Ladies and Gents, the Boss 302 is Back!

ausrutherford

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/13/ford-mustang-boss-302-is-back-for-2012/#continued

The car that Mustang fans have been hoping Ford would build for a very, very long time is finally here: the 2012 Boss 302. Dave Pericak, the Mustang chief engineer says it all.

"Boss is a hallowed word around here, and we couldn't put that name on a new Mustang until we were sure everything was in place to make this car a worthy successor. We were either going to do it right or not do it at all - no one on the team was going to let Boss become a sticker and wheel package."

Amen, Dave. A true Boss 302 is raw, hardcore and race-inspired, and Ford delivered the goods. The latest special edition Mustang comes with plenty of items that will excite road racing fans - an upgraded clutch, short-throw shifter, adjustable suspension, improved brakes and a more potent version of the 5.0-liter V8 that produces 440 horsepower and 380 lb-ft torque thanks to a new intake and more aggressive camshafts. Ford claims the Boss 302 will be able to break 1.0g and lap a typical road course two seconds faster than the standard Mustang GT. Ford engineers even reportedly benchmarked the BMW M3 when developing the Boss 302, aiming to beat the famous Bavarian coupe around Laguna Seca, which they claim to have achieved.

The exterior is inspired by the original 1969 model with either a black or white roof panel, C-stripe, closed fog lamp openings and a more aggressive front splitter and rear spoiler. Available colors are more eye-catching than the standard choices and include Competition Orange, Performance White, Kona Blue Metallic, Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Metallic and Race Red.

2010 Boss 302 owners will enjoy a more aural experience from the cockpit thanks to eleven pounds of sound-deadening material removed from the car. The interior also gets a dark metallic finish for the instrument panel, gauge cluster and door panel trim, Alcantara-covered steering wheel and an optional package with Recaro high performance seats.

Finally, Ford is also planning to release a limited number of Boss 302 Laguna Seca models that offer more body stiffness, a stronger chassis and an aero package lifted straight from the Ford Racing Boss 302R.

We're attending the 2010 Boss 302's live unveiling at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca and will have the first live pictures of the car straight from the famous corkscrew for you soon.

NOTE: Gallery of official photos coming very soon!

Edited by ausrutherford

Exhaust looks heavy.

HATE the red accents, but the rest of the paint schemes shown are sexy.

Those are really the only negatives (if you can really call them that) that I have about the car. The engine is sexy, the car (in the proper colors) is dead sexy and I would love to have one.

Exhaust looks heavy.

HATE the red accents, but the rest of the paint schemes shown are sexy.

Those are really the only negatives (if you can really call them that) that I have about the car. The engine is sexy, the car (in the proper colors) is dead sexy and I would love to have one.

If the rumor of a $33K price tag is true, they'll sell every one of them. Nevermind, they'll sell every one of them anyways. :shades:

They better step up the game for the Shelby, figure out how to get the power to the ground better.

just OPINION, you know how those are:

that blue one gets me...If I would have painted my roof/shaker white yesterday, I woulda been cussed out by mustang fans everywhere...ford puts it on and its just hunky-dory to a lot of folks? were we THAT desperate for the return of the boss that it looks 'good' in that picture? the silver one with red roof/wheels/wing is even more of a head scratcher to me...to those who like the new look, my apologies, but I predict it will get old in a hurry...the original bosses were pretty classy/understated, these are anything but.

I dont prefer orange cars, but gotta say the orange one is the ONLY one that looks good in the twotone scheme.

In 69 ford deleted the quarter scoops on the boss302, was REALLY hoping they would delete the hockeystick on the 12(c stripe fits better if following/not crossing body lines) and while they were at it, put SE bumper lights on it...if a more traditional mustang rearend was available, ford could make a killing on parts...look how many gt500 frontends they sold for 05-09s- and they looked pretty decent originally...

just OPINION, you know how those are:

that blue one gets me...If I would have painted my roof/shaker white yesterday, I woulda been cussed out by mustang fans everywhere...ford puts it on and its just hunky-dory to a lot of folks? were we THAT desperate for the return of the boss that it looks 'good' in that picture? the silver one with red roof/wheels/wing is even more of a head scratcher to me...to those who like the new look, my apologies, but I predict it will get old in a hurry...the original bosses were pretty classy/understated, these are anything but.

I dont prefer orange cars, but gotta say the orange one is the ONLY one that looks good in the twotone scheme.

In 69 ford deleted the quarter scoops on the boss302, was REALLY hoping they would delete the hockeystick on the 12(c stripe fits better if following/not crossing body lines) and while they were at it, put SE bumper lights on it...if a more traditional mustang rearend was available, ford could make a killing on parts...look how many gt500 frontends they sold for 05-09s- and they looked pretty decent originally...

There 'ya go hatin' on the rear end again!!! Lol!!!

There 'ya go hatin' on the rear end again!!! Lol!!!

I'm trying...but seriously concerned maybe the taillamp designer got promoted to color selection or something...if I woulda painted my roof white yesterday, or someone with a alloy woulda painted their grille/roof/wing red, we'd have been drawn and quartered...now because its a BOSS302 its not supposed to be considered goofy? a couple folks on a mustang facebook page called the red trimmed boss302 'ricer looking'...what a let down

again, just opinions:

car= A+ (I'll even give the rear a free pass tonight)

color choices= F (actually the orange looks ok...would still be better without the black roof)

I'm trying...but seriously concerned maybe the taillamp designer got promoted to color selection or something...if I woulda painted my roof white yesterday, or someone with a alloy woulda painted their grille/roof/wing red, we'd have been drawn and quartered...now because its a BOSS302 its not supposed to be considered goofy? a couple folks on a mustang facebook page called the red trimmed boss302 'ricer looking'...what a let down

again, just opinions:

car= A+ (I'll even give the rear a free pass tonight)

color choices= F (actually the orange looks ok...would still be better without the black roof)

Well, IMO a "ricer" is a ctreet car that has completely over the top "aero" and racing parts slapped on to look like a track car.

The Laguna Seca is a track car.

It mostly was for sound tuning and back pressure reduction, according to Ford.

Wish it were so. Read yesterday in the Ford material that there was insignificant improvement. The reason they left it on was to milk something for the aftermarket (is the Stang a $Bil a year yet?). To me, SVT fan as I am, this is damn cynical to take a name that was literally built by taking a seriously deep breathing small block race engine and trying to build enough to go racing with.

My take, Ford achieved more before they gave SVT to $helby. To me, this car is a step back from the effort SVT could have, and should have. I fear that this is closer to a sticker job than it ought.

I also mea culpa that SVT being killed P.O.d many of the people who might consider shelling out for a Boss. But they won't cover the streets the way the SVT Cobra's did, and they sure won't rule them like the Termi's did.

Sorry Ford, I have blue blood in my veins, but this, ^ , is not my idea of a Boss, let alone THE BOSS.

(And I really, really, really wish that taking weight out would be partially returned in that missing control blade rear as the Aussies have...THAT in this I would pay for, with cash!)

To me, SVT fan as I am, this is damn cynical to take a name that was literally built by taking a seriously deep breathing small block race engine and trying to build enough to go racing with.

My take, Ford achieved more before they gave SVT to $helby. To me, this car is a step back from the effort SVT could have, and should have. I fear that this is closer to a sticker job than it ought.

I also mea culpa that SVT being killed P.O.d many of the people who might consider shelling out for a Boss. But they won't cover the streets the way the SVT Cobra's did, and they sure won't rule them like the Termi's did.

Sorry Ford, I have blue blood in my veins, but this, ^ , is not my idea of a Boss, let alone THE BOSS.

Perhaps this will clear things up for you a bit:

Because there are so many changes/upgrades to this car I thought I'd put together a summary for your viewing pleasure. I think I have captured everything from the releases but I'll update if there is anything else.

2012 Boss Mustang Upgrades

Powertrain

Boss 302R Intake

Forged Pistons

Forged Con-Rods

Race-Spec Main and Rod Bearings

Sodium Filled Exhaust Valves

Hi-Lift Cams

7500 RPM Limit

CNC'd Heads

Oil Cooler

Larger Radiator

Revised Radiator Plumbing

Revised Oil Pan Baffling

Race Inspired Clutch

3.73 Axle Ratio

Limited Slip Diff with carbon fiber plates (Torsen Limited Slip Available)

Quad Exhaust

Suspension

Higher Rate Springs (lowered 11MM front – 1MM rear)

Adjustable Struts/Shocks

Tuned Electronic Steering with 3 Settings

Unique traction control system settings

Unique electronic stability control settings

Body

Black or White Roof Panel and Coordinated C-Stripe

Unique Front Facia with Blocked off Fog Lamps and Splitter

Small Rear Spoiler

Interior

Alcantara Steering Wheel

Unique Shift Knob

Unique Cloth Seats (Recaros available)

Dark Metallic Instrument Panel Finish

Unique Guages

Unique Door Sill

11 Pounds of Sound Deadening Removed

Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Brembo 14 inch vented discs front

Boss specific rear compounds pads rear

Vented Brake Shields

Unique ABS tuning

Reinforced Brake Lines

Lightweight 19X9 and 19X9.5 Wheels

Pirelli P-Zero Tires 255/40/ZR19 Front 285/35/ZR19 Rear

Laguna Seca Package

Available in Black or Silver with Red Accents

Recaro Seats and Torsen Diff Standard

Rear Seat Delete

Rear Body Stiffening X-Brace

Softer Front and Firmer Rear Springs

Stiffer Damper Settings

Larger Rear Anti-Roll Bar

Unique 19x9 Front and 19x10 Rear wheels

Pirelli Corsa Tires 255/40/ZR19 Front and 285/35/ZR19 Rear

Larger Front Splitter

Pedestal Rear Spoiler

Brake Ducts

Auxiliary Gauge Package with Oil/Water Temp and Lap Timer

Unique Laguna Seca Fake Gas tank thing (lol, forgot what they call it)

STILL think this is too close to a sticker package?????

Edited by PTRocks

STILL think this is too close to a sticker package?????

Remembering the first time I cracked the owners supplement in my 97 Cobra, and looking back on that original bulletproof Teksid dancing machine; the one that never had to be overt;

Yes.

Performance, Substance, Value and Exclusivity.

I don't see this car as the moral or physical embodiment of that. It seems overwrought, and the mere fact that it comes in two flavours is mighty cynical after what SVT originally tried to do.

bulletproof Teksid dancing machine

While the block and crank were certainly nice, the rods and pistons Ford used in those engines were anything but bulletproof. This new Boss 302 has at least as much done in upgrades as our Cobras did. If not for some of the questionable color combinations, I'd say it was better in every way.

and the mere fact that it comes in two flavours is mighty cynical after what SVT originally tried to do.

Are we forgetting that the very first year SVT existed there were two flavors of Cobra sold?

Edited by NickF1011