MT test's the Ford Explorer against the Competition

True.

Even though reading their reviews makes me grit my teeth, probalby the most influental magazine for buyers in this segment is Consumer Reports, not one of the many enthusiast magazines.

CR has indicated they are testing the Explorer now and the review will be on line in 3-4 weeks. One concern is that they absolutely abhor My Ford Touch based on their experience with the Edge (which they did not recommend based in part on MFT), Personally, I think they are being pretty silly on some of their MFT comments, but it could have an effect on the overall rating.

It seems like a lot of reviews don't care for the My Ford Touch. When it was released I figured it out be very easy to use, but it seems like a lot of reviewers prefer a more traditional control set-up. It will be interesting to see how Ford changes it and see if they move some of the controls like HVAC, heated seats, etc. out of the system in the future.

I still think that you should be able to order MFT or not on any trim level. A lot of car buyers like my parents would be lost with MFT, however if you don't want it you have to buy a stripper, base model.

It will be interesting to see how Ford changes it and see if they move some of the controls like HVAC, heated seats, etc. out of the system in the future.

All of the HVAC controls are redundant below the touch screen already. As for the heated seats, meh, the button for them is located on the home screen, so it's not like they are difficult to access.

About all I could see them changing or would even want them to change would be to go back to some traditional buttons for the redundant functions instead of having it all be touch sensitive. Of course, I have my Edge in now getting its Sync/MFT update. If the response time improves when I get it back, I would say leave it exactly the way it is.

All of the HVAC controls are redundant below the touch screen already. As for the heated seats, meh, the button for them is located on the home screen, so it's not like they are difficult to access.

About all I could see them changing or would even want them to change would be to go back to some traditional buttons for the redundant functions instead of having it all be touch sensitive. Of course, I have my Edge in now getting its Sync/MFT update. If the response time improves when I get it back, I would say leave it exactly the way it is.

I believe Mulally has already addressed the concerns put forth by CR about MFT and new Focus DOES I believe have some of the traditional switch buttons for more basic controls that are used a lot during a drive. So MFT is changing and expect to see more changes as new concerns arise. If older drivers raise more concerns and Ford sees evidence of lost sales in its data you can bet Ford will address it. I would bet that in future you will see a melding of MFT with traditional switch gear so that both groups (traditionalists and geek techs) are somewhat satisfied.

I believe Mulally has already addressed the concerns put forth by CR about MFT and new Focus DOES I believe have some of the traditional switch buttons for more basic controls that are used a lot during a drive. So MFT is changing and expect to see more changes as new concerns arise. If older drivers raise more concerns and Ford sees evidence of lost sales in its data you can bet Ford will address it. I would bet that in future you will see a melding of MFT with traditional switch gear so that both groups (traditionalists and geek techs) are somewhat satisfied.

About the only change I really think it needs (assuming the response time issues are addressed -- but that's software, not hardware) are to make it easier to locate the buttons by feel. It doesn't necessarily need to be a physical button, but they should at least look into adding a bump or a depression in the location of the button so it can be felt before being selected. I can see maybe adding a dial for tuning, but really, once you have your presets programmed, how often do you manually tune the radio?

It seems like a lot of reviews don't care for the My Ford Touch. When it was released I figured it out be very easy to use, but it seems like a lot of reviewers prefer a more traditional control set-up. It will be interesting to see how Ford changes it and see if they move some of the controls like HVAC, heated seats, etc. out of the system in the future.

I still think that you should be able to order MFT or not on any trim level. A lot of car buyers like my parents would be lost with MFT, however if you don't want it you have to buy a stripper, base model.

I put forth that proposal months ago, but Ford is more about profits now than meeting customer concerns. Ford I'm sure feels it's cheaper just to put MFT on everything north of SE rather than make it an option, so SES and SEL buyers are stuck with it no matter what. Ford will lose some senior buyers because of it, and that is bad because they represent sales also and their money is green. Most buyers just want to get into their vehicle and drive, and don't want to sit down and go through and study an owner's manual. Especially seniors who lack confidence with high tech anyway since they didn't grow up with it. All the baby boomers such as myself are hitting retirement and have lots of money to spend on new vehicles and top end used vehicles. Ford needs to go after that money and make their vehicles user friendly. Not just high tech gizmos for twenty somethings that are just starting to build assets and investments.

I put forth that proposal months ago, but Ford is more about profits now than meeting customer concerns.

:rolleyes:

Oooooooooooorrrrr it could be that their market research indicated that the vast majority of customers looking at higher trim lines would opt for MyFord Touch anyway, which is very likely true. Okay, so they turn off a couple old biddies who are still mad they don't offer the Crown Victoria retail anymore. Time to move on from those customers. Sorry if this bothers you. ALL automakers are heading the same way.

And for the last time, MyFord Touch, once you learn it, is VERY user friendly. If you don't want to take the time (all of about half an hour from my experience) to learn how to use it in a vehicle you will likely own for several years, well, TOUGH. I don't know what else to tell you. Go look at a used Avalon or something.

Edited by NickF1011

I put forth that proposal months ago, but Ford is more about profits now than meeting customer concerns.

Well if Ford isn't meeting customers concerns, its not going to have customers!

Ford I'm sure feels it's cheaper just to put MFT on everything north of SE rather than make it an option, so SES and SEL buyers are stuck with it no matter what. Ford will lose some senior buyers because of it, and that is bad because they represent sales also and their money is green. Most buyers just want to get into their vehicle and drive, and don't want to sit down and go through and study an owner's manual. Especially seniors who lack confidence with high tech anyway since they didn't grow up with it. All the baby boomers such as myself are hitting retirement and have lots of money to spend on new vehicles and top end used vehicles. Ford needs to go after that money and make their vehicles user friendly.

It all depends...I know babyboomers who have a problem using a freaking CD player or radio in a car...how much do you want to dumb down a car?

As for Babyboomers...in all likelyhood your next car purchase is going to be your last..I know I sure as hell don't want 70+ year old drivers on the road that can barely drive...I already deal with that crap

About the only change I really think it needs (assuming the response time issues are addressed -- but that's software, not hardware) are to make it easier to locate the buttons by feel. It doesn't necessarily need to be a physical button, but they should at least look into adding a bump or a depression in the location of the button so it can be felt before being selected. I can see maybe adding a dial for tuning, but really, once you have your presets programmed, how often do you manually tune the radio?

I will say a couple positives about MFT, and I know these positives will win out over time. First, with a Menu, many more controls can be added over time as more features are added and technology changes. And second, the screen can give so much more info. I know on my Boxster the little view sreen below tach can tell me exactly what my oil level is. Of course MFT can do so much more and with upgrades can do even more. I realize this new technology will win out and over time drivers will wonder how they ever lived without it. I know that even most seniors are now used to scrolling through menus on TV, microwave ovens, and digital cameras. Now our vehicles. That being said, Ford must have known that there would be some push back as they virtually put all vehicle controls onto touchscreen.

That being said, Ford must have known that there would be some push back as they virtually put all vehicle controls onto touchscreen.

Yes, some. As in very, very, very little. It has proven to be a very popular option with customers and has been shown to be drawing in more customers than it is turning off. If the net gain is more customers willing to part with more money, then it's a win for Ford.

Plus it eradicates any past image Ford may have had with being seen as "behind the curve". Ford hadn't been looked at as in innovator for decades. This changes all of that.

Edited by NickF1011

It all depends...I know babyboomers who have a problem using a freaking CD player or radio in a car...how much do you want to dumb down a car?

As for Babyboomers...in all likelyhood your next car purchase is going to be your last..I know I sure as hell don't want 70+ year old drivers on the road that can barely drive...I already deal with that crap

Hey, I'm already thinking and planning on upgrading to 987 Boxster from my present 986 model. And I will be teaching DE classes for PCA this year, and do DE events and in better shape than most fat ass thirty somethings. The average 30 something doesn't even know what a manual trans is and thinks only one hand is for steering wheel and other for cell phone. Very easy to stereotype people, isn't it? Btw, I love my Taurus as much as my Boxster and in some ways love the Taurus more.

Yes, some. As in very, very, very little. It has proven to be a very popular option with customers and has been shown to be drawing in more customers than it is turning off. If the net gain is more customers willing to part with more money, then it's a win for Ford.

Plus it eradicates any past image Ford may have had with being seen as "behind the curve". Ford hadn't been looked at as in innovator for decades. This changes all of that.

I somewhat agree, but not fully. IMO, Ford should offer MFT as option on all models and bite the bullet on profits/ATP's. New car buyers should have more choice on what they want and ways of lowering sticker price if they wish. I'm speaking as a customer, not a manufacturer. The major reason new vehicle prices are rising so quickly as that so many features are standard whether you want them or not. Many are federally mandated, but some such as MFT and Sync are not. I understand the reasoning behind shortening the option list and packaging options together, but give us a break a bit please. Most of us on here are customers and looking for good deals, and not sure why so many on here are so anti -customer and pro manufacturer. I own Ford stock also, but I'm a customer too.

not sure why so many on here are so anti -customer and pro manufacturer. I own Ford stock also, but I'm a customer too.

The problem is that you can't cater to the 5-10% who don't want the option just because to make the car cheaper, because all its going to do is make that car harder to be profitible. I think Ford has a pretty good handle on what sells and what doesn't sell...hell the base price of the 09 Mustang went up because nearly all the optional items on the 2005-08 Mustangs became standard options....why because thats how people where ordering them or at least the dealers where.

Plus most of the time I think people rather buy a bundle and get more for their money then check off every little option they want and don't want.

So, let me see if I understand you right:

You are saying that Ford was right in sending a pre-production press fleet vehicle that has been pounded to holy heck by irresponsible car writers, and that Ford was wrong for sending a pre-production press fleet vehicle that has been pounded to holy heck by irresponsible car writers.

Seems clear enough.

Frankly, MT deserves what they got. The Explorer doesn't need a positive review from a magazine with MT's demographics (90% male, $70k household income = 'don't want/barely afford').

That is not what I meant.

I don't think Ford was right for sending a pre-production unit that has already been pounded to heck. That is the issue to me. Being a pre-production unit, Ford should have known there were still minor or possibly major issues that needed ironed out. Ford should have held out until they had more production ready units available for testing. I think Ford felt this pre-production unit would stack up well against the competition, no matter how abused or unready for production that it was. So in my eyes, Ford is at fault for the ranking/rating it received for providing an unfinished product. It's not MT's fault that they received this vehicle and simply stated it still needs work. Hopefully MT will get a great production version in the near future and can provide an update to their story.

And I don't think there are a dozen people in the explored universe who would base their buying decisions solely or even primarily off what MT says.

You'd be surprised. Look how many idiotic Toyota or Honda owners out there that take what certain rags say as the holy grail.

I don't think so either, but why on Earth would they send a vehicle with those types of issues? Maybe they should have just said, sorry don't have one available at this time...happens all the time I am sure. Just my thought.

This is my thought, why send such a vehicle? Ford can only blame themselves for the outcome as they were the ones to provide the vehicle in that condition.

Updated the OP with this image poll:

ExplorerPoll.png

Problem I have with these polls, is how realistic are they? How many kids took the poll? How many people voted multiple times? Anyone can submit an answer to such a poll. I'd much prefer to see a poll of people who actually have the money and are in the market for a new rig.

To me, this is like a sports poll on say NFL or NBA.com of who is the best team in the league. Fans will simply root for their team, no matter if there is truth behind their pick. Some will choose a team based on colors or mascot. Etc.So while it's nice to see, this type of poll doesn't really carry much weight in my opinion.

It's entirely possible the press fleet manager had no idea how beat up that Explorer was.

I was altogether rude with V8-X earlier, and I apologize for that, but I stand by the basic contention that this is much ado about nothing.

True, very true. Who knows if the press fleet manager knew MT intentions.

And I took no offense or felt you were rude in any way. You simply stated your view, which we're all entitled to. As long as others don't take offense to my personal opinion, I have no issues with theirs.

Edited by V8-X

The problem is that you can't cater to the 5-10% who don't want the option just because to make the car cheaper, because all its going to do is make that car harder to be profitible. I think Ford has a pretty good handle on what sells and what doesn't sell...hell the base price of the 09 Mustang went up because nearly all the optional items on the 2005-08 Mustangs became standard options....why because thats how people where ordering them or at least the dealers where.

Plus most of the time I think people rather buy a bundle and get more for their money then check off every little option they want and don't want.

Don't lose sight of the fact that in this depressed new car market, many that are buying new have real good jobs and higher up on socioeconomic ladder so that they were not as affected by financial crisis and resulting economic depression as many less fortunate were. Thus after a few years of being out of new vehicle market, and enjoying rebounding stock market, they a treating themselves to higher end models and less fortunate that used to buy new are either holding onto their beat up truck or car or buying used. Once the market normalizes more and goes back to 16-17 million new vehicle market, look for those less fortunate looking for cheaper model new cars and trucks. If manufacturers go crazy with sticker prices and get out of low end of market, then I don't see new vehicle sales going back to that range ever again.

I somewhat agree, but not fully. IMO, Ford should offer MFT as option on all models and bite the bullet on profits/ATP's. New car buyers should have more choice on what they want and ways of lowering sticker price if they wish. I'm speaking as a customer, not a manufacturer. The major reason new vehicle prices are rising so quickly as that so many features are standard whether you want them or not. Many are federally mandated, but some such as MFT and Sync are not. I understand the reasoning behind shortening the option list and packaging options together, but give us a break a bit please. Most of us on here are customers and looking for good deals, and not sure why so many on here are so anti -customer and pro manufacturer. I own Ford stock also, but I'm a customer too.

Ford is not in business to cater to the two-percenters. If they were, they'd still offer a manual transmission in the F-150, crank windows in the Taurus, and a manual folding top in the convertible Mustang. You reach a point when the take rate is high enough for a particular option that it makes no sense to offer it as anything other than standard equipment anymore. All you would end up with is vehicles collecting dust on dealer lots because they are spec'ed out in a way that very few customers are demanding. Would a few people order an Explorer Limited with everything except MyFord Touch? Yeah, maybe a handful, but of that handful who would, how many of them would 1) accept an Explorer with MyFord Touch anyway if it weren't available any other way or 2) leave the brand and go buy something else in enough volume to make up for Ford not offering it as a stand-alone option in the first place?

So when you turn 70 years old and are still in good health are you just going to hand your keys over and say your never driving again? I know I will drive as long as my health allows. My Dad just turned 74 in December and bought a new 2011 F-150. He still seems to be a good driver so should I have told him no and taken away the keys? I did help him find an XLT though since the manual controls for HVAC are a little simpler. Now when he is 80-something and his eyes are failing or he starts to have health issues then we will discuss taking away the keys. You have to remember there are a whole group of people 50+ years old that did not grow up in the technology age and some of them struggle with it. Now some of them are just naturally good with technology stuff because they want to learn, but most are not.

You have to remember there are a whole group of people 50+ years old that did not grow up in the technology age and some of them struggle with it. Now some of them are just naturally good with technology stuff because they want to learn, but most are not.

They also grew up without CD players, ATM's, anti-lock brakes, the Internet, etc. They've adapted.

So when you turn 70 years old and are still in good health are you just going to hand your keys over and say your never driving again? I know I will drive as long as my health allows. My Dad just turned 74 in December and bought a new 2011 F-150. He still seems to be a good driver so should I have told him no and taken away the keys? I did help him find an XLT though since the manual controls for HVAC are a little simpler. Now when he is 80-something and his eyes are failing or he starts to have health issues then we will discuss taking away the keys. You have to remember there are a whole group of people 50+ years old that did not grow up in the technology age and some of them struggle with it. Now some of them are just naturally good with technology stuff because they want to learn, but most are not.

Yes, that day will not come until you are in failing health due to old age and ready to sign power of attorney over to younger sibling or offspring. Don't worry, we will know when that day comes to everyone, some sooner than later. Eyesight is so important to a driver in all its forms such as night time vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and good central vision. Night time vision usually goes first, but once the other forms go it's time to hang it up plus when you can't multi task very well anymore. Our night time vision peaks at 18 and deteriorates at about 2%/year from then on. Most real old people know that and will not drive at night past a certain age. It's different for everyone as we age at different rates. Some people are old at 70 and some are very vibrant and can keep up with much younger people. Everyone is different. Very difficult to stereotype age groups, especially nowadays. However, I would agree that after set age to be determined, older drivers should be checked by Sec. of State more often than those in physical prime. Especially eyesight should be checked as it can go very quickly at certain ages.

They also grew up without CD players, ATM's, anti-lock brakes, the Internet, etc. They've adapted.

I will add my 2 cents...after delivering a plethora of vehicles with MFT, Im definitely not sold, IMO 50% of the system is way overkill and un-necessary, scrolling through several screens to get to the one you want ( hey, a button changing the Ambient lighting would have been just fine )....just feature after feature almost in a boastful fashion....look at all the features we vcan cram on the system!....case in point is with ( after registration on syncmyride.com ) Sync....WHO THE HELL NEEDS OR DESIRES THERI DAMN HOROSCOPE?????? seriously....SHEESH! That said though, the system has been embraced ( Edges and Explorers are moving very quickly ) and I think most IGNORE some of the frivilous features....

I will add my 2 cents...after delivering a plethora of vehicles with MFT, Im definitely not sold, IMO 50% of the system is way overkill and un-necessary, scrolling through several screens to get to the one you want ( hey, a button changing the Ambient lighting would have been just fine )....just feature after feature almost in a boastful fashion....look at all the features we vcan cram on the system!....case in point is with ( after registration on syncmyride.com ) Sync....WHO THE HELL NEEDS OR DESIRES THERI DAMN HOROSCOPE?????? seriously....SHEESH! That said though, the system has been embraced ( Edges and Explorers are moving very quickly ) and I think most IGNORE some of the frivilous features....

For those silly things like the horoscope, there's a reason they are buried in the system. It has the capability, why not add it? At least it is all clearly organized and there aren't dash buttons for everything. Really? We need a dash button for the ambient lighting? I've changed the ambient light color about 5 times since I've bought my car. Is that worth having a dedicated button cluttering up the dash the remainder of the time it's not being used?

As for ignoring the frivolous features, I certainly do , but it's neat that they are there. Besides, most of them can't be used whem the vehicle is in motion anyway, so if you're sitting in your car bored and waiting for someone, I can see how they might get more use then -- like checking sports scores or the weather report, etc.

For those silly things like the horoscope, there's a reason they are buried in the system. It has the capability, why not add it? At least it is all clearly organized and there aren't dash buttons for everything. Really? We need a dash button for the ambient lighting? I've changed the ambient light color about 5 times since I've bought my car. Is that worth having a dedicated button cluttering up the dash the remainder of the time it's not being used?

As for ignoring the frivolous features, I certainly do , but it's neat that they are there. Besides, most of them can't be used whem the vehicle is in motion anyway, so if you're sitting in your car bored and waiting for someone, I can see how they might get more use then -- like checking sports scores or the weather report, etc.

I have a button for Ambient in the Fiesta..it is GLORIOUSLY easy to locate and use in comparison....and judging from the responses of 99% of people purchasing vehicles with MFT the learning curve is ridiculously steep....the 1% of customers that are extremely techno savy like it...to an extent, but they are also the same people co plaining about things like response time.....

and judging from the responses of 99% of people purchasing vehicles with MFT the learning curve is ridiculously steep..

I haven't played with MFT yet, but how much harder can it be use over say a touchscreen smartphone? I haven't heard people bitching about UI on an android or the iphone devices...they have the bare minium of shortcut "switches" on them

I seriously doubt its that steep of a learning curve (ie someone who has never touched a computer before using Windows) ...more like an unfamimatry with how the system works and just needs some seat time to figure out.

I haven't played with MFT yet, but how much harder can it be use over say a touchscreen smartphone? I haven't heard people bitching about UI on an android or the iphone devices...they have the bare minium of shortcut "switches" on them

I seriously doubt its that steep of a learning curve (ie someone who has never touched a computer before using Windows) ...more like an unfamimatry with how the system works and just needs some seat time to figure out.

would you like a list of the people that have come back NUMEROUS times AFTER initial delivery....lol, its funny on the surface, annoyingly time consuming in reality, AND some come in that bought vehicles elsewhere.......as for the phones...HALF of the people we sync up dont know where their Bluetooth app is, and if its a Blackberry, cant put in the 6 digit code before the phone times out ( really Blackberry could you make the buttons any smaller and less user friendly ?)....and SOME will not sync at all...had a nice 1 hour conversation with a Verizon tech...eventually we came to the conclusion it was the phone NOT the system....but try telling that to the Techno dweeb that bought the highest tech phone he could....point is tech for tech sake can end up being more problematic than just a simple button...mind you, this from a guy whos stereo gear is all Vacume Tubed....lol

Edited by Deanh

I spent about 45 minutes in a Edge Limited, with MFT. About 30 minutes of that, was my test drive.

Now, let me qualify what I am about to say. I am far from a techie. I just got my first smart phone (a Blackberry Bold). However, I am not intimidated by tech either.

I was easily able to make the stereo/climate control do anything I needed it to do. I have never owned a vehicle with SYNC. Yet, I found the interfaces to be logically arranged. This same logic can be used to figure out most of it. If all else fails, mess around with it and see what things do.

It really is not that hard.

BTW, the shape of the buttons on the Blackberry's makes them very easy to use. I have found the phone to be very user friendly, and easy to learn. My brothers Iphone however................... yikes.

Oh, and I am 46, so I am easily in most buyer demographics (except Town Cars, as I am not dead).

would you like a list of the people that have come back NUMEROUS times AFTER initial delivery....lol, its funny on the surface, annoyingly time consuming in reality, AND some come in that bought vehicles elsewhere.......as for the phones...HALF of the people we sync up dont know where their Bluetooth app is, and if its a Blackberry, cant put in the 6 digit code before the phone times out ( really Blackberry could you make the buttons any smaller and less user friendly ?)....and SOME will not sync at all...had a nice 1 hour conversation with a Verizon tech...eventually we came to the conclusion it was the phone NOT the system....but try telling that to the Techno dweeb that bought the highest tech phone he could....point is tech for tech sake can end up being more problematic than just a simple button...mind you, this from a guy whos stereo gear is all Vacume Tubed....lol

You bring up a great point...but the issue isn't with MFT...its with the phones trying to connect to them, which Ford really doesn't have much control over, since they can be crippled by the Cell Phone Carriers. How in the hell is a button supposed to make connecting your phone easier to system? :doh: This has been an issue even before MFT with SYNC...I'm not gonna complain too much if it can't read my phones Text messages to me. I'm assuming these people who have Bluetooth issues never used a BT Headset either...because connecting up a headset to a phone is the same process as attaching a phone to Sync/MFT

The way I'm taking the reviews is they are bitching about navagating to different screens to say change the heat in the car etc....how hard is it to learn how to navagate the system to do that? I'm sure you can get the basics down with in 5-10 minutes and know how to use the system very proficianlly within a week or two.

The whole MFT thing makes me crack up...I remember back when the 2004 F-150 spy shots where going around and people where bitching about all the little buttons all over the place on it (The Escape too now that I think about it) and now that we have a Multifuction display with only a couple buttons on it, people are bitching about that! :rolleyes: