Avon Lake Medium Duty

It's 11 years old! Don't know what happened to it, though I think Maxion ended up with the rights to the Navistar 7.3L.. I think Ford Power Products is defunct, and I think any relationship Ford had with Navistar is finished. I am around a lot of industrial engines, and I can't say I ever saw one of those.

7M-I can remembe looking at a Ford Power Products website not that long ago and it was fairly complete. But I think you are correct- a web search only shows a select number of engine suppliers who have some sort of access to V-10's and that's it. There is a site that refers to some engine operation as a unit of Ford but nothing like the one that previously existed.

Looks like another lost market. I can recall not that long ago when 302 Fords were used in self contained air compressor applications-one bank the power, oe bank the compressor, when 460's were used in such varied applications as soil remediation-engine burned recovered hydrocarbons, etc. To say nothing of powering such things as chippers, boom lifts, etc. Seems like that should have been a good source of revenue to balance the demands of the pure auto market-guess the catch all phrase....."concentrate on core business" killed this business too.

Re: EPA patent

The EPA has been actively looking at EGR as a means of reducing NOx production, based on the theory that EGR minimizes NOx formation due to the reduction in free O2, not just the reduction in combustion temperature (if memory serves, the excess between the ~14% stoich. ratio for combustion and the ~21% atmospheric ratio of free O2 coupled with heat that breaks both N2 & O2 bonds leading to reformation of N2 & O2 as well as O3, N2O, NO, and NO2).

AFAIK, the problem is that current EGR solutions aren't capable of the sort of fine adjustment needed to reduce NOx formation to manageable levels without cooling combustion temps so low as to make VOC & soot issues.

Edited by RichardJensen

Seems like that should have been a good source of revenue to balance the demands of the pure auto market-guess the catch all phrase....."concentrate on core business" killed this business too.

There's not a lot of revenue there, and I think the emissions regs are finally being tightened in that sector as well. Seems to be a low volume/low margin business.

Re: EPA patent

The EPA has been actively looking at EGR as a means of reducing NOx production, based on the theory that EGR minimizes NOx formation due to the reduction in free O2, not just the reduction in combustion temperature (if memory serves, the excess between the ~14% stoich. ratio for combustion and the ~21% atmospheric ratio of free O2 coupled with heat that breaks both N2 & O2 bonds leading to reformation of N2 & O2 as well as O3, N2O, NO, and NO2).

AFAIK, the problem is that current EGR solutions aren't capable of the sort of fine adjustment needed to reduce NOx formation to manageable levels without cooling combustion temps so low as to make VOC & soot issues.

You got it. From what I understand, the EPA was originally not in favor of SCR/urea as they felt it would be too easy to defeat (picture some trucker taking a leak in the urea bottle, LOL!). EGR has been used on diesels for a number of years but due to the tightening of NOx standards, conventional EGR systems would no longer be sufficient by themselves after 2010. So Navistar tries to make the EPA happy, and look what happens. The 'writing on the wall' was there for everyone to see when Cat gave up on ACERT. If those guys couldn't get it to work, you knew the technology was flawed. SCR/urea is not without it's own faults but it does control NOx very well and as an aftertreatment doesn't effect engine performance and economy like EGR does.

The bottom line is that a lot of this man-made global warming crap is just that.......crap! The population of the world and the USA has doubled in the past 50 years. With regard to CO2 emissions, the average human exhales 2.2 lbs of it every day! So let's do away with humanity! All the weed whackers, trucks, cars, jets etc. don't emit what human exhalation, rotting vegetation and volcanoes emit!

You got it. From what I understand, the EPA was originally not in favor of SCR/urea as they felt it would be too easy to defeat (picture some trucker taking a leak in the urea bottle, LOL!). EGR has been used on diesels for a number of years but due to the tightening of NOx standards, conventional EGR systems would no longer be sufficient by themselves after 2010. So Navistar tries to make the EPA happy, and look what happens. The 'writing on the wall' was there for everyone to see when Cat gave up on ACERT. If those guys couldn't get it to work, you knew the technology was flawed. SCR/urea is not without it's own faults but it does control NOx very well and as an aftertreatment doesn't effect engine performance and economy like EGR does.

Technology, eventually, should enable EGR management of free O2 in the chamber, but it clearly is not there yet. I don't like SCR, in part because its acronym is an outright lie. It's not at all catalytic. It's a volatile reactant that is consumed over time.

Technology, eventually, should enable EGR management of free O2 in the chamber, but it clearly is not there yet. I don't like SCR, in part because its acronym is an outright lie. It's not at all catalytic. It's a volatile reactant that is consumed over time.

There is a catalytic component to SCR, but I hear you. And I agree that SCR will probably not be around too long as other technologies are developed to manage NOx.

Edited by 7Mary3

The bottom line is that a lot of this man-made global warming crap is just that.......crap! The population of the world and the USA has doubled in the past 50 years. With regard to CO2 emissions, the average human exhales 2.2 lbs of it every day! So let's do away with humanity! All the weed whackers, trucks, cars, jets etc. don't emit what human exhalation, rotting vegetation and volcanoes emit!

This isn't about CO2 emissions, it's about NOx emissions. 2 different things.

Here's something interesting:

http://beta.fool.com/tc118/2012/07/11/focusing-blue-oval/6719/?ticker=F&source=eogyholnk0000001

The article talks of a 20% decline in Ford 'heavy' truck sales. I assume they are talking about class 6 and 7 sales. I wonder if the 'Blue Diamond' operation has started to wind down, which could accout for the decline. In any event, I am still rather surprised that Ford is staying in class 6 and 7 with a new product, given that their numbers are getting so small.

Here's something interesting:

http://beta.fool.com...ogyholnk0000001

The article talks of a 20% decline in Ford 'heavy' truck sales. I assume they are talking about class 6 and 7 sales. I wonder if the 'Blue Diamond' operation has started to wind down, which could accout for the decline. In any event, I am still rather surprised that Ford is staying in class 6 and 7 with a new product, given that their numbers are getting so small.

Duh!! the writer of that piece is out to lunch. Chrysler owned by Cerebus?? I looked to see if the dateline was 2010? Then the comment using the present tense in describing the phasing down of CV. And the demise of Ranger makes the..."platform available"????? And as for the comment on heavy trucks, putting Ford in the same mix as Paccar and Navistar indicates to me this writer is clueless as to what the term "Heavy Truck" means.

Then the comment using the present tense in describing the phasing down of CV. And the demise of Ranger makes the..."platform available"?????

She said

the Crown Victoria is in the final phases of being phased out

which is technically true, as selling out the remaining inventory is a phase of being phased out.

As for the Ranger comment, she said

We see a similar phasing out of the Ranger whose platform capacity can be used for certain of the more profitable sport utilities.

which looks to me like she's saying that they can use the manufacturing capacity that the Ranger was occupying to build something else. I'm not sure what that might be, given that the Explorer is now on a car platform, but she's still talking about repurposing the manufacturing capacity, not the platform itself. At least I hope that's what she meant, but after that Cerberus comment, maybe I'm giving her too much credit...

'platform capacity' is an odd, odd thing to say. Especially when talking about an orphaned vehicle that was built in a now-defunct plant.

Yeah, it is. That article reads like someone who's writing out of her depth; some of it sounds logical, but there are too many mis-statements. One could forgive the odd phrases like "platform capacity," but someone reporting for a financial operation should be able to figure out the ownership of a company. Hell, if you Google "Chrysler ownership," one of the first hits is a news piece from earlier this year about Fiat increasing its stake in Chrysler to 58%...

Richard, LS,

Bottom line another example of the need to take everything with a grain of salt. There are many frequent posters on this site who could have written a more factual article. As a long time reader of the WSJ, I would refer to stories as.."well I read in the WSJ". Then again, even the Journal would occasionally do a story on an issue that I had a good knowledge of and I would say.."bullshit"!

I guess the editor assigns someone to do a story and all too often, the person doesn't have the knowledge/experience to properly cover the issue-then again, where was the "Editor" in this case?

There is a catalytic component to SCR, but I hear you. And I agree that SCR will probably not be around too long as other technologies are developed to manage NOx.

Thanks for the clarification. I had thought the heat of the exhaust gas was sufficient to break down & reform those compounds.

I just saw an article in School Bus magazine about the Roush Ford propane engines in Bluebird School Bus' Vision conventionals. Bob R, does Boston use a lot of those? I saw about 5 Bluebird Visions heading back to Boston on I-84 east here in CT. Also in a construction mag: on an island in Casco Maine, a new Cat 660 tri-axle vocational was awarded to LPA Marine in a contest. They ferried it on a barge with a big hoopla event!

I just saw an article in School Bus magazine about the Roush Ford propane engines in Bluebird School Bus' Vision conventionals. Bob R, does Boston use a lot of those? I saw about 5 Bluebird Visions heading back to Boston on I-84 east here in CT. Also in a construction mag: on an island in Casco Maine, a new Cat 660 tri-axle vocational was awarded to LPA Marine in a contest. They ferried it on a barge with a big hoopla event!

Joe, Can't say that I've seen any-not sure iof I would recognize. seems like everything is either f'liner or Navistars. as for the big Cat truck, I have yet to see one on the road.

I have not seen any of the propane fueled Bluebirds yet, but I hear they are coming. Thomas is working on a propane Saf-T-Liner which will use the new Powertrain Integration 8.0L V-8, and that engine will also be available in the M2 Business Class medium truck by the end of the year.

I have not seen any of the propane fueled Bluebirds yet, but I hear they are coming. Thomas is working on a propane Saf-T-Liner which will use the new Powertrain Integration 8.0L V-8, and that engine will also be available in the M2 Business Class medium truck by the end of the year.

Joe/7M3-good info- actually with that slopping hood I wondered if those buses did not have Deutz air cools. Remember the Osterlund Giant? (Diamond Reo cab with a Deutz) Not good news for Foird that F'liner will be offering the GM- V-8. No substitue for cubes in a truck application. Others have posted about the 6.2 V-8 having pottential to grtow but I don't think it has the potential to go to 8 liters.

any thoughts on that?

If Ford really expects to be in the medium size CNG buisness they need a biiger engine ! We know that the "Boss" can go to 7.0L, but I have heard it has cooling problems (medium duty durability tests require the engine to run at near full throttle for extended periods), which is why it is curretly not available in any of the medium duties.

Joe/7M3-good info- actually with that slopping hood I wondered if those buses did not have Deutz air cools. Remember the Osterlund Giant? (Diamond Reo cab with a Deutz) Not good news for Foird that F'liner will be offering the GM- V-8. No substitue for cubes in a truck application. Others have posted about the 6.2 V-8 having pottential to grtow but I don't think it has the potential to go to 8 liters.

any thoughts on that?

I thought that the GM Big Block went out of production. Is this 8.0L based on a different GM engine? As for the Ford/Blue Bird Vision connection, I remember seeing pictures of the two buses that were made with Ford badges on the front. I tried looking and will post them when I find them. It's too bad Ford couldn't have been supplier for the Visions, those things are everywhere.