Toyota To Stop Selling Several Models Due To Recall

PREMiERdrum

So here is an example: Buyer test drives a new Tundra and asks the salesman "I've heard there is a big safety recall on these, has this truck had the repair done?"

Salesman: "Um...er...no."

Buyer: "why not"

Salesman: "we don't know how to fix them yet

How bout this example: Dude gets a ride to Toyota dealer tomorrow to take delivery of his brand-new car. Dealer tells him he can't have it because of that annoying sticky pedal thingy. Dealer tells Dude not to worry because as soon as we can figure what the hell is wrong, we,ll fix it as soon as we can......................Dude tells dealer he wants his deposit back.

What do you suppose would happen if dealer told Dude he couldn't have deposit back?

How bout this example: Dude gets a ride to Toyota dealer tomorrow to take delivery of his brand-new car. Dealer tells him he can't have it because of that annoying sticky pedal thingy. Dealer tells Dude not to worry because as soon as we can figure what the hell is wrong, we,ll fix it as soon as we can......................Dude tells dealer he wants his deposit back.

What do you suppose would happen if dealer told Dude he couldn't have deposit back?

CBS News NYC 11pm, interviewed with a family. They tried to pick-up their Highlander today, but was told about the stop selling. They were turned back! They originally ordered the vehicle on Jan 5, 10!

Their top story right now on TTAC is "Hyundai's Direct Injection has its Limits"

Oddly, nothing about the recall at all!

They picked it up now and the image they are using is not very flattering...

I know that people's safety is at risk and that is a serious issue... BUT Is anyone else having fun watching Toyota self destruct? :hysterical:

toyotasafetymonth-466x350.jpg

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 1

good question!!

mine is:

HOW ABOUT REFUNDS FOR PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT ONE YESTERDAY?

LAST WEEK?

. .

LAST MONTH?

. . .

LAST YEAR?

Some of the cars involved are 6 years old. How long has Toyota actually known about this problem? I'm convinced they would have covered it up like any other problem they've had if people hadn't have been killed, and they hadn't have known the Feds weren't far behind.

Edited by PolarBear
  • Like 1

I particularly like this paragraph from the MSN article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35086922/ns/business-autos/?gt1=43001

They just recalled the cars out of the goodness of their heart in the unlikely event the pedal might stick. Oh that's right, automakers recall vehicles for no reason all the time.

Then the next paragraph:

I guess they could forsee a problem before it happened, but cannot forsee the solution.

Toyota knew there was a problem since March 2007 and made a material change in Febuary 2008 but the problems remained...My link

Edited by F250

Are they recalling them in other parts of the world as well?

I haven't taken the time to read any comments about this situation any where but here, but I imagine there are lots Toyota apologists out there blathering on about how great Toyota is for going above and beyond with this "voluntary recall" sloley for humanitarian reasons. I think that for there to be serious long term damage to their reputation, it needs to be shown that Toyota knew about this problem for a significant length of time and did nothing about it. If they find that they somehow did a cost/benefit analysis that included the value of a human life they could find themselves in it really deep.

• Like 2

Hasn't happened at Ford for a while.

But it has happened a couple times for GM in the recent past: Camaro (battery cable, IIRC); the first run of Lambda crossovers (airbag, IIRC).

do-not-sell and do-not-ship are the same thing.

I just read a post here within the past week whre someone at OAC said the Flex had an issue and a do-not-ship order

do-not-sell and do-not-ship are the same thing.

I just read a post here within the past week whre someone at OAC said the Flex had an issue and a do-not-ship order

They are not the same thing at all. With a do-not-ship, dealers are usually still permitted to sell the vehicles they already have in inventory.

This being a Ford fan site, most (but not all) of us can agree to our love of Fords. Perhaps a second thing that most (but again, not all) of us can agree to is our dislike of Toyota. So, I will admit I have more than a bit of a smirk on my face right now.

Totally what I was thinking/doing! Bout time this happens!

• Like 1

While I like to see Ford benefit from this (helps me too as I currently hold a chunk of F common and F preferred) I hate to think of how this effects people who either sell the product, or worse yet own it.

My sister who lives in NY just called me telling me that this morning she went to the nearest Ford dealer to trade in her 2008 highlander and got a 2010 Edge. She said that she lost at least 9 thousands dollar by the trade in. The dealer told her that even though 2008 highlander is not in the recall list, but the resale value could be hurt. Now she is the second person in my whole family who own an American Car. The other one is me.

• Like 1

My sister who lives in NY just called me telling me that this morning she went to the nearest Ford dealer to trade in her 2008 highlander and got a 2010 Edge. She said that she lost at least 9 thousands dollar by the trade in. The dealer told her that even though 2008 highlander is not in the recall list, but the resale value could be hurt. Now she is the second person in my whole family who own an American Car. The other one is me.

Gotta start some where...2 is better than 1! :)

Really, though, sucks for her loss. My guess, a lot of people are going to come to that same harsh realization that Toyota isn't the holy grail of resale value come trade-in time! Plus, I would say the dealer pulled a bit of a fast one on her to take advantage of the news and she fell for it.

• Like 1

Front page news on Yahoo! Big ole picture! Love it! :happy feet:

http://www.freep.com/article/20100127/BUSINESS01/100127023/1318/U.S.-Toyota-had-to-stop-troubled-production

Reading between the lines --

David Strickland, the new chief of the National Highway Safety Administration, said Toyota had consulted with regulators before making its move Tuesday.

"Toyota's decision was an aggressive one, and one that was the legally and morally correct thing to do," Strickland said.

Either you do it or we are ordering you to do it and it will look better coming from you.

I figured Toyota would wait till today at like 6 to make the announcement -- right before the State of the Union speach.

Edited by jasonj80

This being a Ford fan site, most (but not all) of us can agree to our love of Fords. Perhaps a second thing that most (but again, not all) of us can agree to is our dislike of Toyota. So, I will admit I have more than a bit of a smirk on my face right now.

Just a few years ago, when Toyota was charging past Ford and GM towards the top sales position in the US and world, and seemingly could do no wrong, I remember thinking "no company is invincible, someday they will have problems, for the sake of Ford I just hope it is sooner than later." Well maybe this is "it."

That said, I do feel for those directly affected, e.g. salemen. Also I hope no one else gets hurt or killed until things get straightened out.

I can barely fathom the intense discussions which have gone on within Toyota among engineering, managment, and legal over the past few days. That could hardly have been fun.

To summarize, I guess what goes around, comes around.

There is a saying...... "what is your strength, will become your weakness".

So it has become with Toyota - commonized engineering (globally) will one day be cited as the enabling root cause if the truth is ever revealed (or admitted). Will be interesting to see if global business/engineering practices get closer attention before just jumping into commonization initiatives...

Gotta start some where...2 is better than 1! :)

Really, though, sucks for her loss. My guess, a lot of people are going to come to that same harsh realization that Toyota isn't the holy grail of resale value come trade-in time! Plus, I would say the dealer pulled a bit of a fast one on her to take advantage of the news and she fell for it.

The dealer said that Toyota just kept expanding their recall list. If 2008 highlander is included in the list few days later, they would not be able to resale it.

There is a saying...... "what is your strength, will become your weakness".

So it has become with Toyota - commonized engineering (globally) will one day be cited as the enabling root cause if the truth is ever revealed (or admitted). Will be interesting to see if global business/engineering practices get closer attention before just jumping into commonization initiatives...

The cost benefits are still going to outweigh the potential costs

Cue standard Toyota apologist responses:

"It's the supplier's fault. It's just a batch of bad parts from an American supplier, Toyota's quality isn't affected."

"Toyota is doing the right thing by stopping the sale of these vehicles because they genuinely care for people's safety. If this were one of the Big 3, they wouldn't have raised a finger to address the issue until people started to die. Ford killed like, what, thousands of people with their rollover prone Explorer!"

"The only vehicles affected are made in the US. Typical US made crap. Toyota needs to go back to Japanese engineering, Japanese manufacturing, and Japanese designing."

"I have a Toyota that has 200,000 trouble free miles on it, so this report of a recall must be false. My 200,000 mile Toyota has been flawless besides your usual maintenance, like oil changes, new alternator, new radiator, new paint job, replaced water pump and fuel pump, rebuilt tranny, new engine (that Toyota paid for, see how great they are?), balljoints, brand new frame....."

The sad thing is these are all parodies of actual comments I frequently hear from the Toyota faithful.

• Like 1