Grand C-Max First Drive

Have you ever driven a Mazda5? We have one here at work that I drive from time to time to make sales calls. The sliders on a Mazda5 are tiny compared to the one's found on an Odyssey, Sienna, Caravan, etc. If they were powered, it would just be silly. They are so light that my 3 year old can open and close them with no trouble. I really see it being a non-issue. Maybe they can do it later on as a MCE.

Most trunk lids aren't heavy either, but that doesn't stop brands like BMW from offering power assistance on them. :shrug:

Have you ever driven a Mazda5? We have one here at work that I drive from time to time to make sales calls. The sliders on a Mazda5 are tiny compared to the one's found on an Odyssey, Sienna, Caravan, etc. If they were powered, it would just be silly. They are so light that my 3 year old can open and close them with no trouble. I really see it being a non-issue. Maybe they can do it later on as a MCE.

It's not a question of weight, it's a question of convenience.

And I would *not* point to the Mazda5 as an example of how to do things (cf loud, unrefined premium sipping and non-fuel efficient engine).

People will use the lack of power sliders as an excuse to buy something else. The US isn't Europe. Anyone who thinks that what's good for EU is good for the US needs to take a long hard look at VW.

If you say so. Personally, I doubt the C-Max is going to make much of a splash regardless of the door setup.

It will probably outsell the Mazda5, but that's not saying much

In regards to power sliders, if Ford were to come out with a proper minivan or even add sliders to the Flex, a power option would be a must. C-Max, Mazda5 or any other C-size 3 row crossover with sliders, a power slider option would be a waste as most people wouldn't pay for it.

People are defending the lack of power sliders?

Power sliders have been a mandatory option in the minivan segment for ten flippin' years. The Windstar had them.

You might as well suggest that "eh, the Fusion doesn't need power windows. Can't people roll them down themselves. How heavy can the windows be?" Or "Who needs remote entry. It's not like you're not going to be at the car eventually. What good does it do to unlock the car when you're still a hundred feet away from it?"

Mark my words: no power sliders = failure. Every rag, EVERY RAG will mention it in the lead, or at least the opening paragraph. Especially if the thing is equipped with power everything else, leather, and a >$30k price tag.

let the wussification continue...opening a small sliding door is no harder than opening the drivers door....and this vehicle STARTS undr 20k...perhaps the power doors will be avail on the "titanium' models....if at all, personally pulling a door handle int a big deal to me, but then agin I work out....ahem.....

And I would *not* point to the Mazda5 as an example of how to do things (cf loud, unrefined premium sipping and non-fuel efficient engine).

People will use the lack of power sliders as an excuse to buy something else. The US isn't Europe. Anyone who thinks that what's good for EU is good for the US needs to take a long hard look at VW.

Rich...loud, unrefined non fuel efficient etc has nothing to do with ones seeming dis-ability requiring doors to be opened for them....bonus is with power sliders can one opark in handicapped parking?......after all, if one cant open a damn door they MUST be dis-abled.....

ZOMG!! Dean.

We don't need cars, if you come right down to it. We don't need cars, electricity, indoor plumbing, or any of a hundred thousand other things that clutter our lives.

This business of arbitrarily drawing a line and saying, "Oh this, this we don't need. Pass me the microwave popcorn"----it's just wrong.

Good grief. If people want it and it won't kill them or destroy society, give it to them at a profit!!!!!

Edited by RichardJensen

what exactly will the c-max compete with?....

Again, do any of you have personal experience with a Mazda5? I have put a lot miles on one running all over Texas & Oklahoma. It's relatively quiet, kind of peppy and handles great. We fill it with 87 octane and usually get around 25 mpg average with mixed city & highway. If the C-Max is nicer, that's even better.

ZOMG!! Dean.

We don't need cars, if you come right down to it. We don't need cars, electricity, indoor plumbing, or any of a hundred thousand other things that clutter our lives.

This business of arbitrarily drawing a line and saying, "Oh this, this we don't need. Pass me the microwave popcorn"----it's just wrong.

Good grief. If people want it and it won't kill them or destroy society, give it to them at a profit!!!!!

I dont deem using my motorskills any different with sliders than i do with the rear doors on a sedan...ESPECIALLY on a vehicle of this size...i am sure they will be avail on the Top of the line models, but I question ( obviously ) their necessity......especially for the $ they will ultimately add to MSRP's....and I swear, I read one more comment about the ever increasing Monroneys I''ll scream..."well youre the one that wanted massaging seats......" Power slding doors on a COMPACT pfffffffffffT I say, grow some damn attachments. On a bigger vehicle yes...in this instance i question the logic/ necessity.......

The stuff people are buying instead of it right now.

Sure they won't get power sliders on their Chevy Traverse, but they won't expect them either.

ok, so right there advantage C-max correct?...oh damn theyre manual, Im buying a Traverse....sliders are gimmicky anyways and the Traverse has electric rear doors no?.....does any of the Cmaxs competitors offer sliders.....?

Again, do any of you have personal experience with a Mazda5? I have put a lot miles on one running all over Texas & Oklahoma. It's relatively quiet, kind of peppy and handles great. We fill it with 87 octane and usually get around 25 mpg average with mixed city & highway. If the C-Max is nicer, that's even better.

'relatively quiet' says it all on the NVH front, and the fuel economy that is barely better (highway) than other larger and more commodious vehicles........

i am sure they will be avail on the Top of the line models

That's fine. I don't care about the rest of your personal opinions on luxury items as they are irrelevant. YOU are not representative of the buying public at large, minivan buyers in particular, or this vehicle in specific.

ok, so right there advantage C-max correct?...oh damn theyre manual, Im buying a Traverse....sliders are gimmicky anyways and the Traverse has electric rear doors no?.....does any of the Cmaxs competitors offer sliders.....?

No. NOT advantage C-Max. People EXPECT power sliding doors on a $30k minivan. They do not expect power rear doors on a $30k Traverse. If you do not give them what they expect they will go elsewhere--perhaps buying a year old Honda Odyssey WITH power sliding doors.

'relatively quiet' says it all on the NVH front, and the fuel economy that is barely better (highway) than other larger and more commodious vehicles........

That's fine. I don't care about the rest of your personal opinions on luxury items as they are irrelevant. YOU are not representative of the buying public at large, minivan buyers in particular, or this vehicle in specific.

No. NOT advantage C-Max. People EXPECT power sliding doors on a $30k minivan. They do not expect power rear doors on a $30k Traverse. If you do not give them what they expect they will go elsewhere--perhaps buying a year old Honda Odyssey WITH power sliding doors.

never gave myself the title, never will, Im questioning the worth of an item I deem un-necessary ( barring top of the line models ) of a vehicle of this size...how bloody hard is it to slide a small door????? seriously????? and my guess is the option would be approx $12-1400....I wouldnt spend the money, but then i DO have arms, Fact is Richard people are being more careful opening their wallets due to ever esculating MSRPs...MSRP's which are a reflection of option saturation...you want it, great...spend 30k then pi$$ and moan about costs. Theres a happy medium with content vs cost....and I repeat...how damn hard is it to pull a door handle and slide? Gimmicky to me. As for the advantage/ NOT advantage..is the Traverse a competitor or not ? the C-max is a minivan correct...? Do they compete or not, if not what does? ...if they do then YES advantage C-max due to the sliders....as for the used Odyssey???? thats like comparing an Excursion with the Odyssey.....but then again theres those sliders that apparently arent an advantage...ok then Clubwagon....15 passenger....2 different size classes, just like the Honda and the C-max....

irrespective of our thoughts on the merits or worth of power sliders, I really like this vehicle....and I am excited given the fact that Pioneer drove one with an eco boost engine and a 6 speed MANUAL....doubt that combo will command a huge % of the sales but i sure do hope it IS avail in that configuration.....

Richard relax, Don't get all riled up.

the C-max will win buyer because of the total package it offers customers. AS you have said it is not really practical for the american minivan buyer. because it is not made for the typical minivan buyer.

power sliders will not decide the fate of this vehicle.

Which is why the Fiesta ATP is higher than the Corolla and Civic, right?

And would you *please* stop with the enfeeblement crap. YOU drive a car to work instead of walking, so by my way of measuring it, you're a wuss.

heh heh heh...actually 99% of the time i ride a bike, rain hail or snow....60 miles a day...was a little hairy yesterday actually...sometimes i question my common sense...just like you do...lol... and as for the Fiesta....its also a newer more spendy car to begin with....right now the Civic and Corolla are old news....those ATPs will no doubt adjust when they release THEIR new models....agree? Flavor of the month directly effects ATP's.......

the C-max will win buyer because of the total package it offers customers. AS you have said it is not really practical for the american minivan buyer. because it is not made for the typical minivan buyer.

Bingo...thats it in a nutshell....apologies if I lit a fire under you Richard...but i dont think they are a deal killer in the slightest.....

Now this I like. With the exception of the awkward rear (which has much to do with cargo capacity I'd assume) I really like this vehicle. I could see me buying this for my wife. We only have one kid and a minivan would be just too much overkill for us. This would be perfect.

personally i veiw it as a superior alternative to the defunct Focus Wagon...

Only problem is that the Car Mags will scream, no power sliding doors, what were they thinking, and it will cloud people's perception of the vehicle. Give the people what they want, and Ford will succeed. Telling them they are wusses and to open the door themselves, won't sell cars. I do not see what the big deal is.

Anyway I think the vehicle looks nice, looks very upscale.