Ode to the Mercury Grand Marquis

Hey, just like a friend of mine who loved late 50s Desotos. He thought the pinnacle of automotive engineering was the 58 Desoto. His last one expired in the late 80s with over 300K on the last rebuilt transmission. At that point, not being able to find another acceptable 58 Desoto, he settled for the next best thing ( in his opinion) , a 62 Chevrolet.

To each his own.

This is the perfect story about the Panther chassis vehicles....a great reason to buy one is because they can be had real cheap as long as you buy a used one. The only reason why Ford killed it off seems to be that they just couldn't seem to convince all those "loyal" customers to ever step up and buy a new one.

This is the perfect story about the Panther chassis vehicles....a great reason to buy one is because they can be had real cheap as long as you buy a used one. The only reason why Ford killed it off seems to be that they just couldn't seem to convince all those "loyal" customers to ever step up and buy a new one.

and when pray tell is the last time Ford TRIED "to convince all those "loyal" customers to ever step up and buy a new one"?????

ie made the MGM LOOK new

and when pray tell is the last time Ford TRIED "to convince all those "loyal" customers to ever step up and buy a new one"?????

ie made the MGM LOOK new

2006 was the last exterior refresh, and the "loyal" customers knew what they were gonna do anyway. Wait for those to show up in used lots.

That's the Panther legacy now if you're not a fleet buyer.

The real Panther buyer is over 60 years old and does not buy used cars, many write a check for the car and drive off paid in full.

The new Mercury Grand Marquis buyer does not frequent BON or any other car forum.

The new MGM buyer loves the car because it is familiar, solid and drives like cars they have had most of their lives.

Used Panther buyers are a generation younger and sometimes frequent car forums where others assume they represent the vehicle's customer base.

2006 was the last exterior refresh, and the "loyal" customers knew what they were gonna do anyway. Wait for those to show up in used lots.

That's the Panther legacy now if you're not a fleet buyer.

you & I have very different ideas about what "LOOK new" means

The GM is almost my favorite ever US car.

I did 2 weeks driving around Raleigh, followed by a drive to Atlanta, and then two weeks around Atlanta in one, and loved it.

In my heart it competes with the Five Hundred (before it was renamed Taurus) That I drive around Hawaii Big Island for three days.

These two cars captured all that is needed in a Car, If it was current and available in Australia, I would have a GM, and a 500 for the wife.

The GM is almost my favorite ever US car.

I did 2 weeks driving around Raleigh, followed by a drive to Atlanta, and then two weeks around Atlanta in one, and loved it.

In my heart it competes with the Five Hundred (before it was renamed Taurus) That I drive around Hawaii Big Island for three days.

These two cars captured all that is needed in a Car, If it was current and available in Australia, I would have a GM, and a 500 for the wife.

Here, people want the Falcon to replace the Panthers.

You are the first person I've ever seen that has a Falcon readily available in their country but desires a GM.

Here, people want the Falcon to replace the Panthers.

You are the first person I've ever seen that has a Falcon readily available in their country but desires a GM.

Most likely a person who would have loved the dear departed LWB Fairlane.....

ford-falcon-father-dies_10.jpg

A perfect explanation as to why many people love the Panther.

http://www.carlustbl...uis-part-1.html

Streets of the big apple won't be the same again without a Panther on the prowl, shame on you Ford for giving up on another market letting another Ford rot on the vine for years Ford should be trying to win in every market there is and not just throwing in the towel on it, yes you can see why folk loved the trusty reliable durable Grand Marquis.

3515908349_69e22d12e7.jpg

800px-Volkswagen_Jetta_TDI_New_York_City_Taxi.jpg

800px-NYC_Hybrid_Taxi.JPG

Good ole days for the Ford who took their finger of the pulse to busy pumping money into shit like money pit Jaguar/Land Rover developments at the time, the big apple will never look as good as this ever again.

ny-taxi.jpg

I can't WAIT until the livery commission has to double cab rates on the general public. I'll be laughing my a** off.

The prius' and other crap that NYC is forcing into the cab fleets are going to have to be serviced an replaced at twice the rate of the vics. not only that the suspension is gonna get the snot kicked out of it from the roads. the bottomed out prius is emblematic of whats going to go on.

Plus if you're paying for a cab - do you REALLY wanna squish into the back of a prius or jetta? heck no.

the escape hybrid cab seemed to have the best shot at being part of the cab fleet but hasn't seemed to become a dominant player.

I just find it funny that whenever i get in a cab and check the odo and talk to the cabbie - they LOVE the vic. it gives them 300-400k+ miles and it keeps service costs down.

If it wasn't for the city, their stupid hybrid rules and lack of foresight the vic would remain the primary go to for the fleet.

I can't WAIT until the livery commission has to double cab rates on the general public. I'll be laughing my a** off.

The prius' and other crap that NYC is forcing into the cab fleets are going to have to be serviced an replaced at twice the rate of the vics. not only that the suspension is gonna get the snot kicked out of it from the roads. the bottomed out prius is emblematic of whats going to go on.

Plus if you're paying for a cab - do you REALLY wanna squish into the back of a prius or jetta? heck no.

the escape hybrid cab seemed to have the best shot at being part of the cab fleet but hasn't seemed to become a dominant player.

I just find it funny that whenever i get in a cab and check the odo and talk to the cabbie - they LOVE the vic. it gives them 300-400k+ miles and it keeps service costs down.

If it wasn't for the city, their stupid hybrid rules and lack of foresight the vic would remain the primary go to for the fleet.

To your points above...

Official NYC cabs by law have to be replaced every 3-5 years, regardless of mileage or condition.

And hybrids make much more sense now in the days where the average gas price is close to $3/gal in NYC. Panthers aren't known for good city mileage (and it's probably even worse in that environment).

The real Panther buyer is over 60 years old and does not buy used cars, many write a check for the car and drive off paid in full a fleet manager of some sort.

The new Mercury Grand Marquis buyer does not frequent BON or any other car forum.

The new MGM buyer loves the car because it is familiar, solid and drives like cars they have had most of their lives cheap.

Made a couple corrections. Hope you don't mind. :D