Motor Trend Ford Fusion Vote

My daughter will finish her B.S.N. degree in May and currently drives a 2006 Trailblazer. She going to buy herself a graduation gift to replace the Trailblazer with something that gets better MPG. She will not look at a Ford product due to the short warranty companied to GM and Hyundai products.

Ford is only lacking on power-train warranty, and the odds of a major power-train failure between 60,000 miles and 100,000 miles is low. Usually if it is defective as delivered, it will fail or there will be indications of something amiss before 60K and the design life of major power-train components is well over 100,000 miles.

The current Fusion is far better than the first generation but still lacks compared to some of its competitors

It lacks what compared to who? The chassis and suspension are best in class, the interior is at the top of the class, styling is subjective but most place it at towards the top, despite the lack of paddle shifters, power-train is at the top of the class. What are your complaints?

Better fuel economy without having to resort to a "stripped" S model.

Ok, one legitimate complaint

Better exterior styling. (subjective)

It's the best looking mid-size sedan available (subjective)

More refined powertrain.

Not so much with the V6s

Better interior materials.

2010 Fusions interior materials are just as good as anyone's and better than most. If you want to make a legitimate complaint about the Fusion interior I would have at least expected a comment on the HVAC positioning

Those are just the few that I can see from driving my sister's Fusion SEL and riding in my wife's, friends Altima. And looking at the pictures of the Sonata that I have seen, it's even better looking than the Altima.

I been in both as well, and the Altima interior seems chintzier.

Hyundais and Kias warranty will get customers through the door...the actually experience of having to use them, will make them run. I already know of a few who have purchased them, and like one told me "Yeah its nice to know I'm covered, but geesh its like I'm at the dealership at a monthly basis"...Its the actual experience of having to use it, thats annoying more people. The length of the warranty might help with perceptions, but in actually it'll leave a sour note when they are having to use it so much...

Hyundais and Kias warranty will get customers through the door...the actually experience of having to use them, will make them run. I already know of a few who have purchased them, and like one told me "Yeah its nice to know I'm covered, but geesh its like I'm at the dealership at a monthly basis"...Its the actual experience of having to use it, thats annoying more people. The length of the warranty might help with perceptions, but in actually it'll leave a sour note when they are having to use it so much...

That's exactly what happened with our Tiburon. My wife bought it (before we were married) due to price and warranty (in that order) but it spent so much time in the service department, we won't consider another one.

Then there is no reason for Ford not to offer it.

I Agree

That's exactly what happened with our Tiburon. My wife bought it (before we were married) due to price and warranty (in that order) but it spent so much time in the service department, we won't consider another one.

And you think Ford would have the same problem?

And you think Ford would have the same problem?

If the warranty is there cover questionable quality, yes. IMO, a long warranty is just an incentive for someone to "hedge their bets" on a vehicle they wouldn't normally consider. It's worked well for Hyundai since many people feel they have questionable quality. I guarantee you that Hyundai would do away with it if they felt they didn't need it.

IMO, a long warranty is just an incentive for someone to "hedge their bets" on a vehicle they wouldn't normally consider.

IMO, a shorter standard warranty is so the dealer can pressure the car buyer into an expensive extended warranty they will probably never need.

IMO, a shorter standard warranty is so the dealer can pressure the car buyer into an expensive extended warranty they will probably never need.

It also keeps the base price on the vehicle lower, which is a much more likely reason than wanting to sell extended warranties.

All you have to do is say "no". I've done it many times when buying a car.

When I bought the Edge, I was offered a 7 year, 100K mile bumper to bumper warranty for $800. I plan on keeping it until right around the 100K mile mark, and now I will never have to pay for a repair. Now, if it never needs a repair will I be upset that I bought the warranty? No, I'll be glad that it never needed a repair.

Here's the thing, never pay more than invoice for a warranty. Trust me, the dealer will sell you a warranty at cost, sometimes even below cost. Why? If you have a warranty, you will bring your car back for repair, and dealers make money on repairs.

When I bought the Edge, I was offered a 7 year, 100K mile bumper to bumper warranty for $800. I plan on keeping it until right around the 100K mile mark, and now I will never have to pay for a repair. Now, if it never needs a repair will I be upset that I bought the warranty? No, I'll be glad that it never needed a repair.

Here's the thing, never pay more than invoice for a warranty. Trust me, the dealer will sell you a warranty at cost, sometimes even below cost. Why? If you have a warranty, you will bring your car back for repair, and dealers make money on repairs.

That's not a bad price. The last extended warranty I was offered was double that.