2011 Camaro to be rated at 312hp? LOL!!

atvman

http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22582

HAHAHA!!! All I've been hearing about is how the 2011 Camaro would one-up the Mustang, if these numbers are true then I am going to laugh in their faces! The V6 Mustang is half a second quicker than the Camaro in pretty much any measured test, an extra 8hp isn't going to make up half of that difference! HAHAHA!!!

Yeah...that extra 8 HP is going to make the Camaro go, turn, and stop faster than the lighter, more nimble Stang! :hysterical::hysterical:

Of course, the pony car wars is about bragging rights and who has the most HP, so some knuckleheads will just look at the 7 HP advantage the Cam has...you know they won't be looking at the interior or out the gun-slit windows of the Cam! :hysterical:

http://wot.motortrend.com/6630523/auto-news/2011-chevrolet-camaro-v-6-re-rated-at-312-horsepower-steals-mustangs-thunder/index.html

It's official! What a joke! They didn't change a thing, they just re-rated the engine! It's still going to be half a second slower than a V6 Mustang.

No worries. Based on some published dyno results, Ford was conservative with the 305 rating. I am sure Ford will soon "recertify" their V6 to 315HP or so.

Yeah...that extra 8 HP is going to make the Camaro go, turn, and stop faster than the lighter, more nimble Stang! :hysterical::hysterical:

Of course, the pony car wars is about bragging rights and who has the most HP, so some knuckleheads will just look at the 7 HP advantage the Cam has...you know they won't be looking at the interior or out the gun-slit windows of the Cam! :hysterical:

As a salesman, all I have to do is spit out a few performance numbers, be they acceleration, stopping, handling, price, mileage..............

Are these new Camaro #'s on premium???

And I heard that the new 3.7 'Stang dynoed at 308 hp. Anybody know if that was at the wheels? That would put it at 345ish hp, which sounds about right for a 13.7 car lacking V8 torque.

Maybe Ford underrated (What? Not Ford...) the V-6 to:

A.) Screw Chevy.

B.) Make it easier to clear out the 4.6 liter equipped 2010's.

Hmmmm...

The Camaro ss is 4-8 grand cheaper then the 11 Stang also the Camaro is a fresh face with style and the Mustang is still a Mustang.

Proof on the pricing? The comparison I saw showed comparably equipped V8 machines had the Mustang at about 1200-1500 LESS than the Cam!

The Camaro ss is 4-8 grand cheaper then the 11 Stang also the Camaro is a fresh face with style and the Mustang is still a Mustang.

I just went onto both sites and the '10 Mustang with the glass roof, electronics package and damn near anything else that you throw at it tops out in the 41-42K Range. The Camaro? Also in the 41K-42K range. I added the body kit to it and it went over 44K.

The '11 Mustang isnt set to get much (if any) of an increase. So umm, where is this 4-8K premium you speak of?

That is a flat out lie. A base GT starts at a lower price than a base SS. A GT Premium starts at a lower price than a 2SS. When you add the Brembo package and 3.73 gears to a Mustang GT, the GT is a couple hundred bucks more than an otherwise equally equipped SS. The difference in price between the V6 models is about the same. Considering how badly the Mustang crushes the Camaro when put head to head, that couple hundred bucks is well worth it.

Edited by atvman

My favorite argument is that the Camaro's horsepower bump is just "icing on the cake" and that the car's "so popular" that it would continue to outsell the Mustang anyway without the upgrade.

Really?

If GM was so confident in the Camaro's prowess they wouldn't have done anything; certainly not after just one model year. And considering that this whopping eight horsepower increase will have no significance beyond allowing GM to advertise "best in class" horsepower, it becomes quite obvious that they're shaken by the 2011 Mustang's performance.

I'm glad GM brought back the Camaro as it can have a positive effect on the evolution of the Mustang, but I hate it when people take the Camaro out of context. The more rabid enthusiasts like to pretend that the 2010 Camaro was some spontaneous and original idea created in a vacuum with no outside influence. Yet, at the same time, there are pictures that exist of Camaro development mules with Mustangs parked next to them. Coincidence? The Camaro couldn't "raise the bar" if GM engineers didn't know what to raise it against. And now, barely a year after it went on sale, we hear about the Camaro getting a horsepower increase on the eve of the 2011 Mustang going on sale with its all-new powertrains. Coincidence?

Has anyone else heard this statement when you're with someone and you spot a Camaro? "wow, that looks like a Mustang". It would of course be from a distance because once you get up close, the Camaros goofy looks cannot be mistaken for a Mustang. I'd say its fair to say they used the Mustang for some "inspiration".

:shades:

Has anyone else heard this statement when you're with someone and you spot a Camaro? "wow, that looks like a Mustang". It would of course be from a distance because once you get up close, the Camaros goofy looks cannot be mistaken for a Mustang. I'd say its fair to say they used the Mustang for some "inspiration".

Yes, unfortunately, it came from my wife. We didn't talk for a week after that. She has since learned not to insult a Mustang again. :rant:

And whether or not one is a few hundred dollars more, the consumer will feel short changed when sitting inside the Camaro and seeing it's crappy interior quality. That on itself, will make them choose a Mustang otherwise.

+1

Not to mention the HORRIBLE visibility out of the dam thing! You don't WANT to look at the interior, and you CAN'T see out. So, basically, if you're in a Camaro, you're pretty much out of luck!

Nope, haven't heard it. Have a former co-worker, who owned a Camaro Z28 (96 or 97 which used to be an old CHP interceptor vehicle), who loves the Camaro design. Otherwise everyone else I talk to, wife, family, friends, co-workers, think the Mustang is much more classy and sporty, while the Camaro is cartoonish and overdone. Of course, just the people I talk with.

You, Sir, Fail at life. just over 30k for a GT that will stomp a mud hole in slomaro.

And you fail at pronunciations. Now the price thing everyone is bitchin at im basing that off the MT compro were the GT was 4 grand more then the SS (BTW drivabilty the MT staff really like the Challenger over the other 2), now if the GT is the same price then the SS Ford done thier homework. Just wondering how the GT in one model year gained 200 lbs and up to 5G's on the price tag with no exterior changes?.

And you fail at pronunciations. Now the price thing everyone is bitchin at im basing that off the MT compro were the GT was 4 grand more then the SS (BTW drivabilty the MT staff really like the Challenger over the other 2), now if the GT is the same price then the SS Ford done thier homework. Just wondering how the GT in one model year gained 200 lbs and up to 5G's on the price tag with no exterior changes?.

What? This?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_1006_2011_mustang_gt_2010_camaro_ss_2010_challenger_srt8_comparison/test_numbers.html

The Mustang GT tested was fully loaded with OPTIONS, as in things you don't have to get, including some things the Camaro doesn't even offer like a glass roof ($2000 alone). As pointed out in the comparison, the Mustang has the lower starting MSRP of $30,495 versus the Camaro's $31,795.

And as far as weight is concerned, I don't know where you're getting a 200 lb increase from. The starting curb weight Ford claims for the 2011 Mustang GT is 3605 lbs. Motor Trend's test car weighed in at 3612 lbs. Ford claims a base 2010 Mustang GT starts at 3533 lbs. The increase is well under 100 lbs, let alone under 200.

Nice try Dumbass but you still FAIL! :slap:

You must fail at math. The difference is actually $3,290. The Mustang has the optional $1,995 glass roof (not available on the other two). I'm sure there are other differences in options as well.

Nice try Dumbass but you still FAIL! :slap:

Fuck you and you drive a 93 SLO. As for the price thing whoever thought you see the day of a 40K GT Mustang? (thou i won't have a heavy, expensive glass roof on my car) but i say again Ford had done thier homework on the Mustang.