2010 Fusion Hybrid Quirks

joe308

After 7000 miles in my FFH with 500A pkg. I am overall very pleased with the car but wanted to bounce a few things off the rest of you to see if anyone else has experienced them. I know no vehicle is perfect, but there are a few items I really wish Ford would have addressed during the initial testing of this car considering it stickers for almost $30,000.

1) The automatic climate control in cold weather over reacts and blows hot air for 15 minutes before it settles down ( I can't set it higher than 67).

2) Why do the dash vents only rise to horizontal position? My head gets awfully hot with no AC above the chest level in the summer.

3) The sun visors don't fully shield the sun from the windshield and tend to fall back to the up or down positions, keeping them between the clicks can be difficult.

4) Puddle lamps are nice, but not at the expense of eliminating auto dimming rear / side morrors.

5) Remote unlock is SLOW - 2 second delay for front doors and another 2 second delay on second push for rear doors - I just want to get me and my stuff into the car when it's raining!!!

6) There is no FF on CD when playing a song - you can only skip to next or prev track - very annoying if you are listening to a 20 minute song!

7) Trunk lid does not rise well and requires assistance lifting to full upright position - even worse in cold weather.

8) On one occaision, the computer / display did a total reset back to factory settings on a rainy day.

9) On one occaision, the floor mood lighting decided to turn itself on - 1 month later also on a rainy day.

10) Compass frequently displays calibration mode. I've not had the time to do the circle routine in the mall parking lot to see if this resolves it.

11) Sync Health report took 4 days to show on the website. Kept getting errors that the tech people blamed on the primary dealer selection I had made (whay does that matter?). Anyway after the report finally showed up it indicates a "check engine" light condition however I've never experienced the CE light in this car from day one and it runs fine.

11) My front seats are fabric and the padding is so thin I can feel the airbag sensors in my butt - you get used to it but again "annoying".

12) MY FFH electric steering wanders on highway - take your eyes off the road for a few seconds and you're over the lane markers.

13) Emergency handling - probably my biggest gripe. This only happenened once thank goodness, but in an emergengy handling situation avoiding a piece of debris from a truck, my car almost went out of control. I was doing 65 mpg on a dry flat highway and swerved to miss a "projectile" from the truck. The car did not handle the maneuver well at all. It over reacted when I corrected from the swerve and felt like it wanted to roll. I've been driving for many years and have pushed cars to their limit and honestly feel that an inexperienced driver would have wiped out in this situation. The car handles well under normal circumstances, so all I can say is either the electric steering, springing or weight distribution with the batteries is not right for emergency handling.

Looking foward to your comments and experiences with these things!

6) There is no FF on CD when playing a song - you can only skip to next or prev track - very annoying if you are listening to a 20 minute song!

Pressing and releasing the FF button skips to the next track. Pressing and HOLDING the FF button should fast forward through the song. At least that's how it works in my 10 Fusion Sport.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Pressing and releasing the FF button skips to the next track. Pressing and HOLDING the FF button should fast forward through the song. At least that's how it works in my 10 Fusion Sport.

If only they had some type of manual that you could keep in the car that would tell you exactly how to do these types of things.........

:shades:

1. The climate control likely is designed to blow hot air full blast at first to get the interior temp up to a comfortable level, especially in real cold outside temperatures. I know I always turn my manual heat up full blast when I first start driving (after the engine warms up), and I've seen older automatic systems on different brands do the same thing.

3. A trip to the dealer might solve your sunvisor problem. Maybe they can simply be tightened at the pivot.

4. According the the order guide, the Hybid should have an auto-dimming interior mirror. No cars that I know of have auto-dimming outside mirrors. Maybe some high end cars like Mercedes or BMW do.

7. Maybe the trunk is designed to require manual lifting so it does not fly open fast and cause damage or personal injury. To me the bigger problem is if it came down by itself and hit me on the head. If it has gas struts, cold weather always has an slowing effect on those.

10. The compass most likely just needs a manual calibration to correct the problem, as stated in the owner's manual. New vehicles should be manually calibrated when you get them anyway.

12. Is it the electric steering or simply the condition of the road? Maybe the front end alignment is off for some reason and you should have the dealer do an alignment.

If only they had some type of manual that you could keep in the car that would tell you exactly how to do these types of things.........

:shades:

You gave the same answer (about the manual) when I asked a question about my wife's new Marnier Hybrid. I have a question for you. Why are you on this forum? Someone has a basic question that was easily answered by someone else. They now know who to work their radio, and everyone is happy. We all learn from this since the question itself may not have occurred to someone else. That is why there is a forum in the first place. So, the answer to every question is not to check the manual. This is a discussion among people who have a common interest or concern. There is no place here for someone who sarcastically chimes in on every post that the person should check the manual. I am trying to say this respectfully. Okay, go ahead and say someone crude back to me. You seem irritated with almost any question anyone has asked. Maybe, you could check a psychology text (" manual " ) and find out why you have more a thousand posts on here telling people how stupid they are for not checking their owner's manual. Maybe you should check yours.

You gave the same answer (about the manual) when I asked a question about my wife's new Marnier Hybrid. I have a question for you. Why are you on this forum? Someone has a basic question that was easily answered by someone else. They now know who to work their radio, and everyone is happy. We all learn from this since the question itself may not have occurred to someone else. That is why there is a forum in the first place. So, the answer to every question is not to check the manual. This is a discussion among people who have a common interest or concern. There is no place here for someone who sarcastically chimes in on every post that the person should check the manual. I am trying to say this respectfully. Okay, go ahead and say someone crude back to me. You seem irritated with almost any question anyone has asked. Maybe, you could check a psychology text (" manual " ) and find out why you have more a thousand posts on here telling people how stupid they are for not checking their owner's manual. Maybe you should check yours.

The mfr goes to a lot of trouble to put that type of information into the owner's manual so that people can find the answer to these types of questions. In addition to answering an occasional question about a specific issue, the owner's manual will also point out many features and options that the owner would never know about.

There are a lot of things that are not in the OM or the OM is unclear about so you have to ask for help.

What I do not understand is why someone would take the time to log into a forum, ask a question and wait anywhere from a few minutes to a few days for a total stranger to give them the answer when all they have to do is take 5 minutes and look up the answer in the owner's manual which is right in the glovebox and is also available online.

Look at it this way. If you were sitting at your desk at work with a dictionary and internet access and you wanted to know how to spell a word, would you:

a) look it up in the dictionary

B) go to websters.com and look it up there

c) post it on a website and wait for someone to tell me

This is no different. I am encouraging people to read their owner's manuals and yes, it's done with a lot of sarcasm.

So other than "I don't like your attitude" can you explain why it's better to post a question than to actually read the owner's manual?

The mfr goes to a lot of trouble to put that type of information into the owner's manual so that people can find the answer to these types of questions. In addition to answering an occasional question about a specific issue, the owner's manual will also point out many features and options that the owner would never know about.

There are a lot of things that are not in the OM or the OM is unclear about so you have to ask for help.

What I do not understand is why someone would take the time to log into a forum, ask a question and wait anywhere from a few minutes to a few days for a total stranger to give them the answer when all they have to do is take 5 minutes and look up the answer in the owner's manual which is right in the glovebox and is also available online.

Look at it this way. If you were sitting at your desk at work with a dictionary and internet access and you wanted to know how to spell a word, would you:

a) look it up in the dictionary

B) go to websters.com and look it up there

c) post it on a website and wait for someone to tell me

The answer is that for some people a 286 page owners manual looks like a 13000 foot mountian. I read the entire owners manual for my wife's vehicle because I knew she never would do it. People use these forums because they may not even know how to ask the question well enough to know where to even look for the answer. Even though I read the manual for my Fusion, I have learned a great deal at the Ford Fusion Forum.

This is no different. I am encouraging people to read their owner's manuals and yes, it's done with a lot of sarcasm.

So other than "I don't like your attitude" can you explain why it's better to post a question than to actually read the owner's manual?

The answer is that for some people a 286 page owners manual looks like a 13000 foot mountian.

Let me get this straight. They're smart enough to use a computer with internet access and a web browser to read and post forum questions but they're not smart enough to read a simple owner's manual? If they're that dumb then they probably shouldn't be operating a motor vehicle in the first place.

I'm sorry you're offended but I think reading the manual and trying to find the answer yourself before posting it is just common courtesy to everyone else.

Let me get this straight. They're smart enough to use a computer with internet access and a web browser to read and post forum questions but they're not smart enough to read a simple owner's manual? If they're that dumb then they probably shouldn't be operating a motor vehicle in the first place.

I'm sorry you're offended but I think reading the manual and trying to find the answer yourself before posting it is just common courtesy to everyone else.

I agree that finding your own answer is preferable. However, I can assure you that some people don't e even know the question to ask. I am just going to let this go. You have missed my entire point. Your reponses to postings on the forum are rude and add nothing.

I agree that finding your own answer is preferable. However, I can assure you that some people don't e even know the question to ask. I am just going to let this go. You have missed my entire point. Your responses to postings on the forum are rude and add nothing.

I have to agree with FIRST READ THE OM. Then if you are still lost post here or elsewhere. Most of your list is nit picky. I did notice some of them the Ac vents not tilting up high enough, and shared that with Ford at a Ford Fusion Owners rally. It gave me and the Ford engineers the opportunity to share my likes and dislikes/wants with them. Ford PAID me $150 for my time and input. I am sure I gave them every pennies worth as they spent 3 hrs with me but about on ave 1 hr with others. I was told things like "Wow that is just the type of info we need for the next design."

Ford does listen and the FFH will be even better in 2012 when the next gen comes out. I will look at it for some of my ideas as I bet they will be there. I will also look for improvements I would have never thought possible and smile at the thoughtfulness involved.

After 7000 miles in my FFH with 500A pkg. I am overall very pleased with the car but wanted to bounce a few things off the rest of you to see if anyone else has experienced them. I know no vehicle is perfect, but there are a few items I really wish Ford would have addressed during the initial testing of this car considering it stickers for almost $30,000.

1) The automatic climate control in cold weather over reacts and blows hot air for 15 minutes before it settles down ( I can't set it higher than 67).

2) Why do the dash vents only rise to horizontal position? My head gets awfully hot with no AC above the chest level in the summer.

3) The sun visors don't fully shield the sun from the windshield and tend to fall back to the up or down positions, keeping them between the clicks can be difficult.

4) Puddle lamps are nice, but not at the expense of eliminating auto dimming rear / side morrors.

5) Remote unlock is SLOW - 2 second delay for front doors and another 2 second delay on second push for rear doors - I just want to get me and my stuff into the car when it's raining!!!

7) Trunk lid does not rise well and requires assistance lifting to full upright position - even worse in cold weather.

8) On one occaision, the computer / display did a total reset back to factory settings on a rainy day.

9) On one occaision, the floor mood lighting decided to turn itself on - 1 month later also on a rainy day.

10) Compass frequently displays calibration mode. I've not had the time to do the circle routine in the mall parking lot to see if this resolves it.

11) Sync Health report took 4 days to show on the website. Kept getting errors that the tech people blamed on the primary dealer selection I had made (whay does that matter?). Anyway after the report finally showed up it indicates a "check engine" light condition however I've never experienced the CE light in this car from day one and it runs fine.

11) My front seats are fabric and the padding is so thin I can feel the airbag sensors in my butt - you get used to it but again "annoying".

12) MY FFH electric steering wanders on highway - take your eyes off the road for a few seconds and you're over the lane markers.

13) Emergency handling - probably my biggest gripe. This only happenened once thank goodness, but in an emergengy handling situation avoiding a piece of debris from a truck, my car almost went out of control. I was doing 65 mpg on a dry flat highway and swerved to miss a "projectile" from the truck. The car did not handle the maneuver well at all. It over reacted when I corrected from the swerve and felt like it wanted to roll. I've been driving for many years and have pushed cars to their limit and honestly feel that an inexperienced driver would have wiped out in this situation. The car handles well under normal circumstances, so all I can say is either the electric steering, springing or weight distribution with the batteries is not right for emergency handling.

I have noticed some of these same issues - resetting of the computer (although it kept the odometer total, it wiped my avg mileage, bummer). The vents I definitely noticed, as well as the trunk floor material/ tire cover.

I am however very happy with the steering and overall handling. No problems with the visors - actually i like the way they pull out.

The one thing I would add to the list is that the seat could be a bit more comfortable for long distance driving, but I am comparing to my old 300M which has amazingly comfortable seats.

I agree that finding your own answer is preferable. However, I can assure you that some people don't e even know the question to ask. I am just going to let this go. You have missed my entire point. Your reponses to postings on the forum are rude and add nothing.

If they don't know the question to ask, how are they going to ask the question here? Your argument holds no water because no matter what their issue or question they are certainly capable of opening and reading the OM for 5 minutes first. Why is that too much to ask?

I find it rude for people to ask others to do something they could do themselves in just a few minutes. And 99% of the time I will give them the answer and even look it up for them if I have time, but I also make the point that they could have done the same thing themselves a lot quicker and more easily.

And, I must say, what's wrong with this? I've noticed it and I think it's the perfectly correct behavior. After all, you do want it to get to that temperature that you set, don't you?

I haven't noticed this as a problem for me. Of course, I'm 5' 8". You might be significantly taller.

As has been noted by others, autodimming outside mirrors aren't really prevalent. The internal mirror that I have is autodimming, as should be yours (as it is a standard).

This I have noticed, but I think a couple seconds is not an undue delay.

Somebody else talked about this, although I must admit that I have never tried it.

I don't see this as a problem. There are tradeoffs for trunk lid that is "looser," if you well; it makes it too easy for the trunk lid to pop all the way open when you don't necessarily want it to. I like the trunk lid's property on this as it is, although, as you noted, there are downsides to it.

I've run into this (see separate thread) myself.

Haven't seen these.

And -- what's the complaint here, when you take your eyes off the road "for a few seconds"? Other than Mercedes' auto-lane-correction feature, I am not aware of anybody else who can avoid this.

Haven't felt that last one, and I've had to swerve a few times myself (in my ~18K miles) to avoid debris. It seemed to me that the emergency handling is just fine, so far, as far as I'm concerned.

Guys Please,

akirby I think you did miss his point. I am one of the original BON Member since the forum started.

I have no where the number of post that you do and you have only been a member since 2006.

With that said, You might come across as a "Know it all" and add rude to that. Many people may be

offended. 2600+ Post Really !l

To set the record straight I don't as a rule always read my manuals. I have way to much going on during the day and many times ask a question you feel could be answered by reading the manual. These questions only come to mind when I reading this board.

Sorry If some of us don't meet you expectations. Many of us have lives that consume our time away from this board.

I'm sure that since you are such an authority on the BON Boards that you certainly can not be on everything.

I wonder how many questions you might have ask that you could have read the manual.

Lincolnman

The auto climate control is supposed to do that: to get you to your desired temp as quickly as possible. You can override it with the fan speed button.

The trunk is designed that way on purpose. In case you accidentally pop the trunk putting your keys away, the trunk doesn't fly open unnoticed leaving your valuables exposed.

Guys Please,

akirby I think you did miss his point. I am one of the original BON Member since the forum started.

I have no where the number of post that you do and you have only been a member since 2006.

With that said, You might come across as a "Know it all" and add rude to that. Many people may be

offended. 2600+ Post Really !l

To set the record straight I don't as a rule always read my manuals. I have way to much going on during the day and many times ask a question you feel could be answered by reading the manual. These questions only come to mind when I reading this board.

Sorry If some of us don't meet you expectations. Many of us have lives that consume our time away from this board.

I'm sure that since you are such an authority on the BON Boards that you certainly can not be on everything.

I wonder how many questions you might have ask that you could have read the manual.

Lincolnman

My post count is rather average compared to some of the others. What does that have to do with anything?

I don't ask questions that I know are in the manual without at least checking the manual first. That's all I ask. Simple courtesy.

I find it extremely rude when people don't do that. If that makes me rude then so be it. I don't care.

This was at least understandable before electronic online manuals were available since there were a lot of times when you didn't have access to the manual. Now you can go here and have an answer to your question in LESS time than it would take to post a question and wait for an answer.

Ford Owner's Manuals

And for the record - 90% of the time I do answer the question if I can and I'll even go look it up online if I don't. But I also point out that the poster could have answered it on their own. My point is to help them get their own answer more quickly next time.

In this case the question had already been answered and I decided to add some sarcastic humor which obviously you don't appreciate.

You can always ignore me if I offend you that much with my 2600+ posts........

Or you can lighten up.

What a BI%&H !

POOF BE GONE !

Now that's not found in the manual either!

I like reading about issues and problems people bring to the boards about their vehicles. I may not have an answer but I don't think insulting the person is right either. Most of the statements the original poster made were observations and are not found in the manual. I just test drove a new FFH so some information in this thread is helpful for me anyway.