2010 Escape XLT

My friend finally got her 2010 Escape, funny thing about it was she was looking at getting an XLT I4 with AWD 203A package and winded coming home with a XLT AWD V6. The only thing she didn't get was the interior color she wanted, winded up getting the charcoal color which she liked after seeing it (didn't care for it on line).

The difference between an AWD vs FWD V6 with X plan was only $500 bucks, so I told her it'd be stupid to not to get it.

Couple impressions....I haven't driven it yet, but she put about 30 miles on it with me being a passenger.

I was very impressed by the interior and build quality. Its only an XLT, but its light years ahead of my 2006 Mustang GT when it comes neat stuff in it. SNYC is awesome and I was impressed that it had a Temp gauge and the base radio sounded pretty good. The interior materials are good, though I do have the say the floor mats seemed cheap. No squeaks from the interior and it rides very nicely. It feels like a more expensive car then it really is.

The V6 power is very impressive...the V6 Escape got some BALLS to it...it pulls really nice. I was also really impressed by the improvement in MPG...her old V6 Tracker was rated 18-20 MPG and the Escape improves upon that by 20% or so!

Edited by silvrsvt

I like the Escape/Mariner V6, just wish they put more sound insulation in the back cargo area where the mufflers are. As it is right now, it's almost as if there is no sound insulation back there, it's very noisey compared to the serenity from the font of the car.

What most people are missing regarding the 2009/2010 Escape is the HUGE driveability improvement of the 2.5L/6 speed over the old 2.3L/5 speed.

I think it was a 4 speed (auto). That powertrain update was HUGE - agreed!

Is there still a manual available? A little 6spd? That'd be a neat little ride - it's a shame they don't offer AWD + 6spd manual in a decent trim combo.

Swizco

What most people are missing regarding the 2009/2010 Escape is the HUGE driveability improvement of the 2.5L/6 speed over the old 2.3L/5 speed.

Exactly.

IIRC, Ford claims that the 2.5 I-4 & 6-speed auto has similar performance to the old 3.0 V6 & 4-speed auto.

Much better fuel economy and the lower cost of the I-4 makes it a great buy.

I think it was a 4 speed (auto). That powertrain update was HUGE - agreed!

Is there still a manual available? A little 6spd? That'd be a neat little ride - it's a shame they don't offer AWD + 6spd manual in a decent trim combo.

Swizco

I test drove a 2.5/6M last year. It left me with the impression that Ford is trying to phase out the Manual tranny in the Escape. Not only is it limited to the bare bones models... The clutch was about as firm as a wet noodle. It gave you absolutely no feed back as to where the clutch engagement point was. I took this thing around about 10 miles and I was never able to shift it smoothly. It also grinded going into gears, which I found odd for a brand new vehicle.

I am sure the Automatic models are much better thought out, but I have to say I was very disappointed with the manual transmission.

I like the Escape/Mariner V6, just wish they put more sound insulation in the back cargo area where the mufflers are. As it is right now, it's almost as if there is no sound insulation back there, it's very noisey compared to the serenity from the font of the car.

I think a lot of that has to do with the cargo package being present or not. If you have it you get a shallow plastic bin under a door in the cargo floor that basically sits right next to the underside of the vehicle. If you don't get that option they fill the void with styrofoam and to me the latter is quieter from that area than the former (with the cargo pkg). We have an '08 with the cargo pkg and the exhaust sound is definitely more pronounced than it was in one I drove without the cargo pkg.

I have a 2008 Limited v6 AWD and I'm really sorry I didn't wait for the '09. I really kind of hate the drivability of the 4 speed in this thing. The '01 I had had more balls and shifted much more aggressively than this '08. Its a nice truck for sure, but the PIP/6 speed I'm sure is so much nicer.

I hear you there. We had an '02 XLT and it was definitely more fun to drive than our '08. Not nearly as nice inside or out though. It's my wife's vehicle and she loves it, but I hate taking on big hills with the 4-speed tranny. It never wants to give me the right gear and when it does it wants to rocket me forward at light speed. She keeps hinting that she wants to buy it when the lease is up but I think we'll check out a new '11 or '12 I4 AWD model if they're still around. It might be the Kuga (maybe not in name) by then which would be all the better I say.