Ford Motor Company April 2011 Sales Figures

Let's put the predictions here and see how good/bad they are.

Edmunds' Their Ford #: 191,000, up 14.0 from 04/10

TrueCar's Their Ford #: 187,523, up 15.2% from 04/10

Something's wrong here. One of them included/excluded? Volvo for last April? Mercury? Adjusted for # of selling days?

LINK - Ford Media

Up 16%

21,189 Fusion

17,265 Focus

12,593 Explorer

9,147 Fiesta

9,361 Edge

8,180 Mustang

2,546 MKZ

Taurus 6,262

The Bad...

Flex 1,927 (down 50%)

MKS 828 (down 20%)

MKT 456 (down 27%)

Hey Nick:

Looking at those Mustang sales figures for April compared to Flex sales, You were saying............? Again, horrible comparison and maybe better to use MKX figures in comparing sales numbers. Overall, good sales numbers for Ford, and looks to me like Ford needs to increase Fiesta production. According to AN, Ford has already produced more Foci this year than Fiesta. I bet Ford could sell 15,000 Fiestas if dealers had them to sell. I look for Focus numbers to be greater than Fusion as year passes on.

Hey Nick:

Looking at those Mustang sales figures for April compared to Flex sales, You were saying............? Again, horrible comparison and maybe better to use MKX figures in comparing sales numbers. Overall, good sales numbers for Ford, and looks to me like Ford needs to increase Fiesta production. According to AN, Ford has already produced more Foci this year than Fiesta. I bet Ford could sell 15,000 Fiestas if dealers had them to sell. I look for Focus numbers to be greater than Fusion as year passes on.

Mustang in its first year with all-new engines. Flex close to entering its 4th year with zero changes (sitting alongside the brand-new Explorer). Flex is probably still profitable. And probably still has higher ATP's. Carry on.

Edited by NickF1011

I am up over last year by quite a bit monthly and ytd. But it won't last long with current inventory levels. The cupboards are getting bare. No fix in site either. I appreciate measured growth and all but this is too far in that direction. It is hard to keep up sales numbers when you are only getting 25% allocation in relation to vehicles sold. Every dealer I talk to is in the same boat. So much for taking advantage of Honda and Toyotas challenges.

12,000 explorers a month while the Flex dies a slow death. I think they'll need to make a decision soon.

With the Flex saddled with no MyFord Touch and the old version of the 3.5, it's no wonder it is losing sales to the brand-new Explorer. Should the Flex still be suffering after its refresh comes out, then I would agree to end it.

LINK - Ford Media

Up 16%

21,189 Fusion

17,265 Focus

12,593 Explorer

9,147 Fiesta

9,361 Edge

8,180 Mustang

2,546 MKZ

Taurus 6,262

The Bad...

Flex 1,927 (down 50%)

MKS 828 (down 20%)

MKT 456 (down 27%)

Let's put it in this way

Big (Taurus, MKS, FLEX, EXPLORER, MKT)

Medium (Fusion, edge)

small (Focus, Escape )

Very small (Fiesta)

Truck and van (F series, E series, Expedition)

Others (ranger, mustang, CV)

I think it is pretty good

Edited by weiweishen

With the Flex saddled with no MyFord Touch and the old version of the 3.5, it's no wonder it is losing sales to the brand-new Explorer. Should the Flex still be suffering after its refresh comes out, then I would agree to end it.

Yep, give it a chance to carve out its own niche with a decent MCE and let it live out the planned lifecycle. If it can't make money, don't release a new generation.

Some of the fine details:

"In April, total sales were 189,778, up 16 percent. Retail sales were up 10 percent and fleet sales

were up 31 percent (commercial was up 33 percent, government grew 10 percent, and daily

rental increased 39 percent)."

I wish retail was up more.

Sales through April, 2011:

Mustang 23,599 +13%

Flex 8,750 -31%

I personally like the Flex and hope it survives with freshening. Choice is good and it's up to Ford to market it in a way that differentiates it from the Explorer. It seems to me the freshening will also take some marketing dollars to show consumers that it's different and point them out. So far anyway if Ford was expecting increased buyers in showroom to look at new Explorer to also increase Flex sales, it's simply not working. Time for another plan. The Flex is too nice of vehicle to just forget about in marketing sense.

Some of the fine details:

"In April, total sales were 189,778, up 16 percent. Retail sales were up 10 percent and fleet sales

were up 31 percent (commercial was up 33 percent, government grew 10 percent, and daily

rental increased 39 percent)."

I wish retail was up more.

Just looking at F-Series, E-Vans, Ranger, and Crown Vic sales will tell you that Ford sold a bunch of vehicles to fleets. Crown Vic is all fleets and E-Vans is not far behind.

Mustang 23,599 +13%

Flex 8,750 -31%

I personally like the Flex and hope it survives with freshening. Choice is good and it's up to Ford to market it in a way that differentiates it from the Explorer. It seems to me the freshening will also take some marketing dollars to show consumers that it's different and point them out. So far anyway if Ford was expecting increased buyers in showroom to look at new Explorer to also increase Flex sales, it's simply not working. Time for another plan. The Flex is too nice of vehicle to just forget about in marketing sense.

You are comparing apples and oranges!

F Series: 172,062 +19.5%

The Mustang isn't increasing as quickly as the F Series, better kill it!!

Seriously, would you quit comparing sales of the Mustang and Flex...they are two separate animals and their per unit amortization costs are calculated completely differently. Wake the he|| up!

Mustang 23,599 +13%

Flex 8,750 -31%

Why would anyone coming to look at the Explorer take a look at the Flex? It's older with fewer features.

their per unit amortization costs are calculated completely differently. Wake the he|| up!

^^ The important part. The Mustang has to do a lot better than the Flex to justify its existence. Until just the past couple of months, it hadn't been.

Edited by NickF1011

I am up over last year by quite a bit monthly and ytd. But it won't last long with current inventory levels. The cupboards are getting bare. No fix in site either. I appreciate measured growth and all but this is too far in that direction. It is hard to keep up sales numbers when you are only getting 25% allocation in relation to vehicles sold. Every dealer I talk to is in the same boat. So much for taking advantage of Honda and Toyotas challenges.

Problem is Ford can't add much more production. Chicago, OAC and Hermosillo are all running 3 shifts (IIRC) on platforms that are near the end of their life cycles. You shouldn't add production elsewhere for a platform that is near EOL.

KCAP could end up getting overflow from a number of plants, but not until platforms change. KCAP could be CD4/C2 overflow, with AAI shifting to 100% Ford ownership and taking CD4 & D3 replacement volume.