'13 Escape Spy video

Interesting flashback: If I recall correctly, at the time the Escape was introduced Ford made a big point about how it was created/developed according to Ford Truck standards, not just Car standards, having to meet all the same durability and endurance standards as an F-series, Explorer, ect.

yup, so expect the replacement to raise the bar somewhat....

Edited by Deanh

So they prefer an ancient Mazda 626 platform to the modern C platform?

The Escape, since day 1, has been an "SUV" in appearance only. It has always been a car based crossover. Kuga's capabilities compare favorably with the current Escape, so what do we expect to change?

I am a current (2010) Escape owner, and as much as I like ours, its time for an updating.

I don't think anyone here is saying that the Escape should move from its car platform to a truck platform. You are correct in saying that the CD2 is based on the Mazda 626 platform, but the platform has been updated throughout the years and is still a modern platform compared to say... the Panther. Now I am not arguing that it is time to replace the platform or do a styling update, but I think many of the current Escape customers were drawn in by the SUV styling. I know I was and even though pricing is pretty good on an Escape as well once you move into a Limited 4WD V6 it is not a whole lot cheaper then some of its more car-like competitors. I knew that some of the Escapes competitors rode and handled better when I bought it, but the "outdoorsy" truck styling is what drew me in.

Is it time for a new chassis? Yes. Is it time to update the styling? Yes. I just feel that Ford should have looked more to the F-150 for styling inspiration and less to the new Focus. Almost everyone I know refers to my Escape as a "little truck" and I doubt anyone will ever refer to the Vertrek as one. An aggressive updated SUV look might be a real hit in America. Believe it or not a lot of us still like driving something that makes us feel a little adventurous. Something that I can park next to my favorite fishing stream up in the Hills and it will look right at home. The Vertrek does not look adventurous or outdoorsy. It looks like all of the small CUVs on the market today. Pretty sad when a Suburu looks more like it is ready for the trek back to the cabin then the new Escape. Marketing to the urban crowd might improve since it is a very urban vehicle, but for those of us who want something a little more adventurous it doesn't do much.

yup, so expect the replacemnet to raise the bar somewhat....

Ford claimed the current Escape was developed with Ford truck standards in mind. I have not heard them say anything about the new one and taking one look at it you can tell it is 100% car. All SUV gone.

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 1

Now I don't foresee the F150 following the route the Escape & Explorer have taken, but if it ever does, it'll be a sad day around these parts.

Good Lord. The Escape is NOT. A. TRUCK. It might LOOK like a truck, but it doesn't mean it IS a truck. How did this turn into a "Well, Ford probably wouldn't do that to the F150, but you never know...ha ha" line of nonsense? Wow.

Ford doesn't owe anybody anything. But the fact remains, you simply don't overhaul your entire product line-up and abandon the consumers that have gotten you where you are today. Otherwise, once those folks who are just there for the lastest/greatest product move to the next latest/greatest product, Ford won't have their faithful, longstanding consumer base that has gotten them through thick and thin to fall back on.

Buying a car-based CUV isn't the latest and greatest. People have been doing by buying the Escape by the ton for the last 10 years (or more). You're focused on LOOKS and incorrectly correlating looks to capability. You, me and no one on this KNOWS that just because the Escape's looks will change, that its capabilities will be reduced. It might be worth a news flash here: Buying a fuel-efficient, but stylish and capable vehicle is not the latest and greatest thing. It's the de facto standard for vehicles now, with gas prices and government regulation changing the vehice mix.

Edited by BrewfanGRB
  • Like 1

I don't think anyone here is saying that the Escape should move from its car platform to a truck platform. You are correct in saying that the CD2 is based on the Mazda 626 platform, but the platform has been updated throughout the years and is still a modern platform compared to say... the Panther. Now I am not arguing that it is time to replace the platform or do a styling update, but I think many of the current Escape customers were drawn in by the SUV styling. I know I was and even though pricing is pretty good on an Escape as well once you move into a Limited 4WD V6 it is not a whole lot cheaper then some of its more car-like competitors. I knew that some of the Escapes competitors rode and handled better when I bought it, but the "outdoorsy" truck styling is what drew me in.

Is it time for a new chassis? Yes. Is it time to update the styling? Yes. I just feel that Ford should have looked more to the F-150 for styling inspiration and less to the new Focus. Almost everyone I know refers to my Escape as a "little truck" and I doubt anyone will ever refer to the Vertrek as one. An aggressive updated SUV look might be a real hit in America. Believe it or not a lot of us still like driving something that makes us feel a little adventurous. Something that I can park next to my favorite fishing stream up in the Hills and it will look right at home. The Vertrek does not look adventurous or outdoorsy. It looks like all of the small CUVs on the market today. Pretty sad when a Suburu looks more like it is ready for the trek back to the cabin then the new Escape. Marketing to the urban crowd might improve since it is a very urban vehicle, but for those of us who want something a little more adventurous it doesn't do much.

Ford claimed the current Escape was developed with Ford truck standards in mind. I have not heard them say anything about the new one and taking one look at it you can tell it is 100% car. All SUV gone.

Ill say it for them...new vehicles DONT REGRESS....and the Escape was SUV in appearance only........

Good Lord. The Escape is NOT. A. TRUCK. It might LOOK like a truck, but it doesn't mean it IS a truck. How did this turn into a "Well, Ford probably wouldn't do that to the F150, but you never know...ha ha" line of nonsense? Wow.

Buying a car-based CUV isn't the latest and greatest. People have been doing by buying the Escape by the ton for the last 10 years (or more). You're focused on LOOKS and incorrectly correlating looks to capability. You, me and no one on this KNOWS that because the Escape's looks will change, it's capabilities will be reduced. It might be worth a news flash here: Buying a fuel-efficient, but stylish and capable vehicle is not the latest and greatest thing. It's the de facto standard for vehicles now, with gas prices and government regulation changing the vehice mix.

Bingo, someone else GETS it..........

• Like 1

IIs it time for a new chassis? Yes. Is it time to update the styling? Yes. I just feel that Ford should have looked more to the F-150 for styling inspiration and less to the new Focus. Almost everyone I know refers to my Escape as a "little truck" and I doubt anyone will ever refer to the Vertrek as one. An aggressive updated SUV look might be a real hit in America. Believe it or not a lot of us still like driving something that makes us feel a little adventurous. Something that I can park next to my favorite fishing stream up in the Hills and it will look right at home.

And some crazy posters here are worried that a Vertrek-influenced Escape will be too girly? Seems to me you make your purchase decision entirely on what the vehicle looks like instead of what it DOES. Which is fine---I certainly wouldn't buy a vehicle I found ugly. I also completely understand being attracted or drawn to the Escape on its truck-like looks. But, here's my point: You can't park your Escape next your favorite fishing stream up in the Hills just because it LOOKS like it belongs there--it actually has to be ABLE to go there.

I completely understand if you don't purchase the new Escape if you're turned off the looks itself. But if you see the vehicle and say "Well, it sure looks like a car to me, it can't do anything" and then not buy it, then YOU'VE done a disservice to yourself, not Ford.

Again, it's illogical to correlate looks to capabality and to assume that because the Escape's looks will be less "truck-like" that it will somehow be less capable. The new Escape's underlying influence will be the Kuga, which even accounting for EU vs US differences in tow rating standards, still has a tow rating equal to or better than the current Escape. It's not reasonable to think the tow rating will go DOWN. If you don't like a CUV-like look, then that's that. The market says you're in the very small minority (and please don't point to Escape sales--you have no way to know how many people buy the Escape simply because it "looks like a truck"). I, for one, briefly considered it until deciding to put off my next purchase until the new Fusion and Escape come out. I'd buy it simply because it had AWD, a ride height higher than a car and because it was a FORD.

Honda could make the CR-V look like an F150 and I'd still never buy it...because it's a freaking Honda.

Edited by BrewfanGRB
  • Like 2

Ill say it for them...new vehicles DONT REGRESS....and the Escape was SUV in appearance only........

In capability? Sure they can. The Escape is car based, but I don't think you can say in appearance only. What Ford car offers a 3,500 lb. towing package right now? What Ford car offers 8.4" of running ground clearance? What Ford car offers the same angle of approach and departure as the Escape? I can't think of one. Now we all know that the Escape isn't a hardcore off-roader, but it will sure get to places a car won't without hurting it.

I traded in a 2008 Fusion AWD on my Escape. I live in a place that gets a lot of snow and guess what the Escape does MUCH better in snow then the Fusion. They both have AWD, but the ground clearance makes a big difference. You would be surprised what the Escape will go through that the Fusion would get high centered on. With all of that said the Escape is more then just an SUV in appearance. Of course having truck styling is just a nice little bonus to those of us who don't want to look like we get pedicures each month at Nails Express.

• Like 1

In capability? Sure they can. The Escape is car based, but I don't think you can say in appearance only. What Ford car offers a 3,500 lb. towing package right now? What Ford car offers 8.4" of running ground clearance? What Ford car offers the same angle of approach and departure as the Escape? I can't think of one. Now we all know that the Escape isn't a hardcore off-roader, but it will sure get to places a car won't without hurting it.

I traded in a 2008 Fusion AWD on my Escape. I live in a place that gets a lot of snow and guess what the Escape does MUCH better in snow then the Fusion. They both have AWD, but the ground clearance makes a big difference. You would be surprised what the Escape will go through that the Fusion would get high centered on. With all of that said the Escape is more then just an SUV in appearance. Of course having truck styling is just a nice little bonus to those of us who don't want to look like we get pedicures each month at Nails Express.

Come on, 2005Explorer, the point is, it's car-based, not that it IS a car. The Edge is "car-based", too, for crying out loud. Again, the issue is with the assumption that "Oh, it changing from it "looking" like an SUV, so that MUST mean, it will DEFINITELY have a lower ride height and lower tow rating". It's simply not known whether either of those is true. Is it more likely that the ride will be somewhat lower? It's plausible, but again, the Kuga only rides 0.5" lower than the current Escape, so just because it LOOKS lower doesn't mean it IS.

What I'd say is this: Wait at least for the "semi-official" stuff to come out and then we can debate all we want. In the meantime, it's pointless, wouldn't you say?

and you are, like some here COMPLETELY jumping to conclusions....Im of the wait and see crowd, but a few things I WILL guarantee, it WILL drive, ride, handle better, be quieter and more fuel efficient to boot. It will also offer better substance, higher quality materials and most likely perfom better in all crash tests and, to top it off will be more fuel efficient...and I have ZERO doubt ( although this is of course speculation ) it will be superior in pretty much EVERY parameter...Im not even worried about towing, as in the time the Escape has been on the market, I have YET to see one towing ANYTHING, not even a jetski.....as for ground clearance, what exactly makes you think that will change dramatically?......do you have insider info regarding dimensions?....you guys are funny, I have astep daughter that jumps to conclusions how a meal will taste based on ingredients....she gos hungry a lot, but one time she ate Linguine with clams because we told her it was chicken....point is, some have already made their minds up....its their loss as far as Im concerned...they will sell like hotcakes...so, at least you fence sitters have something to bitch about. Please, dont damage your rap by being seen in one...please put on the Groucho disguise....

• Like 1

Come on, 2005Explorer, the point is, it's car-based, not that it IS a car. The Edge is "car-based", too, for crying out loud. Again, the issue is with the assumption that "Oh, it changing from it "looking" like an SUV, so that MUST mean, it will DEFINITELY have a lower ride height and lower tow rating". It's simply not known whether either of those is true. Is it more likely that the ride will be somewhat lower? It's plausible, but again, the Kuga only rides 0.5" lower than the current Escape, so just because it LOOKS lower doesn't mean it IS.

What I'd say is this: Wait at least for the "semi-official" stuff to come out and then we can debate all we want. In the meantime, it's pointless, wouldn't you say?

Like I said I am only going by what I see on the prototype and the concept. By the looks of those it looks like they have lowered it quite a bit. Of course you are right in saying that looks can be deceiving and maybe it is just the low slung hatchback wagon styling that is creating that illusion.

The only thing I am arguing is that I do think there is a market for a small CUV with SUV styling. I think a lot of people are wrongly assuming that most people prefer blending in with a "me-too" crossover. For better or worse you can park a current Escape next to any car looking small crossover and ask a person that has no idea what is based on what which one has the most capability for an adventurous trek here or there and I bet the current Escape would win every time.

Like I have said before the current Escape is only designed for very light off road situations, however if you go on YouTube and some Escape enthusiast websites you would be amazed what people do with Escapes. The suspension and drivetrain is not as robust as a truck based SUV, but still with a little careful consideration an Escape will get you pretty far down a normal trail with its decent ground clearance and short wheelbase. I am not talking rock crawling... you would destroy it, but it does have pretty darn good light off-roading capability.

Assuming that the new Escape has the same tow rating... has as much usable space behind the back seat... has the same or improved ride height... then the only objection that I have is that it looks too much like everything else on the market. I guess Ford has decided after taking a few styling risks it is safer to join the crowd and pull that back in down and curve it up into a car profile.

Is there anything wrong with wanting something that looks a little more trucky? Ford already has the "me too" car look covered in the Edge. I just think that offering 2 CUV's with a lot different personality would be better. This girly rig is what we are getting and I am sure it will be a big hit with the current CR-V customers, but I'd love to see something a little more trucky and adventurous to go up against the rest of the rounded station wagons.

Now will I get one when my current lease is up? I might be forced to because I will only drive a Ford product and I can't really afford to cruise an F-150 around, but will I feel more like a 60 something woman heading to play Bonkos with the ladies then a 30 something guy that likes to mountain bike and ride snowmobiles in the Black Hills? You bet.

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 1

Like I said I am only going by what I see on the prototype and the concept. By the looks of those it looks like they have lowered it quite a bit. Of course you are right in saying that looks can be deceiving and maybe it is just the low slung hatchback wagon styling that is creating that illusion.

The only thing I am arguing is that I do think there is a market for a small CUV with SUV styling. I think a lot of people are wrongly assuming that most people prefer blending in with a "me-too" crossover. For better or worse you can park a current Escape next to any car looking small crossover and ask a person that has no idea what is based on what which one has the most capability for an adventurous trek here or there and I bet the current Escape would win every time.

Like I have said before the current Escape is only designed for very light off road situations, however if you go on YouTube and some Escape enthusiast websites you would be amazed what people do with Escapes. The suspension and drivetrain is not as robust as a truck based SUV, but still with a little careful consideration an Escape will get you pretty far down a normal trail with its decent ground clearance and short wheelbase. I am not talking rock crawling... you would destroy it, but it does have pretty darn good light off-roading capability.

Assuming that the new Escape has the same tow rating... has as much usable space behind the back seat... has the same or improved ride height... then the only objection that I have is that it looks too much like everything else on the market. I guess Ford has decided after taking a few styling risks it is safer to join the crowd and pull that back in down and curve it up into a car profile.

Is there anything wrong with wanting something that looks a little more trucky? Ford already has the "me too" car look covered in the Edge. I just think that offering 2 CUV's with a lot different personality would be better. This girly rig is what we are getting and I am sure it will be a big hit with the current CR-V customers, but I'd love to see something a little more trucky and adventurous to go up against the rest of the rounded station wagons.

so youre old school, I get that, so am I, but I also sell the damn things...and this will KILL the prior model in profitability. Numbers maybe not due morso to ford deliberately limiting supply...they have basically told us we will NEVER be overstocked again...smart move, yes there may be sales lost, but dreaded massive rebates to move old inventory are athing of the past, as is such "hooks" as 0 %....the game has changed, embrace lads. I will add this though as a request...PLEASE Ford...remember that Bronco Concept....slap a little 2.0 eco in that with true offroad capacity and theres another GAMECHANGER

That's pretty, fair, I think--and really all I was asking people to consider. The appearance/looks of a vehicle are so subjective and it's always the buyer's money, so I wouldn't argue with someone not buying the vehicle because they couldn't get over the looks. (I'd never buy an Aztek, for example, for that reason, no matter how good the vehicle itself was).

so youre old school, I get that, so am I, but I also sell the damn things...and this will KILL the prior model in profitability. Numbers maybe not due morso to ford deliberately limiting supply...they have basically told us we will NEVER be overstocked again...smart move, yes there may be sales lost, but dreaded massive rebates to move old inventory are athing of the past, as is such "hooks" as 0 %....the game has changed, embrace lads. I will add this though as a request...PLEASE Ford...remember that Bronco Concept....slap a little 2.0 eco in that with true offroad capacity and theres another GAMECHANGER

I have never said anywhere that they should keep selling the current model. Even though I really like mine I understand that it is time for a new design. There are a lot us that love the idea of driving around in something that looks like a baby Ford Truck even if we can't afford to drive a real one. I'd love to see the Bronco concept come to life to fill the styling void left when the current Escape is discontinued, but I'm not holding my breath. Like I said I might be forced into the new Escape because I only drive Ford and it might be the only vehicle they offer that works for me, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

The Crown Victoria/Escape's days are over.

I don't understand this comment. How does the Escape have anything to do with the Crown Victoria? They are COMPLETELY different vehicles. Not one person on here is calling for the current Escape to carry on without being re-designed for 20 years like the CV. The only debate is the styling direction they are taking with the Escape. That's it.

• Like 1

I think the current Kuga is a pretty good vehicle for a soft off road CUV, and looks nice doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcEQDmdG9iE&NR=1

My feeling is the knowledge that made the Escape so popular, mixed with the Kuga styling and pretty decent driving dynamics the next Escape should be pretty decent competitor.

Maybe I am old fashioned like some have accused, but I will forever love the traditional Ford SUV styling. I know it is just about gone with only the Expedition and Escape left with styling cues that hint back to the '91 Explorer, but I love the tough "I like the outdoors" style. I just don't think the current crop of urban designed, make em look as wimpy as possible Crossovers will ever ignite any sort of emotion in people who have an adventurous, outdoors lifestyle spirit.

You can laugh at what I am saying and I know that most of you do not like or appreciate the traditional Ford SUV style, but I still think the look has its place against all the rest of the urban soccer mom looking Crossovers. You can say it is old fashioned, but really the traditional SUV style is timeless sort of like an L.L. Bean flannel shirt. There just isn't any personality left in the new Crossovers and all they are is a station wagon version of a passenger car. I owned a Fusion and when I decided to get my Escape I wanted something that looked like a true-blue SUV not a station wagon version of the car I was driving.

I guess I am probably the minority around here that appreciates Ford Truck styling in a small SUV and maybe that just has to do with who I am and where I live. Maybe I like it because I feel a little tougher driving around my Escape compared to the person driving their CR-V. I'm not sure what it is, but I do feel there are some pure emotions that drove the entire SUV movement throughout the 90's and early 00's and the new crop doesn't evoke any emotion in me. They all seem the same. Urban station wagons that look like a shoe.

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 1

You know the original Escape was designed for global consumption as well, just like the next one. Paths diverged with the 2008 reskin, but the original Escape was always intended for a very broad audience.

I think Ford NA did a great job with the Escape update in 2008, I think it's a very handsome and functional design and it's hard to criticize (especially when the 2008 Focus came out at the same time). But it's also ubiquitous, it doesn't look quite new or quite old...it's just an appliance.

The Escape does not have alluring design, it's one of those cars that was bought on value and functionality, not emotions. You give people a sexier vehicle with the same capabilities and they will flock to the stores from every corner of the spectrum to snatch one up, and do so with less focus on penny-pinching or incentives. Granted, Ford had no trouble selling the old Escape...but I bet they can charge more for them now.

Itttttttts a Kuga in the Video!!

Not much difference between a Kuga & Fiesta in size, the Kuga centre of gravity is higher making it more unstable than a Fiesta that has much better handling, the Kuga TDI diesel costs twice as much to buy as a Fiesta Econetic diesel and only returns 55 MPG compared to the 88 MPG from the Fiesta diesel.

KUGA

30399449462.jpg

FIESTA

6599623492.jpg

ESCAPE (Anybody got the dimensions for the 2013 model).

Sad to say the nice practical boxy Skoda Yeti with loads of headroom in the rear is probably the best value - its Focus priced, does 65 MPG with its practical boxy shape thats much better than a Kuga with no rear headroom, and probably the best SUV in the world at the moment by miles. Its a shame Ford don't sell something like the Yeti in Europe Clarkson rated it a million times better than a Range Rover. Hope the new Escape is more like the superb boxy market leading Yeti that is sold out & Skoda build quality is 2nd to none in Europe at the moment if Skoda's Yeti was the Kuga then l would buy one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7cX6yPvQBk

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds
  • Like 1

Itttttttts a Kuga in the Video!!

Not much difference between a Kuga & Fiesta in size, the Kuga centre of gravity is higher making it more unstable than a Fiesta that has much better handling, the Kuga TDI diesel costs twice as much to buy as a Fiesta Econetic diesel and only returns 55 MPG compared to the 88 MPG from the Fiesta diesel.

KUGA

30399449462.jpg

FIESTA

6599623492.jpg

ESCAPE (Anybody got the dimensions for the 2013 model).

Sad to say the nice practical boxy Skoda Yeti with loads of headroom in the rear is probably the best value - its Focus priced, does 65 MPG with its practical boxy shape thats much better than a Kuga with no rear headroom, and probably the best SUV in the world at the moment by miles. Its a shame Ford don't sell something like the Yeti in Europe Clarkson rated it a million times better than a Range Rover. Hope the new Escape is more like the superb boxy market leading Yeti that is sold out & Skoda build quality is 2nd to none in Europe at the moment if Skoda's Yeti was the Kuga then l would buy one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7cX6yPvQBk

The differences in headroom is significant, same with rear legroom and cargo.

Edited by BORG

The differences in headroom is significant, same with rear legroom and cargo.

Alright then compare the Fiesta based Fusion that will be replaced by the Fiesta based B-Max soon.

FUSION

Fiesta based Ford Fusion Costs £12,395 ($20,718)

28199548422.jpg

KUGA

For double the money, costs £25,500 ($41,047).

30399449462.jpg

Would like to see the new Escape look more like a mini Explorer rather than a dull unpractical Kuga shape, the Skoda Yeti has a more Explorers practical shape which won Auto Express & Top Gears car of the year award. Skoda's boxy Yeti returns 10 more MPG than the Kidnetic Kuga spacewasting rear headroom . Since when have Americans like being cramped up in the back of an SUV with no Kuga rear headroom just 1 more inch than a Fiesta small car?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWShI283Ur4

• Like 1

Alright then compare the Fiesta based Fusion that will be replaced by the Fiesta based B-Max soon.

:headscratch:

The only place the old Fusion has any distinct advantage is rear head room. Kuga still offers a larger cargo area. And what are the width dimensions? I'm guessing the Kuga trumps those of the Fusion, Fiesta, and B-Max considerably.

And well, this argument is all entirely moot until we see the '13 Escape dimensions. If they are identical to the current Kuga, then perhaps there is some concern to be had. If they are closer to the Vertrak's dimensions, then there is absolutely nothing to your complaints at all.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1

Would like to see the new Escape look more like a mini Explorer rather than a dull unpractical Kuga shape, the Skoda Yeti has a more Explorers practical shape which won Auto Express & Top Gears car of the year award. Skoda's boxy Yeti returns 10 more MPG than the Kidnetic Kuga spacewasting rear headroom . Since when have Americans like being cramped up in the back of an SUV with no Kuga rear headroom just 1 more inch than a Fiesta small car?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWShI283Ur4

+1. I can't believe more people people don't feel the same way... or maybe they do, but they just don't want to critize Ford over it. I do see what Jellymoulds is talking about as far as the Kuga appearing to look a lot like a Fiesta even if it is a little larger. I would rather see the new Explorer being the inspiration for the next Escape design instead of the Fiesta... but what do I know.

• Like 1

+1. I can't believe more people people don't feel the same way... or maybe they do, but they just don't want to critize Ford over it. I do see what Jellymoulds is talking about as far as the Kuga appearing to look a lot like a Fiesta even if it is a little larger. I would rather see the new Explorer being the inspiration for the next Escape design instead of the Fiesta... but what do I know.

The Explorer to me looks like an up-sized Edge. The Kuga looks like a downsized Edge. :shrug: They're all CUV's with somewhat car-like appearances.

Let's also take something else into consideration here: aerodynamics. The current Escape pretty much has none.

• Like 1