2011 Ford Explorer

I was there when a large dude was trying the Explorer on for size and complaining that the seats were too narrow. Some other guy agreed with him and said that all the cars now have huge center-consoles that get in the way. Of course, I hop in and I fit perfectly since I'm...you know....not fat! ;) The female rep and I joked about that.

I did talk to you briefly when I sat in the Edge, I think I mentioned I had already test-driven one and was planning on getting the Lincoln MKX and that I really liked the interior color (I think I asked you what it was but you didn't know). i was the tall guy with the white fitted Michigan cap taking a ton-o-pictures with my big Nikon camera...if you can even remotely remember that. I don't think there were many people taking photos of buttons so I attracted some attention from those who thought I was spying for the enemy ;).

The Explorer isn't a great design, it could have been better (especially the lift-gate), but I definitely like the sculpted sheet metal over the Edge's fairly bland body.

I do not think it is just about being fat. I am 6ft3 and am by no means heavy, but I have noticed that the leg room is a bit snug in D3 vehicles. I fit, but it just feels cramped. Sometimes it is perception. We don't need 8ft and 9ft high ceilings, but it sure feels nicer to have them.

• Like 2

Have you considered an Escape? At first glance from the side, I thought the new Explorer looked like a bigger Escape. I still do. The Escape is surprizingly roomy and the drivetrains are modern and efficient offering an I4, a V6, and a hybrid all in FWD or AWD, not to mention the choice of manual and automatic transmissions. The Edge might be an option but I prefer the traditional truck lines of the Escape. My wife has been driving a Mariner for almost two years and loves it.

My wife currently drives an Edge and is happy with it, but neither of us really like the 2011 refresh.

I currently drive a 2010 Explorer and I really enjoy it. I was at my dealership to get my truck service and the new car sales manager has offered me to take a 2011 Explorer, when it arrives, out for a test drive for a day. i plan on taking him up on the offer and compare the 2010 to the 2011.

It will be real interesting and I'm looking forward to it.

I was there when a large dude was trying the Explorer on for size and complaining that the seats were too narrow. Some other guy agreed with him and said that all the cars now have huge center-consoles that get in the way. Of course, I hop in and I fit perfectly since I'm...you know....not fat! ;) The female rep and I joked about that.

The Explorer is very narrow in the front seat in comparison to most other vehicles. I don't see how you fit well being tall.

I do not think it is just about being fat. I am 6ft3 and am by no means heavy, but I have noticed that the leg room is a bit snug in D3 vehicles. I fit, but it just feels cramped.

Trust me it is...my dad said the same thing about the Sable they have and he's 5'10. i find the footwells on the D3 cars to be on the small side too..the drivers side seems ok, but the passenger side is tight at the very bottom, I feel like I have no room for my feet. Driving their Sable feels a bit tight also with the legroom width and I'm 6'2

I sat in a 2010 Taurus and its even a bit more snug...but not bad...didn't bug me

• Like 1

I do not think it is just about being fat. I am 6ft3 and am by no means heavy, but I have noticed that the leg room is a bit snug in D3 vehicles. I fit, but it just feels cramped. Sometimes it is perception. We don't need 8ft and 9ft high ceilings, but it sure feels nicer to have them.

suggestion.....Flex. You would even be comfortable in the 2nd row

Do what my folks did.

Buy a Club Wagon.

Buy soon, while they are still available !

I would seriously consider buying a new Club Wagon to replace my 13 year old one, if the new 5.0L and a 6 speed transmission were available !

BTW, the silence on the US Transit has been deafening ! I can't find anyone who knows when it will show up, what sizes, or what powertrains will be offered.

Does anyone know when the new Transit will be available in EU ?

I wish I was on drugs. I would be thinner, and maybe the peoples opinions on family vehicles, that don't have a family, might make some sense.

LOL...funny, I love the Fiesta...but would i make a cross country trip with four and their luggage...that borders an You Tube Material...lol

Suggestion: DIY retrofit. You're retired. Presumably, you have time on your hands.

sidenote..I REALLY think ford missed the boat in NOT making a 4x4 ( ala Quigley ) Clubwagon...from a function standpoint Clubwagons belittle anything halfway comparable in fords lineup...we have a Quigley with a diesel here right now owned by Nike....AWESOME!

Must agree.

My father-in-law has a 2010 Taurus, and while we like practically everything about the car, there are two items that really bug us.

1) The leg room in the front seats feel cramped and there isn't a position I've found to be comfortable for a long trip. The seats are fine, it's all in the legroom. I'm only 6' tall too. He's not as bothered by it being 5'9", but it is still noticeable by him.

2) The floorboard, right in front of both the front seats. Not sure why it's there or what it's for, but the floorboard raises up an inch or so right in front of the front seats. Both my father-in-law and I like to rest our foot in that area in other vehicles. But with the Taurus, this hump or bump, whatever it is, doesn't allow us to do so as it too provides an uncomfortable position.

My father-in-law also dislikes the fact he has no sunglasses compartment and must throw them in the center console. This doesn't bother me, since I wear glasses that change depending on the light, so I have no need for sunglasses.

I actually have a Taurus X (really my wife's car). I find the second row to be MORE comfortable than the front row, which is rather strange.

My brother owns a Freestyle, and I too find the 2nd row is more comfortable than the 1st row.

Edited by V8-X