2012 VelociRaptor SUV

crs2572

Unfortunately, we'll see a lot more of these at the mall than out one the trails. Nobody in their right mind takes a $40,000+ new vehicle and trashes it off-roading. Now in 20 years when they're only worth a few grand, they'll be all the offroad rage.

I still think a purpose-built vehicle such as the Raptor needs to be closer in size to the Ranger though. The F-150 proportions are just too big for a lot of off-road situations.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

Unfortunately, we'll see a lot more of these at the mall than out one the trails. Nobody in their right mind takes a $40,000+ new vehicle and trashes it off-roading. Now in 20 years when they're only worth a few grand, they'll be all the offroad rage.

Eh, maybe. I haven't seen one on the streets yet at all.

I still think a purpose-built vehicle such as the Raptor needs to be closer in size to the Ranger though. The F-150 proportions are just too big for a lot of off-road situations.

It's not designed to be a rock crawler. Think of more offroad/underbrush type scenarios, like those which the Border Patrol will be using them for.

I don't know, Here are a couple hundred grand worth of Raptors taking a beating.

And one still with the wondow sticker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dNYIf7nh90&feature=related

There is an orange one in our parking lot, and I've seen two others driving around town.

It's a fantastic truck, and I can understand why Ford built it. But I just don't see why anyone would buy it.

Personally, I wish Ford brought back the Bronco instead (or as well).

• 2 weeks later...

I was proud to see a Raptor the other day on the freeway with an undercarriage totally caked in mud. It made my day. That guy gets it.

in 20 years more of a mud bog truck then serious trail rig..its just too long and too big....the bronco argument and wish lends me to believe it may just be possible to have ford again build just a rig..but a lot of economic issues against arise and lets face the reality wall..its a crowded field out there and jeep is as of today an insurmountable mountain..as indicated above cheap parts and a plethora of untold aftermarket suppliers are everywhere to help upgrade your jeep which all tend to diminish any future bronco...i would like to see ford build a trail rig specific bronco..but can argue against it based on this time is just not conducive for its production..basically a waste of money and resources that ford needs to place in improving other areas..like an in car GPS unit that cannot give you the shortest distance between points A and B....and for all you pimple faced nerds who are bitching about non compatability between all your techno gizzard crap and the ford my touch

like an in car GPS unit that cannot give you the shortest distance between points A and B....and for all you pimple faced nerds who are bitching about non compatability between all your techno gizzard crap and the ford my touch

:headscratch:

The GPS in my Edge can do that. As for the phones, it's mostly the phone manufacturers who are the problem, not Ford. The only thing that doesn't work on my Droid with MFT is audible text messaging, but that's because the first gen Droid doesn't support the text format that MFT uses. Several other newer Android phones work with it though. I'm sure I'll be getting a new phone long before I get a new car anyway.

Edited by NickF1011

:headscratch:

The GPS in my Edge can do that. As for the phones, it's mostly the phone manufacturers who are the problem, not Ford. The only thing that doesn't work on my Droid with MFT is audible text messaging, but that's because the first gen Droid doesn't support the text format that MFT uses. Several other newer Android phones work with it though. I'm sure I'll be getting a new phone long before I get a new car anyway.

the GPS problem is out there and the complaint it takes people thru neaighborhoods of ill repute..thats a laugher but i have heard that complaint...hell i use a map so i could really care less about any of fords techno crap problem.and somebody needs to tell me how in the sam hell a phone compatibilty problem is fords problem..its not in my book...but consider i have no idea what a blackberry is let alone how to text while drivingng so i am not in the loop...hell i still watch black and white television in my garage and yell at the kids when i want some help wrenching on the scout...consider now the damn kids are downstairs and will text upstairs telling mom they want to know whats for supper...has tecno stuff gone too far in vehicles..yes is my answer and to get back on topic any of todays vehicles like the raptor being used in 20 years bogging or trail riding may be a no go..who can fix such a rig with lay out the cash to fix the electronic garbage to just waste in a mud bog..very damn few if any i say...be smart..buy a scout which is simple and easily fixable.

the GPS problem is out there and the complaint it takes people thru neaighborhoods of ill repute..thats a laugher but i have heard that complaint...hell i use a map so i could really care less about any of fords techno crap problem.

You tell it to use the shortest distance, it'll use the shortest distance. Any GPS will do that. Paper maps don't have markings on them for "neighborhoods of ill repute" either. If you don't want to ride through seedy neighborhoods, your better bet is to stick to the GPS function that keeps you mostly on highways instead.

And if you don't care about Ford's techno crap and admit to never using any of it, why are you commenting on it?

This is clearly the wrong thread but since people have started talking about MFT and GPS:

Microsoft Streets has an "Avoid this area" function, though unlike Snooter's complaint it is geared more towards avoiding traffic problems. A roommate has commented that he has had a difficult time finding a GPS device that replicates this feature.

Does MFT's routing give you such an option? Does it take average-time-of-day traffic, or even current traffic, into account when routing?

I can see now that I will soon be ordering a 2011 Escape. I much prefer the "truck" styling over this CUV that looks like every other CUV on the road today. Even after all these years the Escape sells well because it looks good. It is probably the cutest little truck on the road today. Now if they replaced the Escape with something that looked like a 2/3rds scale of the new Explorer then I would be all over it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's not designed to be a rock crawler. Think of more offroad/underbrush type scenarios, like those which the Border Patrol will be using them for.

Exactly. Thats why it was designed the Raptor after BAJA trucks and not rock crawlers!!! If Ranger still existed it would be sweet if they made a rock crawling version - Ranger Crawler!

Edited by First-On-Race-Day