Any new 2.0L Ecoboost info?

I am thinking about buying a new Edge, Explorer or Flex and I and would like information on the 2.0L Ecoboost engine. Specifically when will it be available and what are the power levels ang MPG ratings. I will be traveling more in the future and highway MPG's are important. My TDI Jetta is too small for my needs and Ford won't touch diesels in America. (No flaming please). I am about 2-3 months away from buying, but I like to get ahead on things.

I can tell you this much, your not going to see the Ecoboost I4 in the states till LATE this year....if that.

I posted some info on the Mondeo Ecoboost last week...but keep in mind that according to people here, that system is mostly third party, where as the one coming to NA (and I guess the EU after a while) was done in house..so power and MPG will be slightly different.

With a 2L Ecoboost, the Mustang could return 35+ MPG and still be as quick as the '10 V6.

A 2.0L ecoboost won't be anywhere near 300 hp or 270 lb/ft. A 2.5L might get there though. But it's doubtful you'd be able to get 35+ mpg even with the 2.0L.

I think you're being a little optimistic on what the 2L EB will be capable of.

If the new 2011 Sonata can get 274HP and 269 lb-ft of torque and 34 MPG from a twin-scroll turbocharged 2.0-liter direct-injection four-cylinder...Dearborn hopefully will beat that, but assuming we are getting close to the laws of physics and durability...along with regular unleaded gas.

SparcEE

I think you're being a little optimistic on what the 2L EB will be capable of.

It should be as fast as the Cologne (2010) V6.

And, while 35mpg might be a bit of a stretch, keeping the engine off heavy boost should return low/mid 30s on the highway (say 33/34), given that it's about the same weight as the Fusion.

Edited by RichardJensen

Next Monday is the official Facebook release of the Explorer.

I've looked around and cant find a date anywhere to confirm this.

If the official reveal is next Monday, why do I have to sign a confidentiality agreement to go see it at Ford's Product Development Center next Friday?

Ford has said 20% better fuel economy than a V6, right? In a 'Stang, that is 37+. Now, can they meet that? I kinda doubt it, but I would be happy to be proven wrong!

They might have said 20% better than A V-6, not necessarily 20% better than THAT V-6!

I've looked around and cant find a date anywhere to confirm this.

If the official reveal is next Monday, why do I have to sign a confidentiality agreement to go see it at Ford's Product Development Center next Friday?

I guess I was wrong, on the official page they state July sometime, so I'd assume its going to be after next Friday ;)

No official word on a V6 3.5EB in it either, just the EB 2.0L and 3.5L V6

Edited by silvrsvt

It should be as fast as the Cologne (2010) V6.

And, while 35mpg might be a bit of a stretch, keeping the engine off heavy boost should return low/mid 30s on the highway (say 33/34), given that it's about the same weight as the Fusion.

The acceleration part was where I was being the most skeptical. I'm sure it could best then 3.7 by a few MPG.

I guess I was wrong, on the official page they state July sometime, so I'd assume its going to be after next Friday ;)

No official word on a V6 3.5EB in it either, just the EB 2.0L and 3.5L V6

I've found the 3.5L in my Edge to be perfectly adequate. The 2011 version has a slight power bump, though the Explorer is probably a few hundred pounds heavier than an Edge. The 3.5L EB would be nice, but I don't think I would need it.

I've found the 3.5L in my Edge to be perfectly adequate. The 2011 version has a slight power bump, though the Explorer is probably a few hundred pounds heavier than an Edge. The 3.5L EB would be nice, but I don't think I would need it.

well I've driven the Edge and Escape and they both have good power, but I'd expect the 3.5l EB to be a V8 replacement in the Explorer. Its offered in the Flex, why not the Explorer?

Ah, so it was. Why mention that turd ever again? As a Ford fan I do all in my power to pretend it never existed at this point. :lol:

True enough. But when it was first introduced in the Explorer and later in the Ranger it was a superior engine to its main competition at the time, the 4.3L GM 90 deg V6. Ford just hung onto it too long and probably used it where they shouldn't have (Mustang). It was designed as a truck/SUV engine and as such it did a decent job until they could justify the cost of a more modern design.