Ford updates brake software on Hybrids

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100204/ts_alt_afp/uscompanyautofordsafety

Seems its more of a pre-emptive strike to fix the "feel" of the brakes vs. an actual safety problem.

But it does go to show - no need to gloat TOO much over Toyota. Right now the press is smelling blood and any vehicle/maker could get caught up with the Toyota-chum.

Big difference between a software "update" and "We have no clue what the problem is!"

Toyota has been playing games with the floormat BS and now the pedals. People have known about this problem for a long time and Toyota played their usual "don't know nothing about it" nonsense.

Software updates happen all the time, be it your car, desktop/laptop or cell phone. They don't potentially harm/kill you. Brake failure,throttle problems that risk lives are totally different.

I don't fault Toyota for the problem, it's the BS way they handle their problems.

Edited by MY93SHO

The bad news is this:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/04/report-ford-issues-tsb-fix-for-brake-pedal-on-fusion-hybrid-mod/

Consumer Reports had a vehicle that they claim the brake went to the floor on .... we shouldn't gloat is right.

It seems that Ford knew about this problem 3.5 months ago and is just now issuing a fix. Not exactly good :(.

Edited by SVT_MAN

Funny thing happened the other day on the way to the forum...

I picked up an '05 Escape Hybrid in Apr. '05, about ??? 6 months after they hit the market. It's the wife's vehicle and only has less than 8,000 miles on it now. It was Monday or Tuesday she comes home and has the manual in her hands and wants to know what the dash light means that says brakes and told me a message popped up on the info panel about the brakes.

Well I get in it and drive it and see nothing. I'm sure it set a code, but I tell her it's cold, it might have had something wet, etc. She wants to freak out, I tell her, you can use your parking brake to bring it to a stop, start practising using that now. She wants to know what a dealer would charge. I said probably about $100, because I remember something like this before happening and I took it to them and they told me it would be $100 to just read a code. Kinda pissed me off and to this day I don't want to return to a dealer until that light stays on. Finally I told her, look go to them tomorrow after work, but don't ask me again about a car, cause you won't believe anything I say. She's not said a word to me about it since.

It has an 8 yr warranty on the hybrid part of it, So I'm not sure but regenerative brake, could be involved in this. It's the cost of ownership I know, but.....

I'm just going to continue to play dumb, cause this could be a gift from GOD and a return to freedom for me.

According to the Wards article, when CR brought it to Ford, the TSB had already been issued.

And the TSB is only for cars built before 27 October.

I'd say Ford is much more on top of this issue than Toyota is with theirs. At least Ford knows what's going on and exactly how to fix it instead of taking stabs in the dark,,,

I picked up an '05 Escape Hybrid in Apr. '05, about ??? 6 months after they hit the market. It's the wife's vehicle and only has less than 8,000 miles on it now. It was Monday or Tuesday she comes home and has the manual in her hands and wants to know what the dash light means that says brakes and told me a message popped up on the info panel about the brakes.

The BRAKE warning light can come on for 1 of 2 reasons.

1) The parking brake is on.

2) There is an imbalance in the hydraulic braking system (nothing to do with the hybrid part of the vehicle), This CAN be caused by low brake fluid, which is sometimes an indicator that you need to replace your brake pads.

Note that the Hybrid Escape (even the current models) use different regen brake software than the Hybrid Fusion.

I'm waiting for the electric steering issues to come up when you drive pass a government testing facility. hysterical.gifrant.gif

I don't know what that means, that has already failed once. It had to have a new computer for the steering. She was driving it and when it failed, it was almost impossible to turn. She was able to stop it about a foot from a telephone pole.

The BRAKE warning light can come on for 1 of 2 reasons.

1) The parking brake is on.

2) There is an imbalance in the hydraulic braking system (nothing to do with the hybrid part of the vehicle), This CAN be caused by low brake fluid, which is sometimes an indicator that you need to replace your brake pads.

Note that the Hybrid Escape (even the current models) use different regen brake software than the Hybrid Fusion.

Thanks Wiz. if I remember correctly, they were touting the longevity of the brake pads on this vechile when it came out. 100K miles i believe. Due I suppose to: regen. braking being used more than just normal friction. With just 8 K miles. .. hard to say.. I'll take a look into that. That's about all you can do now adays under a hood, just check fluid levels.

---------- WOW

2 min. after I write this, She pulls back into the driveway and it was on again, Info panel saying service brake system. I checked levels - looks ok.. well Monday into the shop then.

Edited by Critic

Thanks Wiz. if I remember correctly, they were touting the longevity of the brake pads on this vechile when it came out. 100K miles i believe. Due I suppose to: regen. braking being used more than just normal friction. With just 8 K miles. .. hard to say.. I'll take a look into that. That's about all you can do now adays under a hood, just check fluid levels.

---------- WOW

2 min. after I write this, She pulls back into the driveway and it was on again, Info panel saying service brake system. I checked levels - looks ok.. well Monday into the shop then.

Just to ease your mind alittle. The FEH braking system has a fail safe, that in the event the entire system fails, the vehicle will have manual brakes. It opens valves and makes the brakes manual. It takes the brake by wire and turns it into a manual brake system. I have a 06 MMH with 106k and no brake porblems yet. You problem will hopefully be either a brake pressure switch or a sensor.

Seems Consumer Report ran into an incident..

LINK-Wards Auto.

Before I bought my Fusion, I never had ABS system. So I liked to pump the brake. I could not change my habit when I drove the fusion. This habit almost led me to an accident when a car suddenly cut in front me and I kept pumping the brake. Then I went to Ford dealer to ask whether there was any problem with the brake. They explained to me what the different is between ABS and no-ABS brake. Now I always hit the brake very hard. When people start to drive hybride car, same situation occurres. People have to deal with two different brake systems that give different braking feeling. The good thing is that Ford motor company tries to make this transition more easier for people to handling. This is the reason why Ford wants to update the software. So this should not be counted as recall.

The only problem is what/how it gets reported. On the way in to work this morning, on the radio they were talking about the Toyota mess. And sequed (sp?) right in to the Ford brake update. The reporter even made a joke about maybe needing to be scared of all cars now.

So it gets lumped in with the Toyota problem by the press even though it is totally different. In the environment right now - I don't think you want to get press of ANY kind of update/recall/fix. It all gets lumped in with the exploding Toyotas.

I just did my first 2010 Hybrid Milan brake software reprogram. Takes about 10 min. No biggie. I have a 06 Mariner Hybrid. The brakes on the Milan are unreal touchy compared to my Mariner. The Mariner has a touchy spot when stopping and it switches from regen brakes to friction brakes, around 15mph. But the ones in the Milan are super touchy. With my big foot on the pedal, man do they stop! I cant imagine it being a huge deal if the Milan pedal was to be desensitized on a occasion because of the software.

I am looking into getting a new FFH. But it will take a while to adjust to the touchy brakes. If I but one I better drive it solo for a while not to give passengers whip lash.

Just to ease your mind alittle. The FEH braking system has a fail safe, that in the event the entire system fails, the vehicle will have manual brakes. It opens valves and makes the brakes manual. It takes the brake by wire and turns it into a manual brake system. I have a 06 MMH with 106k and no brake porblems yet. You problem will hopefully be either a brake pressure switch or a sensor.

What's the word on a new wiring harness from something -> to the ABS unit for a double ground? As that was what they told me they would have to do. Order a new harness and install it, for around $300. Care to share a little on this? The mechanic was pretty technical in his description on it, and it doesn't seem to be covered under warranty.

What's the word on a new wiring harness from something -> to the ABS unit for a double ground? As that was what they told me they would have to do. Order a new harness and install it, for around $300. Care to share a little on this? The mechanic was pretty technical in his description on it, and it doesn't seem to be covered under warranty.

There is a TSB about code U2062 in the ABS module. Basicaly you modify the harness by replacing the existing grounds for that module and relocating them. Did they tell you what the codes were? Alot of the issues with those ABS systems are connector pin fittings. The Hybrid warranty only includes high voltage battery, DC/DC convertor and Traction motor. It does not include ABS.