Mahindra Diesel FAIL

Edstock

From PickupTrucks.com

http://news.pickuptr...g-1921-mpg.html

Mahindra TR40 Rated at a Disappointing 19/21 MPG

According to fueleconomy.gov, the four-wheel-drive TR40 crew cab model with a four-cylinder diesel engine and automatic transmission has been rated by the EPA at 19/21 mpg city/highway. By comparison, a 2011 Toyota Tacoma with a gasoline V-6, automatic transmission and four-wheel drive is rated at 16/20 mpg. The TR40's disappointing highway mileage can't even measure up to Ford's 302-horsepower, 3.7-liter F-150 4X2, which is rated at 17/23 mpg.

:happy feet:

I wonder what it gets with the manual transmission. That be the configuration I want one in - if I cold ever bring myself to buy an indian-made vehicle.

When did they add a manual? Everything I've ever read said 6 speed auto.

Not that I've wasted time doing extensive research on this turd.

Edited by MY93SHO

Further proof that small diesels are NOT the silver bullet for economic transportation here in the states.

Lets start by putting the MYTH of longer engine life of diesel to bed. This hasn't been the case for years. The reduction in diesel lifespan and the steadily increasing gas service life will never lead to any difference in this.

Next, by the time they meet emissions standards, they are at least one of three things: way down on fuel economy (Mahindra), low on power due to not using SCR (Cummins, Mahindra), or overly complex, expensive and easily damaged technology which leads to loss of reliability (all diesels).

The 6.7l Ford and the 6.6l D-max have sort of taken us back to the mid 1990's with respect to the mileage and reliability. However diesels are still much more expensive to maintain and repair than comperable gas engines and that offsets ANY fuel economy. Oil changes (which are required JUST as often as gas) are 2-3 times more expensive even DIY fuel filters MUST be changed at least 4x as often, coolant needs flushed a minimum of 2-4x as often, and fuel addatives are NOT optional. That hasn't taken in to account what just one tank of bad fuel can do to a diesel. That can be the price of a fuel filter to $10,000 which is the average price for a pump, rails and injectors on a common rail-any common rail- that has had even a little water or gasoline- make it to the HPFP. No maker is immune from this fact of commonrail life.

Let us not forget that most if not all small diesels reguardless of whose name is on the valvecover have a very small useable power band. Automatic transmissions can help to hide some of the shortcomings like keeping the turbos spooled. Lets face it though with 120hp, reguardless of torque, this thing would be downright terrifying on an onramp if you loaded anywhere near as heavy as the claimed payload of this truck.

The last thing that most people fail to realize is that Rudolph's invention is taking its last gasps as a viable powerplant for this market. Coming emissions standards will make the pipe dream of clean, reliable, operationally economic diesel worse, not better.

IIt's Mahindra...thats the problem...not the diesel. I'm sure the archaic engine is not as refined, or more like, it's a product of 3rd worldish technology, so it still needs years of tech.

Doesn't the Ranger post better numbers with it's I-4 anyhow?

2WD only. The most fuel-efficient 4WD Ranger is rated for 15 city/19 highway.

reading about indian diesels reminded me of a video I'd seen of a Indian 'listeroid' low rpm diesel/generator manufacturer- was like a factory tour presentation, but there were folks sitting on the floor barefoot using blocks of wood to pound copper coils into winding slots, a guy sitting in the dirt with a file 'balancing' a rotor- the file was his only tool...yikes.

wish Id saved that link, it was a 'must see' video.