Good Bye FocusHello Fusion

Caesar

The 2012 Titanium HB went back to the deaer to be replaced with a 2012 Fusion SEL. The good points were gas milage,sound system and versitility. I found the My Touch to be confusing compounded with the redundent steering wheel controls. Never could get comfy with the protruding center stack limiting my knee room. The concept is great for techies but not for seniors. Mine will be the third one returnedto the dealer because of operator/technical incompatability.

I like the Fusion, plenty of room lots of comfort. Only 2 negatives so far, first technically it is very similar to a 2011 Focus. Dont know why Ford wouldn't have put rain sensing wipers and a push button start on an SEL model? Second the built in garage door opener is difficult to program.

MPG comparison 33 mpg for the Focus,28 mpg for the Fusion on the first tank.

NSA: You have to have a dealer that will work with you and not try and gouge you. In my case , the Fusion cost 2k more then the Fusion and I lost 1k for the miles on the car we worked the numbers and everyone was happy. Dont bet all the dealers are willing to work with you.

How exactly was the built in garage door opener difficult to program? I have it in my Flex and '11 Fusion SEL and had no problems programming it at all. The hardest part was getting to the learn button on the opener unit in the garage but you will have to do that with any homelink type device found in any vehicle.

Baggs:

I followed the directions in the manual about 10 times and still cant get the car to learn. As a matter of fact while trying to program the car the remote was unprogramed.

Press buttons 1&3 in the car, then press the learn button on the unit, go back to the car and press the button you want programed and the garage door should move. Nothing happens. Back to the manual

Baggs:

I followed the directions in the manual about 10 times and still cant get the car to learn. As a matter of fact while trying to program the car the remote was unprogramed.

Press buttons 1&3 in the car, then press the learn button on the unit, go back to the car and press the button you want programed and the garage door should move. Nothing happens. Back to the manual

I didn't even have to press the learn button on the opener (2 yr old Chamberlain). Only took about 5 minutes to do both openers in my daughter's 2012 Focus SEL and I never had to get out of the car.

Baggs:

Do you have the car too close to the unit or too far away maybe? It could be your position that's making it fail.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nasaman02

I considered the Fusion. I liked the extra room over the Focus, but I thought that the center console was awkward. It is funny because my sister tested the Fusion a while back when she was buying a new car and when I asked for her thoughts on the Fusion she felt the same as me.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on your new Ford Fusion, caesar!

Regarding the garage door opener, has the Lear Car2U website been any help? If you continue experiencing issues with programming, you can request a callback by clicking the "Need Help" button located toward the top right corner.

The change from the tried and true and easy to program Homelink to the awful Lear unit is something I experienced a few years back when working at a Cadillac Agency... big thumbs down to the Lear. All I can think of is the Lear unit must be $$/unit cheaper. There is NO advantage that I can see over the Homelink.

Edited by Tiberius1701

• 2 years later...

The parts department at my local dealership has informed me that a throttle assembly pedal for my 2006 Fusion may not be available until May 2014. I left a voice mail for the parts dept. to have someone from the Ford main offices to confirm this, but nothing yet. The part is on national back order. I am considering getting the local tv station involved to inquire about this.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...