2013 Escape revealed!

LSchicago

If you compare the C-Max and the Kuga on the ford uk web site, you find that even though the C-Max is shorter in length and height than the Kuga, it has much greater maximum cargo capacity (1684 vs 1355 liters). This seems odd. The C-Max also weighs a lot less than the Kuga. So I guess I'm going to answer my own question by saying that even though they are built off of the same platform, there must be some significant differences between the Kuga and the C-Max.

If you compare the C-Max and the Kuga on the ford uk web site, you find that even though the C-Max is shorter in length and height than the Kuga, it has much greater maximum cargo capacity (1684 vs 1355 liters). This seems odd. The C-Max also weighs a lot less than the Kuga. So I guess I'm going to answer my own question by saying that even though they are built off of the same platform, there must be some significant differences between the Kuga and the C-Max.

The C-max is all new. The Kuga is still the old version. That could explain most of the differences. What about width?

Also - I believe they measure cargo volume with actual boxes so strange angles or intrusions could cause the measured cargo capacity to be lower than it looks like.

This truck is hideous! I think Ford just lost a large amount of potential repeat Escape buyers. Unless they buy the 2012 model which is a hot seller. I hope they do not ruin the Fusion as well

!

But they'll probably gain even more new buyers who think the current one is ugly.

But they'll probably gain even more new buyers who think the current one is ugly.

Very true, I thought the old one was terribly outdated and bland. Everyone has their own tastes though. My wife sat in a 2012, and said it was not for her within 3 seconds. She loves the new one & will be buying one. I might too....... At least Ford still has thousands of 2012 Escapes on the lot for those that don't like the new style. Buy the one you want.

Edited by LSchicago

Very true, I thought the old one was terribly outdated and bland. Everyone has their own tastes though. My wife sat in a 2012, and said it was not for her within 3 seconds. She loves the new one & will be buying one. I might too....... At least Ford still has thousands of 2012 Escapes on the lot for those that don't like the new style. Buy the one you want.

What kills me is people who say something will or won't be successful based on THEIR individual tastes. Even the F150 gets outsold by the other makes combined, which means more truck buyers chose NOT to buy a F150 than chose TO buy one.

1355 liters = 47.9 cubic feet cargo capacity. This compares with the current cargo capacity of about 66 cubic feet.. Ford's going in the wrong direction down the road...

WEIGHTS AND CAPACITIES (pounds unless otherwise noted)

SAE passenger volume 98.1 cu. ft.

Cargo volume

68.1 cu. ft. (behind first row)

34.3 cu. ft. (behind second row)

It has more cargo capacity, not less. You're going the wrong direction, not Ford.

1355 liters = 47.9 cubic feet cargo capacity. This compares with the current cargo capacity of about 66 cubic feet.. Ford's going in the wrong direction down the road...

Ummm..if you are looking at the Kuga's numbers for interior volume you're barking up the wrong tree. Ford's press release stated the 2013 Escape has more cargo room behind both the first and second rows than the outgoing model.

What kills me is people who say something will or won't be successful based on THEIR individual tastes. Even the F150 gets outsold by the other makes combined, which means more truck buyers chose NOT to buy a F150 than chose TO buy one.

Just to clarify. Although I think the 2013 model is ugly I do think it will be successful. With every buyer who liked the old one and would not buy the new one there is someone who will like the new one. and hates the old one.

I do not think the current one's styling is bland at all. Outdated? Maybe. But the new one will look like everything else in its class. At least the old one was distinctive in its appearance.

The issue here is that Ford was forced to compete with the likes of Toyota/Hyundai etc.. While the current model is selling well sooner or later it would loose more and more sales to updated models from other manufacturers.

I have a feeling that some current Escape buyers may be inclined to purchase a new Edge. I would. So perhaps that will help sales for that model.

I have a feeling that some current Escape buyers may be inclined to purchase a new Edge. I would. So perhaps that will help sales for that model.

Several previous Escape owners likely already had stepped up to an Edge or Explorer. Those who bought Escapes as their first "family vehicle" when their kids were small likely outgrew them by the time they were ready for replacements. While it's a popular segment, I'd be curious to see what percentage of it is actually repeat buyers.

Several previous Escape owners likely already had stepped up to an Edge or Explorer. Those who bought Escapes as their first "family vehicle" when their kids were small likely outgrew them by the time they were ready for replacements. While it's a popular segment, I'd be curious to see what percentage of it is actually repeat buyers.

Good point. So I see you drive an Edge Sport AWD. I was considering that or a Fusion Sport AWD. I have only test driven a Edge AWD Limited and found it to be a blast to drive. Did you test drive a non Sport Edge as well before deciding on an Edge Sport?

Good point. So I see you drive an Edge Sport AWD. I was considering that or a Fusion Sport AWD. I have only test driven a Edge AWD Limited and found it to be a blast to drive. Did you test drive a non Sport Edge as well before deciding on an Edge Sport?

Yeah, I took a Limited out for a spin as well. In the end it was mostly an appearance factor for me. While the extra horsepower in the 3.7 is noticable, the Limited still had plenty of pep to it. I just preferred the wheels and exterior trim more on the Sport.

With Ford's "one Ford" philosophy, they had to pick one design for all markets. Since the Old Escape would not sell in Europe or other areas well, they decided to update the Kuga styling and sell that worldwide. It was a very smart move on their part. I realize many traditional Escape buyers will not like the new Escape out of the gate,(if ever) Ford would've lost more sales to to sell the old Escape to other markets, than updating the Kuga for our market. Ford is looking at the big picture, and will increase worldwide sales overall, while making higher profits on each vehicle. Ford is a smart company, and they may be moving forward faster than the traditionalists like. But like it or not this is the new direction, and they will have no problem selling the new Escape here.

Edited by LSchicago

OK, so the post above my previous post misled me. Nonetheless, the 2013 Escape is ugly and will not be available as a hybrid. Change is not always for the better. The C-Max Hybrid will not have AWD, and it's actually a minivan. I realize that it will be competing against the Toyota Prius v, and that vehicle also is not available with AWD or decent ground clearance. So, Ford, you lost me, and thousands of others....

WEIGHTS AND CAPACITIES (pounds unless otherwise noted)

SAE passenger volume 98.1 cu. ft.

Cargo volume

68.1 cu. ft. (behind first row)

34.3 cu. ft. (behind second row)

It has more cargo capacity, not less. You're going the wrong direction, not Ford.

Nonetheless, the 2013 Escape is ugly and will not be available as a hybrid

The government subsidies for hybrids have ended. don't expect sales as in the past. We bought three and the gas savings was't worth the significantly higher price of 8k per unit. Public consumers will see them as significantly less attractive without the subsidy.

Not correct. The price premium is approx. $4000 (bet. Limited 4WD and Hybrid 4WD) and is recouped with 5-6 years of gasoline savings. And importantly the resale value of the hybrid Mariner/Escape is approx. $4000 over the non-hybrid--so the hybrid does make economic sense! And: in order to make the average legally-required fleet economy of 54 mpg by 2025, how on earth is Ford going to do this without going entirely hybrid?

Although I've used the hybrid tax credit to reduce my business taxes, this was not a factor in my economic calculation.

The government subsidies for hybrids have ended. don't expect sales as in the past. We bought three and the gas savings was't worth the significantly higher price of 8k per unit. Public consumers will see them as significantly less attractive without the subsidy.