It's In the Bank

fusion37

Ordered my 2012 Titanium Sedan today. All options except the red or black seat color. Who would have guessed you could spend $27,000 + on a Focus? While at the dealership, I played with My Ford Touch in an Edge. That's going to be a terrific option- if the software works as planned.

Ordered my 2012 Titanium Sedan today. All options except the red or black seat color. Who would have guessed you could spend $27,000 + on a Focus? While at the dealership, I played with My Ford Touch in an Edge. That's going to be a terrific option- if the software works as planned.

Damn, you got me by a day. I ordered the top end hatch with all the options on the 6th.

Wow! Congrats! What color did you go with? I've considered pre-ordering, but I don't want to pull the trigger without seeing the colors in person. I've decided I'm done leasing, and want to purchase this one and keep it around for a while, so I want to make sure I get the color I like best. Gotta post the pics when you pick it up next spring!

Wow! Congrats! What color did you go with? I've considered pre-ordering, but I don't want to pull the trigger without seeing the colors in person. I've decided I'm done leasing, and want to purchase this one and keep it around for a while, so I want to make sure I get the color I like best. Gotta post the pics when you pick it up next spring!

I went with Ingot Silver. Like you, I wanted to see that color on a car, so I found an Ingot Silver Mustang at the dealership. I think most of the Focus colors, except perhaps Blue Candy, is available on other Ford models. Not perfect, but you can get some idea of how the color looks in person.

If I had ordered the hatch, I probably would have gone with a brighter, sportier color. (I have a red SVT Euro.) Since the sedan is more conservative, the silver looked like a good fit.

OT: Order went in with parking technology package but there's some info pointing to "late availability." If so, the dealer will take that option off so it won't be delayed. Want that car now!

I went with Ingot Silver. Like you, I wanted to see that color on a car, so I found an Ingot Silver Mustang at the dealership. I think most of the Focus colors, except perhaps Blue Candy, is available on other Ford models. Not perfect, but you can get some idea of how the color looks in person.

If I had ordered the hatch, I probably would have gone with a brighter, sportier color. (I have a red SVT Euro.) Since the sedan is more conservative, the silver looked like a good fit.

OT: Order went in with parking technology package but there's some info pointing to "late availability." If so, the dealer will take that option off so it won't be delayed. Want that car now!

I'm leaning towards getting an ingot silver hatch w/sync for my daughter early next year. I like the Reds too but she doesn't. Nothing wrong with silver. It's classy and timeless.

Good choice. Honesty, the Ingot Silver is probably the nicest silver I've seen and is certainly near the top of the list. If they had the Monterrey Grey that the Fiesta has, I'd be sold. And I can understand your anxiousness at wanting to pick this thing up despite not getting the parking tech package. We've been waiting far to long for a Focus like this!

Do you have a link about the delay?

• 3 weeks later...

Check the bottom of the Packing Guide, posted on another topic on this forum, under SEL & Titanium options. Also saw a mention about "late availability" somewhere else.

I also pre ordered a Titanium Sedan with everything except the parking tech package and the "color trend" seats. It was confirmed with the Ford order assistance that the parking package was TBD availability, so I didn't want the hold up (longer than the usual holds this car will have).

Let me know if you hear anything on your order since yours was submitted with the package.

I also pre ordered a Titanium Sedan with everything except the parking tech package and the "color trend" seats. It was confirmed with the Ford order assistance that the parking package was TBD availability, so I didn't want the hold up (longer than the usual holds this car will have).

Let me know if you hear anything on your order since yours was submitted with the package.

Will do. The dealership manager where I ordered my car was going to check with Ford's regional office about the delayed availability of the parking package. However, I watched him put the order into the bank, and when he put in the specific code and later sent the order, there were no flags or alerts. He said normally there would be something come back if there was a problem with the order. But, I'll see if he found out additional information.

Will do. The dealership manager where I ordered my car was going to check with Ford's regional office about the delayed availability of the parking package. However, I watched him put the order into the bank, and when he put in the specific code and later sent the order, there were no flags or alerts. He said normally there would be something come back if there was a problem with the order. But, I'll see if he found out additional information.

Looks like you may be in the clear for the parking package in the Titanium trim. In the latest order guides (dated 12/1) it finally describes what the delay is for. Under the SEL trim, since MyFord Touch is not standard, if you order a SEL without MyFord Touch the parking package is late availability because of a upgraded monitor the rear view camera requires.

Finally some answers! However, I decided to not modify my original order and add it because it gave me time to decide to not spend $700 for a rear view camera. I would never use the other equipment contained in that package.

Let's cross our fingers that we get scheduled this week!

Looks like you may be in the clear for the parking package in the Titanium trim. In the latest order guides (dated 12/1) it finally describes what the delay is for. Under the SEL trim, since MyFord Touch is not standard, if you order a SEL without MyFord Touch the parking package is late availability because of a upgraded monitor the rear view camera requires.

Finally some answers! However, I decided to not modify my original order and add it because it gave me time to decide to not spend $700 for a rear view camera. I would never use the other equipment contained in that package.

Let's cross our fingers that we get scheduled this week!

That's good news. I did ask the manager at my dealership, who placed the order on my Titanium, and he said he checked with Ford Regional and "no holds" at this point. Let us know when your order is placed, so the rest of us can check with our dealerships!

To those that have ordered a 2012:

Did you pay MSRP or were you able to negotiate a better price?

Is it unreasonable to expect a dealer to go lower than MSRP for a car that is ordered?

I wouldn't expect much in the way of discounts or incentives early on. Because of the attention the Focus is getting, there will be usual early enthusiasm, "gotta have it first" environment that accompanies a lot new models.

My family & I have bought lots of cars from my dealer and pricing has always been very good. So, I haven't even talked price other than the MSRP. There is, of course, the $500 technology rebate if you order before February xx.

Later in the model year, the may be a good interest rate or rebates on the Focus, but the domestic manufacturers have tried to move away from those in the last year or so.

To those that have ordered a 2012:

Did you pay MSRP or were you able to negotiate a better price?

Is it unreasonable to expect a dealer to go lower than MSRP for a car that is ordered?

Generally speaking ordering would be the same if not cheaper because you're not taking inventory off the dealer's lot so they keep more units to sell off the lot.

The exception might be if they're in need of sales immediately then they might cut you a bigger discount on an in stock vehicle.

All dealer inventory gets ordered the same way with the same allocation whether they're presold or not (except for Retail Order Verification but I don't think that's in place for the Focus), so the only difference between ordering and taking one from inventory is whether they get the sale now or later.

I wouldn't expect much in the way of discounts or incentives early on. Because of the attention the Focus is getting, there will be usual early enthusiasm, "gotta have it first" environment that accompanies a lot new models.

My family & I have bought lots of cars from my dealer and pricing has always been very good. So, I haven't even talked price other than the MSRP. There is, of course, the $500 technology rebate if you order before February xx.

Later in the model year, the may be a good interest rate or rebates on the Focus, but the domestic manufacturers have tried to move away from those in the last year or so.

I understand what you are saying but...

For example, if it were a new "hot" car and a dealer was only getting a few of them, the dealer would (understandably) not want to sell one at below MSRP.

Since I would be ordering the car, I'm not sure why a dealer wouldn't be willing to knock $500 off the MSRP considering that there are many other Ford dealers in SoCal. A dealer would have a choice of making a decent profit or nothing at all (in case I go to another dealer).

One other thought:

Do dealers normally have allocations for "normal cars"? In other words, if I order a new Focus from a dealer, does that mean that it would translate to one less car that they could order for their lot (and potentially sell at MSRP)?

I understand what you are saying but...

For example, if it were a new "hot" car and a dealer was only getting a few of them, the dealer would (understandably) not want to sell one at below MSRP.

Since I would be ordering the car, I'm not sure why a dealer wouldn't be willing to knock $500 off the MSRP considering that there are many other Ford dealers in SoCal. A dealer would have a choice of making a decent profit or nothing at all (in case I go to another dealer).

One other thought:

Do dealers normally have allocations for "normal cars"? In other words, if I order a new Focus from a dealer, does that mean that it would translate to one less car that they could order for their lot (and potentially sell at MSRP)?

I believe that is the case on allocations. If there are 5 Mustang allocations, the dealer uses one of those for a special order. But I could be wrong. I think, too, that allocations for specific models are based on sales history of that model. For example, my dealer sells lots of trucks, fewer Mustangs. At one point, he was having trouble getting an allocation for a customer's special Mustang order. Don't know if dealers can trade or swap these like they do specific cars on another's lot.

Absolutely - allocation is allocation whether it's presold or not. So if they can sell every one they're allocated at MSRP then it wouldn't matter if you were ordering one.

The exception is called Retail Order Verification where presold orders do not count against the dealer's allocation. They did that with the 2010 Fusion hybrid IIRC and a few others but it's not common. I think it should be though. It sucks to order a vehicle and wait for it only to find out it hasn't been built yet because the dealer doesn't have allocation available.

If a dealer has plenty of allocation but not many on the lot they might give you a price break to order one. Just depends.

It sucks to order a vehicle and wait for it only to find out it hasn't been built yet because the dealer doesn't have allocation available.

This maybe a stupid question but here goes....why do dealers generally not inform a customer that this is the case, and lead the customer

along or tell the customer they have no idea why the vehicle is not showing up?

The dealer is aware if they have allocation or not yes?

This maybe a stupid question but here goes....why do dealers generally not inform a customer that this is the case, and lead the customer

along or tell the customer they have no idea why the vehicle is not showing up?

The dealer is aware if they have allocation or not yes?

Of course the dealer is aware. Or I should say the sales mgr is aware - whether they tell the salespeople or not I'm not sure.

But the reason is simple - if they told customers that then they'd probably lose that sale and possibly future sales (don't go to that dealer - they can't get any vehicles).

If they blame it on Ford then it makes them look better.