Focus upgrade -- moving up from 01 to 07

I wasn't planning to buy a car today. I frequently procrastinate by skimming Craigslist and I'd just bought new tires for my 01 Focus.

But an 07 Focus wagon (the last year they made them, and only through part of the year at that) with a stick (hard to find of any year) for $7k popped up on my screen. Clean Carfax, totally clean interior, one owner, Ford dealer (traded in there on an Escape, they said).

And that was that.

008htd.jpg

010wy.jpg

006ge.jpg

004rd.jpg

Biggest complaint: the aftermarket hubcaps, which were not on the car pictured in the ad. (I guess they sold them off in favor of the cheapos.) But they did promise in writing to give me a cargo cover and clean up a couple of scratches, even if they wouldn't give back the hupcaps.

But it's otherwise got the strengths and weaknesses I knew of going in. Even with its tons of space, there's great handling and a smooth ride, and everything feels as tight as it should (unlike my old 01, which loosened up considerably over the years). The interior is nothing fancy by 2007 standards, but it's fine for me and nothing is broken.

Here's to many fine years ahead.

Now I just need to sell the 01, which the dealer offered $700 for. (ZX3 Premium, 107k, lots of scratches / minor interior issues, but runs strong)

Congrats, Brady!!

2 questions

- do you have a dog?

Not anymore. Maybe again.

- do you think these 15" Fiesta wheels would fit?

PARTWHL_8801F25B-2B14-5363-090B-7B12090B7B12.jpg

I don't especially like those Fiesta wheels, but I imagine they would look better on a Focus. Besides, if I were to change mine, it would be back to something stock to that era of Focus, and I can't see that happening any time soon anyway.

Just priced the car out on AOL Autos, which seems to be one of the few sites that lets you do that for an older car.

The previous owner had chosen the $225 Convenience Group (tilt/telescoping wheel, cruise control) and the $350 Safety Package (ABS, side airbags) but not the $475 SE Sport Group (alloy wheels, fog lights, leather-wrapped wheel, tachometer). Total MSRP: $17,365.

I would have asked them too swap wheels with your trade (especially since you just put on new tires).

Sounds like he still has the old Focus too? Why not swap them yourself?

BTW - I've always been a fan of the wagon too, but the ZX3 still looks sweet.

Edited by sullynd

I just can't image the huge change from 07 model to upcoming 2011 model esp with the interior...they don't even look like they came from the same car! Amazing how much of a change has gone through in the past 4-5 years with cars.

Good luck with the new ride. Not a fan of station wagons, but I'd rather have a wagon instead of a minivan ;)

that's a sweet car! I have also perused craigslist for Focus wagons from time to time...

Me too. I thought it would be a good companion to the Miata, for ulility, yet still handle well. Lower it with some decent wheels/tires, tint rear windows........and it's a Sport Wagon.

I'm considering it. The downside is that I need to sell the ZX3, so it might benefit from having the larger wheels.

I'd bet the money you'd get for leaving the wheels on the ZX3 would pale compared to getting new wheels and tires for the wagon. I'd bet it wouldn't really impact the speed at which it sells either.

I just can't image the huge change from 07 model to upcoming 2011 model esp with the interior...they don't even look like they came from the same car! Amazing how much of a change has gone through in the past 4-5 years with cars.

Good luck with the new ride. Not a fan of station wagons, but I'd rather have a wagon instead of a minivan ;)

Unfortunately the 2010 Focus is not far removed from the 2000 Focus.

My mom is looking at cars. She likes the new Chevy Cruze, and I think it looks good too. I keep telling her to not even bother with the Focus unless she wants to wait for the 2011 to come out.

Unfortunately the 2010 Focus is not far removed from the 2000 Focus.

My mom is looking at cars. She likes the new Chevy Cruze, and I think it looks good too. I keep telling her to not even bother with the Focus unless she wants to wait for the 2011 to come out.

Not everyone wants a flashy car. The current-gen Focus is a perfectly pleasant car to drive, and certainly not a bad choice is you find a good deal. The new Focus will be a premium compact for someone who's willing to pay more to get more -- the Cruze is more like the current Focus in quiet competence.

Not everyone wants a flashy car. The current-gen Focus is a perfectly pleasant car to drive, and certainly not a bad choice is you find a good deal. The new Focus will be a premium compact for someone who's willing to pay more to get more -- the Cruze is more like the current Focus in quiet competence.

People hate on the 2008- current Focus quite a bit, and I don't get it. It has great features, a good interior, good performance, excellent fuel economy... I know many here aren't crazy about the styling, but it's still leaps and bounds nicer looking than a Cobalt... or Civic... or Corolla... or Sentra... or Elantra...

People hate on the 2008- current Focus quite a bit, and I don't get it. It has great features, a good interior, good performance, excellent fuel economy... I know many here aren't crazy about the styling, but it's still leaps and bounds nicer looking than a Cobalt... or Civic... or Corolla... or Sentra... or Elantra...

LOL

My girlfriend noticed the post 2008 Focus and actually liked the front end looks of the car. IMO thats worse part of the car (outside of the discounted coupe that had the trapezoidal lower opening on it that helped fix things on it), the rest of the car is decent though. I'm spilt on the interior though.

I think I'd take a 2006 Civic sedan over the the Focus though..when it comes to styling though.

The problem is that if you don't have a "hook" to a point, a perfectly decent product will be lost in the market place thats competitive as the compact car market is. Esp if your a domestic make that has a bad history in the compact market.

I really don't think the Focus is a premium compact...you can option it up that way, but it still competes with the Cruze and other cars in price and well better features. I don't think that high end Focus sales will make up a big portion of total Focus sales. The avg selling prices will go up a bit due to extra content..but it won't be a huge difference vs its competition

As far as i can tell it's only design snobs who dislike the current Focus. All the regular people I know who have commented on it (unprompted) say they really like it.

As far as i can tell it's only design snobs who dislike the current Focus. All the regular people I know who have commented on it (unprompted) say they really like it.

Having owned one since June, I completely agree. I get compliments quite a bit from people who :gasp: actually like the design, including the fender applique! :shades:

When I first bought the car, I had planned to order the smoked headlights / taillights / grille from the coupe and put them on. I got so many compliments about the chrome I quickly changed my mind.

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Having owned one since June, I completely agree. I get compliments quite a bit from people who :gasp: actually like the design, including the fender applique! :shades:

When I first bought the car, I had planned to order the smoked headlights / taillights / grille from the coupe and put them on. I got so many compliments about the chrome I quickly changed my mind.

A friend recently bought a '10 Focus (SE, Red met, Tan int., auto, Sync, Serius, PW, Alum. wheels, etc) stickered for $19K, got it for $13K.

He saw the front fender "vent" on another Focus and wanted to put it on his! I told him it would make his car look like an 08. He didn't like the SES smoked trim either. Prefers the chrome.

It's amazingly quiet IMHO (is it an SE thing? Seems quieter than any Focus I've driven), handles well, gets very good gas mileage, easy ingress/egress. He really likes it (esp. Sync) but isn't excited about it......he's had a RX7 convertible, Miata, Starion Turbo, cars he dreamed about when he was younger.

Few people dream of owning a Focus, it's not asperational. But it's a damned nice car, especially for the $$$ when discounts are given. Maybe the next Focus will be desired.

I did that with mine, but instead of installing a coupe grey grille, I bought an aftermarket one and painted it body color.

PRE_2010-10-18-173353-1.jpg

PRE_2010-10-19-091006.jpg

I also "de-baged" it. Looks a lot cleaner.

PRE_2010-10-11-173933.jpg