2013 Escape = Kuga

60 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a Kuga-Escape ?

• Yes - I lke the exterior styling
    • No - I prefer the older, more boxy, Escape styling

Well, I may be a bit premature committing to an increase, I will admit. I think it will at least maintain its share of the market though.

I'll probably end up with a girly Vertrek when my 3 year lease is up on my Escape because it is the size I want and the ground clearance (although I hate to see the lost inch because believe me every inch counts in the snow) and utility that I need living up in the Black Hills. I won't buy anything but a Ford product so my options are pretty limited. I'll get over the styling in time, but I will never like it as much as the baby Ford truck look current Escape. I'd rather have the Explorer, but I'm a single person and it just seems too big and it's too expensive for me unless I decide to buy used.

Edited by 2005Explorer

I'll probably end up with a girly Vertrek when my 3 year lease is up on my Escape because it is the size I want and the ground clearance (although I hate to see the lost inch because believe me every inch counts in the snow) and utility that I need living up in the Black Hills. I won't buy anything but a Ford product so my options are pretty limited. I'll get over the styling in time, but I will never like it as much as the baby Ford truck look current Escape. I'd rather have the Explorer, but I'm a single person and it just seems too big and it's too expensive for me unless I decide to buy used.

For the empteenth time though, remember that the next gen Escape is not just a reskinned current generation Kuga. Assuming that the next gen specs will mirror those of the current Kuga may be selling it short.

Well, I may be a bit premature committing to an increase, I will admit. I think it will at least maintain its share of the market though.

I see this selling fewer than the current Escape, but at a higher ATP, and that's not a bad thing, even though you couldn't pay me to own one.

Enjoy your used 2011 Escape then.

Who has a used 2011 Escape? If I were buying one I'd buy a 2012. I don't buy used vehicles.

I'm not currently in the market, I will be replacing my Escape in the next two years, and it looks like I'll have to buy something other than Ford.

I'm not currently in the market, I will be replacing my Escape in the next two years, and it looks like I'll have to buy something other than Ford.

Back to this again....and the complete lack of other "boxy" small CUVs to choose from in the current Escape's absense. :shrug:

Back to this again....and the complete lack of other "boxy" small CUVs to choose from in the current Escape's absense. :shrug:

Yes, I don't see how you can't comprehend it. People do not buy cars by category. I do not shop for "small CUVs". I shop for a vehicle which I like that meets my needs. The Escape is one of them. I've been thrilled with my Escape (It has served me better than our Flex) and would be first in line to consider as a replacement, if they didn't ruin it. Had I been interested in a "me too" CUV there were plenty of them to choose from when I bought my Escape. There will be plenty of them to choose from when I replace it, including the new Escape, but none of them will be in consideration.

Yes, I don't see how you can't comprehend it. People do not buy cars by category. I do not shop for "small CUVs". I shop for a vehicle which I like that meets my needs. The Escape is one of them. I've been thrilled with my Escape (It has served me better than our Flex) and would be first in line to consider as a replacement, if they didn't ruin it. Had I been interested in a "me too" CUV there were plenty of them to choose from when I bought my Escape. There will be plenty of them to choose from when I replace it, including the new Escape, but none of them will be in consideration.

So, what do we know about the new Escape that won't be able to "do" what the current one does?

And of course people buy cars by category! People looking at minivans aren't going to go check out the Mustang. They go look at other minivans. People looking for the capabilities of a small CUV aren't going to look at an Explorer or a Focus. They are going to look at Escapes, CRV's, RAV4's, etc and pick the one that has the package they like most at the price that fits their alloted budget.

When I bought my Mustang, I looked at other sporty coupes: Camaro, Firebird, 3000GT, Stealth.

When I bought the Edge, I (very briefly anyway) looked at other midsize CUVs: CX7 (considered it - I had no problems with my Mazda6), CX9 (too big). I didn't look at sedans, station wagons, or fullsize SUVs.

If you don't do it that way, it's you who shops in a unique way.

Edited by NickF1011

When I bought the Edge, I (very briefly anyway) looked at other midsize CUVs: CX7 (considered it - I had no problems with my Mazda6), CX9 (too big). I didn't look at sedans, station wagons, or fullsize SUVs.

If you don't do it that way, it's you who shops in a unique way.

Question would you replace your Edge with a Vertreked Escape?

Unless it is considerably larger than the current Escape, no. The Edge is very "right-sized" for me.

I'm watching for a few things when it comes to size and capabilities. First of all the Vertrek appears to have a very dinky cargo area. The current Escape has a very generous cargo capacity for it's size. The Escape has 67.2 cu ft with the back seat down and 31.4 cu ft behind the second row. If you compare that to the Edge which has 68.9 cu ft with the back seat down and 32.2 cu ft behind the second row you have to ask yourself how in the world can a vehicle that is quite a bit smaller on the out side have almost as much cargo room? The answer is all in the SUV versus CUV roofline. Now take a look at the Vertrek which is much more pinched down in the back compared to the Edge. Tell me how cargo capacity will not be compromised? I replaced my Fusion with an Escape for several reasons. The biggest reasons were ground clearance for snow since I moved to snow country, more cargo room since I have became a home owner, a hitch so I can pull a small utility trailer to haul my snowmobile or things for the house and last the ability to do light duty trail driving. These are all important things to me and I think they are also important things to a lot of Escape buyers. Performance and handling are a consideration, however when it comes to these vehicles those things rank lower then the capability and utility of the vehicle. Looking at the Vertrek concept it seems that style was put ahead of utility in my opinion.

I'm watching for a few things when it comes to size and capabilities. First of all the Vertrek appears to have a very dinky cargo area. The current Escape has a very generous cargo capacity for it's size. The Escape has 67.2 cu ft with the back seat down and 31.4 cu ft behind the second row. If you compare that to the Edge which has 68.9 cu ft with the back seat down and 32.2 cu ft behind the second row you have to ask yourself how in the world can a vehicle that is quite a bit smaller on the out side have almost as much cargo room? The answer is all in the SUV versus CUV roofline. Now take a look at the Vertrek which is much more pinched down in the back compared to the Edge. Tell me how cargo capacity will not be compromised? I replaced my Fusion with an Escape for several reasons. The biggest reasons were ground clearance for snow since I moved to snow country, more cargo room since I have became a home owner, a hitch so I can pull a small utility trailer to haul my snowmobile or things for the house and last the ability to do light duty trail driving. These are all important things to me and I think they are also important things to a lot of Escape buyers. Performance and handling are a consideration, however when it comes to these vehicles those things rank lower then the capability and utility of the vehicle. Looking at the Vertrek concept it seems that style was put ahead of utility in my opinion.

Cubic feet is one measure of cargo room, not necessarily a measure of useful cargo space. More doesn't always mean better, and less doesn't always mean worse.

BTW, where have the next Escape's cargo volume been released? I'd like to see all these details of the next Escape...

The main drawback that most seem to have with the current Escape's design (and it was certainly mine) was the layout of the passenger space. If the new Escape addresses that issue without losing too much cargo capacity (as long as it remains in line with key competitors) I think it will appeal to a lot of people that are turned off by the cramped layout of the current Escape's cabin. My Edge certainly doesn't have a huge cargo area for the size of the vehicle, but the passenger layout between it and the Escape is night and day.

And argue if you wish, but style is still one thing most consumers list as a priority when shopping for a new vehicle. The current Escape isn't bad looking at all, but I guess Ford concluded that body style had reached the end of its road. Most consumers looking at small CUVs (who aren't looking for the maximum cargo capacity in the first place, or they wouldn't be looking at small CUVs) would likely trade a few cubic feet of cargo space for a better looking vehicle.

Cubic feet is one measure of cargo room, not necessarily a measure of useful cargo space. More doesn't always mean better, and less doesn't always mean worse.

BTW, where have the next Escape's cargo volume been released? I'd like to see all these details of the next Escape...

Just look at both of them.

Ford-Vertrek-image-e1298909850806.jpg

2010-ford-escape-3.jpg

How can you not see that cargo capacity has been reduced? How about trying to put that kayak on the roof of the new one? Good luck!

Just look at both of them.

Ford-Vertrek-image-e1298909850806.jpg

2010-ford-escape-3.jpg

How can you not see that cargo capacity has been reduced? How about trying to put that kayak on the roof of the new one? Good luck!

I see no reason the new Escape won't be able to be equipped with a roof rack.

And with no actual measurements (particularly width) then it is impossible to infer cargo capacity based on a pair of photos. And again, you're comparing photos of a CONCEPT vehicle to a production vehicle.

Edited by NickF1011

So, what do we know about the new Escape that won't be able to "do" what the current one does?

Where did I say the new Escape couldn't "do" something the current one can? What can't it do? Look like a vehicle that I am willing to buy.

And of course people buy cars by category!

I don't believe they do. "Well, I can't stand the way the new Escape looks, but I need to buy a small CUV, so I guess that's the vehicle for me". Really? Think so?

The Vertrek concept is 2.7" wider than the current Escape (not that it answers the question at hand, as it was a concept, but there are dimensions available comparing the Vertrek, Escape, and Kuga)

Well if the dimensions of the Vertrek are carried to the next generation Escape then it is going to be very close in size to the Edge. Not quite, but so close it makes you wonder why they would keep building both.

Edited by 2005Explorer

I don't believe they do. "Well, I can't stand the way the new Escape looks, but I need to buy a small CUV, so I guess that's the vehicle for me". Really? Think so?

What are they going to do instead? "I don't like the way the new Escape looks, so I think I'll buy a Expedition instead"?? No. They will go look at other similar vehicles in its class and pick the one they like the most. Either that or they won't buy anything at all. :shrug: