Why doesn't Ford build glove box lighting?

gloveboxlights

You are correct. The quality was not there in a '99 Taurus. Really any Taurus pre '08 for that matter. I've seen them really nickel and dime people. But you know what? You probably got it real cheap, right? So now, after your repairs, you have a very nice driving vehicle you might have $4k in. Not too bad. They turned the corner though. They heard this complaint years ago and are addressing it. A little late to the party on that one.

About the missing bolts. Can you elaborate more on that. When you say "quarter panel" do you mean front fender or door panel. The quarter panels are welded in. Maybe the ground effect? I was going to check that on some lot vehicles. I don't know, maybe they're all like that. Built for the bolt, but a bean counter decided they weren't necessary. I could see one bolt, but three almost sounds intentional.

After talking with my dad to verify what screws/bolts were missing, he informed me that there were 2 screws missing and one loose on the wheel housing. It was where the left quarter panel links to the innershield.

He took it back to the dealership and it took them 15 minutes to have it back to specification.

My dad noticed the missing screws by observing the alignment to the car in that region and it was misaligned.

Brand new factory car did not get delivered completed.

Edited by gloveboxlights

After talking with my dad to verify what screws/bolts were missing, he informed me that there were 2 screws missing and one loose on the wheel housing. It was where the left quarter panel links to the innershield.

He took it back to the dealership and it took them 15 minutes to have it back to specification.

My dad noticed the missing screws by observing the alignment to the car in that region and it was misaligned.

Brand new factory car did not get delivered completed.

You know, stuff happens. Humans aren't perfect. Sucks it happened, but the bottom line is that it was resolved in a timely manner...that is what is important.

Why don't you put the glasses in the overhead glasses flip-out bin? The passenger MAP light is pointed toward the PASSENGER as to not distract the driver. I don't remember ever seeing a glove box light that you could very easily read a map with....

No overhead bin in my 2010 SEL, although the headliner sure looks like it's built to house one. Do the LTD and SHO models have them??

Edited by 2010TB

No overhead bin in my 2010 SEL, although the headliner sure looks like it's built to house one. Do the LTD and SHO models have them??

I'd assume Limited models have one - SHOs do, here's a picture:

0902_07_z+2010_ford_taurus_SHO+interior_view.jpg

That surprises me that it doesn't have a sunglasses holder - would you mind taking a picture of that area for us to see.

(You'll also notice the lock on the glove box if you look closely).

I'd assume Limited models have one - SHOs do, here's a picture:

That surprises me that it doesn't have a sunglasses holder - would you mind taking a picture of that area for us to see.

My camera is challenged at short distance... but I have the overhead light controls and that's it. I suspect it may have to do not having the moon/sun roof.

You're talking about an '05 Focus - I'm sure most of that's been fixed for the 2012 model.

As for the Ranger - seriously? Ranger? You're complaing that a RANGER doesn't have options? The same Ranger that hasn't recieved a decent redesign in years?

1) In '05 the Focus had been out for 5 years. No excuse. Top model, top trim. No excuse.

If I could have bought a 2012 model in '05 I would have. Strangely, it wasn't available. Really, what use is your comment, anyways? I guess in 2012 I should be shopping for the 2019 Focus.

2) Ok, same thing. By your own admission the Ranger's been out for long time. No excuse. Top model, top trim. No excuse.

I'm not talking about adaptive cruise control or self-parking or SYNC, I'm talking about lousy fucking heated mirrors. Something available on most cars for 30+ years. This isn't hi-tech recolutionary stuff. Half the parts are already in Ford parts bins -- ie Explorer heated mirrors.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES. The reason why Ford can't command decent prices on cars is because Ford cut corners and makes customers feel like they're driving a budget car. It's something that lingers with buyers that aren't Ford loyalists. If a $15G Kia has heated seats and mirrors available, why not a $25G truck?

I was a passenger in a 1999 Ford Taurus. The driver was driving down a freeway at night in Detroit, MI. I needed to get a pair of eyeglasses out of the glove box and opened the glove box to find out there is no lighting in the glove box.

I did not want to turn on the dome light inside the car so everyone can see us in our car and the driver is distracted from night vision driving to a dome light blaring on his face.

Glove box lights are needed as an option as a safety feature.

I was very disappointed when I found out my dad's new 2010 Ford Taurus did not have a light in the glove box.

BTW what kind of real-life MPG are you getting on your Taurus? Is it an EB3.5 or NA3.5?

BTW what kind of real-life MPG are you getting on your Taurus? Is it an EB3.5 or NA3.5?

I have no idea what real-life MPG I am getting on it. Haven't checked it yet. Only had the car 9 months and had so much different work done on it that I don't trust it.

I don't know what you mean by EB3.5 or NA3.5. It is a 1999 Taurus SE with a Vulcan engine.

1) In '05 the Focus had been out for 5 years. No excuse. Top model, top trim. No excuse.

If I could have bought a 2012 model in '05 I would have. Strangely, it wasn't available. Really, what use is your comment, anyways? I guess in 2012 I should be shopping for the 2019 Focus.

2) Ok, same thing. By your own admission the Ranger's been out for long time. No excuse. Top model, top trim. No excuse.

I'm not talking about adaptive cruise control or self-parking or SYNC, I'm talking about lousy fucking heated mirrors. Something available on most cars for 30+ years. This isn't hi-tech recolutionary stuff. Half the parts are already in Ford parts bins -- ie Explorer heated mirrors.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES. The reason why Ford can't command decent prices on cars is because Ford cut corners and makes customers feel like they're driving a budget car. It's something that lingers with buyers that aren't Ford loyalists. If a $15G Kia has heated seats and mirrors available, why not a $25G truck?

The '05 model was barely changed from the original Focus, plus that was the "old" Ford - one that didn't care about continually improving the product, whereas now, the laser focus is on continually improving the product - case in point, things like adding liftgate handles on 2008 Edges and 2010 Escapes, etc.

The Ranger hasn't been updated in ages. I disagree with how Ranger's been handled, but why do you expect stuff to be on a truck that was designed in the relative stone age and that Ford has shown it won't invest in any more in any way shape or form?

---

My point with all this is again that was the OLD Ford, technology is quickly becoming a main pillar of the company.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a glove box light in my ford truck, and the darn thing stays on if you don't get it closed just right (or have something shoved in there to hold in the switch). I realize this is probably from overloading the glove box, but my need for storage is greater then my need for a light.

My non-SHO (SEL) is reading a bit over 25MPG combined at 3500 miles or so. Probably 30% city stop and go, 40% 'highway' at 50-55mph, and 30% at 70mph.

Goes to show that Ford is skimping out on their models. One 2010 Taurus has the lock and one does not. Great quality. Stupid idea..leave the glove box lock out so some mechanic can rip your stuff off in there. Not to mention the cost of repairs to their cars.

Got a 1999 Taurus with 90,000 miles and in the past 9 months have spent over $3000 in repairs. Quality is not there. My Dad's 2010 Taurus had 3 missing bolts from the quarter panel that he had to take it back to the dealer to have them installed. They deliver unfinished cars and charge almost $30,000 for the inferior workmanship. Why don't they inspect these cars before they leave the plant.

That is impossable... No car would leave the production line like that.eek5.gif It would never get pass the QC Inspectors.speedie.gif

Why don't they inspect these cars before they leave the plant.

Ford's press release says QC at the plant incorporates:

* State-of-the-art manufacturing equipment, with sophisticated controls that ensure with accuracy the quality of the vehicles being built

* The use of key fobs, which require operators to confirm proper assembly of the vehicle. If proper assembly is not confirmed, the line will stop

* An onboard diagnostics and quality tracking system that scan vehicles to ensure there are no issues. If there is a problem, the vehicle will not be allowed to leave the plant

* Ergonomic improvements throughout the plant, such as station readiness checks and redesigned assembly racks, which have led to a reduction in damaged parts and an increase in employee morale

The quality checks continue even after the unit is off the assembly line. The plant is equipped with a "rough road" test track featuring seven surfaces designed to help employees identify any squeaks and rattles on units before they leave the plant.

:ohsnap:

• 1 month later...

My non-SHO (SEL) is reading a bit over 25MPG combined at 3500 miles or so. Probably 30% city stop and go, 40% 'highway' at 50-55mph, and 30% at 70mph.

Thanks fo the info, 2010TB. Ford rates hwy at 27 mpg, so that is about as advertised. I bet it is even better once you get a few more miles on it.

Thanks again.

• 7 months later...

Some of you people scare me. I mean, I thought this was a wish list page, not a scientific peer review. Perhaps there should be a topic called "Suggest Something Here So We Can All Say Things To You That We Would Never Have The Cahones To Say To Your Face" where someone could suggest something and everyone could rip on them there. I do not think it is appropriate to do such on s WISH LIST page. I remember glove box lights from when I was a kid. I miss them also. By the way my wife and I drive both vehicles and have multiple pairs of perscription glasses in each car, so we are never without night or sun glasses. We do use those little movable map lights that plug into the cigarette (or power outlet if thats your bag) lighter. That works fairly well but take my word those 10,000 LED's do not last that long. One season or two, so we always have a spare in each vehicle. Thats all I have to say in support of glove box lights. Please Remember this is a Wish List, thats all. One mans wish is another mans sorrow.

• 3 months later...

My father owns a 2010 Taurus and it DOES NOT have a glove box lock.

I too vote for glove box locks.

As a saftey issue. If your vehicle is broken into and you have a garage door opener, having a lock on your glove box makes it that much more difficult to find your address and get into your house. (Provided you are prepared and only keep your personal info in there and locked)

As a saftey issue. If your vehicle is broken into and you have a garage door opener, having a lock on your glove box makes it that much more difficult to find your address and get into your house. (Provided you are prepared and only keep your personal info in there and locked)

1 - car thieves don't generally break into your house, too

2 - if your locked vehicle and alarm system didn't stop them why do you think a glovebox lock would?

1 - car thieves don't generally break into your house, too

2 - if your locked vehicle and alarm system didn't stop them why do you think a glovebox lock would?

Maybe "generally" is true but piece of mind is valuable.

I was assuming most theves do not want manuals and maps. So why would they waste more seconds on another lock.

Maybe "generally" is true but piece of mind is valuable.

I was assuming most theves do not want manuals and maps. So why would they waste more seconds on another lock.

If all it takes is a locked glovebox to give you peace of mind then more power to you.

Instead of NOT listening, which is what we're used to from certain car manufacturers and car designers, shut up and LISTEN.

Nobody wants to drive around Detroit (or most other urban centers) with their interior lights on. I wouldn't want my daughter driving around tipping off everyone aroung her she was alone. I've been pulled over by Michigan State Police in Detroit when I was a teen, when I was getting my ownership out of the glovebox the trooper had his hand on his sidearm the whole time. And I had a glovebox light. The last thing you want to do is start waving around a cylindrical object (flashlight) with a cop with his finger on the trigger.

The point is that it wouldn't take much to put a small LED in a glovebox. It's just as (or more) important as the fruitcake LEDs in cuphoders (I mean really, if you can't fit a 3"cup in a 4" hole without lighting it up it's a wonder you have kids).

Sometimes you just need light and don't want to fumble around for a flashlight. My '05 Focus has piss poor (non-existant) lighting in the back seat. Black on black interior, anything at night in the back seat may as well be in a black hole. And yeah, it's a pain in the ass to retrieve the Maglite out of the front seat so you can see back there.

Instead of pooh-poohing ideas that customers want, listen to them. Because someone will, and they might buy their car instead of yours.

BRAVO, MY FRIEND! :salute:

I vaguely remember having a locking glove compartment

don't think I'd want to have to use a key to open one now, with what I keep in there

but if there was a keyless lock that'd be nice...

...not sure how - maybe auto-unlock when the engine's running?

• 9 months later...

I found this forum because I did an internet search to see if my 2010 Taurus glovebox light was broken. Now I know it never had one to begin with, and it's not even an option.

I vote for glovebox lights as standard. It's hard to fathom how this even generated a discussion; seems like a slam dunk to me. My Explorer has a glovebox light.