2007 Model Listing

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=23670

Info on the 2007 model lineup. You can click on the overview and specs to get the info. What you do see is AWD for the Fusion/Milan. What you don't see is the 3.5 for the Fusion/Milan and Five Hundred/Montego. Also, there is no new grille for the Five Hundred. When is Ford going to get with the program? Meanwhile Toyota launches a new Camry with 268hp and Nissan Altima with 265hp. Also, Fields comments on Mercury, “We are repositioning Mercury as the ‘Metro Cool’ brand that appeals to people who we define as savvy individualists. They want a vehicle that is differentiated by sophisticated styling and offers features that keep them connected to the world.†Mercury used to be a mass seller but now Ford is concentrating more on Volvo and Mazda. Why can't Ford follow the examples used by Dodge/Chrysler and Volkswagen/Audi, they can design cars with the exact same mechanicals but have a completely different body. Ford is dying a slow death and they are doing it to themselves.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=23670

Info on the 2007 model lineup. You can click on the overview and specs to get the info. What you do see is AWD for the Fusion/Milan. What you don't see is the 3.5 for the Fusion/Milan and Five Hundred/Montego. Also, there is no new grille for the Five Hundred. When is Ford going to get with the program? Meanwhile Toyota launches a new Camry with 268hp and Nissan Altima with 265hp. Also, Fields comments on Mercury, “We are repositioning Mercury as the ‘Metro Cool’ brand that appeals to people who we define as savvy individualists. They want a vehicle that is differentiated by sophisticated styling and offers features that keep them connected to the world.” Mercury used to be a mass seller but now Ford is concentrating more on Volvo and Mazda. Why can't Ford follow the examples used by Dodge/Chrysler and Volkswagen/Audi, they can design cars with the exact same mechanicals but have a completely different body. Ford is dying a slow death and they are doing it to themselves.

- Five Hundred, Motego and Freestyle are all redesigned as 2008 models starting production next winter/spring

- I believe the biggest problem with the D35 is capacity.. with only one plant (lima in Ohio) to produce it, Ford is making careful slow start to ensure reliability.

- People overplay the importance of V6 in midsize segment.. most Midsizes are purchased with the 4 cylinder engines... Now, Fusion does have 50/50 split in the retail mix, but people value the 29mpg more than 30 extra horses.... 08 Fusion should be getting the D35 anyways ...

- Your last point about auto design.. read the DetNews article on Ford's revamped global product development.... it is working for exactly the thing you mention... already you can see that Edge and Fusion share exactly nothing in body panels and interior, while being the same platform.. Fairline will expand this with the D3 and the B1 and C2 platforms should fully utilize this system in 2008 as 2009 models ..

Igor

Edited by igor

VW and Audis cost more for thier 'differences', which ar hard to spot.

Chrysler and Dodge are hardly a good example for differetiation. Only the high priced LX cars looks different, but the Chrysler Aspen looks just like a Durango with a 300 grille. and the minivans are clones.

And Hi HP is not the "big thing" now, economy is back, or do you own a gas station? Toyota isn't bragging about their 268 HP, but their Hybrids, which some think power all their cars.

Edited by 630land

80% of Camrys and Accords have 4 bangers. The HP race in this car class is over, with gas being so $$$ now. Now it is the "MPG race".

What Ford needs more than hi HP is a hybrid Fusion. And boy racers can cry all day about how much they hate them, but gas ain't ever going to be cheap again. A hybrid would be good PR.

AWD is good for the SUV owners that want to downsize

80% of Camrys and Accords have 4 bangers. The HP race in this car class is over, with gas being so $$$ now. Now it is the "MPG race".

What Ford needs more than hi HP is a hybrid Fusion. And boy racers can cry all day about how much they hate them, but gas ain't ever going to be cheap again. A hybrid would be good PR.

AWD is good for the SUV owners that want to downsize

I do believe a hybrid was announced for the Fusion already. Due for '08 model year from what I recall. None too early, for sure!

I do believe a hybrid was announced for the Fusion already. Due for '08 model year from what I recall. None too early, for sure!

Gen2 full hybrid for Fusion for 2008 MY and Gen3 (V6 specific) fully hybrid for the Edge for 2009 MY

My only gripe is that Ford really needs to be the first to put in a Diesel and Diesel Hybrid midsize sedan - can you imagine the headlines - having a 20k Fusion get 40mpg (eat you heart out Camry Hybrid) and a 25k Fusion get 60mpg (oh yeah)

But maybe that's just me.

Igor

Gen2 full hybrid for Fusion for 2008 MY and Gen3 (V6 specific) fully hybrid for the Edge for 2009 MY

My only gripe is that Ford really needs to be the first to put in a Diesel and Diesel Hybrid midsize sedan - can you imagine the headlines - having a 20k Fusion get 40mpg (eat you heart out Camry Hybrid) and a 25k Fusion get 60mpg (oh yeah)

But maybe that's just me.

Igor

Definitely wouldn't hurt the PR. But the spin would probably be "Ford Launches Midsize Diesel Hybrid Sedan to Offset Gas-Guzzling SUV Sales". :doh:

• 2 weeks later...
- Five Hundred, Motego and Freestyle are all redesigned as 2008 models starting production next winter/spring

- I believe the biggest problem with the D35 is capacity.. with only one plant (lima in Ohio) to produce it, Ford is making careful slow start to ensure reliability.

- People overplay the importance of V6 in midsize segment.. most Midsizes are purchased with the 4 cylinder engines... Now, Fusion does have 50/50 split in the retail mix, but people value the 29mpg more than 30 extra horses.... 08 Fusion should be getting the D35 anyways ...

- Your last point about auto design.. read the DetNews article on Ford's revamped global product development.... it is working for exactly the thing you mention... already you can see that Edge and Fusion share exactly nothing in body panels and interior, while being the same platform.. Fairline will expand this with the D3 and the B1 and C2 platforms should fully utilize this system in 2008 as 2009 models ..

Igor

shit the Fusion and edge have completely different front and rear susspention designbs.

Edge uses struts and a CB suspention with vertical shocks.

We need to squeeze as many products form each platform , this is the only way Forward.

It is a mistake to not have offered the 3.5L in the Fusion and Milan for '07, I'm not talking a regular model but a top of the line model 3.5L every option std. except nav and AWD, your only going to sell 5,000 make them cost 26-30K. (Limited model)

You will have an engine that can match everything in its class then, and while its not going to burn up the sales charts you won't get slaughtered int he car mags and media who make a 5,000 price difference on a midsize car sound like its nothing. That engine will get people to look at the car, and while they only may end up with the 4 or small 6 its still a sale. (I also have a feeling the 3.5L will get better mileage than the current 3.0L) (30-31mpg on the highway)

I also wonder where Stability Control is on the Fusion and Five-hundred, its optional/std on basically every other car in the same class, what is shocking is that its not even offered on the MKZ even more so for the '07 model year, I mean with Fly by wire, an ABS system in place, (well a 4 channel one) all you need is the Gyro, bigger brake booster, and a steering wheel sensor and you've got it (maybe $300 in parts and that is pushing it). Oh and one other thing the CHMSL should be LED's on the Milan and MKZ so you don't have the delay with the regular bulb in the CHMSL like you have now.

Edited by jasonj80

Blah Blah balh, only magazine boy racers care about HP #'s. With high gas prices, bragging about HP is out.

Camry buyers don't care and most midsize cars buyers really don't either. Only sports coupe, truck, or specialty car segments. IF a buyer wants a four cylinder base model, they could not care less about what the top motor offers.

The CD3 will get the 3.5L in time, it is selling fine now. If can be added to prolong sales growth.

"We need to squeeze as many products form each platform "

Who is 'we'? If you work for Ford, then do something, all the posting here doesn't help much. And why should all products the same underneath? Cost cutting can go too far where it gets 'cookie cutter' and then the products suffer. Example, Windstar [Freestar].

Edited by 630land

I also wonder where Stability Control is on the Fusion and Five-hundred, its optional/std on basically every other car in the same class, what is shocking is that its not even offered on the MKZ even more so for the '07 model year, I mean with Fly by wire, an ABS system in place, (well a 4 channel one) all you need is the Gyro, bigger brake booster, and a steering wheel sensor and you've got it (maybe $300 in parts and that is pushing it). Oh and one other thing the CHMSL should be LED's on the Milan and MKZ so you don't have the delay with the regular bulb in the CHMSL like you have now.

AWD is better than stability control.. it replaces it as a stability feature, beacuse with AWD you do not even get into situations where you would need the nany correcting your mistake.

Igor

AWD is better than stability control.. it replaces it as a stability feature, beacuse with AWD you do not even get into situations where you would need the nany correcting your mistake.

Igor

That's hardly an excuse for not even offering it at all. It should be available on ALL of their models, and STANDARD on every SUV.

Ford's not going to regain any market share or popularity simply by being "good enough".

Igor

That is 100% false, Stability control is needed with AWD and can do things that even AWD can't -- its a common misconception that if you have AWD you don't need Stability control. With the latest IISH study ESC reduces the risk of all single-vehicle crashes by more than 40 percent —fatal ones by 56 percent.

Stability control is the best active safety system you can have. Also Stability control only costs $200-$600 vs. the $1000+ for even a basic AWD system.

I don't mind that the fusion/Milan need to soldier on for another year with the duratec 30. It still gives good numbers for what it is, and, like many have said, the midsized sedan power war appears to be waneing with gas prices. Would it have been nice? Of course, but it isn't neccessary.

I think it would have been cool, however, if Ford had been able to offer a high efficiency package for the Fusion, however. Perhaps a duratec 20 attached to a CVT that was setup for maximum economy. I can imagine that such a setup could possibly have been able to reach up to 36 mpg on the highway and done high 20s in the city. They could have done the same for the duratec 30. Use the CVT from the 500, don't set up the final drive ratio so freaking high like they did in the 500, and make it FWD only. The CVT is lighter than the Aisin 6AT and can be tuned to be even more economical. Imagin offering "v6 performance with 4 cylinder economy" as the package makes 32 mpg highway and mid 20s in the city.

I think RSC <IS> standard on all Ford SUVs (except the Escape).

The MKZ gets the 3.5 as an exclusive. I would expect that the Fusion/Milan won't get the 3.5 until there's some improved variant to stow in the MKZ.

As has been pointed out earlier, this is not a deal-breaker for most buyers in the segment. Ford's decision to make all the bells and whistles available on the 4-cyl Fusion and Milan looks pretty smart now.

Ford also will probably be early with diesel options. GM has been content to buy technology from Fiat and have not (due to their lack of global luxury brands) had to develop the more premium Euro variants that will be expected in midsize cars here (GM, I believe, has no Diesel 6s and no passenger car suited Diesel V8s--Ford has both). Ford designed both the Diesel 6 and 8 that are currently sold in Europe. With proper exhaust plumbing these engines can be sold here. It's really just a matter of time.

I think RSC <IS> standard on all Ford SUVs (except the Escape).

For 2007 that is true but the Escape still doesn't have it when basically every other SUV on the market (and it is optional on Fleet Expeditions WTF?) will have it as std equipment for '07 model year vehicles. And its still not available on the Freestyle, while its now std on the '07 Pacifica, and pretty much every other vehicle in that crossover segment. I hope the Freestyle is also getting the Std side airbags for '07.

Also when are the '08 Escapes and D3 cars Launching? I'm heard everything from the '08 Escape will be out on Jan 1 2007 all the way too a Nov 2007 lunch. And the same thing for the D3's, well those have been put everywhere from a March/April Launch though Sept.

I'm sure it will make it way to std equipment on the redesigned '08 Escape and well as the '08 Freestyle, but at what cost in terms of lost sales.

For 2007 that is true but the Escape still doesn't have it when basically every other SUV on the market (and it is optional on Fleet Expeditions WTF?) will have it as std equipment for '07 model year vehicles. And its still not available on the Freestyle, while its now std on the '07 Pacifica, and pretty much every other vehicle in that crossover segment. I hope the Freestyle is also getting the Std side airbags for '07.

Also when are the '08 Escapes and D3 cars Launching? I'm heard everything from the '08 Escape will be out on Jan 1 2007 all the way too a Nov 2007 lunch. And the same thing for the D3's, well those have been put everywhere from a March/April Launch though Sept.

I'm sure it will make it way to std equipment on the redesigned '08 Escape and well as the '08 Freestyle, but at what cost in terms of lost sales.

What is optional and what is standard on fleet vehicles is up to fleet managers. I have seen fleet expeditions with two captains chairs and a washout interior.

Side airbags and the safety canopy are standard on the upcoming Freestyle. RSC has not been implemented (and my guess is that it will not be implemented until the D3s use a Ford 6-speed), but the curtain airbags (as they do on all Fords) trip during rollover events as well as impacts. I don't know if that's a segment exclusive, though.

The Escape arrives as a 2008 model in early fall 2007 (Job 1 is mid summer next year). I don't know when Job 1 is for the D3 updates, but I would expect that it would be no later than the typical mid summer start. The MKS will be a late 2008/early 2009 (fall 2007/winter 2007/08), and the Fairlane will arrive well before fall of 2008. But that's all I've heard...

Safety is standard on more vehicles than ever, including standard side air bags and side air curtains for the Ford Fusion, Five Hundred, Freestyle, Edge, Expedition and Expedition EL; Mercury Milan and Montego; Lincoln MKX, Navigator and Navigator L.

I noticed this, but when I go through the Five Hundred's Build & Price, it still lists the "Safety Package: 2-row safety canopy, side impact airbags" as a $600 option. Anyone know which one is correct?

I noticed this, but when I go through the Five Hundred's Build & Price, it still lists the "Safety Package: 2-row safety canopy, side impact airbags" as a $600 option. Anyone know which one is correct?

Sounds like airbags for the rear passengers....

Sounds like airbags for the rear passengers....

no.. Ford did not change the packaging for Airbags etc for the 2007 D3's - the only airbags standard are the fronts. (per the 07 order guides posted on BON)

.. I guess they are waiting for the refresh... hopefully...

Igor

Edited by igor

Stability Control for 2006MY in Canada:

Escape Competitiors - Equinox, Santa Fe and X-Trail do not have it standard (CR-V and Liberty do)

Crossovers - Rendezvous, Pacifica and Murano do not have it standard (Pilot and Highlander do)

I'm not sure its fair to say that everyone else has it standard.

As far as I know Rollover-Stability control is still Ford exclusive, and other systems still just detect over/understeer.

Edited by Surgen