Buick Verano to begin production in 2011

PREMiERdrum

Detroit News

General Motors Co. will announce Thursday it will begin building the Buick Verano, a new compact car, at its Orion Township assembly plant next year, according to a person briefed on the matter.

The vehicle goes on sale in 2012 and is a luxury Buick version of the Chevrolet Cruze being built at Lordstown Assembly in Ohio.

Once running again, Orion Assembly is expected to employ workers on two shifts, building about 160,000 vehicles a year.

Buick, a brand long popular with older buyers, has been working hard to court younger, more affluent customers with refreshed versions of the Regal and LaCrosse sedan.

As of last month, Buick sales were up 58 percent for the year and 96 percent compared to last month, the automaker reported.

Interesting that Buick / GMC will essentially be a full line pretty soon:

Subcompact: Granite

Compact: Verano

Midsized Sedan: Regal

Large Sedan: LaCrosse

Small Crossover: Terrain and Encore

Large Crossover: Acadia and Enclave

Pickups: Sierra series

Fullsized SUV: Yukon

I'd bet that Ford will be much closer to Buick / GMC in pricing and market placement than Chevrolet.

Why wouldn't they just build the Buick version at Lordstown?

Because they need to have all that Cruze capacity to make customers rental fleets happy. :shades:

Actually, I think they're putting it at Orion because of the new wage agreement with the UAW. Orion will also be building the Gamma II Aveo and Granite.

Actually, I think they're putting it at Orion because of the new wage agreement with the UAW. Orion will also be building the Gamma II Aveo and Granite.

Yep, and some of the Ford employees think the UAW should strike because they're OFFERING a lower priced job to 40% of the workforce with less seniority (< 11 yrs). The plant has been closed for a year already and without this arrangement it would stay closed and EVERYBODY is out of a job period. This way 60% keep their pay and 40% have a choice to work for less or transfer to another plant. Sure seems like a WIN-WIN to me.

Yep, and some of the Ford employees think the UAW should strike because they're OFFERING a lower priced job to 40% of the workforce with less seniority (< 11 yrs). The plant has been closed for a year already and without this arrangement it would stay closed and EVERYBODY is out of a job period. This way 60% keep their pay and 40% have a choice to work for less or transfer to another plant. Sure seems like a WIN-WIN to me.

Win win is exactly right.

Why would a Ford employee strike because of what is going on at a GM plant?

Who said anything about Ford employees striking? I said UAW and last time I checked GM employed UAW workers. Better yet - go ask the whining Ford employees why they care what happens at a GM plant.

Who said anything about Ford employees striking? I said UAW and last time I checked GM employed UAW workers. Better yet - go ask the whining Ford employees why they care what happens at a GM plant.

Well, to be fair you said: "Yep, and some of the Ford employees think the UAW should strike", so I have to admit, I thought "But why would a Ford employee want the UAW GM workers to strike at a GM plant?" I suppose to prevent a precedent from being set? But still, that comment caught me off guard.

Well, to be fair you said: "Yep, and some of the Ford employees think the UAW should strike", so I have to admit, I thought "But why would a Ford employee want the UAW GM workers to strike at a GM plant?" I suppose to prevent a precedent from being set? But still, that comment caught me off guard.

Yes, allowing it uncontested would set a bad precedent according to some UAW members and that could affect Ford down the road. To be fair a lot of other UAW members are saying it's the right move and that most of the 40% that would have seen a paycut are either retiring or going somewhere else anyway so it's a good thing.

Yes, allowing it uncontested would set a bad precedent according to some UAW members and that could affect Ford down the road. To be fair a lot of other UAW members are saying it's the right move and that most of the 40% that would have seen a paycut are either retiring or going somewhere else anyway so it's a good thing.

With the average working wage in America being $19.10/hour, it does seem unbelievable that present UAW workers with some seniority would be asked to work for less than that average. The UAW may have some trouble justifying its existence if the best they can do is establish working wages 20% below the average. And I do understand the need for GM to make money on a B and C segment vehicle when building it state side. But I'm not sure $14/hour is a fair working wage for working in auto plant. Maybe as new hire and unproven, but not as experienced, valuable auto worker.

With the average working wage in America being $19.10/hour, it does seem unbelievable that present UAW workers with some seniority would be asked to work for less than that average. The UAW may have some trouble justifying its existence if the best they can do is establish working wages 20% below the average. And I do understand the need for GM to make money on a B and C segment vehicle when building it state side. But I'm not sure $14/hour is a fair working wage for working in auto plant. Maybe as new hire and unproven, but not as experienced, valuable auto worker.

It's really simple. The plant was shut down and everyone was out of a job - period. A new opportunity presented itself and the only way this could work is for 40% of the workers to work for $14/hour. Every worker has a choice whether they want to work for $14 or not. If they don't then they can go elsewhere.

The only choices are

1 - 60% of workers at current pay, 40% at $14/hour

2 - 100% of workers unemployed.

The UAW should be applauded for keeping those jobs and keeping current wages for 60% of the employees.

The difference being that the Ford Focus already has huge scales of economy built in world wide,

GM's cruze may be popular in Asia but it's sales are low in Europe where Focus is really strong.

That gives Ford a significant edge with cost structure for MTP, something GM can only dream about.

I doubt that Ford has ever asked 40% of existing long term employees at any plants to take a pay cut

and probably never will.

Edited by jpd80

Funny that we don't see any headlines on 40% of the salaried workers taking half pay.

That's because they are rarely so fortunate. One of my neighbors, who was formerly an engineer (salaried) for Delphi in Kokomo, Indiana, moved to Indianapolis following Delphi's near implosion and built from scratch a career as a consultant in the pharmaceutical industry. Though he is now successful in his new position, accumulating the working capital required to attain that required some major sacrifices by both his own and his family's part. I do hope the thousands of salaried workers and retirees from General Motors, Ford, Chrysler, Delphi, Visteon, etc. that got shafted in recent years were able to parlay their talents and skills to other industries, like my neighbor did.