Toyota To Stop Selling Several Models Due To Recall

PREMiERdrum

just me, but does the reaction to hearing ABC airing have a touch of arrogance to it....Toyota Suspends Sales of 8 Models After Accelerator Pedals Keep Sticking

ABC News Reports Highlighted Deaths, Hundreds of Accidents Linked to Hazard

By MEGAN CHUCHMACH

Jan. 26, 2010 —

Toyota has suspended sales of eight of its most popular vehicle models while the motor company investigates sticking accelerator pedals, following reports by ABC News' Brian Ross that examined incidents of random acceleration, some of which resulted in fatalities.

Toyota dealers across the country have been instructed not to sell the 2009-2010 RAV4, 2009-2010 Corolla, 2009-2010 Matrix, 2005-2010 Avalon, 2010 Highlander, 2007-2010 Tundra, 2008-2010 Sequoia, and certain 2007-2010 Camry models.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE ON THE RUNAWAY TOYOTAS.

"This action is necessary until a remedy is finalized," said Group Vice President and Toyota Division General Manager Bob Carter in a statement today. "We're making every effort to address this situation for our customers as quickly as possible."

The major announcement comes just days after Toyota recalled 2.3 million vehicles to correct the sudden unexplained acceleration in some of its models, after ABC News informed the company that the latest in a long series of investigative reports on the issue was about to air.

Safety expert Sean Kane told ABC News that since last fall, when Toyota said it had solved the acceleration problem with proposed changes to gas pedals and a recall of 4.2 million cars with suspect floor mats, more than 60 new cases of runaway Toyotas have been reported.

In the most tragic incident, on the day after Christmas, four people died in Southlake, Texas, a suburb of Dallas, when a 2008 Toyota sped off the road, through a fence and landed upside down in a pond. The car's floor mats were found in the trunk of the car, where owners had been advised to put them as part of the recall.

"There's one thing that didn't cause the accident," said Southlake police spokesman Lt. Ben Brown.

Toyota Accelerator Problem

Federal safety investigators have joined in the investigation, according to Lt. Brown.

Toyota executives had insisted in November that the recall of the floor mats in certain models and a proposed redesign of the accelerator pedal would fix the problem.

Reports of possible electronic problems or on-board computer glitches were strongly denied by the Toyota executives. "There is no evidence to support these theories," said Bob Daly, a Toyota executive.

But the continued reports of runaway Toyotas since the November recall have shaken the company's firm denials.

In another case, in New Jersey, a Toyota owner was able to make it to a local dealer with his car racing out of control, even though he says his foot was not on the gas pedal and the floor mats were not involved.

Kevin Haggerty, a salesman from Pittstown, New Jersey, said he had seen an ABCNews.com report about how to control a car experiencing unexpected acceleration -- by shifting into neutral.

With his brakes smoking, and the engine racing, Haggerty summoned a Toyota manager to witness what was happening with his car.

Haggerty says after consulting with Toyota, the local dealer replaced the gas pedal and throttle and their sensors.

"We now have that evidence right in front of Toyota, they're witnessing it and they can't walk away from it," said safety analyst Kane, who is with the private firm Safety Research & Strategies.

It was the top story on CBS Evening News, World News on ABC, and NBC Nightly News. CNN and MSNBC have hit is twice already, three times on Fox. My station just sent out breaking news email alerts about the recall and we're soliciting viewer responses, specifically from Toyota owners and shoppers. The media has picked it up and they're currently running with it.

Hello, shit? Meet fan.

In the on-line edition of the Wall Street Journal, it's the top six articles of the auto industry news section. Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of arrogant pricks. Fuck 'em all.

May work to Ford's benefit:

Heard on the Street_ Ford Could Win From Toyota\'s Lack of Focus - WSJ.com.pdf

Heard on the Street_ Ford Could Win From Toyota\'s Lack of Focus - WSJ.com.pdf

Cue standard Toyota apologist responses:

"It's the supplier's fault. It's just a batch of bad parts from an American supplier, Toyota's quality isn't affected."

"Toyota is doing the right thing by stopping the sale of these vehicles because they genuinely care for people's safety. If this were one of the Big 3, they wouldn't have raised a finger to address the issue until people started to die. Ford killed like, what, thousands of people with their rollover prone Explorer!"

"The only vehicles affected are made in the US. Typical US made crap. Toyota needs to go back to Japanese engineering, Japanese manufacturing, and Japanese designing."

"I have a Toyota that has 200,000 trouble free miles on it, so this report of a recall must be false. My 200,000 mile Toyota has been flawless besides your usual maintenance, like oil changes, new alternator, new radiator, new paint job, replaced water pump and fuel pump, rebuilt tranny, new engine (that Toyota paid for, see how great they are?), balljoints, brand new frame....."

The sad thing is these are all parodies of actual comments I frequently hear from the Toyota faithful.

Actually, the Toyota sycophants are posting those very comments. To which I've given them links to LEXUS owners, with the 100% Japanese manufactured gas pedal assembly in a 100% Japanese manufactured having the same problems.

• Like 1

Come on trolls, tell us this is really just another example of how much Toyota cares about the safety of their gaijin customers...yea right.

If this was an American company people would be screaming that it's proof of their low quality vehicles...but not Toyota.

Where is the D.C.Car Examiner? we need a professional spin here!

+1

Their top story right now on TTAC is "Hyundai's Direct Injection has its Limits"

Oddly, nothing about the recall at all!

And we expected anything else?

I particularly like this paragraph from the MSN article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35086922/ns/business-autos/?gt1=43001

They just recalled the cars out of the goodness of their heart in the unlikely event the pedal might stick. Oh that's right, automakers recall vehicles for no reason all the time.

Then the next paragraph:

I guess they could forsee a problem before it happened, but cannot forsee the solution.

Love it!

Im just laughing at people right now. So many had their heads in the sand concerning the quality of all foreign makes that this is awesome.

And they still do. As many know, I frequent a Tundra site and most the owners are still in denial calling this a knee-jerk reaction and completely a driver issue. But they still love to speak to all the Ford CC recalls and Explorer/Firestone recalls. Well, until you provide them the # of vehicles sold, based on the % of vehicles that displayed the problem or were impacted. Then they kind of stop replying and try to change the subject, since the %'s work in Fords favor and portrays Toyota in a negative light.

So lets start a growing list of huge Toyota problems of recent history, see what we can come up with. I'll start.

1) Tundra Rust recall

2) Tacoma Rust recall

3) Prius braking investigation

4) Sudden Acceleration Recall

5) Tundra tie-rod recall

6) Tundra passenger air-bag recall

7) Tundra camshaft recall

8) Engine sludge recall

Come on guys (and gals), lets keep it going. I just listed a few off the top of my head. Lets see just how "perfect" these Toyotas are. Not saying Ford hasn't had their share of issues, but it just amazes me all the problems Toyota has, but people seem to turn the other cheek.

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):

PONTIAC / VIBE 2009-2010

Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: JAN 21, 2010

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V018000 N/A

NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: POWER TRAIN:CLUTCH ASSEMBLY:PEDAL/LINKAGE

Potential Number of Units Affected:

Summary:

GENERAL MOTORS IS RECALLING MODEL YEAR 2009-2010 PONTIAC VIBE. DUE TO THE MANNER IN WHICH THE FRICTION LEVER INTERACTS WITH THE SLIDING SURFACE OF THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL INSIDE THE PEDAL SENSOR ASSEMBLY, THE SLIDING SURFACE OF THE LEVER MAY BECOME SMOOTH DURING VEHICLE OPERATION. IN THIS CONDITION, IF CONDENSATION OCCURS ON THE SURFACE, AS MAY OCCUR FROM HEATER OPERATION (WITHOUT A/C) WHEN THE PEDAL ASSEMBLY IS COLD, THE FRICTION WHEN THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL IS OPERATED MAY INCREASE, WHICH MAY RESULT IN THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL BECOMING HARDER TO DEPRESS, SLOWER TO RETURN, OR, IN THE WORST CASE, MECHANICALLY STUCK IN A PARTIALLY DEPRESSED POSITION.

Consequence:

THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL MAY BECOME HARD TO DEPRESS, SLOW TO RETURN TO IDLE, OR, IN THE WORST CASE, MECHANICALLY STUCK IN A PARTIALLY DEPRESSED POSITION, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:

GENERAL MOTORS HAS NOT YET PROVIDED A REMEDY PLAN OR AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668 OR AT THE OWNER CENTER AT WWW.GMOWNERCENTER.COM

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):

PONTIAC / VIBE 2009-2010

Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: JAN 21, 2010

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V018000 N/A

NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: POWER TRAIN:CLUTCH ASSEMBLY:PEDAL/LINKAGE

Potential Number of Units Affected:

Summary:

GENERAL MOTORS IS RECALLING MODEL YEAR 2009-2010 PONTIAC VIBE. DUE TO THE MANNER IN WHICH THE FRICTION LEVER INTERACTS WITH THE SLIDING SURFACE OF THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL INSIDE THE PEDAL SENSOR ASSEMBLY, THE SLIDING SURFACE OF THE LEVER MAY BECOME SMOOTH DURING VEHICLE OPERATION. IN THIS CONDITION, IF CONDENSATION OCCURS ON THE SURFACE, AS MAY OCCUR FROM HEATER OPERATION (WITHOUT A/C) WHEN THE PEDAL ASSEMBLY IS COLD, THE FRICTION WHEN THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL IS OPERATED MAY INCREASE, WHICH MAY RESULT IN THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL BECOMING HARDER TO DEPRESS, SLOWER TO RETURN, OR, IN THE WORST CASE, MECHANICALLY STUCK IN A PARTIALLY DEPRESSED POSITION.

Consequence:

THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL MAY BECOME HARD TO DEPRESS, SLOW TO RETURN TO IDLE, OR, IN THE WORST CASE, MECHANICALLY STUCK IN A PARTIALLY DEPRESSED POSITION, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:

GENERAL MOTORS HAS NOT YET PROVIDED A REMEDY PLAN OR AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668 OR AT THE OWNER CENTER AT WWW.GMOWNERCENTER.COM

AB is also reporting a "stop sale" order on new Vibe units. Fortunately for GM, there are only SIX new Vibes left on lots across the country!

AB is also reporting a "stop sale" order on new Vibe units. Fortunately for GM, there are only SIX new Vibes left on lots across the country!

They might as well just chuck them off of a cliff. 6 units? Psshh... that's nothing. Why risk it for what? $25K in profit from those sales?

Edited by Sixt9coug

The cost benefits are still going to outweigh the potential costs

Perhaps, if commonization is managed/executed well. Ask Toyota in about three years when the dust has settled.

We are living at a historical moment for the industry and an inflection point for Toyota (and its brand). Fast forward a few years -- I doubt Toyota comes out of without some major damage. Heck, initial blame was 'layering' of floormats, then floormat design, then electric control module, now pedals. Where is root cause - yet to be revealed , much less, acknowledged. Toyota assertion that the 'issue' is limited to the US market - with vehicles shariing common global footwell/pedal designs - I think not. More a function of having to deal with the US legal system than taking responsibility for global design.

The process unfolding at Toyota isn't exactly being managed like that of Tylenol, who successfully managed a product/brand disaster. It will be interesting.

I just talked a co-worker of mine into trading her 2007 Prius for a new Fusion Hybrid. She knows that her car isn't part of the recall but she has experienced unintended acceleration with her Prius once already and is scared that it could happen again. She called it a "driving time bomb". hysterical.gif

She has already test driven the Fusion and was blown away by it, especially Sync and the LCD dash. She plans on buying it this weekend. I can't wait to check it out and see what she thinks of it compared to the Prius.

Edited by SneakyE

Is there any comparison, other than calling both hybrids? The Fusion blows away the Prius! IMHO.

That's why I'm anxious to see what she thinks. The Prius only has one thing going for it, gas mileage. Handling, performance and comfort are all mediocre at best. She will be surprised to see how nice it is to drive a hybrid that is actually fun to drive with solid performance and comfort.

I think the Fusion is the perfect vehicle to draw sales away from the Asian imports (especially Toyota).

Wow, in the 2+ years I've been registered on this forum I have finally broken the 10 post threshold. And 2 of those posts are from today. I'm really burning up the boards now.stats.gif

The process unfolding at Toyota isn't exactly being managed like that of Tylenol, who successfully managed a product/brand disaster. It will be interesting.

Well, to be fair to Tylenol, the problem with poisoned pills could have literally happened to any other brand on the market through no fault of their own. They were just unlucky as hell, so the public didn't hold a grudge over it.

Compare that Toyota's reaction to this, which appears to be one of confusion and deflecting responsibility, and you could end up with a lot of dissatisfied former owners.

Damage control Toyota style....On a related note, Toyota dealers are also reportedly getting instructions from the Mother Ship on how to answer questions related to the recall. AN editor James B. Treece reports that when asked if any accidents have been reported, dealers are encouraged to respond, "The number of accidents is still under investigation" without further confirmation. As Treece notes, the spin continues, as just a simple yes or no would suffice.....Dean style " Shitloads, and a bunch of deaths as well...."

It's funny. All the local news stations have comments sections and the toyota lemmings aren't budging. They say they don't care if their car goes out of control, they have good luck and reliability with their toyotas. They have owned american cars in the past and will never go back. Sad to see such ignorance. Nothing like comparing 80's-90's vehicles to the stuff coming off the line today.

Supplier: "It isn't us..."

As has been publically stated by Toyota, we have no knowledge of any accidents or injuries that have resulted from this rare potential condition. Based on information that Toyota has provided us, we are aware of fewer than a dozen instances where this condition has occurred, and in no instance did the accelerator actually become stuck in a partially depressed condition.

As Toyota stated, this recall is different from and unrelated to the “sudden, unintended acceleration issue” which was the subject of the November 2009 Toyota recall. In the November recall, the pedals in Toyota models dated back to model year 2002. CTS became a pedal supplier in 2005. Accordingly, our products are not implicated by the November 2009 recall. The products we supply to Toyota, including the pedals covered by the recent recall, have been manufactured to Toyota’s design specifications.

Toyota is a small, but important, customer of CTS, representing approximately 3% of our annual sales. CTS has been actively working with Toyota for awhile to develop a new pedal to meet tougher specifications from Toyota. The newly designed pedal is now tested and parts are beginning to ship to some Toyota factories.

LINK - CTS News Release