Bulid it and we will come

I drive a 2010 Mercury Milan with AWD because I want to be able to get around in all types of weather. Problem Is, I wanted to buy a Mustang, and I still would when my lease is up but one thing will hold me back...The Mustang is not available with AWD? Why is This??

In areas such as the Northeast, AWD would help in going the long way when you have tremendous amount of snow and ice that we face here. Yes, I can drive a RWD or a FWD car with no problem in the snow, but the Mustang would be my all around choice for driving pleasure, because I do not fancy "white knuckle" slipping and sliding...I got around just fine with the AWD on my trucks as well as my Milan, and I am sure there would be enough of a take rate to make the option viable.

Come on Ford, Build an AWD Mustang and We Will Buy It! Alan, are you listening??

Mustang = RWD.

I don't expect that to change anytime soon, nor should it.

why shouldn't it? it could be an option for those who want it. if ford does develop a world rwd platform it will likely have awd capabilities. if the platform has the ability then there would be no reason not to give the mustang awd.

A RWD car with electric/hybrid front wheels would be a performance boost. Traction is what's limiting the GT500, not HP.

I don't see that happening without a significant weight penalty though. Plus when everything is getting more complicated, it's good that the Mustang has tried to remain as simple as it possibly can.

I drive a 2010 Mercury Milan with AWD because I want to be able to get around in all types of weather. Problem Is, I wanted to buy a Mustang, and I still would when my lease is up but one thing will hold me back...The Mustang is not available with AWD? Why is This??

...Come on Ford, Build an AWD Mustang and We Will Buy It! Alan, are you listening??

imho what you really want is a COUGAR!

All the nice mustangs are around 50,000 now...WTF do you want....So much for a affordable sports car.

:headscratch:

The base 305-horsepower coupe starts at $22,310. That's several thousand dollars less than my 305-horsepower Cobra cost 14 years ago. The Mustang GT starts at $29,310. Not bad either for a 400-horsepower sport coupe if you ask me. If you want something even more powerful and exclusive, yeah, Ford is willing to take your money, but to say that the Mustang is no longer affordable is simply being dishonest.

:headscratch:

The base 305-horsepower coupe starts at $22,310. That's several thousand dollars less than my 305-horsepower Cobra cost 14 years ago. The Mustang GT starts at $29,310. Not bad either for a 400-horsepower sport coupe if you ask me. If you want something even more powerful and exclusive, yeah, Ford is willing to take your money, but to say that the Mustang is no longer affordable is simply being dishonest.

$22,310 is fine, but that $7K jump is significant. It's that 33% jump from base to GT that I would find difficult.

I'm sure the GT comes with features that the base does not, but if you're like me, you'd be willing to forgo (many of) those features to get a base+V8 for a couple grand more than the base.

Of course the idea (for Ford) is to make money, so I can't blame them for puffing up the (profitable) packaging, but for someone like me, that's enough to get me look at others' products. (in addition to--not instead of--the Mustang)

Back in the day, I'd guess the LX-5.0 was a better seller than the GT, resulting in greater profits overall.

Edited by RangerM

$22,310 is fine, but that $7K jump is significant. It's that 33% jump from base to GT that I would find difficult.

I'm sure the GT comes with features that the base does not, but if you're like me, you'd be willing to forgo (many of) those features to get a base+V8 for a couple grand more than the base.

Of course the idea (for Ford) is to make money, so I can't blame them for puffing up the (profitable) packaging, but for someone like me, that's enough to get me look at others' products. (in addition to--not instead of--the Mustang)

Back in the day, I'd guess the LX-5.0 was a better seller than the GT, resulting in greater profits overall.

Which other comparable RWD V8 product are you going to look at that costs significantly less?

The Camaro SS that starts at $31,070?

The Genesis coupe--- oh wait, that doesn't offer a V8 at all.

The Challenger R/T that starts at $29,895?

Edited by NickF1011

Which other comparable RWD V8 product are you going to look at that costs significantly less?

The Camaro SS that starts at $31,070?

The Genesis coupe--- oh wait, that doesn't offer a V8 at all.

The Challenger R/T that starts at $29,895?

You misunderstand. For me it's more about (perceived) value than cost.

I'm not suggesting that there necessarily are other cars that cost less (and I'm not beholden to a V8), but if the "hot" model of a car has a 33% price premium over its more pedestrian model, my natural tendency is to wonder if the higher model is overpriced, or the lower model is a bargain.

I'm not saying the Mustang isn't preferable, but if that price jump is enough to get someone to comparison shop, even just to look, then it becomes more likely that the sale will be lost.

I'm not suggesting that there necessarily are other cars that cost less (and I'm not beholden to a V8), but if the "hot" model of a car has a 33% price premium over its more pedestrian model, my natural tendency is to wonder if the higher model is overpriced, or the lower model is a bargain.

I'm not saying the Mustang isn't preferable, but if that price jump is enough to get someone to comparison shop, even just to look, then it becomes more likely that the sale will be lost.

If what they go comparison shop it against costs more than the vehicle they were originally looking at, I don't see how that will translate into a lost sale in almost any case.

If what they go comparison shop it against costs more than the vehicle they were originally looking at, I don't see how that will translate into a lost sale in almost any case.

Because at the other dealership, you're standing in front of the competitors' advocate.

"If you're willing to purchase today, then I can......"

Obviously, if the internet is your means to comparison shop, this is effectively moot, however do most people use the internet first, or do they go to the dealer first? I honestly don't know.

Because at the other dealership, you're standing in front of the competitors' advocate.

"If you're willing to purchase today, then I can......"

They'd get the same spiel from the first dealer before even leaving to look at the competition.

Obviously, if the internet is your means to comparison shop, this is effectively moot, however do most people use the internet first, or do they go to the dealer first? I honestly don't know.

The vast majority do research online first.

I don't think it works that way. I think people decide which model they want, then they compare those models. So the price difference between similarly equipped mustang V6 and V8 models won't be as high. And if you're just shopping on price you won't consider the GT anyway.

I just don't see how this influences comparison shopping one way or the other or would contribute to lost sales.

They'd get the same spiel from the first dealer before even leaving to look at the competition.

The vast majority do research online first.

I don't think it works that way. I think people decide which model they want, then they compare those models. So the price difference between similarly equipped mustang V6 and V8 models won't be as high. And if you're just shopping on price you won't consider the GT anyway.

I just don't see how this influences comparison shopping one way or the other or would contribute to lost sales.

I certainly don't claim to be a know-it-all regarding car sales, but my thoughts originate from what a car dealer said to me once, "Lose their attention, and lose the sale"

I certainly don't claim to be a know-it-all regarding car sales, but my thoughts originate from what a car dealer said to me once, "Lose their attention, and lose the sale"

How long ago did that dealer tell you that? The consumer of today comes into a dealership far more educated about pricing and competition than ever before. There's nothing about the Mustang's pricing structure that would immediately put it at any disadvantage to its direct competitors. Any sale the Mustang "loses" because of its pricing is likely offset by the "losses" its competitors suffer for the exact same reason.

How long ago did that dealer tell you that? The consumer of today comes into a dealership far more educated about pricing and competition than ever before. There's nothing about the Mustang's pricing structure that would immediately put it at any disadvantage to its direct competitors. Any sale the Mustang "loses" because of its pricing is likely offset by the "losses" its competitors suffer for the exact same reason.

It's been awhile, admittedly. Times change, I suppose.

Anyhow... :backtotopic:

I think that if Ford offered AWD as an option on the Mustang it really could increase sales. While there are plenty of people who live in areas where the Mustang would be fine all year and others who keep it as a summer car, there are those of us who live in areas that get plenty of snow and don't have the ability to have two cars.

I wouldn't be too quick to advocate only AWD versions, though. That would be a mistake.

For the regular V6 and future EB4 RWD is fine, even for the 5.0 90% of the time. But for people like you who live in the north, or for the potential European Market, and definitely for the 500GT I think an AWD option would be a great benefit.