Mulally, Ford Rewarded for Firm's Success

Yea going to FL during Spring Break, after I polish my $39k BMW. I might ask my Teacher neighbor to keep an eye on the place as I do the same when they go to Europe or SA for a month every year. I must say I do like their non-union made $50k Sequia too! Sure is heart warming to know that Union folk here in WI are arm in arm with thier fellow UAW brothers and sisters when its a sea of Camry's, Subaru's, and Prius-es lining the streets of Madistan.

On one teacher's salary? I don't think so. And Madison is hardly representative of the US as a whole.

On one teacher's salary? I don't think so. And Madison is hardly representative of the US as a whole.

"They" as in 2. Regarding Madison - your right, thank God!

I know plenty of Teachers that realize their roll and value, thier leaders (principals and and administrators), and do not fear a loss of Union representation. They also know who the marginal teachers are, and what it would mean to save $1 k a year in dues.

This thing in WI in my mind is s about breaking the self serving, perpetuating Democrat/Union strangle hold on WI governement and education. I am not nieve enough to think that graft is exclusive to the left, however I am for this check and balance.

• Like 1

"They" as in 2. Regarding Madison - your right, thank God!

I know plenty of Teachers that realize their roll and value, thier leaders (principals and and administrators), and do not fear a loss of Union representation. They also know who the marginal teachers are, and what it would mean to save $1 k a year in dues.

This thing in WI in my mind is s about breaking the self serving, perpetuating Democrat/Union strangle hold on WI governement and education. I am not nieve enough to think that graft is exclusive to the left, however I am for this check and balance.

The proposal to unionized employees is this:

"Give up stuff, and give up your ability to ever get it back."

Hmm. I wonder why they're digging in their heels.

And frankly, union dues should be segregated between administration and PAC money. Mandatory contributions to support union administration, optional contributions to the PAC.

Why do UAW employees feel like they are entitled to $30 and hour and top tier benefits? If I posted an assembly job today at HALF what the average UAW worker makes, I could fill it by tomorrow with somebody more than capable of doing the job. Certain skilled trades are a different story, but getting them to actually work can be like pulling teeth.

• Like 2

Why do UAW employees feel like they are entitled to $30 and hour and top tier benefits? If I posted an assembly job today at HALF what the average UAW worker makes, I could fill it by tomorrow with somebody more than capable of doing the job. Certain skilled trades are a different story, but getting them to actually work can be like pulling teeth.

Why bother posting jobs for only half? Why not post for less than half again? Then you could champion yourself for LEADING this great country in the race to the bottom by destroying the middle-class and the life-style that makes this country a great place to live.

Of course there wouldn't be hardly anyone left to pay taxes or have any money to purchase anything with but you could then have it all.

You, Walker and the rest of your greedy kind could sit at the top of your lofty perch and watch your fellow man grovel for what scraps you decide to give.

Why bother posting jobs for only half? Why not post for less than half again? Then you could champion yourself for LEADING this great country in the race to the bottom by destroying the middle-class and the life-style that makes this country a great place to live.

Of course there wouldn't be hardly anyone left to pay taxes or have any money to purchase anything with but you could then have it all.

You, Walker and the rest of your greedy kind could sit at the top of your lofty perch and watch your fellow man grovel for what scraps you decide to give.

So why are there so many well-paying middle class NON UNION jobs available? Why do electricians and plumbers make more than fast food cashiers? Why do doctors and lawyers make more than factory workers?

Why do companies pay IT workers $50K-$150K voluntarily?

Every job has a market value based on supply and demand. Companies must pay market rates to keep good employees. You don't need unions to maintain middle class jobs. You just need people who are willing to work and learn the skills necessary to fill these jobs.

• Like 1

I agree that Alan Mulally should be well compensated, but corporate America goes to far with how much money they pay out to management. Wall street and the insurance industry continue to take peoples money to fill their pockets. From what I have read here, the workers are also receiving a bonus, but the top needs to remember the golden rule, "if you take care of others, they will take care of you!"

- Some, but not all, of the blogs using those graphs point out that negative equity can be a surrogate for other issues, such as unemployment which tends to move in step with it. I don't have the time to compile a correlation between deficits and unemployment per capita (as opposed to unemployment as a percentage of all workers). If anything, the correlation is probably much stronger.

It stands to reason that people who lose their jobs would tend to have greater home foreclosures. But, this is all the more reason the State must address the issue; given the source of funding (for programs and workers) is dwindling. It doesn't matter who (or what) is at fault in this case, Wisconsin is hitting (or has hit) a wall in its budget that must be addressed, or layoffs will ensue.

- The unions have agreed to the financial concessions requested. The objection is to the unnecessary attacks on the unions as institutions. And, based on the leaked compromises, it appears the Wisconsin gov realizes he's overreached.

I think it remains to be seen whether or not he's overreached. To a union member, I have no doubt that is the belief. To the rest of Wisconsin, I keep hearing of a majority support (albeit a tepid one) for Governor Walker's plan to eliminate the bulk of workers' collective bargaining rights. Were he to go full Monte and push for a true, Right-To-Work law, you're probably right. But he hasn't (and since Wisconsin public workers would still have more collective bargaining rights than most Federal workers), many people have this impression.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avB_iFEURY4

• Like 1

I don't want any of those. I want my pay raises, my performance bonuses, my COLA, and my pay-in-lieu back.

Any reason to think that the UAW negotiating team isn't already talking Ford about ball park

figures given that Ford's projection on this year's SAAR is 13 to 13.5 million vehicles?

Edited by jpd80

A lot of good will and trust exists between the UAW and Ford

If my plant is anything like the rest of the Ford plants, that "good will" is gone. Remember, it was my plant that "booed" Bob King off the stage, and he came from the Rouge.

International on the other hand, they may have different view. Of course, they don't have much "good will" left with the general membership either.

Any reason to think that the UAW negotiating team isn't already talking Ford about ball park

figures given that Ford's projection on this year's SAAR is 13 to 13.5 million vehicles?

If you believe the rhetoric, the Union and Ford are always "negotiating".

If Federal and State government employees are allowed to unionize... why is the active duty military prohibited?:lurk:

The answer to that is why no government employee should be allowed to unionize.:busted:

Every year, the union at the school corp my wife works at requested that the USAF JROTC high school program be cut just because my wife and the colonel she works with refuses to join the teachers union.:slapfight:

This has been going on for the past 9 years since the program started.

One more year she will be vested in the State Teachers' Retirement Fund.

Unless you want to be viewed in a similar light as GM/Chryco, I suggest you tone down.

I honestly wish Ford would have went the bankruptcy rout too. Their companies have less debt, everybody is still employed, sales are climbing, and the Ford family would have had to go out and get jobs.

If Federal and State government employees are allowed to unionize... why is the active duty military prohibited?:lurk:

You chose your path. Live with it or go into the private sector.

Remember Crimson Tide?

"We are here to defend democracy, not practice it."

If you believe the rhetoric, the Union and Ford are always "negotiating".

If your line goes down, it's worth $10,000 a minute?

seems like you guys have Ford over a barrel with less plants

so what's stopping the UAW getting the upper hand in this....

Why do companies pay IT workers $50K-$150K voluntarily?

And you believe IT workers would be paid those sums today had union negociated wages not risen through the decades to where they are today?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110309/ts_yblog_thelookout/jobs-returning-but-good-ones-not-so-much

And a recent Wall Street Journal analysis found that even though productivity rose 5.2 percent from mid 2009 to the end of 2010, wages increased by just 0.3 percent. That means only 6 percent of productivity gains were shared with workers. In past recoveries, that figure has averaged 58 percent. This time around, far more of the gains went to shareholders, in the form of profits, which are at record levels.

There are no easy answers for how to fix the problem. Some argue that workers need more clout in their relationship with employers, something that would require a renaissance of private-sector labor unions, which have been on the decline for the last half-century. But that prospect looks unlikely: Indeed efforts are underway in several states to make public-sector unions as weak as their private-sector counterparts

Edited by soupy

Maybe it is just me, but I think it is kind of sad when a company that pays you good wages and benefits, for a good days work.................... is wished to have gone bankrupt.............. by its own workers.

Good way to perpetuate that "us against them" mentality.

That type of selfishness is what is causing all the problems in this country. It is all about "me." I am the only person who counts, and you, company, should kiss my ass for lowering myself to grace you with my presence.

You begrudge the man who saved FMC, who you work for.

All one can say to that is................ Wow.

However, I guess you guys are right. There is no more work to be done at Ford, and we should immediately go back to how things were before. After all, that methodology worked so well the first time.

Crimany. Here in the real world, the vast majority of people have had no raises for the last few years, either. At the same time, the price that they have had to contribute to their own healthcare keeps going up, and costs the average family $500-1000 a month. These are great employees who are very valuable to their companies, and do not wish they would go bankrupt.

I wish people would spend less time worrying about what other people make, and more time worrying about their contribution..................... or maybe, more time thinking about their families, and what they can do to improve their lives (non monitarily).

However, I am sure that all of you angry workers could get your wish................... and force Ford into bankrupcy, if you really put your heart into it. :rolleyes:

• Like 7

Maybe it is just me, but I think it is kind of sad when a company that pays you good wages and benefits, for a good days work.................... is wished to have gone bankrupt.............. by its own workers.

So true and how soon some people forget.

Just imagine if Ford insisted that MAP get the same draconian wage deal as GM's Lordstown plant.

GM had to put a gun to the heads of their workers old and new but Ford took a different approach

by securing huge scales of economy at the supplier level.

Edited by jpd80

Its the Union that perpetuates this type of thinking. I guess we all sell our souls to some degree or another. The so called little guy vs the corporate fat cat is as nausiating as the corporate psyophant that lives on Kool-aid and quick to backstab. Eliminate unions and corporate hierachy replace it wiith sub contracted small enterprise that competes for blue and white collar jobs could make better leaders and happier less bored/antagonistic workers. Capatolist Utopia...building better mousetraps not fiefdoms.

Sorry, to much coffee - make it a good day all!

Good way to perpetuate that "us against them" mentality.

That type of selfishness is what is causing all the problems in this country. It is all about "me." I am the only person who counts, and you, company, should kiss my ass for lowering myself to grace you with my presence.

You begrudge the man who saved FMC, who you work for.

All one can say to that is................ Wow.

However, I guess you guys are right. There is no more work to be done at Ford, and we should immediately go back to how things were before. After all, that methodology worked so well the first time.

Crimany. Here in the real world, the vast majority of people have had no raises for the last few years, either. At the same time, the price that they have had to contribute to their own healthcare keeps going up, and costs the average family $500-1000 a month. These are great employees who are very valuable to their companies, and do not wish they would go bankrupt.

I wish people would spend less time worrying about what other people make, and more time worrying about their contribution..................... or maybe, more time thinking about their families, and what they can do to improve their lives (non monitarily).

However, I am sure that all of you angry workers could get your wish................... and force Ford into bankrupcy, if you really put your heart into it. :rolleyes:

Very well said!