2011 Mustang Embargo Lifted

Wow, my '01 Bullitt is now, officially, an outdated relic of yesturday. Painfull!

The V8 Mustang is fantastic but somewhat expected. I think the performance of the V6 Mustang is much more impressive. The Nissan Z car owners should be sweating over the base Mustang.

Now this is just crazy...

...our test car recorded maximum lateral acceleration of 0.96 g and 60-to-0 braking in 104 feet. Not even a feathery Mazda MX-5 Miata (0.91, 120) can match those numbers. And for all that, neither can our long-term BMW M3 (0.94, 105).
That test car was a V6 :ohsnap:

Source: MotorTrend

Dammit.

Now my '89 has to worry about rental cars!

Mid 13's ain't what they used to be...

:ohsnap:

I was thinking the same thing. I use to have a '92GT that ran a best of 13.5@102 (take off Cobra heads & intake/street tires). But that was in upper midwest, late October air. 15 years ago a 13.5 rocked. If I had it now I'd be looking at forced induction.

Motortrend V6 test

0-60 5.1 sec 13.7@102 1/4 mile

As MT mentioned, the V6 Stang is a straight up match for a 5.7 Dodge Challenger.

Now this is just crazy... That test car was a V6 :ohsnap:

Source: MotorTrend

Thanks for the stats Versa.... This is HUGE!!!

Lets compare (Edit: V6 Numbers are with the performance/track package):

0-60:

V-6: 5.1

GT: 4.3

GT Wins

Lat G:

V-6: .96

GT: .94

V6 Wins

60-0

V-6: 104

GT with Brembos: 105

V6 Wins

MPG:

V-6 Wins

Price:

V-6 with Track/Performance Pack: $24,800

GT: $31,000

The six is a helluva deal! Also, I'm sure the GT's 4.3 0-60 time would improve with a base GT (less optioned-less weight). I'm willing to bet the next comparo will yield a 4.2 or 4.1 even. Like it was mentioned earlier in the thread, the area they used to test the cars didn't have the best traction.

Edited by FoMoCobra

ROFL at Camaro5's posts...

My favorite by forum member fazm:

like others have stated, theres more to a car than how it accelerates and how it corners
...such as all of the other aspects like interior quality, steering feel, braking, visibility and features? Oh yeah, the Camaro totally kills the mustang in those aspects... :hysterical:

ROFL at Camaro5's posts...

My favorite by forum member fazm: ...such as all of the other aspects like interior quality, steering feel, braking, visibility and features? Oh yeah, the Camaro totally kills the mustang in those aspects... :hysterical:

Yeah they left out all the other areas where the Camaro can't match the Mustang. :hysterical:

Don't sell yourself short judge. You're a tremendous slouch.

First of all, this is fantastic for Ford. Bravo Zulu! Once again, we asked and Ford delievered. Second, someone mentioned competition is a good thing and I agree. If GM has any sense left, they will react and Ford will recipocate but for now, Ford seems to have the initiative. As for the Camero fans, beauty is in the eye of the beholder because I tried and it's not working for me. I feel Mustang is not just a muscle car anymore.

First of all, this is fantastic for Ford. Bravo Zulu! Once again, we asked and Ford delievered. Second, someone mentioned competition is a good thing and I agree. If GM has any sense left, they will react and Ford will recipocate but for now, Ford seems to have the initiative. As for the Camero fans, beauty is in the eye of the beholder because I tried and it's not working for me. I feel Mustang is not just a muscle car anymore.

hmmmm, am I the only one witnessing a trend? 412 hp mustang ( hear snickering from the camaro lads ) all of a sudden becomes 440ish, and AFTER Chevy ( chuckling to themselves again ) apparently trumps the fords new Diesel, Ford throws egg in their general directionAGAIN and ups the ante ( rather easily i hear and theres STILL plenty of headroom with the6.7 )and pulls a coup there as well....is FORD PLAYING GAMES WITH CHEVY? god forbid.....

The V6 Mustang is now fully competitive with the likes of 350Z, G37, 335i, A5... for a lot less money. And for similar money, the V6 Mustang absolute kills bitchbaskets like the Accord and Altima coupe.

While the GT and various V8 powered Mustangs have always been the performance ticket and best bang for the buck, the V6 has finally arrived as a worthy alternative on its own. This is really the first time since the early 80s that a base Mustang is fully competitive with all of its competitors on all fronts (performance, price, interior, overall aesthetic and design etc).

The V6 Mustang is now fully competitive with the likes of 350Z, G37, 335i, A5... for a lot less money. And for similar money, the V6 Mustang absolute kills bitchbaskets like the Accord and Altima coupe.

While the GT and various V8 powered Mustangs have always been the performance ticket and best bang for the buck, the V6 has finally arrived as a worthy alternative on its own. This is really the first time since the early 80s that a base Mustang is fully competitive with all of its competitors on all fronts (performance, price, interior, overall aesthetic and design etc).

Overall, I share your sentiments. I'll be the first to admit I should eat crow because I figured it would be great to have a Fusion Coupe (if practical). I never considered a V6 Mustang because I never though it would be done to this level. I'll wait to see how the further test drives go however, I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Funny you're the first one to mention this. I heard the real power figures start with 6's... and if GM really is putting the LSA into the new Z28, it makes sense.

Really, you guys think Ford n' Dodge don't have an awnser for this at all?

I predict a very healthy aftermarket for the V6 Mustang.