Parts Shortage Impacts Focus Sales

From today's Detroit News:

"Detroit — Ford can't make enough Focus cars to keep up with rising demand because of equipment problems that have caused a shortage of dashboards, two people familiar with the situation told The Associated Press.

Machinery that makes the skin that covers dashboards at a Ford parts factory outside Detroit works intermittently. That is forcing the company to take the unusual and costly step of flying in parts from Europe to keep its assembly lines moving, the people said. Despite those efforts, the Focus plant near Detroit can't run at full speed, they said."

Full article here:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110728/AUTO01/107280465/Sources--Parts-problem-hurts-Ford-Focus-sales

So is the assumption that the same manufacturer is being used on both sides of the world? I swore I read something like this a few weeks back, but I only assumed things resolved itself because the talk subsided.

Those of us who have a car on order are probably not happy to hear about such a delay. But I think more of us would be better off in hoping Ford takes steps to make sure the plastic pieces coming from this one factory are up to par before putting them onto cars.

So is the assumption that the same manufacturer is being used on both sides of the world? I swore I read something like this a few weeks back, but I only assumed things resolved itself because the talk subsided.

Those of us who have a car on order are probably not happy to hear about such a delay. But I think more of us would be better off in hoping Ford takes steps to make sure the plastic pieces coming from this one factory are up to par before putting them onto cars.

I work at this plant, And quality is the most important thing to our members. The issue is the machine that makes the skin is sub par and it breaks down alot (Ford approved it, And bought it). Only two suppliers make this IP worldwide.

From today's Detroit News:

"Detroit — Ford can't make enough Focus cars to keep up with rising demand because of equipment problems that have caused a shortage of dashboards, two people familiar with the situation told The Associated Press.

Machinery that makes the skin that covers dashboards at a Ford parts factory outside Detroit works intermittently. That is forcing the company to take the unusual and costly step of flying in parts from Europe to keep its assembly lines moving, the people said. Despite those efforts, the Focus plant near Detroit can't run at full speed, they said."

Full article here:

http://www.detnews.c...ord-Focus-sales

It is nice that they have the option to import parts from Europe, imagine how bad things Would have been without that option.

It is nice that they have the option to import parts from Europe, imagine how bad things Would have been without that option.

I looked into this whole mess today, And the article has nothing but old information. The imported parts were stopped because it was far to expensive to keep doing that. Our plant has been well ahead of MAP for a while now. .

I looked into this whole mess today, And the article has nothing but old information. The imported parts were stopped because it was far to expensive to keep doing that. Our plant has been well ahead of MAP for a while now. .

Thanks for the info, sounds like the local suppler is keeping ahead of required deliveries to MAP?

If so, this story is a beat up of a problem that is being managed and not restricting MAP at all...

Hmm...unless it's a slow news day, I'm wondering why it's being dragged up now. *cue conspiracy theories*

I think they are selling pretty well...most dealers can't keep them on the lot long, unless they have crappy option packages...I may not buy a vehicle often, but when I do, I've found ordering is the way to go. This is the 3rd time in 17 years, and best price yet...can't wait for my 2012 Focus!

what happened to the color black?

ford.com says it is not available on the Focus.

I need a new order guide

I think whoever is handling the website is out to lunch. The colours affected by the Japan earthquake and tsunami were removed in the Build & Price section (Red Candy and Tuxedo Black). But Blue Candy is still available. The firm or person handling it may be going off some really out-to-date info.

It's the same on ford.ca. They show every single colour that's available this year (so that includes two Red Candy colours, Tuxedo Black, Black, Blue Candy AND Sonic Blue).

I am planning on ordering a new Focus tommorrow in BLACK, now its not available in BLACK. WTF.

Sorry Biker, I was under the inpression you were refering to the interior color. :banghead:

I see on the Focus main page it lists Tuxedo, But not in the build your own section.

I am planning on ordering a new Focus tommorrow in BLACK, now its not available in BLACK. WTF.

Try ordering it anyhow. Everything I see from other sites suggest it's wide open under the new paint code (UA), as well as Sonic Blue and "new" Red Candy. It's probably a mixup with whomever handles the website updates.

how did they fix the issue?

there is alot of speculation swirling around about Saline.

speculation that the plant has been sold.

speculation that ford is looking to in-source the IP production of the focus moving it into the old Wayne Assembly plant.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110714/BUSINESS0102/107140528/Ford-may-hire-400-Wayne-plant

I have a few questions:

Who has the contract for the new escape?

Who had the contract for the old fusion? I believe Ford bought the tooling from Collins-Aiken after they went Bankrupt where is ti being made?

I have a theory that ford has sold or will sell Saline to Faurecia. Why? Faurecia was the sole supplier of IPs to the C1 focus, and is the Supplier of Record to the 2012 focus, at least in the EU. it is likley that those EU IPs were made by Faurecia. Ford may be looking to finish Flowback of its workers before turning the plant over to them.

when that happens I could see focus IPs being moved to Wayne, and Escape IPs and Fusion IPs being moved to Saline.

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/hero_022511FocusSuppliers.pdf

It all guess right now.

If there is not a supply problem, then what is the reason to not go 3 shifts and get more of these cars out? Demand is clearly there, only a 20 day supply at dealers and most are lucky to have 1 or 2 Focus'. It should be outselling Cruze and would be if they could get them to the hands of customers.

If there is not a supply problem, then what is the reason to not go 3 shifts and get more of these cars out? Demand is clearly there, only a 20 day supply at dealers and most are lucky to have 1 or 2 Focus'. It should be outselling Cruze and would be if they could get them to the hands of customers.

What do you do with that extra shift of people that you just hired when demand settles down after a few months?

They would only add another shift if they thought the demand was permanent and it's too early to make that determination.

• Like 1

three shifts would boost production from ~260,000 to ~390,000 Ford will not sell 390,000 focus in North America.

Intel says the IP manufacturer is staying ahead of MAP, that doesn't mean the problem with their equipment is completely fixed.

Rebalancing production line for different rate and supply timetables is a complex issue and cannot be done over night.

After August and September, sales should start to ease back in the cooler months allowing inventory build up.

Edited by jpd80