USA Final Space Shuttle Launch

DAILY MAIL

Lightning struck just a third of a mile from space shuttle Atlantis today, as it waits on its launch pad in Cape Canaveral for the final flight of the 30-year program.

NASA officials say they haven't detected any damage from the strike, but they are making thorough checks of all systems to be sure.

However, the thunderstorm lingers over Brevard County, Florida, meaning the weather isn't cutting Nasa any breaks.

While the weather is set to improve slightly over the weekend, Friday's forecast would have to get worse before he'd call off the launch, mission management team leader Mike Moses said.

A rain-free, storm-free zone is needed 23miles around, among other things, in order for Atlantis to take off.

article-2009396-0CC6BB1300000578-410_634x955.jpg

Launch director Mike Leinbach doesn't just want a hole in the clouds for Atlantis to sneak through, he wants no clouds for this historic send-off - the last of the 30-year shuttle programme.

Between 750,000 and one million people are expected to jam the area for the launch, rivalling the crowds that gathered for the Apollo moon shots.

Perhaps millions more will be watching on television.

article-2011378-0CB9296200000578-651_634x776.jpg

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1RVMGOOch

Absolutely awesome bit of USA technology, its a very sad day to see space shuttle program is coming to an end. No doubt in 25 years time the conspiracy theorists will say it never happened, Concorde never existed & men never went to the moon. But some of us with a few grey hairs on our heads know better, today is one of those very special moments snap shots in time when technology that really is brilliant comes to an end - enjoy the moment.

Lets hope its delayed until July 16th to coincide with my all time very special favourite moments in time one of those very rare "Excellence in Engineering" moments way back in 1969 a very special year (No it was not the maiden flights of the Boeing 747 or Concorde maiden flights or the launch of the Capri, but they were nice moments as well that l was lucky enough to have watched at the time - enjoy the moment).

Very sad times we are living in today, the Space Coast in Florida could become the Ghost Coast.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds
  • Like 1

The private sector isn't being used for the future of space exploration.

Space-X will be so pleased. :hysterical:

Actually, the private sector looks like it will be able to do quite well. This is because the really hard work was funded 40 years ago by NASA, which resulted in settled, reliable, man-rated hydrogen/oxygen rocket motors plus the development of materials that can stand the vacuum, temperature stress and radiation. Until we develop alternative drive technology, the paid-for, established oxygen-hydrogen rocket motors are as good as it gets, for specific impulse, without going to toxic chemical propellants.

Besides, there may be other government vehicles. Bill Sweetman, at Aviation Week is on record as saying that the USAF has a small 2-4 seater mini-shuttle that is launched on top of a TItan IIIC, as well as robotic mini-shuttles that have been in orbit for 4-6 months at a time (the unmanned craft have been acknowledged, the USAF vehicle is still "black"). Apparently these pilotless vehicles have dramatic orbital-changing capabilities which have the Russians and the Chinese concerned about the US capturing satellites. :)

DAILY MAIL

Lightning struck just a third of a mile from space shuttle Atlantis today, as it waits on its launch pad in Cape Canaveral for the final flight of the 30-year program.

NASA officials say they haven't detected any damage from the strike, but they are making thorough checks of all systems to be sure.

However, the thunderstorm lingers over Brevard County, Florida, meaning the weather isn't cutting Nasa any breaks.

While the weather is set to improve slightly over the weekend, Friday's forecast would have to get worse before he'd call off the launch, mission management team leader Mike Moses said.

A rain-free, storm-free zone is needed 23miles around, among other things, in order for Atlantis to take off.

article-2009396-0CC6BB1300000578-410_634x955.jpg

Launch director Mike Leinbach doesn't just want a hole in the clouds for Atlantis to sneak through, he wants no clouds for this historic send-off - the last of the 30-year shuttle programme.

Between 750,000 and one million people are expected to jam the area for the launch, rivalling the crowds that gathered for the Apollo moon shots.

Perhaps millions more will be watching on television.

article-2011378-0CB9296200000578-651_634x776.jpg

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1RVMGOOch

Absolutely awesome bit of USA technology, its a very sad day to see space shuttle program is coming to an end. No doubt in 25 years time the conspiracy theorists will say it never happened, Concorde never existed & men never went to the moon. But some of us with a few grey hairs on our heads know better, today is one of those very special moments snap shots in time when technology that really is brilliant comes to an end - enjoy the moment.

Lets hope its delayed until July 16th to coincide with my all time very special favourite moments in time one of those very rare "Excellence in Engineering" moments way back in 1969 a very special year (No it was not the maiden flights of the Boeing 747 or Concorde maiden flights or the launch of the Capri, but they were nice moments as well that l was lucky enough to have watched at the time - enjoy the moment).

Very sad times we are living in today, the Space Coast in Florida could become the Ghost Coast.

Thanks for the thoughts and the neat pics, FJM.

I'm one of those with a few grey hairs myself. I was too young to recognize the significance of Alan Shepard becoming the first American in space. But I distinctly remember when John Glenn was the first man in orbit. Our family was on a vacation. We were by the pool at a little motel, and all the transistor radios were blaring out coverage of John Glenn's orbit. I had to have my dad explain what "orbit" means. My little brother seemed to grasp the concept better than I, joyously repeating over and over again, "We're going into OH-or-bit!" Our family laughed about that for decades.

My folks gave me a plastic model of one of the Gemini capsules (the kind you construct with glue). I didn't really understand the reason why it was supposed to separate in two. I think I glued the whole thing together. But I remember non-stop news coverage of the first "rendezvous," which was a major milestone and technological breakthrough that enabled the Apollo program to proceed.

Of course I was watching on TV with my family when Neil Armstrong stepped down that ladder -- it will be 42 years ago next Saturday. We were all transfixed by what we were seeing on our black-and-white Magnavox TV. I remember my dad cracking, "Well, it's amazing what you can get for a billion dollars." I didn't care. I don't think he did, either: For the record, my parents, in their retirement, have been devoted volunteers at the Challenger Center in Peoria, Arizona. Suffice it to say that they are big friends of the Space Program.

It's hard to fathom the advances that NASA made from the short time Alan Shepard became the first American in space, on May 5, 1961 -- a mere 15-minute flight -- to landing men on the moon -- a 250,000 mile journey one way -- a mere eight years later.

We always had the science, but it took the technology and engineering a while to catch up. And we had the funding and political and popular support, back then. The same holds true today, with the science, and maybe with the technology and engineering. But not so much with the funding and the political and popular support.

Once the economy recovers (which I believe it will), and we have a truly visionary leader, we will send a manned flight to Mars -- maybe in our lifetime.

I applaud the efforts of the likes of Sir Richard Branson of Virgin Air to introduce commercial spaceflights to tourists, but let's face it: His proposition of sending wealthy tourists on a short ride into space -- ala Alan Shepard -- does nothing to advance human exploration.

No, human exploration of this magnitude and at this level requires a public/private partnership. Christopher Columbus's voyage was sponsored by the King of Spain. Sir Edmund Hillary's expedition to conquer Mount Everest was sponsored by the British Government (and make no mistake: That expedition was extremely well-planned and thought out -- and well financed by the British government -- and it was conducted like a military expedition. It was a giant undertaking, involving many people both publicly employed and privately contracted). The day Hillary conquered Mount Everest was a big, big day for the Brits. It was a MAJOR conquest. Congratulations! And so it has always been with NASA. The Space Program, since its inception, has been a public/private partnership. There are flaws in this type of relationship, with congressional representatives fighting over appropriations to contractors in their respective districts -- with some people blaming the Challenger disaster on the fact that Morton Thiokol of Utah was chiefly responsible, and questioning why contracts for the Space Program should be neatly awarded to each of the 50 states.

Still, if we want to go to Mars and beyond, Sir Richard Branson is not the man to do it. It's going to take a major cooperative effort between government and private industry, just like it has always been.

And nationalistic support behind such an endeavor has proven to be helpful, too.

There was a certain day in my life when I realized that I had rounded the corner, that time really wasn't on my side, and the best was not yet to come. I feel today that the same moment has come to pass for our country. Our leaders no longer believe that excellence is a virtue. Rather than investing in the best and brightest they attempt to raise the average by elimination of the exceptional. The turning point is past. Our greatest accomplishments now are a part of our past, not the promise of our future.

• Like 1

We saw the spectacular launch from about 13 miles away! It was a tremendous feeling-so proud of our country!. We heard the roar and saw the gold flares coming from the craft- amongst the clouds- beyond words: ,We usually see it from our front yard, or hear the boom coming in, but happened to be in Merritt Island that day.

Where has the time gone? Yes I too remember Alan Shepard's flight.

Don't realize how blessed we are.

Hope to buy the 2012 Explorer and join the Fordies!

There was a certain day in my life when I realized that I had rounded the corner, that time really wasn't on my side, and the best was not yet to come. I feel today that the same moment has come to pass for our country. Our leaders no longer believe that excellence is a virtue. Rather than investing in the best and brightest they attempt to raise the average by elimination of the exceptional. The turning point is past. Our greatest accomplishments now are a part of our past, not the promise of our future.

I'm afraid you are correct. I the conservatives had been the leaders in Spain the new world would be run by American Indians, but of course they would not be called American.

Thanks for the thoughts and the neat pics, FJM.

I'm one of those with a few grey hairs myself. I was too young to recognize the significance of Alan Shepard becoming the first American in space. But I distinctly remember when John Glenn was the first man in orbit. Our family was on a vacation. We were by the pool at a little motel, and all the transistor radios were blaring out coverage of John Glenn's orbit. I had to have my dad explain what "orbit" means. My little brother seemed to grasp the concept better than I, joyously repeating over and over again, "We're going into OH-or-bit!" Our family laughed about that for decades.

My folks gave me a plastic model of one of the Gemini capsules (the kind you construct with glue). I didn't really understand the reason why it was supposed to separate in two. I think I glued the whole thing together. But I remember non-stop news coverage of the first "rendezvous," which was a major milestone and technological breakthrough that enabled the Apollo program to proceed.

Of course I was watching on TV with my family when Neil Armstrong stepped down that ladder -- it will be 42 years ago next Saturday. We were all transfixed by what we were seeing on our black-and-white Magnavox TV. I remember my dad cracking, "Well, it's amazing what you can get for a billion dollars." I didn't care. I don't think he did, either: For the record, my parents, in their retirement, have been devoted volunteers at the Challenger Center in Peoria, Arizona. Suffice it to say that they are big friends of the Space Program.

It's hard to fathom the advances that NASA made from the short time Alan Shepard became the first American in space, on May 5, 1961 -- a mere 15-minute flight -- to landing men on the moon -- a 250,000 mile journey one way -- a mere eight years later.

We always had the science, but it took the technology and engineering a while to catch up. And we had the funding and political and popular support, back then. The same holds true today, with the science, and maybe with the technology and engineering. But not so much with the funding and the political and popular support.

Once the economy recovers (which I believe it will), and we have a truly visionary leader, we will send a manned flight to Mars -- maybe in our lifetime.

I applaud the efforts of the likes of Sir Richard Branson of Virgin Air to introduce commercial spaceflights to tourists, but let's face it: His proposition of sending wealthy tourists on a short ride into space -- ala Alan Shepard -- does nothing to advance human exploration.

No, human exploration of this magnitude and at this level requires a public/private partnership. Christopher Columbus's voyage was sponsored by the King of Spain. Sir Edmund Hillary's expedition to conquer Mount Everest was sponsored by the British Government (and make no mistake: That expedition was extremely well-planned and thought out -- and well financed by the British government -- and it was conducted like a military expedition. It was a giant undertaking, involving many people both publicly employed and privately contracted). The day Hillary conquered Mount Everest was a big, big day for the Brits. It was a MAJOR conquest. Congratulations! And so it has always been with NASA. The Space Program, since its inception, has been a public/private partnership. There are flaws in this type of relationship, with congressional representatives fighting over appropriations to contractors in their respective districts -- with some people blaming the Challenger disaster on the fact that Morton Thiokol of Utah was chiefly responsible, and questioning why contracts for the Space Program should be neatly awarded to each of the 50 states.

Still, if we want to go to Mars and beyond, Sir Richard Branson is not the man to do it. It's going to take a major cooperative effort between government and private industry, just like it has always been.

And nationalistic support behind such an endeavor has proven to be helpful, too.

Nice post Roadtrip.

UK had a space program 1957-1972, it used to test rockets off the Isle of Wight near the famous yacht racing venue at the Needles, the Black Knight rockets were tested there. Have visited this site on a few times.

LINK

Watching the Apollo 11 launch on TV was one of those very special moments in time, that you look back at and never forget like Churchill's State funeral, JF Kennedy assassination, watching England winning the soccer World Cup in 1966 whilst on holiday, our Enery Cooper knocking down Clay & the Thriller in Manilla.

July 16th 1969 was a very special moment in time one of my all time favourite moments, we watched the Apollo 11 launch on my Dads B&W Rediffusion television set. The Apollo 11 Space programme was the greatest technological feat in human history. It will be a very sad in the future watching American space programmes being reduced to watching US Astronauts having to hitch a ride off the Russians, where did it all go sadly wrong?.

The turning point is past. Our greatest accomplishments now are a part of our past, not the promise of our future.

You have a bad attitude problem. Perhaps it's that you are unaware of the revolution in post-graduate education and information transfer that has happened because of the web.

For the first time in human history students and scientists can share research, ideas and concepts with others easily and quickly. Before the web, disseminating knowledge was slow, cumbersome and expensive, through university libraries and published peer-review journals, like Nature and the Lancet. Now, a post-graduate astrophysicist at The Perimeter Institute in Waterloo can confer REAL-TIME in a chat with colleagues at, say, MIT.

We are just starting to see the products from this supercharging of knowledge, especially in proteonomics, genetics and nano-technology.

You say "Our greatest accomplishments now are a part of our past"; I say "You ain't seen nuthin', yet". :)

• Like 2

Nice post Roadtrip.

Thanks!

I mentioned in my post that my parents had served as volunteers at the Challenger Center in Arizona. I talked to them on Sunday, and they are both heartbroken over the end of our manned space flight program. My dad said that over the past ten years, by his count, he's had the privilege of meeting 25 shuttle astronauts. He said they tend to be either former test pilots or Ph.D.s (or both), but all of them are the nicest people you would ever care to meet. The shuttle pilots/astronauts would go to the Challenger Center for speaking engagements (particularly for kids), but also for corporate pow-wows, where they would conduct team-building exercises.

My dad gave me an interesting anecdote about one former shuttle astronaut he met. He couldn't remember her name when we were talking, but he said she was no more than about five feet tall. He asked her if she ever did an EVA (Extra Vehicular Activity -- a spacewalk). She said, "No, I could never do that." My dad asked why not. She said, "Look at me. I'm too small. Those suits cost at least a half a million bucks. NASA isn't gonna make an EVA suit just to fit little ol' me!"

UK had a space program 1957-1972, it used to test rockets off the Isle of Wight near the famous yacht racing venue at the Needles, the Black Knight rockets were tested there. Have visited this site on a few times.

LINK

Thanks for the info and the link. I had no idea. If it's any consolation, you guys do continue to have your own space program in the form of ICBMs on the Royal Navy Fleet, though (I hope).

Watching the Apollo 11 launch on TV was one of those very special moments in time, that you look back at and never forget like Churchill's State funeral, JF Kennedy assassination, watching England winning the soccer World Cup in 1966 whilst on holiday, our Enery Cooper knocking down Clay & the Thriller in Manilla.

July 16th 1969 was a very special moment in time one of my all time favourite moments, we watched the Apollo 11 launch on my Dads B&W Rediffusion television set. The Apollo 11 Space programme was the greatest technological feat in human history. It will be a very sad in the future watching American space programmes being reduced to watching US Astronauts having to hitch a ride off the Russians, where did it all go sadly wrong?.

"It will be a very sad in the future watching American space programmes being reduced to watching US Astronauts having to hitch a ride off the Russians, where did it all go sadly wrong?."

It is sad and wrong. And especially, it's ironic, considering that NASA (formerly NACA -- the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics) was "formed largely in response to Soviet space achievements. NACA became the nucleus of the new agency, and all NACA activities and facilities were folded into NASA. The major focus became space research."

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Evolution_of_Technology/NACA/Tech1.htm

Don't know if you've ever seen it, but if you're a fan of the U.S. space program, you should buy a 20th anniversary copy of the epic movie The Right Stuff, based on the even better book by the same name by Tom Wolfe. While researching his book, which was to be the story of the seven Mercury Astronauts, Wolfe traced their backgrounds back to the days in the post-war days when test pilots died at a rate of about 50 percent attempting to break the speed of sound (750 mph). (My dad claims that since the war was over, those guys were just looking for work.) Some of them were war heroes, like Chuck Yeager, who didn't believe that the sound barrier even existed -- in spite of what all the engineers had insisted. Yeager proved those engineers and theoreticists wrong one day in 1946 by crawling into a little Bell X-1 and climbing into history. And then Yeager and another test pilot by the name of Scott Crossfield competed against one another through Mach 2 and beyond. Yeager (who was arguably the best test pilot of all time), wasn't selected for the Mercury program because he didn't have a college degree. That was left to his successors, who went on to become astronauts. The movie illustrates the sense of a national mission and a sense of urgency during the early days of the Space Program. We were, in fact, in a "space race" with the Russians!

And now, 50 years later, it's almost like the Russians have won that "space race," with, as you said, American astronauts having to hitch a ride with the Russians.

Yes, we have the touchy feely ISS, which I concede is probably conducting worthwhile science.

But that evil George W. Bush wasn't satisfied, and wanted to go back to the moon -- he stated as such back in 2004. Barack Obama shut it down -- shut the whole manned spaceflight program down. I guess manned space flight doesn't fit with Obama's vision for our country. Meanwhile, thousands of NASA workers will be laid off after the conclusion of the mission of STS-135.

Very sad and very wrong.

The biggest problem these days is the cost of it...look at what happened 20 years after the end of WW2...tech was going full bore out till it just got plain too expensive to afford in the Aerospace industry. We had visions of Supersonic transports and civilians traveling to space, till we saw we couldn't afford them...

The biggest problem these days is the cost of it...look at what happened 20 years after the end of WW2...tech was going full bore out till it just got plain too expensive to afford in the Aerospace industry. We had visions of Supersonic transports and civilians traveling to space, till we saw we couldn't afford them...

For 50 years they could afford it, then some bright spark in the USA says ooh l don't think we can afford this MMMmmm?

We have the same problem in the UK they have closed all our public toilets, swimming pools & libraries down, but it had nothing to do with the space race. Manchester now has only one public toilet for 2.5 million people.

We have become a nation of "NON PRODUCERS" is more like the real truth the wealth creators have gone, so we found we could no longer afford a public crapper, library, fitness leisure centre & swimming pool in every British town, they are getting closed shutdown because we can no longer afford it. We are not as good as we once used to be, and we can't go on living beyond our means if we can't afford it.

LINK

For 50 years they could afford it, then some bright spark in the USA says ooh l don't think we can afford this MMMmmm?

We have the same problem in the UK they have closed all our public toilets, swimming pools & libraries down, but it had nothing to do with the space race. Manchester now has only one public toilet for 2.5 million people.

We have become a nation of "NON PRODUCERS" is more like the real truth the wealth creators have gone, so we found we could no longer afford a public crapper, library, fitness leisure centre & swimming pool in every British town, they are getting closed shutdown because we can no longer afford it. We are not as good as we once used to be, and we can't go on living beyond our means if we can't afford it.

LINK

WTF does a public crapper have to do with this? I'd hope that everyone in the UK now has indoor plumbing making a public crapper an acynomism...much in the same way public pay telephones have been nearly eliminated in the US by cell phones

The thing I was trying to point out that advancement is a great thing, but if it takes millions of dollars to make it run and you can't make money off it..what is the point? Look at the Concord....it was a rich man toy that never made much money.

Same thing with some defense projects...the B-58 was an technological wonder for its time, but its fuel costs for a single wing of bombers was roughly the same as 2-3 B-52 wings, which offered a heaver payload and was more flexible then the B-58.

WTF does a public crapper have to do with this? I'd hope that everyone in the UK now has indoor plumbing making a public crapper an acynomism...much in the same way public pay telephones have been nearly eliminated in the US by cell phones

The thing I was trying to point out that advancement is a great thing, but if it takes millions of dollars to make it run and you can't make money off it..what is the point? Look at the Concord....it was a rich man toy that never made much money.

Same thing with some defense projects...the B-58 was an technological wonder for its time, but its fuel costs for a single wing of bombers was roughly the same as 2-3 B-52 wings, which offered a heaver payload and was more flexible then the B-58.

Public Crappers are very important when you want go out leave your house, l have have already found it does impact me silversvt we went down the coast to our favourite beach that is close to the town of Littlehamton, but one side is remote but has the finest sandy beaches a very big public car park & 6 public toilets next it. Within about 20 minutes my daughter wanted to spend a penny go to the loo & found they had all be padlocked up, so we had to drive a couple of miles to the nearest pub quickly. 1,000's use to use the beach & spend all day there there was barely a 100 on the beach. Yes you and me can pee in the sea, but its not very lady like for women to do it. I have found on several occasions we have had to divert by 10 minutes here or there whilst we have been out due to tiolets being closed.

l said space race in my post it had nothing to do with public crappers, libraries, swimming pools health leisure centres that have been closed in just about every town in the country because we can't pay afford them anymore when you become a nation of "NON PRODUCERS" being the common link with your space programme.

Concorde always made money for BA they only had to fill it with more than 33 PAX to make a profit it was running near full most of the time, Air France crash sealed its fate not money the French being French blamed it on the American Continental Airlines DC-10 rubbing strip that fell of a thrust reverser (I thought the cattle bar fitted on the main wheel would have stopped it) & poor quality American tyres, AF used Good Years & BA used Dunlops which were much better. Later they found a main wheel spacer on a Air France fitters workbench that was found to be missing on the AF Concorde & might have caused wheel vibration but they blamed it on the Continental Airline Mechanic in the end. Concorde was living a lucky charmed life for a long time the design was said to be found to be flawed for having main wheel tyres sitting in front of the Olympus engine intakes.

B-52's what a fab aircraft l love it. How old are they now?

Yes you and me can pee in the sea, but its not very lady like for women to do it. I have found on several occasions we have had to divert by 10 minutes here or there whilst we have been out due to tiolets being closed.

It's the dam ocean man...just walk out 20 feet, lay back, and let her flow! Nobody will have a clue you're (or she is) taking a leak! :hysterical:

It's the dam ocean man...just walk out 20 feet, lay back, and let her flow! Nobody will have a clue you're (or she is) taking a leak! :hysterical:

LOL what about No2's mine always float dude. Can you give me any tips?

My wife or daughter won't pee or crap in the sea the wife does not even like to fart, l remember when l took to the wife RAC rally to watch one of the forest stages up north when we were courting, she asked a RAC marshall where the loo is, he replied " You go where the bears go" in a classic Lancashire accent, it still tickles her makes her laugh today, but she was not amused at the time.

I think we are lowing the tone a bit on the space shuttle thread, how did we get from going to the moon to having a crap?

LOL what about No2's mine always float dude. Can you give me any tips?

My wife or daughter won't pee or crap in the sea the wife does not even like to fart, l remember when l took to the wife RAC rally to watch one of the forest stages up north when we were courting, she asked a RAC marshall where the loo is, he replied " You go where the bears go" in a classic Lancashire accent, it still tickles her makes her laugh today, but she was not amused at the time.

I think we are lowing the tone a bit on the space shuttle thread, how did we get from going to the moon to having a crap?

Ha ha...how do they crap in space anyway? Expensive toilet I'm guessing! :hysterical:

Ha ha...how do they crap in space anyway? Expensive toilet I'm guessing! :hysterical:

I guess they would get Scotty to beam them down into a McDonalds loo.

My wife would pretend she noticed a tile loose on the outside of the spacestation go outside and undo the zip up the arse end of the space suit & do a sneaky one & then panic when it floated round past the main windscreen.

I always wondered where all sick goes when they chuck up inside their space helmet ?

$90 Million space toilet clogged. And you think YOU have "floaters". Maybe it'll take a $1 Million space plunger.

Thanks for posting it, l watched them describe the waste system in the video & l cant help but think the US taxpayer has just been ripped off big time.

http://www.space.com/10168-space-toilet-technique-nasa-video.html

It's good to know that Atlantis and her crew made it back safely, and the mission of STS-135 was an astounding success.

Someone said that the Space Shuttle represents the most advanced technology ever devised by mankind. I tend to agree.

Contemplating re-entry and landing the thing boggles the mind.

Consider: At low-Earth orbit, about 250 miles in altitude, the Shuttle maintains a speed of about 17,500 mph, which is more than 8.5 times the speed of a high-powered rifle bullet. When the crew/ the ground crew/ the flight computer starts the re-entry procedure and fires the retro rockets, there is an incredibly narrow window to glide that thing down to a three-mile runway. (I remember reading about Gordo Cooper's flight on the last Mercury mission, in which he fired his retro rockets at precisely the right time, and landed his capsule within a few miles of the rescue carrier. A fraction of a second earlier or a fraction of second later, and he would have undershot or overshot his target by 50 or 60 miles or more. Cooper got closer to the target than any of the other Mercury pilots, but then again, Gordo was the best pilot anybody had ever saw.) Anyway, upon firing its retro rockets, the Atlantis, which rolled off the assembly line weighing more than 75 TONS, but now has a four-person crew and a payload of tons of garbage from the ISS (no doubt accounted for by the gram by the rocket scientists at NASA), re-enters the Earth's atmosphere, dropping like a stone, with a glide-path ratio of about nine vertical miles to one horizontal mile. Obviously, the Shuttle's glide path shallows as the atmosphere thickens and the vehicle gains aerodynamic stability, but the vehicle is still gliding. It has no propulsion. Undershoot or overshoot that runway, and there's no ground control yelling, "Pull up!"

There was never a "do-over" contingency built into the Shuttle's landing sequence. Think about that. To design a vehicle weighing in excess of 75 tons that can travel at 17,500 mph and to deliver human cargo safely back home with no propulsion -- to glide, mind you -- with no back up plan, and relying utterly on the principals of aerodynamics and physics, and be used in later missions, is a pretty bold design. And it was a successful design, too.

Those American rocket scientists, they did pretty good.

Congratulations NASA on the successful completion of STS-135, and for all the magnificent accomplishments of the Space Shuttle program. No time for tears, let's get prepared for the next mission!

• Like 1