2007 GMC Acadia official pictures

Explorer4X4

Alright, I hate to say it but this is the best looking Crossover so far. Of course, there are not many good ones anyway. It certainly looks better then that shit-box Dodge Nitro (it is a cross between the Sciont tB or whatever it was and the current Durango, hideous), Ford's Edge (slash Mercury Meta1 and Lincoln MKX), Honda CR-V (anyone see the 2007 Dr. Zoidberg Special Edition yet?) and other similar crossovers. I assume it is replacing the Envoy, but it is very hot. Makes me want one. If it is decent priced, and has good features, it'll be a hit. The below pictures are General Motor's official Acadia pictures. See saturn.com for Saturns official pictures of the Acadia's brother, the Relay and buick.com for Buick's Enclave concept pictures (also related to the Acadia).

2007gmcacadia9eu.th.jpg

2007gmcacadiarear3aw.th.jpg

2007gmcacadiaside9ze.th.jpg

2007gmcacadiafrontinstrumentat.th.jpg

2007gmcacadiafrontpassengerspa.th.jpg

It is powered by a 3.6L V6 and comes in 5, 7 or 8 passenger versions. Like I said, if it is cheap, has high MPGs, good choices and good interior, exterior and safety features it will take away some of Toyota's CUV sales. We actually might just get one, it seats 8!

For an article, see InsideLine.

Edited by staff2

Well, if you prefer the new CR-V thats alright with me!

2007hondacrv9qd.th.jpg

Just kidding, :) . But, it does look good. It is better then these new insanely ugly CUVs by Ford (the new rock called the Edge), Honda (Dr. Zoidberg's CR-V), Toyota (The new RAV4was designed by Spiderman) or any other company. Ford's Freestyle is good looking (now), but so long to that when they put their bold blues all over it/

Why are GMC and Buick and Saturn getting these? Why is GMC getting one at all? Does GM have any clue that 'brandloaf' doesn't cut it anymore?

Also, unlike the Edge (which I guarantee you will be the 'it' car of 2007), and Freestyle, this ute suffers from typical GM every-which-way styling. Unlike the contiguous, coordinated (if bland) lines of the Freestyle, or the sharply detailed Edge, the Acadia has a sort of lumpyness that suggests a once elegant car that has let itself go in certain areas.

Not that GM can't execute good design---it's just that they so seldom do.

The Acadia looks like a parody of the Freestyle:

ford_freestyle_selfwd_2007_exterior_4_346x270.jpg

Edited by RichardJensen

I bet you Saab will end up with one of these as well.

I'm guessing that once the Trailblazer goes so will everything else on that platform, which quantifies why every brand was given one.

At anyrate the Acadia doesn't strike me as anything stellar, the powertrains seem as if they will be up to snuff but the profile and interior, well :shrug:

The new GMC Envoy looks like a bloated 500... Ironically, the new Arcadia looks like the same, as a FS. And 4700lbs proves it. I'm not offended by the styling, I just don't feel it's anything different, if anything, boringly organic...something Honda would think of.

I believe the Saturn version looks a bit better.

Overall, the concept of this vehicle replacing the Trailblazer in essense I think will do well. I'm not sure if a stretched Edge, would be it's best competitor, rather than the lower floored FS. But considering the weight of the weight of the FS/Edge, and the 3.5L engine, it'll run rings around these vehicles...on paper that is.

We'll see what the reviews have to say.

I don't know if it is just me but at 4700 hundred pounds, mine as well step up to a real SUV like an Explorer and just go for the V8. I doubt the hit in gas millage will be all that great. At most you'd be giving up, oh about two mpg! And the Explorer seats 7 anyway.

Looks nice, they should have no trouble selling these. GM is making some solid product entries in CUV arena and should beat Ford to the punch for a model year or two. Ford only has the Edge and Freestyle, and the Freestyle appears to have missed the mark but the Edge should hit the spot for the smaller CUV segment.

Edited by BORG

I doubt the hit in gas millage will be all that great. At most you'd be giving up, oh about two mpg!

Estimated MPG for the Acadia is 17-25, much better then what even a 4.0L Explorer gets. Your lucky to break 20 MPG on an open highway with an Explorer

ONLY? What else should they have? The Escape, Freestyle, and Edge aren't enough?

I think his statement was more addressing the fact that the Freestyle has not been very successful in the market. I like the concept of the Freestyle, but when you actually see one it just looks like a slightly taller station wagon, which isn't what the customer is buying. What Ford needed to do with the Freestyle was make it look more like a traditional SUV, just on a car chassis so you get the good mpg, good ride, higher ride height, and "cool" SUV looks. Instead Ford brought out a bland station wagon that doesn't have SUV appeal and only has car qualities. Here's hoping the redesign toughens it up a bit.

the Freestyle has not been very successful in the market.

Well for a paltry one more person in passenger capacity (8 in Acadia, 7 in Freestyle), you get 10% worse gas mileage and a 900lb weight penalty, and--apparently--a significant price increase.

Also, before you say that the Freestyle's not been very successful, I do believe it's displaced the Pacifica as the No. 2 large CUV in the market (as in: Highlander, Freestyle, Pacifica).

Yes, given a second whack at it, Ford would probably do a few things differently, but those extra things would maybe add 12-16k units per year in volume (bumping up Ford's marketshare .1%)

Well, the Freestyle is just better then the Pacifica. The Pacifica is from Chrysler so of course it is crap. But we can not assume General Motor's new triplets, the GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook or Buick Enclave will not be good cars or (God forbid) actually better the Ford's current Freestyle. It is possible. And it might be more popular due to it having eight seats. Also, there is no definet information as to pricing and fuel economy, only estimates. Let us take my family as an example. We require an eight passenger vehicle. We have a Mercury Montery right now, but two months ago we adopted another kid and there is now eight people in our family. We are selling the Montery, and going to General Motors for a two-year lease on a used Pontiac Montana because it seats 8 passengers, Ford's two minvans and Chrysler's two minivans seat only seven at most but General Motors was smarter and offered an optionel extended passenger version that seats eight. We plan to get another car in two years, we are researching eight passenger and fuel efficient vehicles and guess what. Now, we plan to get a Buick Enclave (or maybe the GMC Acadia).

Estimated MPG for the Acadia is 17-25, much better then what even a 4.0L Explorer gets. Your lucky to break 20 MPG on an open highway with an Explorer

Yeah but the city is practically the same. So you get what, 17/25 vrs 15/21 for a V8 Explorer? I wouldn't call that a 'whole' world better. Sorry but I'll keep the powerful 292 hp regular 87 unleaded V8 with the well refined interior, fold down third row seats, IRS, solid frame, good towing ability, and smooth six speed automatic. But hey, that's just me.

Edited by StevenJ

The simple fact is that the Freestyle and Explorer were originally designed to compliment each other. Now that the BOF midsizers have collapsed, the GM entries better target the market gap left by the collapse of the Trailblazer/Envoy/etc. So GM certainly deserves kudos for making the right moves at the right time. Ford will really have to struggle to stem marketshare errosion until they get competitor on the lots.

The simple fact is that the Freestyle and Explorer were originally designed to compliment each other. Now that the BOF midsizers have collapsed, the GM entries better target the market gap left by the collapse of the Trailblazer/Envoy/etc. So GM certainly deserves kudos for making the right moves at the right time. Ford will really have to struggle to stem marketshare errosion until they get competitor on the lots.

Huh? So GM's move to put the GMT900 SUVs ahead of the trucks was smart? Also, if a segment collapses, how can you fill its gap when the products that are introduced do not offer compelling reasons to switch? I mean, we've got a CUV with what? (per the press release) up to 25 MPG, right? And the Yukon gets 16 & 22, right?

So how's that fill a gap? You get like a 10% improvement in highway mileage (similar to what moving from a 4-speed to a 6-speed got the Explorer), and if you put a six speed in the Yukon, say you're up to something like maybe 23mpg with the Yukon.

Tell me how the Acadia does anything but save a few bucks on gas and lower the step-in height of the Yukon.

Edited by RichardJensen

Count me in as well. There will never be a CUV that can do what the Explorer does, and that's the original reason I got it. Available V8, high towing capacity, and seven seats. I love it, and I plan on replacing it with another one when this one wears out. ;)

I would happily replace our '04 V6 4X4 Explorer w/ a new V8 Explorer, if the resale on the '04 wasn't Tidy-Bowl approved.

No matter how most of us may feel about this CUV. you have to admit that it's not that bad of a vehicle especially on the inside. Plus you have to give it to GMC for coming up with a neat name.

Acadia is interesting to me because of its connection with Longfellow's Evangeline, "This is the forest primeval; but where are the hearts that beneath it/Leaped like the roe, when he hears in the woodland the voice of the huntsman?" And for that I give GMC credit: good job reaching into our poetic past. Now all they need is a 'village smithy' edition of the Sierra.

Edited by RichardJensen