Whats the latest for Skilled on the line, what have you heard?

I tell ya, if I was a Millwright or a Welder currently working production, the photo in the newspaper of the outside contractor Millwright apprentice holding the torch while working at MAP would make me angry. Angry enough to march down to Solidarity House and demand to know why my Union was not fighting for my job.

To start....happy to be working, but...

Its been a long time for many of us, years for some. Is it time we get the ball rolling to get us placed?

If anyone has phone numbers, please post.

Ideas on what should done?

I hired at Ford in 1977. Yearly auto sales were great.

Recession hit and car sales tanked.

Laid off in 1980.

Rehired 9 years later.

That was 8 ½ years of no income, no chance to work with Ford Motor Company.

This recession we are in now is identical to what a lot of us went thru in the 80s.

I can see in your post that you are grateful to be working in production. I am being respectful and posting this to help you realize things could be worse.

I do have family and friends in Trades and I do know that many locals (Saline, Dearborn, MAP, Romeo, Sterling) have reached out and borrowed trades to keep contractors from doing project work. They are frustrated that there is no need for them once the project work ends.

Hopefully MAP adds a shift, hopefully AAI doesn’t reduce a shift and hopefully the UAW can keep the engine, transmission and stamping plants open. This would be a plus and would demonstrate a need for trades with additional volumes.

Hopefully the UAW can again negotiate to get trades wages while working in a production job. I do support the skilled wage but many on my team will protest any trades getting trades’ wages while working production.

Respectfully things will get better. I went thru it for 9 years with no income

Good luck my friend

I tell ya, if I was a Millwright or a Welder currently working production, the photo in the newspaper of the outside contractor Millwright apprentice holding the torch while working at MAP would make me angry. Angry enough to march down to Solidarity House and demand to know why my Union was not fighting for my job.

All Millwrights on ILO or working production in all zones were offered temporary project work at MAP. So if there are any on ILO or working production it is by choice.

I cant speak for welders but I do believe all zone 1 were offered these temp project jobs to keep contractors out.

All Millwrights on ILO or working production in all zones were offered temporary project work at MAP. So if there are any on ILO or working production it is by choice.

I cant speak for welders but I do believe all zone 1 were offered these temp project jobs to keep contractors out.

Well that may true, but what about other trades, pipe fitters, toolmakers,ect. I'm tired of being left out in the cold, there is work and spots to fill. Ford wants us to drift away, and without a fuss they will get away with it.There is room but elected chairs, and presidents don't want to piss off all the low seniority trades.

• Like 1

Start looking for a company that will hire you for a skilled trades job if your not happy with the situation your in now!

I dont think thats the answer he is looking for Gen, when people turn down available work for whatever reason,especially .... especially, in todays economy it makes many people a little unsympathetic. I guess after sitting on the stool and blogging for 2 years reality starts to sink in and the pink cloud of having representation fighting for you no longer exists. I can almost bet when the phone rang 20 or 30 yrs ago and ford was offering a job they would have sifted through shtt. Now its totally different, people refuse work because its not their trade!!! Remember this, Ford gave us a job , all we have to do is show up and do it.!! Leave out all the rest of the crap, with the representation uaw members recieve these days, my advice would be, Buckle the chin strap up and get in there,dont sit on the sidelines while the game is being played. I am gonna have to side with the General on this one .

Start looking for a company that will hire you for a skilled trades job if your not happy with the situation your in now!

I don't think thats the answer he is looking for Gen, when people turn down available work for whatever reason,especially .... especially, in todays economy it makes many people a little unsympathetic. I guess after sitting on the stool and blogging for 2 years reality starts to sink in and the pink cloud of having representation fighting for you no longer exists. I can almost bet when the phone rang 20 or 30 yrs ago and ford was offering a job they would have sifted through shtt. Now its totally different, people refuse work because its not their trade!!! Remember this, Ford gave us a job , all we have to do is show up and do it.!! Leave out all the rest of the crap, with the representation uaw members recieve these days, my advice would be, Buckle the chin strap up and get in there,dont sit on the sidelines while the game is being played. I am gonna have to side with the General on this one .

Well it didn't take long for the bashing. First I can only speak for myself, I have not turned down one offer. I would work anywhere, I mean anywhere in my trade.Second I have not been sitting on a stool for two years. While all of you and I assume you are production ( because you are bitter) were placed when my plant closed. There were NO OFFERS for a job in my trade for a year. When they did come it was for 5 to 6 jobs for 28 to bid on.Yes I have signed EVERY bid, no I have not turned down any work. And finally I don't know what you have seen or heard but not only did I work in other Dept's when they needed help but helped other trades as needed.Please don't group everyone in the same boat, like I wont say all production are bitter trades haters who think they know everything and are to stupid to pass the test..

All I was asking for was positive information from trades, not negative from production, but thanks for the hate!

• Like 1

There were NO OFFERS for a job in my trade for a year.

I honestly don't know what to tell you. No bashing intended, but with no significant new work in the system, and with consolidations in some trades, I don't see some people being placed back into their classification for some time. Hell, there are more plant closings/loss of work in the next year or so that will result in even more tradespeople being laid off.

ame='Arod' date='30 May 2010 - 03:10 PM' timestamp='1275228637' post='617448']

I don't think thats the answer he is looking for Gen, when people turn down available work for whatever reason,especially .... especially, in todays economy it makes many people a little unsympathetic. I guess after sitting on the stool and blogging for 2 years reality starts to sink in and the pink cloud of having representation fighting for you no longer exists. I can almost bet when the phone rang 20 or 30 yrs ago and ford was offering a job they would have sifted through shtt. Now its totally different, people refuse work because its not their trade!!! Remember this, Ford gave us a job , all we have to do is show up and do it.!! Leave out all the rest of the crap, with the representation uaw members recieve these days, my advice would be, Buckle the chin strap up and get in there,dont sit on the sidelines while the game is being played. I am gonna have to side with the General on this one .

Well it didn't take long for the bashing. First I can only speak for myself, I have not turned down one offer. I would work anywhere, I mean anywhere in my trade.Second I have not been sitting on a stool for two years. While all of you and I assume you are production ( because you are bitter) were placed when my plant closed. There were NO OFFERS for a job in my trade for a year. When they did come it was for 5 to 6 jobs for 28 to bid on.Yes I have signed EVERY bid, no I have not turned down any work. And finally I don't know what you have seen or heard but not only did I work in other Dept's when they needed help but helped other trades as needed.Please don't group everyone in the same boat, like I wont say all production are bitter trades haters who think they know everything and are to stupid to pass the test..

All I was asking for was positive information from trades, not negative from production, but thanks for the hate!

Did you sign up for CAP ? I know plenty of trades that went to production and accept the fact they may not make it back to trades, so tell me again how willing are you to work? By the way, I'm working on my second degree! Odds are, if I were to take the test your lazy ass would be out another 2 years.

• Like 1

That’s an idea.

Take a production job at CAP.

Once you are there you are considered step 1 of the placement of hierarchy.

In essence you are first in line when your trade is needed at CAP. They are adding a shift and this could increase your chances of getting back to your trade.

I would contact the CAP local. May be they can give you some info about future needs with your trade.

BTW, what is your trade?

Did you sign up for CAP ? I know plenty of trades that went to production and accept the fact they may not make it back to trades, so tell me again how willing are you to work? By the way, I'm working on my second degree! Odds are, if I were to take the test your lazy ass would be out another 2 years.

Well I have 3 classes left for a BS in business from Oakland University, and if you have so many degrees and are so smart why are you still working on the line , why not take the test all these years?? Take the buyout!

Let me guess your second associates degree in whining?

PS I am all ready working on the line, have been over a year.No trades postings for CAP. Came from the line, I'm not above the work. Happy to be working, again looking for information and OTHER TRADES comments not an obnoxious bashing.

Thats an idea.

Take a production job at CAP.

Once you are there you are considered step 1 of the placement of hierarchy.

In essence you are first in line when your trade is needed at CAP. They are adding a shift and this could increase your chances of getting back to your trade.

I would contact the CAP local. May be they can give you some info about future needs with your trade.

BTW, what is your trade?

Thanks for the positive feedback. Actually you are not step one if you go to CAP because you need to have been on your tools at the location. Since I was not a tradesman their before I would not be step one. I Already spoke to IUAW about it.

No need to go to CAP to be one the line, have been back over a year now, at Saline currently.

Edited by uawfactoryrat

OTHER TRADES comments

I gave you my comments. It doesn't look good. Many plants will be losing work in the next couple of years with no announcement on replacement products.

That could turn around, but I wouldn't expect any major announcements on work until after contract.

Thats for the positive feedback. Actually you are not step one if you go to CAP because you need to have been on your tools at the location. Since I was not a tradesman their before I would not be step one. I Already spoke to IUAW about it.

No need to go to CAP to be one the line, have been back over a year now, at Saline currently.

Think you better call the IUAW job security 926-5000.

Job Security actually told my friend who is a tradesman working production that you would be step 1 only if you take the enhanced moving allowance. No need to be on the tools.

If you do not take enhanced moving allowance then CAP is not considered your home location.

Repectfully submitted, Lou

If you do not take enhanced moving allowance then CAP is not considered your home location.

Might want to check if the home location for trades even changes if you transfer as production.

For example: I am Electrician that transferred as an tradesman. If I am ever forced back to production, my current location is not my home plant for production. My former plant is. Since it is closed, I go into the general pool and could end up anywhere.

WHAT and take 2005 seniority? bite the big one. working on 2nd degree, whats that got you, A union job?

Well I have 3 classes left for a BS in business from Oakland University, and if you have so many degrees and are so smart why are you still working on the line , why not take the test all these years?? Take the buyout!

Let me guess your second associates degree in whining?

PS I am all ready working on the line, have been over a year.No trades postings for CAP. Came from the line, I'm not above the work. Happy to be working, again looking for information and OTHER TRADES comments not an obnoxious bashing.

Wow! I would think that someone 10-12 credits away from getting a BS in buisness wouldn't be so bitter about working the line. Just think, another semester or two and you could be a manager at Burger King where you could get back to your tools. Unless your an electrician, or welder I suggest finish your education and get some resumes' going because your lazy, whinning ass wont cut in production much longer. I dont recall stating that I work production however, if I had to, I certainly wouldn't cry like a little bitch ! If you dont want to work than quit !

Wow! I would think that someone 10-12 credits away from getting a BS in buisness wouldn't be so bitter about working the line. Just think, another semester or two and you could be a manager at Burger King where you could get back to your tools. Unless your an electrician, or welder I suggest finish your education and get some resumes' going because your lazy, whinning ass wont cut in production much longer. I dont recall stating that I work production however, if I had to, I certainly wouldn't cry like a little bitch ! If you dont want to work than quit !

Ok this moron says Im whining. Here is my original positive post, here is his negative angry response.

To start....happy to be working, but...

Its been a long time for many of us, years for some. Is it time we get the ball rolling to get us placed?

If anyone has phone numbers, please post.

Ideas on what should done?

Response....

when people turn down available work for whatever reason,especially .... especially, in todays economy it makes many people a little unsympathetic. I guess after sitting on the stool and blogging for 2 years reality starts to sink in and the pink cloud of having representation fighting for you no longer exists. I can almost bet when the phone rang 20 or 30 yrs ago and ford was offering a job they would have sifted through shtt. Now its totally different, people refuse work because its not their trade!!!

Im done with this turd, I have no time to argue with idiots.Im not bitter, or angry, just looking for information as I FIRST stated.

Once again,I would like to here from trades.

Thank you

I think what needs to happen is to get rid of date of entry in the trades, there is no reason for a pipefitter with 4 years working, when another is laid off or knocked down to production and he has more company time.

I honestly don't know what to tell you. No bashing intended, but with no significant new work in the system, and with consolidations in some trades, I don't see some people being placed back into their classification for some time. Hell, there are more plant closings/loss of work in the next year or so that will result in even more tradespeople being laid off.

They havent seen anything yet. Wait til 2011 and 2015. With consolidations and no real push from I-UAW for keeping or bringing in new work, EL's and PSO's are about the only trades which will work 100%. MR's and T&D and Welders will be yrs in some cases on the line. Many will never be called back. Remember, King is King now. And he is NO friend of the trades. And all Chairs will fall in line behind him. There is NO incentive for Ford to keep any tr ades on t heir tools. None. Just wait for 2011, you all will see.............

They havent seen anything yet. Wait til 2011 and 2015. With consolidations and no real push from I-UAW for keeping or bringing in new work, EL's and PSO's are about the only trades which will work 100%. MR's and T&D and Welders will be yrs in some cases on the line. Many will never be called back. Remember, King is King now. And he is NO friend of the trades. And all Chairs will fall in line behind him. There is NO incentive for Ford to keep any tr ades on t heir tools. None. Just wait for 2011, you all will see.............

Mr. King was an electrician hired into the Rouge back in the 60's, why is King not a friend of the trades? Sorry but I believe this statement to be false. Trades have been cut so much, I think they might be keeping on what they have. Some still are waiting to retire.

Mr. King was an electrician hired into the Rouge back in the 60's, why is King not a friend of the trades? Sorry but I believe this statement to be false. Trades have been cut so much, I think they might be keeping on what they have. Some still are waiting to retire.

GM= One mechanical trade. No apprenticeship no seperate trades

Chrysler=One mechanical trade. No apprenticeship no seperate trades

Ford Octomods= Mechanical teams with the ability to negotiate locally how to comingle. Still identified seperate trades. Full apprenticeship as we know it today.

I think Mr. King is supportive of the trades. Even under pressure he would not give the Company the same language as GM and Chrysler on One mechanical trade.

Respectfully, if you think Ford is standing pat with the trades as they are now, I really believe your statement to be false. The Nov'09 mods that we overwhelmingly trounced, would have allowed the transition from a few pilot plants going the GM way, to the whole system doing so. But going back to my original post, if you think Ford is going to bring T&D work, work for MR and GW, TDW back to get all of them off of production and/or ILO/TLO, it just aint gonna happen. Yes attrition of trades willl help but like I said , some of our brothers/sisters of trades will langiush on the line for yrs if not the rest of their careers while IUAW shows no visible attempts to bring or keep enough work in house to keep them on their tools......