For the first time in 10 years, there isn't a Ford in my driveway

atvman

At least they have the balls to build a proper sedan. I drove it on the same day I drove an MKS. The MKS has a nicer dash, otherwise the Charger is better on all fronts. That's sad, a $35K Dodge is closer to being a luxury car than a $55K Lincoln.

It's very sad. Ford made the decision to make all its four door cars into FWD with sideways motors and will have to live with it.

• Like 2

I was seriously considering a new Mustang or used Corvette in the next year or so, but I think I'll be fine with the Charger until we can really afford three vehicles. The power and handling threshold are both high enough to exceed safe and legal speeds on the road, so it's got the performance I was craving. It wouldn't be ideal on a track, but I probably wouldn't track the Mustang/Vette anyways. The biggest complaint is with the lack of a three pedal trans, but I'm sure I'll survive.

A buddy of mine bought a 2003 Corvette Convertible with 6,000 original miles for $23,000. I bought a 2002 Porsche Boxster with 53,000 miles for $16,000 and recently got 35mpg going to Grand Rapids and back and a couple times spurted up to 95mph , a little short of its 160mph top speed and near perfect slot car handling ability plus unbelievable braking ability. Enjoy your Charger. Lots of great performance vehicles out there.

• Like 1

It's very sad. Ford made the decision to make all its four door cars into FWD with sideways motors and will have to live with it.

it is sad.

Sorry Ford, but I'm not a FWD fan, simply never will be. Was talking to a old uncle tonight, hes thinking about buying a NEW car (he has always had used- would be a first for him at almost 80), I told him for a decent priced economical general transportation American car, I thought the new Cruze was the best we saw at the auto show...42 mpg, around 18K, built in Ohio...not a big GM fan, but they did a nice job on this car. forged wheels instead of Chinese cast, looks OK (I guess by todays standards) , etc...the only think I didnt like was the shifter in the stick model we checked out- looked cheep, felt cheeper... other than that, eh, not bad

I hope ford puts out another RWD sedan down the road, but doubt it. I still think a minor investment into the panther woulda been better than pulling the plug on the last American big car, but Ford will survive without it...heck they let it stagnate long enough it couldnt have been profitable anymore. Ive had my 2000 Marquis winter beater a few months now, still say its a better car than the 2011 ultimate edition one we had as a rental for a month...141k now, looks/feels like a new car still(except of course the better leather, the CD changer, the 6 way passenger seat and a few other items that were deleted to produce the 'ultimate' edition...)

I think the last marquis has to be the only example Ive ever seen of a car being STRIPPED instead of updated for OVER A DECADE.

IMO, that platform wasnt dying, it was held back and HAD to die so as not to threaten 'success' of the latest/greatest cars - cars that took so much investment they HAD to survive. beatin that dead horse again I know...but anyway, anyone here that worked at STAP back in 2000, thanks for building such a nice car- sorry I had to buy it used, but it was nicer than the new one and way under 1/10 the price...

once the 09 mustangs paid off, cant say theres gonna be a Ford for me...the last few mustangs we got (06-07-09) were fair priced IMO, the new ones- a bit past my pain threshold at 30...just cant do it. A marquis was on my possible list, but heck, this old one might still be running in another 10 years from the looks of it- thats the kind of car I want...engine sitting 'right', RWD, heavy duty (never saw another car with double walled front fenders...) solid/reliable... the only new FWD I ever bought was our 98 Windstar- we were lucky to get as many years as we did out of that, it had windstar/taurus issues, but it still was useable. FWD is just not my cup of tea, after working on the Windstar a few times, never again. I coulda swapped engines in the merc or my 89 Mark faster/easier than changing the power steering hose on that van- or a bizillion other things that FWD makes practically inaccessible...anyways-

Weather in Ohio finally broke this past week, was soooo nice to get my mustang back out again- but tell you what, after driving the barge for a while, I see why some folks were so loyal to them- my merc has the handling package, but its still a super smooth ride - roomwise, of course my kids love it compared to the mustang- but they love when their friends see them getting out of the mustang at school :)

• Like 1

I know I'm going to take some flak for it around here, but I really wanted a performance car and a third vehicle just isn't in the budget right now. The Charger R/T is sporty enough to keep me mostly satisfied and my wife was willing to compromise a little and get it over the luxury sedans were looking at. I hope I'm still welcome in these parts.

Nice car...you'll probably love it, as long as it doesn't have too many problems.

..... Was talking to a old uncle tonight, hes thinking about buying a NEW car (he has always had used- would be a first for him at almost 80), I told him for a decent priced economical general transportation American car, I thought the new Cruze was the best we saw at the auto show...42 mpg, around 18K, built in Ohio...not a big GM fan, but they did a nice job on this car. forged wheels instead of Chinese cast, looks OK (I guess by todays standards) , etc...the only think I didnt like was the shifter in the stick model we checked out- looked cheep, felt cheeper... other than that, eh, not bad

Curious, if you don't like FWD cars, but recommend one for your "old uncle" why did you recommend the Cruze over a new Focus? The Focus beats the Cruze seven ways from sunday and every major car review organization has stated as much..... :headscratch:

I haven't owned a Ford in over 6 years and that was after a string of 6 Ford products in a row. But I'm happy to see independent thinkers out there. If you want a Charger, buy a Charger. That color is beautiful and the finish looks like it will stand up. I too have never owned a new car, age 57 and have owned over 30 daily drivers since 1969. I just traded my '02 PT for an '08. I spent less that 9 grand total with trade, tax, etc. The old car had 134,+ on it ans the newer one with just 34,000. It is great. exactly what I wanted and expected. I'll pay it off and when we retire, we'll move to Scotland. There, I might buy a Focus because you know that version will have more content than what is sold here. Good luck with the Charger.

While it (Charger) wouldn't be my choice, the OP was left choosing between purchasing a product that met his specifications (the Charger), or one (from Ford) that did not.

Being a Ranger fan, I can empathize. Eventually, I'll have the same choice to make.

Yep - when it comes time to replace my Grand Marquis, I'll look hard at the new 2011 Chrysler 300, (the v-6 is enough for me)

Chrysler supposedly hinted that the Tremec TR-6060 MT may be a future offering on the Charger. :shift:

I was in a roundtable with Dodge execs and SRT Engineers this past weekend. This point was brought up many times by enthusiasts, they said it was definitely possible to do, but from a business standpoint, they cannot justify the cost right now. Ralph wants it done, but unless it can be justified (IE. Enough people would actually buy it) they are not going to do it.

I was in a roundtable with Dodge execs and SRT Engineers this past weekend. This point was brought up many times by enthusiasts, they said it was definitely possible to do, but from a business standpoint, they cannot justify the cost right now. Ralph wants it done, but unless it can be justified (IE. Enough people would actually buy it) they are not going to do it.

Available as special order?

Available as special order?

Nope. There's a lot more the just sticking a trans and an extra pedal in a car. There's changes to the floorpan (Challenger does not use the same exact floorpan) certifications, changes in bulk ordering of parts, unique parts, etc.

There's a lot more then just "want" to get these things in production. There's really got to be "demand" for something like this for it not be a money loosing proposition.

The enthusiasts in the meeting were a bit bummed, but I completely understand. Put the R&D money where it will be properly utilized.

However, there are some VERY cool things coming for Chrysler. Especially in infotainment / telematics and some very interesting automatic transmission features that will be showing up very soon.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Nope. There's a lot more the just sticking a trans and an extra pedal in a car. There's changes to the floorpan (Challenger does not use the same exact floorpan) certifications, changes in bulk ordering of parts, unique parts, etc.

There's a lot more then just "want" to get these things in production. There's really got to be "demand" for something like this for it not be a money loosing proposition.

The enthusiasts in the meeting were a bit bummed, but I completely understand. Put the R&D money where it will be properly utilized.

However, there are some VERY cool things coming for Chrysler. Especially in infotainment / telematics and some very interesting automatic transmission features that will be showing up very soon.

The manual shift mode on the 8spd might just be good enough to make a three pedal trans a less worthwhile venture.

A buddy of mine bought a 2003 Corvette Convertible with 6,000 original miles for $23,000. I bought a 2002 Porsche Boxster with 53,000 miles for $16,000 and recently got 35mpg going to Grand Rapids and back and a couple times spurted up to 95mph , a little short of its 160mph top speed and near perfect slot car handling ability plus unbelievable braking ability. Enjoy your Charger. Lots of great performance vehicles out there.

Used Corvettes are the performance deals of the century. Most of them are old man driven and babied. My dad bought a 2003 50th anniversary edition Z06 last year. It had 25K miles on the clock and was clean enough to eat off of. I did a quick background check on C5s and checked all the issues they were known for, none of them turned up. The cost? $27,000. This is a car that is in new condition and can hit sixty in 4 flat and get through the 1/4mi in 12.5 sec. IL tested on head to head with a $60K Grand Sport and the C5 Z06 posted better performance numbers despite being on inferior rubber. You simply cannot beat that deal.

Curious, if you don't like FWD cars, but recommend one for your "old uncle" why did you recommend the Cruze over a new Focus? The Focus beats the Cruze seven ways from sunday and every major car review organization has stated as much..... :headscratch:

mostly because of looks...heck his 'good car' is a late 70's fairmont wagon- woodgrain and all...the fast/furious looking focus I think for sure he'd have a problem with...I highly doubt hell ever buy a new car anyway, hes still convinced carburetors are the way to go.