Buyers Quick to Embrace New Explorer

2011 Explorer 2WD 17/23 mpg 7.9 0-60

97 Exp 4.0L OHV 14/18 mpg 10.5 0-60

97 Exp 4.0 SOHC 14/19 mpg 8.1 0-60

97 Exp 5.0L OHV 12/17 mpg 8.8 0-60

2002 Explorer 4.6L 15/21 mpg 8.6 0-60

Land Rover Evoque...2.0 FORD eco engine, 3800lb curb weight...28mpgs...

right there with you, and Im wary of the engine in high curb weight vehicles...inertia alone means off the line to have any semblance of respectable 0-60 means the foots in the throttle....and thus mileage would suffer...i hope I am wrong...but once again it sbeen approx a year since they announced it would be in the Edge and Explorer....Im worried theres a reason its been so long...NVH can be tamed.....coming no-where near speculated mileage claims is a larger hurdle...

Well we do know that the new 2.0 Ecoboost will have around 240 lb foot of torque available from down low so performance shouldn't be a problem. We also have to consider the application - a FWD Explorer that's used mostly for people transport. If the City is up around 19-20 then I think the rest will fall into place...I have a feeling that the highway will be 27-28 mpg like Taurus and determined more by weight shifted than engine capacity....

Our Aussie road reports on Ecoboost Mondeo paint the 200 hp version as a nice performance luxury engine, a slight amount of lag but then eager to get going...so lets hope this migrates across to the heavier Explorer as a competent economy engine, one more capable than GM's weak kneed 3.0 SIDI V6....

Last year, Ford sold 60,687 Explorers. By last week, sales had reached about 64,000, surpassing total 2010 Explorer sales. And they are profitable sales: Buyers are spending an average of $37,000 for a higher-end model, which is about $5,000 more than the average price paid for last year's model.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110630/AUTO01/106300360/Buyers-quick-to-embrace-revamped-Ford-Explorer#ixzz1QnDlEkUo

Great news for average transaction prices, it looks like Ford has now supplied a D3 SUV with the right mix of qualities and name.

Edited by jpd80

I guess I didn't really make my point clear enough. I wasn't trying to argue that the 2.0 EB would perform as well as the 5.0, except in terms of power numbers. My point though is that the weakest available engine in the Explorer will be as powerful as the strongest available engine not long ago. Of course the vehicle is heavier, but I imagine that despite that, the 2.0 EB will have acceleration at least on par, and likely superior to the cruddy 160-170 horsepower 4.0 OHV Explorers of yore.

Seems people want to be class-leading at everything at once. It has gotten a lot better in recent years, but the better performing powertrains in a straight line are still not likely to be the most friendly ones at the pump. People have to be willing to take a hit on acceleration if they want to spend less keeping it fueled up.

The 4.0 in my 2002 Explorer has always been more than adaquate for the vehicle's purpose. It isn't a Mustang I don't expect it to accelerate like one.

The 4.0 in my 2002 Explorer has always been more than adaquate for the vehicle's purpose. It isn't a Mustang I don't expect it to accelerate like one.

Exactly! And how many folks actually use the full potential anyway? I'm sure the 2.# EB (whether it be 2.0 or 2.3 or whatever), it will merge just fine on the highway without the need to use the entire pedal. I have NEVER needed WOT to merge...ever! Not even in my slow as hell '86 Bronco II, not even towing my 6k lb travel trailer with my 5.4 F150. I just don't understand the quest for more and more power.

• Like 1