2011 Explorer Order Status

Rumors on Facebook say that dealers are getting demos before customers are getting vehicles. It becomes an interesting marketing game of would you rather have potential customers see your vehicle in a dealership or would you rather have them seeing them on the roads? With it snowing here in Michigan, I am in the camp that people would be more impressed seeing it perform in the inclimate weather!

I thought the 2011 Explorer was going to start being built in early Nov, but everything I'm reading now says they started Dec. 1st. I'm not expecting my order till March and may not see any at my dealer till mid January.

The Explorers built in November were all "pre-production" models...some people were lucky enough to actually test drive those! Starting December 1st was all the dealer, fleet and special orders. I'm actually disappointed, I ordered mine in early October, what I thought was pretty simple (Black on Black AWD limited, spec 301A, Entertainment system). Usually the entertainment systems are a dealer installed option, so I was hoping no delays from factory on that. I still have not received a VIN and my dealer called to tell me they're having trouble getting any updates on their stock orders. That's very frustrating. I get that Ford explains that they mixed in dealer orders so that the people that wouldn't purchase until driving one could buy....BUT, how disappointing would it be to know that your neighbor or friend went to the dealership and bought your EXACT model only because it was dealer stock instead of your order? They should have built all the pre-orders FIRST and then moved to dealer stock for the official launch date. I've seen a lot of pre-orders-from web surfing-that won't be built until mid-January---nothing special on their order. Living in Northeast Ohio, it would have been GREAT to see it for all this snow. I'm seriously considering cancelling the order and purchasing a BMW X5 only because it's AVAILABLE and i won't get the run around!! Tried to switch back to Ford with this one after owning Lexus for many years, but this isn't looking promising.

I got a PM on another site on this:

"I'm new to the forum and just wanted to stop by and introduce myself! I'm working directly with Team Detroit for the launch of the all new 2011 Ford Explorer! I've been perusing the discussion threads and have really enjoyed reading your posts I wanted to reach out and and let you know that I'll be here to answer and questions you have about the new Explorer! So, if anything comes to mind feel free to shoot over any questions!"

If any of you want me to pop your questions from this thread, I'll pass it on and post the answer in this thread. I have a few to start with:

1. Does the Tow Package have a hidden hitch when not being used like some models?

2. I ordered the 2011 Explorer 9/10/10 and have not got a VIN or window sticker, are delay because of the EPA ratings not being out yet?

3. Are there any factory holds on the FWD 0r AWD Explorer Limited V6, Platinum White, Tow Package, 301A package, Bench or Captains Chairs?

4. What brand tire and size is coming on the Limited rims?

5. Does the new V6 A/C compressor have a standard external clutch?

I'll post her answers ASAP.

Gary

Here is her answers:

GaryG I have some answers for you Thanks for all the great questions!

The hitch has a cover, so it is not visible when not in use. It is not a hidden hitch in the manner of retracting under the bumper.

As for the VIN sticker, retail orders are still being added to the production schedule. Once scheduled for production, a VIN will be available. EPA testing was completed earlier this week.

There are no factory holds on any of the equipment listed. The only option that is later availability is rear inflatable seat belts.

Here's some more info on the tire options

Standard:

P245/60R18 A/S BSW

18" is Michelin.

Optional

P255/50R20 A/S BSW

20" is Hankook.

Just curious to anyone who received a VIN/build date on your 2011 explorer, when did you put your order in? Curious to see how quickly they're running through the orders...

Slightly disappointing to me was the fact that I have seen several other 2011 Explorers being tracked in another forum. I've seen a scheduled build date of January 10th as one of the latest---which worries me that since I'm not even yet scheduled, mine won't be produced until AFTER that date. With blizzard snow the second week in a row, it would have been nice. Honestly, if I knew it was going to take this long, I would have bought an BMW X5....wanted to give Ford another try.

Just curious to anyone who received a VIN/build date on your 2011 explorer, when did you put your order in? Curious to see how quickly they're running through the orders...

I placed an order on August 11 and as of last Friday, there is still no VIN pulled. It is officially in Ford's system as Unscheduled - Clean. Very frustrating considering the fact that the lease on my Edge is up December 27! When we originally ordered the thing, we were told we would have it by Christmas, but that time table has sailed!

I placed an order on August 11 and as of last Friday, there is still no VIN pulled. It is officially in Ford's system as Unscheduled - Clean. Very frustrating considering the fact that the lease on my Edge is up December 27! When we originally ordered the thing, we were told we would have it by Christmas, but that time table has sailed!

AND, after flipping through TV before bed last night, my husband tells me to RUN into the bedroom to see something. On that Bret Michels show on VH1, he had his COMPLETELY custom 2011 Ford Explorer personally delivered to him. I literally looked at my husband and said "Guess I know why ours is taking more time, he had to have pretty seats..."

Even more of a slap in the face. If I don't get a VIN by Monday, I'll need to cancel the purchase on the fully loaded Limited I purchased and move on the the X5, I really can't afford to wait any longer. Which is disappointing. Ah well, guess I've closed the lid on Ford for good. After growing up with my first car as a 87 5.0 Mustang GT, moving to a 2002 Mustang GT and then onto Lexus, it's unfortunate that I may have to stick it out in the luxury segment. The last Lexus I purchased, i had GREAT communication on the EXACT whereabouts of my vehicle. All this run around is more frustrating than herding cats.

I went and saw my dealer today and he said that I will have a VIN # sometime tomorrow!!! I will post as soon as I get it.

Here is her answers:

GaryG I have some answers for you Thanks for all the great questions!

The hitch has a cover, so it is not visible when not in use. It is not a hidden hitch in the manner of retracting under the bumper.

As for the VIN sticker, retail orders are still being added to the production schedule. Once scheduled for production, a VIN will be available. EPA testing was completed earlier this week.

There are no factory holds on any of the equipment listed. The only option that is later availability is rear inflatable seat belts.

Here's some more info on the tire options

Standard:

P245/60R18 A/S BSW

18" is Michelin.

Optional

P255/50R20 A/S BSW

20" is Hankook.

Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Now have you received a VIN for your truck? If so would you please post it. I would like to see the Window Sticker and other information.

Thanks and enjoy.

Just got my VIN - 1FMHK7F86BGA17457 but I can't see the Widow Sticker yet for some reason.

They changed the backend, so you can no longer print window stickers. What dealer did you order through?

Someone sent a PM with this information about my VIN. Does anyone know how to even view the Window Sticker?

1FMHK7F86BGA17457

Mullinax Ford - Lake Park, Florida

Production Week: Jan-17-2011

Drivetrain: 2 Whl L/h Front Drive

Series: Ford Series

Engine: 3.5l V6 Cyclone Tivct

Transmission: 6 Spd Auto Trans 6f55

Cab: 4 Door Wagon

Exterior Color: White Platinum Tri-coat

This is the message I keep getting when I use that link with my VIN:

The VIN entered was not found in our system. VIN requested is 1FMHK7F86BGA17457.

What do you think is my problem?

Gary, I don't think it is you. I don't think they have put them there yet. I checked my VIN and was able to see it without a problem. So the question becomes when will it be available.

looking forward to seeing your new ride.

Gary, I don't think it is you. I don't think they have put them there yet. I checked my VIN and was able to see it without a problem. So the question becomes when will it be available.

looking forward to seeing your new ride.

I agree, it's just not in the system yet.

Today I called my Salesman to tell him I already got the VIN. He told me he checked last week and there was still no VIN. Then he tried to tell me it was scheduled to be delivered January 26th. Then I told him it was only scheduled to be built January 20th and it would take a lot longer than 6 days to be delivered to Florida.

At any rate, he said they have two on the lot so my wife and I went to see it. It was a gray Limited 302A package FWD with the polished rims. I liked everything but the rims because I think it made the look to busy for me. I haven't been able to get my wife excited about getting the new Explorer but she was all over it today. Everyone I saw looking at cars on the lot was looking over the 2011 Explorer and were excited.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and to Ford, and had a few questions about my order. I placed an order for a Limited , Triple white Explorer with the 301A package, dual-panel moonroof, trailering package, chrome wheels and ebony interior approximately one week ago. What is the time to build once a dealer allocation time arrives? My dealer mentioned their allocation came 'up' and my order would be placed instead of receiving an allocation? What does this mean from a time perspective? What is the average time to build an ordered Explorer currently? The stories I have read thus far are leading me to believe an 8 to 10 week window may not be sufficient to receive my vehicle.

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and to Ford, and had a few questions about my order. I placed an order for a Limited , Triple white Explorer with the 301A package, dual-panel moonroof, trailering package, chrome wheels and ebony interior approximately one week ago. What is the time to build once a dealer allocation time arrives? My dealer mentioned their allocation came 'up' and my order would be placed instead of receiving an allocation? What does this mean from a time perspective? What is the average time to build an ordered Explorer currently? The stories I have read thus far are leading me to believe an 8 to 10 week window may not be sufficient to receive my vehicle.

It could be. I'm following an order that was scheduled on Jan 6 for production on Jan 31st. It has an ETA of mid Feb, I'd guess late Feb is more accurate. 8 weeks could be accurate once it gets scheduled. The delay is in the unscheduled time and potentially the delivery time (weather and such out of Chicago).