2011 Explorer Order Status

That's a great price! There are many options that will delay your order and that's one of the reasons I choose the Limited 301A package. Just got an update last week from Cyberdman and there has been no change from the day I ordered it on 8/10/10. You need to get a copy of your DORA and track your order with the Dealer Code and Order Number on the DORA. The DORA is generated from Ford by the next working day after your dealer ordered the vehicle. Cyberdman is a Ford employee that will track your vehicle if you play by his rules that you must read before posting a request to track your order. I suggest you start reading my request for tracking first to see Cyberdman's response and don't bug him often. Before you can post in that Forum you need to have posted at least 10 times in this Forum or at BlueOval. I see this was your 1st post so you will need to get posting. This link will get you to the tracking Forum and you can read some material and ask questions here to build up your post numbers:

http://www.blueovalf...ford-employees/

The last I heard, Ford is beginning production of the 2011 Explorer on 11/3/10.

Thanks for the info...

I'm a fan of the Ford Explorer on facebook and I mentioned about the production date and this is the response that I got:

Terry - we have not stated an production date but there has been no movement in the production date for the truck. Jay

So when production will begin it still up in the air. I know that www.dealerconnection.com doesn't have the Explorer listed in the 2011 MY. So I definetly wouldn't expect it before the end of the year. I thought I heard some where that the current Explorer/Sport Trac will conclude production at the end of the year. So we all need to be patient.

Agree, but when production starts to begin, the dealers can adjust priorities based on their orders and cash flow. I put down $1000 but that's on an a XPlan amount deal. Everyone is hurting these days and cash is king. Ford can't be patient but I can because I have an '02 Explorer to still tow my boat. There is only a few people that even care about ordering a fuel sucking pig (FSP) Explorer any more.

This article just in:

"With the all-new, car-based 2011 Explorer, which goes into production in December and officially launches in early January, the automaker has tried to eliminate such "dissatisfiers" to keep Explorer owners with Ford and also lure new ones from competitors."

"The official Explorer launch Jan. 11."

http://www.autoobserver.com/2010/10/2011-ford-explorer-winning-back-explorer-owners-and-then-some.html

Looks like things are moving further down the road.

I use to buy AWD Broncos but it was overkill. I've had 3 Explorers with RWD limited-slip and they never had any problems getting the boat up the ramps anywhere in Florida. The 2011 FWD should be as good if not better at towing than the RWD Explorers for three reasons. The ramps are the cleanest where the front wheels are, the weight from the engine and transaxle are on the front end, and you don't need limited-slip because you have traction control now. The V6 now has 290hp with enough torque and that should be plenty.

One of the main reasons I'm upgrading from my '02 EB V8 Explorer is gas mileage and I'm not going to spoil that with AWD. I'll save the gas and use it in the boat for my new Honda 4 stroke 150 which also gets great mileage. I'm planning a road trip to the Florida Keys as soon as I get the new engine broke-in for towing. Maybe I should post here about how the 2011 performs when I get back. Just got back from there for lobster season and the brakes were not stopping me as good as they use to in my '02 Explorer. I had a heavy load so I'll be able to compare the same load with the new Explorer and report my findings here.

I'm interested to hear how the FWD explorer does towing a boat. I see a couple issues in your analysis:

1) Although the front tires generally have a better coefficient of friction being on the dry part of ramp, your F/R weight distribution changes to favor the rear axle when you're on an incline and having a loaded trailer attached. It doesn't surprise me that the RWD Explorers did OK, but I have my doubts about how a FWD will perform this task.

2) Traction Control is not the same as a limited-slip differential, and does not make an acceptable substitute for limited slip. Traction Control simply transfers power to the other wheel if one starts slipping along with cutting throttle regardless of gas pedal position. A limited slip differential has clutch packs that require about 80 ft-lbs of torque to overcome in order spin the axle shafts at different speeds - in effect giving you 2x the traction since both wheels are being driven.

Anyway, I wish you luck and am looking forward to seeing how Ford's FWD gamble on the Explorer works out.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

I'm interested to hear how the FWD explorer does towing a boat. I see a couple issues in your analysis:

1) Although the front tires generally have a better coefficient of friction being on the dry part of ramp, your F/R weight distribution changes to favor the rear axle when you're on an incline and having a loaded trailer attached. It doesn't surprise me that the RWD Explorers did OK, but I have my doubts about how a FWD will perform this task.

2) Traction Control is not the same as a limited-slip differential, and does not make an acceptable substitute for limited slip. Traction Control simply transfers power to the other wheel if one starts slipping along with cutting throttle regardless of gas pedal position. A limited slip differential has clutch packs that require about 80 ft-lbs of torque to overcome in order spin the axle shafts at different speeds - in effect giving you 2x the traction since both wheels are being driven.

Anyway, I wish you luck and am looking forward to seeing how Ford's FWD gamble on the Explorer works out.

I don't disagree because my '02 2WD Explorer has never spun the wheels ever taking the boat up even a steep wet ramp during a rain storm. That's keeping the tire pressure at 44psi also to maintain the best MPG. The Limited-Slip (I think 3.91 gears) RWD with the Tow Package did better than OK in my conditions for me.

I admit, I got a little up-set when Ford was thinking about making the Mustang a FWD vehicle. On the other hand, I'M EXCITED Ford has dropped the truck frame and gone to a FWD more fuel efficient Explorer. The first gear ratio in the 6 speed V6 is 4.484 which should be fine on any boat ramp or just getting off the line from a stop. The 20' rims and P255/50R tires should put more than enough rubber down for traction also. My '09 FWD FEH has Traction Control and RSC and if I needed more engine power and the wheels to spin, I can just turn it Off with the push of a button.

Ford made all the changes I needed to purchase another Explorer and I was not even considering another Explorer ever again until Ford reinvented the 2011. I'm a hypermiler and can get excellent MPG out of my '02 Explorer with the V8 but I know I will exceed 30mpg out of this 2011 Explorer. Ford gave me the tools to get a lifetime MPG average in my '09 FEH up to 52.7mpg in over 25,000 miles http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage&displayunits=MPG%28US%29&viewcar=2612 My wife will be the primary driver for the 2011 Explorer, so I don't expect her to get even near the EPA estimates.

If I ever thought about AWD and Off Road as a hobby, I would do it right with a Raptor or something. The 2011 Explorer fits my needs just fine.

I don't disagree because my '02 2WD Explorer has never spun the wheels ever taking the boat up even a steep wet ramp during a rain storm. That's keeping the tire pressure at 44psi also to maintain the best MPG. The Limited-Slip (I think 3.91 gears) RWD with the Tow Package did better than OK in my conditions for me.

I admit, I got a little up-set when Ford was thinking about making the Mustang a FWD vehicle. On the other hand, I'M EXCITED Ford has dropped the truck frame and gone to a FWD more fuel efficient Explorer. The first gear ratio in the 6 speed V6 is 4.484 which should be fine on any boat ramp or just getting off the line from a stop. The 20' rims and P255/50R tires should put more than enough rubber down for traction also. My '09 FWD FEH has Traction Control and RSC and if I needed more engine power and the wheels to spin, I can just turn it Off with the push of a button.

Ford made all the changes I needed to purchase another Explorer and I was not even considering another Explorer ever again until Ford reinvented the 2011. I'm a hypermiler and can get excellent MPG out of my '02 Explorer with the V8 but I know I will exceed 30mpg out of this 2011 Explorer. Ford gave me the tools to get a lifetime MPG average in my '09 FEH up to 52.7mpg in over 25,000 miles http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage&displayunits=MPG%28US%29&viewcar=2612 My wife will be the primary driver for the 2011 Explorer, so I don't expect her to get even near the EPA estimates.

If I ever thought about AWD and Off Road as a hobby, I would do it right with a Raptor or something. The 2011 Explorer fits my needs just fine.

I have to agree with Sevensecondsuv. You have thought it out, but it still will be very interesting to see a FWD on a boat incline of 15 to 20 degrees. I was talking to a co-worker who has done towing and he says that a boat is rear end heavy and so it would probably try pulling the back end of the Explorer up, which would put more weight on the front wheels. However, in Florida the ramps aren't very steep so I don't see a problem with a FWD there, but if the angle gets worse, I just see that the weight transfer on the vehicle would change and in a way it could take a lot of weight off the front tires causing them to slip. Also slippery boat ramps may be a challenge. I wouldn't know because I don't haul a boat or a trailer.

I read about hypermiling and it look good and I try to do everything they say, but I also see that taking the "fun" out of driving. I also see that these people can possibly be a bit dangerous because of slowing down too much and early and those of use who are use to driving a certain way, would get frustrated. I have been there and it is no fun. it's like one of my pet peeves and that is when you are climbing a hill, put your foot on the accelerator and get moving up the hill. I have come up on some people doing the speed limit on a hill and they will slow down to say 45 or even 40 miles per hour. I have to slam on brake from hitting them. This to me is dangerous. Also if you want to go slow and save fuel then get out of the fast lane and let those of us who want to go, go.

I'm all for saving fuel and getting every bit of mileage out of a gallon of gas, but lets do it safely and be smart about it. Also be smart about the way we drive and driving in my book is fun. It should be fun and not boring. It is like these kids now a days says that driving is boring so they have to text. Well lets put them in a car/truck that got some pep and let them feel the fun of driving and having a car that will get up and go and not some small little four banger that gets you from point "A" to "B." For me, with us looking to go super fuel efficient and save gas, I feel like we will loose the fun of driving, because the cars themselves will become boring to drive. They will become transportation instead of something fun to drive.

Thanks for listening to my rants on this. I just feel like the fun of driving and the cars will become boring to drive and just boring.

Hi Terry

I'm a diver and fisherman and just about lived on the water all over Florida for 40 years. I've seen just about everything that can happen at boat ramps putting boats in and taking them out. A 2WD V6 Escape could handle a 3,500 pound boat and trailer like mine at the ramps because I see them all the time there with bigger boats than mine. The problem I have with the V6 Escape would not be at the ramp but on the road. The weight of the Escape is what scares me when it comes to stopping and handling with a trailer with that kind of weight. There is not much of a safety factor with an Escape towing 3,500 pounds for which it's max rated. On the other hand, the 2011 Explorer V6 is rated to tow up to 5,000 pounds, has sway control, better braking, and can handle 3,500 pounds with a 1,500 pound safety factor. Anything rated over 5,000 pounds would be a waste of vehicle and gas for me. The 2011 2WD V6 Explorer has enough overkill to be loaded-up inside and still tow what I have safely.

As far as hypermiling, driving slower than 5mph under the speed limit in any kind of traffic is dangerous in my opinion. I prefer to drive the speed limit and a little over when I do a hypermiling technique call Pulse & Glide. In my present Explorer for example, anything under 41mph you shift down and out of overdrive where the best MPG is had. Every vehicle has its sweet speeds to get the best MPG possible out of it. Most of hypermiling is finding the right routes to get from point A to point B in the most efficient way in the vehicle your driving. The task today was I had to drive ~50 miles each way and be back in 2 hours. My wife was with me so that meant windows up and A/C On. The most efficient way was to take my '05 FEH on I-95 to get to Boca Raton and back to Jupiter. I averaged 36mpg with E10 gas with no problems holding back any traffic. If I had more time and was by myself, I would have drove my '09 FEH without the A/C along the coastal roads and would have averaged ~68mpg on E10. If I had taken my '02 Explorer, the A/C on I-95 would be my best route regardless if my wife was with me and I would have gotten ~26mpg with E10. If my wife drove the '05 FEH she would have got ~26mpg and ~17mpg in the Explorer today. If I had taken the '05 FEH by myself along the coastal route without the A/C, I would have expected ~43mpg because E10 kills the '05 2.3L engine MPG. Straight gas would get me 52mpg in the '05 on that same trip if it was still available in Florida.

Personally, hypermiling is a hobby I enjoy doing along the coast here. Before I started hypermiling I would prefer the scenic routes if I had the time. Driving fast on the highway is not good for my blood pressure and is just plain boring to me.

Edited by GaryG

This article just in:

"With the all-new, car-based 2011 Explorer, which goes into production in December and officially launches in early January, the automaker has tried to eliminate such "dissatisfiers" to keep Explorer owners with Ford and also lure new ones from competitors."

"The official Explorer launch Jan. 11."

http://www.autoobser...-then-some.html

Looks like things are moving further down the road.

According to the fleet company we use for work, which is updated constantly, they still show the 2011 Explorer starting production next month. Hopefully "official launch" and "official production" dates are two different things. I guess we'll know in a few weeks!

According to the fleet company we use for work, which is updated constantly, they still show the 2011 Explorer starting production next month. Hopefully "official launch" and "official production" dates are two different things. I guess we'll know in a few weeks!

Speaking of "official production," apparently that will begin the 1st week of November because there is a user on facebook who posted his window sticker for his 2011 Explorer XLT 4WD. Based on my understanding of how the window sticker is set up, it is suppose to be built on 05 Nov 2010. He blocked out the sequence number, so I can't look it up on-line to verify that the windows sticker is available. So those of you who have an Explorer on order might want to check with your dealership to see if a VIN has been produced, because it could be built next week or the week after.

Dealerconnection.com doesn't have any listing for the Explorer and I even tried near the home town of where the guy lives. so good luck to you all.

I'm the user from facebook. This is an employee lease vehicle, and is technically a pre-production model. That's why it says not for sale. This car will likely sit in a lot until it is green-lit for shipping. It'll probably ship around the same time the first actual customers ship. They are making sure these models have no problems before starting on retail models.

I'm the user from facebook. This is an employee lease vehicle, and is technically a pre-production model. That's why it says not for sale. This car will likely sit in a lot until it is green-lit for shipping. It'll probably ship around the same time the first actual customers ship. They are making sure these models have no problems before starting on retail models.

Thanks for sharing that. Is this a Ford employee and did the employee get a priority below a 10 or did this order even go through a dealership?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Have you received a VIN or change in status?

I ordered virtually the same vehicle in August as well. I still have not received any updates from my dealer.

2011 Explorer Limited AWD V6

Rapid Spec 301A

White Platinum Tri color

Trailer Tow

Captains Chairs

Have you heard of any production delays?

Thanks, Mitch

Hi,

Have you received a VIN or change in status?

I ordered virtually the same vehicle in August as well. I still have not received any updates from my dealer.

2011 Explorer Limited AWD V6

Rapid Spec 301A

White Platinum Tri color

Trailer Tow

Captains Chairs

Have you heard of any production delays?

Thanks, Mitch

Hi Mitch

Matter of fact, I talked to my salesman a few hours ago and ask him if he had a VIN for me yet. No VIN yet either for me. I told him to stay on it and call me as soon as he gets one. At least I know it was ordered 8/10/10 in my name according to the DORA but the priority was only given a 15. The only delays I've heard of was due to quality control inspections but that wouldn't stop getting a VIN. I'll make it known here as soon as I get the VIN and you do the same. People here want to see a VIN and window sticker on the 2011 Explorer and I have no problem posting mine as soon as I get one. The EPA has not posted the mileage rating yet and that must be posted on the window sticker I think. Maybe that's the problem, no VIN or window sticker until EPA releases the numbers. I have made the 2011 Explorer one of my google alerts so I get most information as soon as it comes out in an email all day long.

I thought about those Captain Chairs, but I need the extra seat sometimes. The bench sit has a fold down arm rest with cup holders for two people and that's all I want or need.

I got a PM on another site on this:

"I'm new to the forum and just wanted to stop by and introduce myself! I'm working directly with Team Detroit for the launch of the all new 2011 Ford Explorer! I've been perusing the discussion threads and have really enjoyed reading your posts I wanted to reach out and and let you know that I'll be here to answer and questions you have about the new Explorer! So, if anything comes to mind feel free to shoot over any questions!"

If any of you want me to pop your questions from this thread, I'll pass it on and post the answer in this thread. I have a few to start with:

1. Does the Tow Package have a hidden hitch when not being used like some models?

2. I ordered the 2011 Explorer 9/10/10 and have not got a VIN or window sticker, are delay because of the EPA ratings not being out yet?

3. Are there any factory holds on the FWD 0r AWD Explorer Limited V6, Platinum White, Tow Package, 301A package, Bench or Captains Chairs?

4. What brand tire and size is coming on the Limited rims?

5. Does the new V6 A/C compressor have a standard external clutch?

I'll post her answers ASAP.

Gary

From LA Auto Show, I can answer 2 of them:

1. Tow hitch is hidden behind a black plastic cover (stay in place by 2 hooks and 2 attached plastic 'screws') - from outside it's a clean look - just a liitle bulge of the cover itself.

4. HANKOOK.

Thanks, I thought it was time the Explorer dressed the hitch area up. Two pictures so far have confirmed the 2011 Limited Explorer 20" rim has a Hankook's Optimo All-Season tires on it. This tire is not available in the 20" size now but this is not new for Ford to deal with specs and tire manufactures for new tires. More than likely that tire will have a very Low Roll Resistance (LRR) for that size tire. I buy an original rim and tire to replace the temporary spare when I buy a new vehicle and weigh them them both before mounting them. The lighter the tire and rim, the better the MPG in most cases because they have a lower LRR. For example, a LRR tire that has 50% wear may get a few MPG better than that same tire new because the tire is lighter with less rubber.

Edited by GaryG

not bad for 290 hp awd!

the edge used to be 17/24 in fwd. lol

Thanks for posting the first window sticker I've seen on the 2011 Explorer. I must say I had sticker shock at first, but seeing it is the AWD, I came back to life with CPR. I ordered FWD to get better MPG and I'm happy the EPA rated the AWD at least 17mpg city. I'd love to see 19/28 for the FWD Limited but 18/27 would be nice also.

Please people, post your window sticker ASAP. Thanks