3 Weeks with my new SHO

I ordered a 2010 SHO with the Performance Pack in November and it was delivered right before Valentines day. I've been driving Panthers for 15 years, added a D3 Five Hundred to the Fleet and then replaced it with the SHO. Got a sticker on it saying that it was tested for 10 miles before it was shipped. I wish the CAP guys hung around this Forum like the STAP guys do.

Overall I'm pleased with the car. The Soundscreen windshield and double pane front door glass make for a very silent ride. There is quite a bit of noise from the wheelwells, like when I drive over areas with sand or rocks in the road, its very loud around there, worse than the Five Hundred. Interior is top notch, although I think Ford could have used some nicer material for the console shell. All the other interior pieces feel high quality, and then theres the hard plastic of the sides of the center console. Its been hard to get used to the intrusive console of the Taurus, but once you do, it feels pretty good. I guess being used to having a bench of a Crown Vic or the narrow console of the Marauder let you feel more open than the Taurus console. Seats are comfy and the exit feature is great.

The standard premium sound is great, however one annoying feature is if you are using the Aux mode, when you restart the car, it goes back to FM. Other controls are easy to use and have nice large knobs to adjust things like temp, volume etc. I like the Ambient lighting at night, and the standard backup camera is helpful with such high lines on the car. Keyless entry and ignition are great when your hands are full.

Fit and finish are much better than previous Fords, almost like a Lexus. Materials feel much nicer (other than the center console). Only thing I noticed is the Driver side defrost vent doesn't fit very well, but better than what I've seen in the past. The Sync voice command stuff is great. Bluetooth syncing was easy. The leather wheel is nice, but why only perforated at the very top?

Engine keeps feeling better as I get more miles on it. Plenty of Horsepower and Torque. Transmission shifts better than any Ford I've driven (except for manual), and doesnt shift into OD ASAP. I haven't played with the paddle shifters much but again, Ford has done a pretty good job with shift strategy. Fuel Economy is 18.8 mpg 70% City/30% Highway (hand calculated). The Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires have voracious grip, but I'm curious to see how long they last. Ride is firm with the 20" rims but thats to be expected with that and the Performance Pack.

The paint quality is very good, but there are some areas that could have been done better. The passenger rear door is horrendously out of alignment, but I'm going to leave it like that. Past experience is that once they start messing with it, it's never right after that. Either it looks fine but is noisy or leaks water etc. Or it looks f'ed up and is watertight and quiet. Ford should have put the trunk light in the middle of the trunk, not on one side like currently. I'd like to have an overhead console too for Glasses etc.

Ford has done a great job on this new Taurus. I get comments on it almost every day. The most frequent one is "Thats a Taurus?" The tuxedo black is gorgeous on this car.

DSC06303-vi.jpg

Thank you Ford, for building a great car.

Edited by wchain
  • Like 2

Good overview! Sounds like there is very little to nitpick over! Looks fantastic! :wub:

There is quite a bit of noise from the wheelwells, like when I drive over areas with sand or rocks in the road, its very loud around there, worse than the Five Hundred.

That I can almost certainly say is entirely due to the compound used in the tires. It's probably much softer than the rubber used on the Five Hundred or even other trim levels of Taurus, which allows for a lot more road debris to be kicked up into the wheel wells as it sticks to the tires. I doubt more sound deadening would really help too much. Just the nature of the beast I'm afraid.

Might I suggest switching from those when it needs a new set? I've never heard anything good about Eagle F1 Supercars.

We're on the same page. I actually was going to ask the sales manager to swap rims with me on a non performance package SHO with the 20" Rims (Michelin Primacy MXV4), but I think I would be pretty unhappy with the Primacy MXV4 handling, though they will probably last much longer. Goodyear quality is very inconsistent. I see hits and misses all the time.

The Eagle F1 Supercars handle great but all the feedback I have read, I know they'll get awful as time goes on.

Choices are limited in the 245/45R20 flavor, (Kumho ASX, Pirelli PZero, Hankook Ventus, Michelin MXV4, Goodyear Eagle RSA, etc) but I've had good experiences with the General Exclaim UHP on several vehicles, so I may give those a whirl when the Supercars wear out.

FWIW, the 19" Taurus tires are Eagle RS-As (blech), 18" get Michelin MXM4 or Goodyear Assurance TripleTred.

Also, does anyone know, why no spare tire on the Performance Package SHOs? Non Perf Pkg 20" Rim SHOs get a spare....

Edited by wchain

Then why would the Non Performance Pack SHO with the freestanding 20" Rims have it?

The overall diameter isnt much more than the standard 19" SHO Rim.

absolutely no idea...and the ordering guide states nothing...so weight it is....then again I have yet to see the 20's on anything BUT those optioned with the Performance pkg

absolutely no idea...and the ordering guide states nothing...so weight it is....then again I have yet to see the 20's on anything BUT those optioned with the Performance pkg

Hmmm interesting.

FWIW, every Taurus SHO on the lot when I picked mine up had 20s but no Perf pkg.

I've got no perf. pack (all the other toys though) and 20's. They are the Michelin Primacy's. And I do have a spare tire. A LARGE compact spare.

Edited by itguy09

I've got no perf. pack (all the other toys though) and 20's. They are the Michelin Primacy's. And I do have a spare tire. A LARGE compact spare.

there we go then...sadly though we have only had TWO SHO's TOTAL come and go....TWO! arrrrrg!

Aren't the Goodyears run flat/never flat? I thought that if no spare was included, either the tires have to be run flats or there was an "inflation kit" included? (I'll have to look---now that I think about it, it's probably the latter).

And there's no overhead storage for sunglasses? WTF? I wear prescription sunglasses and I love that feature in my Fusion. As dumb as it sounds for a minor issue, that would be might irritating.

EDIT: The performance package includes "tire mobility kit". Presumably, this includes a can with sealant and compressed air to seal the leak and re-inflate the tire. Or perhaps it's sealant and a mini-compressor? (The Ford website doesn't define what a "tire mobility kit" includes).

Edited by BrewfanGRB

And there's no overhead storage for sunglasses? WTF? I wear prescription sunglasses and I love that feature in my Fusion. As dumb as it sounds for a minor issue, that would be might irritating.

There should be. I have the sunroof and there's a "console" that holds the "dome" lights, sunroof switches, and a place for your sunglasses. I would think that console would be similar on cars without sunroofs. Check Pg. 78 in the owner's manual.

Edited by itguy09

If I'm not mistaken, that's a Tommie Vaughn Ford license plate. Are you located in Houston, TX?

Good observation! They're probably the straightest shooters in town! I used to deal with Texan Ford until they became part of Auto Nation.

Are you in Houston too?

Aren't the Goodyears run flat/never flat? I thought that if no spare was included, either the tires have to be run flats or there was an "inflation kit" included? (I'll have to look---now that I think about it, it's probably the latter).

EDIT: The performance package includes "tire mobility kit". Presumably, this includes a can with sealant and compressed air to seal the leak and re-inflate the tire. Or perhaps it's sealant and a mini-compressor? (The Ford website doesn't define what a "tire mobility kit" includes).

Goodyears are not runflat. You're right about the 'mobility kit' which has a can of fix a 'sealer' and a compressor. I have a 18" rim from a 2009 Taurus (same bolt pattern and backspacing) that will clear the brakes. I will put a tire on it and keep it with me when I go out of town in case I have a flat.

There should be. I have the sunroof and there's a "console" that holds the "dome" lights, sunroof switches, and a place for your sunglasses. I would think that console would be similar on cars without sunroofs. Check Pg. 78 in the owner's manual.

I have no overhead console. Just a little panel where the dome switches are. My car is also the 'stripped' SHO (400B), the only option I have is the 12S Perf Pkg. Oh well.

Looks stunning. Congratulations!

Thank you very much! I hope to keep her that way too!

Edited by wchain

I did a very bad thing today.

I test drove a SHO.

I really liked it.

My husband knows how much I really liked it, since I was gushing and giggling like a schoolgirl.

I need to rob a bank, to pay off the SD, so I can buy.

Grrrrrrr.....................

Anyway, it was a Tuxedo Black, non performance pack, but loaded to the gills, model. It did have the 20's, and yes, I did hear the road noise. No biggie, really. It is the price you pay, for big rubber.

Now, I will back up. Getting into a SHO here in AZ, has not been easy. There are many dealers. 4 days ago, most of them had 1 or 2, with a couple having 3. Even a nice rural F/L/M dealer, had one. Well, the rural one sold over the weekend................ and so did most of the other ones. I had a hell of a time finding any. I finally found 1 dealer who had 2. The one in the showroom, had the performance pack, and was in the color I like............... thus, I did not look at it. hehe

Back to my testdrive. Now, you have to understand my perspective. I have owned many performance vehicles in the past, but have not had one since we sold our '01 Lightning, at the end of 2005. Going from the SD, to the SHO, was quite a culture shock. It is low, the mirrors are small, and the cowl is high. While the salesman was getting the plate, I was adjusting everything. I really like the seats. The pushbutton start thing was quite new to me. Those tiny side mirrors.................. AUGH. I am so used to my huge, you can see everything without looking beside or behind you, mirrors............... it was quite the culture shock. He comes out, and we go to get fuel. I hit the brakes, and almost put him through the windshield. Performance car brakes are very immediate. HD 3/4 ton brakes are not. Wow, what a difference. I apologize.

From there, we drive around and talk. I find the ride and interior noise level to be very nice. The power is immediate, with no lag, and when you really get on it, it really goes. I was grinning ear to ear. The V10 in my 7500lb beast does an amazing job, but it is still a 7500lb beast. This thing just got up and went................. fast. I liked the light turbo whine. Yes, the transmission mapping is really great. I was very impressed with it, as it did everything right.

Did I say I really liked the car??

About the looks/features/interior. The car just looks downright impressive. It looks smaller than it is, on its own. It's only when next to a smaller car, that you really get a feeling of the size. However, next to my SD, it was a pleasure to drive, because it felt downright tiny. The seats are very comfortable. The leather quality isn't quite as nice as that in my SD, but still very good. Like the OP observed, the majority of the interior materials are very good, with a few exceptions. The steering wheel felt great. I played with the voice activated nav (my SD is not voice activated), and it was fun. The voice recognition was very good, with no trial and error. The Sirrius Travel Link is very cool. The blind spot alert was welcome, with those tiny mirrors (its amazing what you forget, when you have huge dumbo ear mirrors to use everyday). I really liked the seat thing, when you shut it off (I forget what you call it). Very cool.

The car had the massaging seats............... and that was interesting. I am sure they would be welcome on a long trip. I wish Ford offered factory installed headrest DVD's.

Other than that, I was stoked. I knew I would like the car............... and I liked it more than I thought. After driving it, I got in my SD, and it felt like the brakes didn't work. LOL

I will own one.................. or a MCE MKS. I want to look at a MKT interior, to get a feel for the upgrades to come (although I am sure there will be mytouch also).

Congratulations on your new car, it is fabulous. Enjoy it, for years to come. :o)

Coming from someone who has driven super duties and currently has a SD and a SHO, you're right, but Ford still builds the finest Heavy Duty pickup.

I had to order my SHO because all the ones that were on lots were hard loaded. I dont want a sunroof, fancy stereo, massaging seats, radar cruise, BLIS, etc.

Even the 401 equipped cars that were on dealer lots were loaded with other junk, Nav and all that other stuff. Tommie Vaughn had a 401A with 12S but then it had additional options that pushed the sticker to 43,000 bucks. The 'stripped' SHOs out there didnt' have the Perf Pkg. So I ended up ordering a 400B with Perf Pkg with just the performance pack. Not like its really 'stripped'. Base has Leather/Miko Suede, Rear view camera, push button start, ambient lighting, 6 disc, SYNC, HID, Autolamp, all power, etc. Has everything I want and nothing I dont. Even the base premium stereo sounds very good.

Edited by wchain

Oh, don't get me wrong................. I love my SuperDuty. I understand the way the brakes are on that truck, and the reason for it. It just feels so very different.

My SD will stay with me for a very long time. It has been my daily driver, since I bought it 20 months ago............. and it does have all the doo-dads and what-nots.

A funny for everyone, in 20 months, I have 14,200 miles. LOL

When the SD is paid off, then I will buy a SHO/MKS, and it will become my daily driver. The SD will still be here also. We have a TT, ATV's, project cars/car trailer, etc. I truly think the SD is THE best HD truck anyone can buy................. otherwise, I wouldn't be the proud owner of one. :)

there we go then...sadly though we have only had TWO SHO's TOTAL come and go....TWO! arrrrrg!

Just two??!!? My local dealer had about 5-6 SHOs at once a few weeks ago.

Yup, sounds like the same thing that comes with the Flex if you get the tow package.

A funny for everyone, in 20 months, I have 14,200 miles. LOL

Are you saying that's a lot or a little? I've had my Flex for 15 months and have 21778.7 miles on it.

Congratulations on your first three weeks of ownership, wchain! Beautiful photo btw- it really highlights the graceful styling elements on the 2010 Taurus.

The passenger rear door is horrendously out of alignment, but I'm going to leave it like that. Past experience is that once they start messing with it, it's never right after that. Either it looks fine but is noisy or leaks water etc. Or it looks f'ed up and is watertight and quiet.

I'm curious, does the misaligned passenger door on your SHO resemble this sample?

sho_1.JPG

I remember in one of your other threads (LINK), respondents suggested that the body panel fitment flaws you and other BON members noted on several 2010 Tauruses (Tauri?) were largely assembly plant issues, not design defects.