Lincoln Offers Peak of New Styling Direction

Clearly you guys are missing the obvious comparison. I mean it has everything in common! Loads of black plastic, a repurposed chassis, split wing grille and the design spirit that inspired an entire brand to the staggering success that would follow! I just love symmetry!

2013_lincoln_mks_f34_11-la-as_1114111_717.jpg

32209868_2002-05_Pontiac_Aztek.jpg

Edited by BORG

imho there's no question that they could shove-in a 5.0v8.

Take a tape measure and go visit a dealership and measure an MKS engine bay. It probably won't fit, and offers no real advantage, even if Ford had a transmission for an AWD transverse chassis. It would probably require a new firewall along with the unitized body's suspension/engine/transmission mounting surfaces. Considering the NVH standards of an MKS, this is not something that can be cobbled together like a Kar Kraft Boss 429, which was a simple, brutal sled.

If you could make it fit as a longitudinal engine for RWD, the chassis will be way, way too nose heavy because the original FWD engine placement, and would require a whole new floor pan.

At that point, for cost, you start from scratch, on the CAD system and avoid the compromises for no additional cost beyond CAD time, because new dies are required, either way. :)

re: transmission

- afaik they're getting one ready to handle a 400hp 3.5EB

- don't know if it was ever developed but back when PowerShift was first being talked about (Jan'07), Getrag was working on one that could handle 550 lb.ft

- maybe Aisin has one Ford could buy like they do/did for the Falcon

Clearly you guys are missing the obvious comparison. I mean it has everything in common! Loads of black plastic, a repurposed chassis, split wing grille and the design spirit that inspired an entire brand to the staggering success that would follow! I just love symmetry!

BORG,

do you like the MKS?

do/did you like the Aztek?

I confused

Edited by 2b2

- don't know if it was ever developed but back when PowerShift was first being talked about (Jan'07), Getrag was working on one that could handle 550 lb.ft

If you have a 400 HP 3.5EB and tranny then you don't need a 5.0 V8.

BORG,

do you like the MKS?

do/did you like the Aztek?

I confused

I posted that sarcastically because of all the 'Looks like..' comparisons above. I like the MKS well enough.

If you don't want your brand to die then don't jinx it by putting a split grille on it!

Edited by StangBang

You know I do not get why car manufactures don't just hire Chip Foose to design the styling of their cars. I have seen several designs that he has done for basic family styled autos ( not hot rods) and they are breath taking. He is a good engineer and knows how to work within mechanical and aerodynamic parameters.....

Every auto he has worked on has been beautiful......

He certainly could not do worse that the recent Lincoln style offerings. (To be fair, I think most 13 year old's could do better than recent Lincoln style designers....)

I'm not 13, but I've offered to take a crack at it for a while lol.