Transit Connect - 2,315

Cube - 2,295

xB - 1,879

Mazda5 - 1,424

Element - 1,378

PT Cruiser - 997

xD - 915

Total Compact(ish) market sales

Honda 34,219 (including Element, not including Insight) ... Toyota 33,949 ... Chevy - 30,473 ... Nissan 21,205 ... Ford 19,246

Once initial demand dies down, I'm betting it sells in the 6-7K unit range.

Its pretty odd that the Versa outsells the Sentra...but the Sentra is older then dirt too and the Versa is C car sold at a B car price point.

Fiesta sales should be interesting to watch...but I think Focus sales are going to suffer because of it till the 2012 model comes along.

Still can't believe the number of lemmings who step into a new Corolla every month. I mean there is nothing remarkable about the vehicle whatsoever.

Have you seen the deals they have on them right now? Local dealers are pushing $139/month leases with $0 down... and their financing arm is approving credit for just about anything with a pulse.

Have you seen the deals they have on them right now? Local dealers are pushing $139/month leases with $0 down... and their financing arm is approving credit for just about anything with a pulse.

Still. I'd rather have a vehicle I actually liked than one that was simply cheap. I guess most people aren't me.

Still. I'd rather have a vehicle I actually liked than one that was simply cheap. I guess most people aren't me.

Yep, they're not being purchased by enthusiasts, that's for sure.

It's anecdotal, but....

My inlaws, due to some personal reasons (sustained job loss and whatnot) were forced into Bankruptcy last month. Three days after their filing, they started getting the usual "Credit Rebuilding" ads. Several outrageous credit card offers, a few ads from JD Buyrider and other BHPH places, and 3 car ads:

-1 from the local Honda dealer, promising financing on their used cars,

-One from a local Toyota dealer, advertising "unprecedented financing offers," even with bad credit and bankruptcies,

-One from Toyota Motor Co itself, saying that they're "ready for finance your future, not your past"

My prediction for Fiesta USA sales 4,000-5,000 monthly, and the 2012 Focus 14,000 - 15,000 per month.

Ford might sell less of the new Focus than they do the current Focus, but the profit margin on the new Focus should be higher. I'd like to see it make a run at the Corolla though.

Toyota needs all the help they can get. The xD is basically a new vehicle and it can't outsell a Chrysler that was introduced in the last century! :hysterical:

Where did this come from? Why aren't the small Jeeps on it? Isn't the Versa classified as a compact car?

My prediction for Fiesta USA sales 4,000-5,000 monthly, and the 2012 Focus 14,000 - 15,000 per month.

I'd say that's pretty conservative for both models. I fully expect the new Focus to increase sales pretty dramatically and start to nip at the heels of the Civic and Corolla, much as the Fusion is now doing to the Camry and Accord. Fiesta could very well take over the subcompact market.

I'd say that's pretty conservative for both models. I fully expect the new Focus to increase sales pretty dramatically and start to nip at the heels of the Civic and Corolla, much as the Fusion is now doing to the Camry and Accord. Fiesta could very well take over the subcompact market.

I think the Focus has a shot at the top because there are so many current and previous Focus owners out there who will want to upgrade in addition to first time buyers. For the Fiesta though it will only be first time buyers until the vehicle has been out for 3 years. That's what we saw with the 2010 Fusion - 06-08 owners were replacing their Fusions with the 2010 model in addition to all of the first time buyers. That's why Camry and Accord are number one - they've been doing that game for decades now with loyal buyers on their 4th or 5th Accord or Camry (or more). That's the key to big volume.

I think the Focus has a shot at the top because there are so many current and previous Focus owners out there who will want to upgrade in addition to first time buyers. For the Fiesta though it will only be first time buyers until the vehicle has been out for 3 years. That's what we saw with the 2010 Fusion - 06-08 owners were replacing their Fusions with the 2010 model in addition to all of the first time buyers. That's why Camry and Accord are number one - they've been doing that game for decades now with loyal buyers on their 4th or 5th Accord or Camry (or more). That's the key to big volume.

A fair number of those Focus buyers are very price sensitive, and when the new debuts with higher price points, they may balk at buying it. That is what happened when Honda introduced the current-generation Civic. Honda moved the car upscale, and some of the buyers of the cheaper versions balked and visited their local Toyota dealer, who was offering really good deals on the Toyota Corolla. Honda overcame that initial resistance, and the current Civic now sells well. I believe that Ford may repeat that experience, so the new Focus may take some time to gain traction. A fair number of buyers in this class are price sensitive - that is how Chevy can still sell Cobalts, and Toyota can still sell Corollas.

My feeling is that some of the current Focus customers will have serious sticker shock with the new Focus and be more inclined to shop the Fiesta if they choose to stay with the Blue Oval. For sure both cars should drum up some interest or conquest sales as both cars are new to the N.A. market.

But I find it hard to imagine that the Focus would get near the crazy sales numbers of the Corolla and Civic. That consumer in N.A. market are insanely loyal to the Toyota & Honda brand.

Edited by MKII

that is how Chevy can still sell Cobalts

Apparently it's now Chevrolet, not Chevy. Just so you know. Chevy.....err.....Chevrolet issued a memo to dealers telling them to stop calling it Chevy. If that's not proof just how screwed up GM is now then I don't know what is.

Look at its competition friends. The Cobalt would've been a competitive compact 10 years ago, and Dodge thought an inefficient nearly-crossover was the ticket to competing in a field that is still cost sensitive.

I do not hold out hope for the Cruze, GM seems incapable of competing in this segment. Chrysler could compete, depending on the Fiat content of the coming small sedan and execution. But Ford seems poised to move into the Honda-Toyota field if the new Focus has the brass tacks to take 'em on.

But I find it hard to imagine that the Focus would get near the crazy sales numbers of the Corolla and Civic. That consumer in N.A. market are insanely loyal to the Toyota & Honda brand.

Keep in mind that a lot of the compact market consists of first-time buyers who have no established brand loyalty. The Focus stands to gain a lot of first-time customers who are now seeing the Ford brand in a much more positive light than they had in the past.

Is its Fords goal to take on the sales number game with Honda and Toyota?

Very good point Nick, watching from afar I get a strong sense of changed perception from the USA consumer & even the N.A. auto journalists are saying

nice things about Fords new products.

If the Cruze is anything like it is over here I cannot see it in the same level as the new Focus, but the Cruze should appeal to the consumer who would like the Corolla type of car.

Cruze is very underwhelming, it is a good vehicle and a step in the right direction for GM IMO if the goal is to go after the Corolla type customer.

The new Focus I would think is going to be bad news for the VW America temptingGolf/Jetta/Audi A3 customers. Not to say there are alot of VW Golf customers in USA, but that type of person with the means and desire to spend that extra to get the perceived (thats for RJ) euro engineering, tech goodies and not the norm features found on the current USA C segment cars.

Edited by MKII

While specific sales targets probably aren't part of the equation, I'm sure they won't complain if its numbers increase into that range.

I think it's fair to say that Ford isn't chasing any sales volume targets. If they were then Dean would have all the Flexes he could sell. Ford seems content to sell the RIGHT number of vehicles and if that happens to make them number 1 then that's fine, but they're not going to compromise anything to get there.

I think it's fair to say that Ford isn't chasing any sales volume targets. If they were then Dean would have all the Flexes he could sell. Ford seems content to sell the RIGHT number of vehicles and if that happens to make them number 1 then that's fine, but they're not going to compromise anything to get there.

Priority 1: Sustainable Profitability, for each model and brand

Priority 2: Marketshare

Priority 3: Volume