Fiesta campaign exceeded its expectations

From The Freep:

http://www.freep.com/article/20091119/BUSI...ts-expectations

Jim Farley, Ford's group vice president of global marketing, said 60% of the public is now aware of the brand, even though the vehicle doesn't go on sale until early next summer.

"If you would have told me that we would have 100 vehicles in the U.S. ... and we would have 60% brand awareness in the segment, I would have said there is no possible way," Farley told journalists Wednesday. "To get 60% awareness in traditional media, it costs somewhere north of $50 million."

While Farley declined to say how much Ford spent on the Fiesta Movement campaign, he said it is a fraction of $50 million.

With the campaign winding down, Ford said Wednesday it plans to hold an event called the Fiesta Movement Awards Celebration for the agents in West Hollywood, Calif., on Dec. 1 to recognize their efforts and creativity. The next day, Ford plans to reveal the U.S. version of the Ford Fiesta at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

pretty awesome campaign Ed....and talk about cost effective..........

Wow, there must be a real ground swell of interest brewing.

Would there be any advantage for major dealerships to have an

example sitting on the showroom floor that people can touch/feel?

the beauty is Dealers will /should be able to hold retail.....shame is some will probably add addendums...ARRRG!

My prediction is that at least for the first year, the Fiesta will be hard to find on dealer lot and hard to buy unless pre-ordered. Yeah, I have a feeling many Ford dealers will be adding things like "paint protection" in order to pad profits on each one sold. It will take at least one year after Fiestas arrive at dealer lots before you see any supply of them sitting in lots looking for buyers. It's going to be one hot car. And if fuel prices go up significantly next summer, forget it. Fiestas will be sold before they get off auto carriers. The new Focus following it could be almost as hot assuming it looks like renderings we have seen. America is ready for hot, well designed small vehicles.

My prediction is that at least for the first year, the Fiesta will be hard to find on dealer lot and hard to buy unless pre-ordered. Yeah, I have a feeling many Ford dealers will be adding things like "paint protection" in order to pad profits on each one sold. It will take at least one year after Fiestas arrive at dealer lots before you see any supply of them sitting in lots looking for buyers. It's going to be one hot car. And if fuel prices go up significantly next summer, forget it. Fiestas will be sold before they get off auto carriers. The new Focus following it could be almost as hot assuming it looks like renderings we have seen. America is ready for hot, well designed small vehicles.

agreed, and here lies the beauty...when demand dwindles ( for want of a better word ) out comes a hot rod model and the new Focus.....all about timing....buy stock........

the beauty is Dealers will /should be able to hold retail.....shame is some will probably add addendums...ARRRG!

Love to hear people's reactions on realizing that Fiesta is a well appointed car that's low cost.

I takes time to undo of decades of small car = cheap junk attitude but this little car is a great start.

Edited by jpd80

Love to hear people's reactions on realizing that Fiesta is a well appointed car that's low cost.

I takes time to undo of decades of small car = cheap junk attitude but this little car is a great start.

I envisage a loaded Fiesta to come close or top 18k, and thats NOT an RS model.... :shades:

Focus will move upwards as well...going to be VERY interesting...loaded compact cars...basically a taste of Euro......

How will US buyers take to well appointed small cars that people like owning, not just all they could afford?

Will they jump at the idea or is buying a small sized luxury vehicle a confusing notion?

Edited by jpd80

How will US buyers take to well appointed small cars that people like owning, not just all they could afford?

Will they jump at the idea or is buying a small sized luxury vehicle a confusing notion?

I think as time goes on well move to a majority in the US of compact cars compared to mid size just liek we did with Full size to midsize 20 years ago. EU has done the same with moving from midsize to compact and now to subcompact. People have wanted a loaded midsize, so if they move to compact, theyll pick a loaded model.

I think as time goes on well move to a majority in the US of compact cars compared to mid size just liek we did with Full size to midsize 20 years ago. EU has done the same with moving from midsize to compact and now to subcompact. People have wanted a loaded midsize, so if they move to compact, theyll pick a loaded model.

And that's where Ford can make up a lot of ground, convincing buyer that downsizing does not mean

giving up all the features of the larger vehicles they're used to. As you say, it worked with the move

from large to Mid Sized vehicles but in order to successfully migrate from from Mid Size to compact

will necessitate the use of correct platforms, clever design and space efficiency is where big gains in

weight reduction and fuel economy will be made.

It's all about having your cake and eating it too.

Does that include the expansion?

Er, that figure may have been for the factory itself I found this announcement on Ford website:

LINK

MEXICO CITY, May 30, 2008 – Ford Motor Company today announced the new Ford Fiesta small car for North America will be produced at the company’s transformed Cuautitlán Assembly Plant beginning in early 2010 and a sporty European hatchback model is being added to the North American lineup alongside the popular sedan.

Transformation of the facility near Mexico City begins this year, as the plant is converted from its current production of F-Series pickups for the Mexican market to small cars for all of North America. The Chihuahua Engine Plant, which builds I-4 engines, also will assemble diesel engines for light- and medium-duty trucks in a variety of global markets. In addition, through a joint venture with Getrag (GFT), Ford will establish a new transmission plant in Guanajuato to support various Ford products. Company officials announced the trio of investments jointly with Mexico President Felipe Calderón Hinojosa.

The new multi-plant development effort represents a $3 billion U.S. investment, including the support of local suppliers. It is Mexico’s largest ever automotive investment. The moves are expected to create approximately 4,500 Ford jobs. Together with all direct and indirect employment at suppliers, the moves affect 30,000 jobs in Mexico.

agreed, and here lies the beauty...when demand dwindles ( for want of a better word ) out comes a hot rod model and the new Focus.....all about timing....buy stock........

Hpefully the Focus will debut with a hot rod model from the get-go. (EB 1.6 or 2.0) The Taurus got a big lift with having the SHO available at launch.

Either of these mid 2010 launches will be 2011 models right? Either will be strong competition for COTY!

Hpefully the Focus will debut with a hot rod model from the get-go. (EB 1.6 or 2.0) The Taurus got a big lift with having the SHO available at launch.

Either of these mid 2010 launches will be 2011 models right? Either will be strong competition for COTY!

I'd think it's almost a sure bet given the importance of this market sector.

Edited by jpd80