Avon Lake Medium Duty

The 4.4L is actually more expensive to make than the 6.7L. The Scorpion, 6.8L, and 6R140 are going to be making their way to the trucks.

Just a matter of sorting out current contracts with Cummins, Allision, etc

Welcome to the thread- don't recall you posting here before. Noting your Michigan address are you employed in the industry? As to your comment, as the V-10 and 6R140 are I THOUGHT scheduled to be production items in March, hasn't the "sorting out" been done a long time ago?

I was just watching a movie with my grandkids called Real Steel, and the star of the movie is an old International COE with a second set of windows at foot level with wipers! It's weird looking and the shortest BBC I've ever seen! I searched it by typing in "Real Steel International truck"and it's called the Sightliner. The link follows. On a second note. at least twice in the movie, yellow Ford Flex taxis could be seen in the background. Upon typing in "Ford Flex taxis" there were several links including the fact that Boston uses Flex taxis. Here's the IH link:

http://hankstruckforum.com/htforum/index.php?topic=53417.0

I was just watching a movie with my grandkids called Real Steel, and the star of the movie is an old International COE with a second set of windows at foot level with wipers! It's weird looking and the shortest BBC I've ever seen! I searched it by typing in "Real Steel International truck"and it's called the Sightliner. The link follows. On a second note. at least twice in the movie, yellow Ford Flex taxis could be seen in the background. Upon typing in "Ford Flex taxis" there were several links including the fact that Boston uses Flex taxis. Here's the IH link:

http://hankstruckforum.com/htforum/index.php?topic=53417.0

I remember seeing one of those IH cabs as a kid. IH had some really interesting designs in the '50s and '60s.

I remember seeing one of those IH cabs as a kid. IH had some really interesting designs in the '50s and '60s.

Sightliner had a 48" BBC! I do believe it was only offered with V-8 gas-but the International 549 was a powerful gas motor. I don't think they offered their big gas six (501 cu. in.) as it extended to far past the cab. there are a few on the antique show circuit.

As for the glass house-same deal as Ford we think is going to do with next generation mediums. The cab structure -glass, doors, roof-was used on various conventional chassis.

If I have my facts straight, Carl Icahn owns 9.5% each of Oshkosh and International. He's facing resistance, but his goal is to merge the two!

That's the way I understand it. Is it a good move for Navistar? Or Oshkosh, for that matter? This is how I see it:

Both are indeed major suppliers of military vehicles, and no doubt there are some synergies between the two companies.

Oshkosh builds military and specialized construction trucks, Navistar primarily builds medium and heavy highway trucks, and diesel engines. Not much overlap there.

Navistar's strengh is in medium duty. They seem to be falling behind in heavy duty.

Navistar's engine business is an issue. Their EGR strategy backfired, and word I am hearing is some of their new MaxForce engines have problems. Could Oshkosh use any of Navistar's engines?

Does Oshkosh want any part of this? Remember a few years ago Oshkosh fought off Freightliner.

At the end of the day, I think Icahn benefits the most from this deal. I don't see it really doing Navistar or Oshkosh much good.

It was rumored that Volkswagen was interested in Navistar at one time. They have been trying to merge MAN and Scania for some time, throwing Navistar into that would make a pretty formidable competitor.

I've been driving a 2012 Prostar with a 475 hp MaxxForce. I've ran it about 80K miles this past year and not had any issues. That thing pulls very well (10 speed tranny and 3.70 gears). I average 6.4 mpg with loads averaging 72K total gross weight. The one complaint I have is the engine brake is not real effective.

Ichan planned to stack the board at Oshkosh with his people in order to get the deal moving. There was a vote a couple of weeks ago and none of his people won in the shareholder election. Since he doesn't control the board as he hoped, it is expected he will sell off his stake in the company and move on.

Ichan planned to stack the board at Oshkosh with his people in order to get the deal moving. There was a vote a couple of weeks ago and none of his people won in the shareholder election. Since he doesn't control the board as he hoped, it is expected he will sell off his stake in the company and move on.

Wonder of he will sell his Navistar holdings. Or, look for someone else to merge Navistar with............

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like there will be a long wait for a US built F650/750

Alex Maciag, manager of the Ohio Assembly Plant in Avon Lake ... said, "The plant will phase out the Econoline at the end of 2013 and begin production of its medium trucks, allowing it to retain most of its workers."

Moving production of medium-size trucks to Ohio Assembly will end Ford’s Blue Diamond Truck LLC joint venture between Ford and Navistar International. That joint venture is building the trucks in Mexico.

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2012/02/25/ford-to-boost-motor-production-in-cleveland-retain-avon-lake-jobs/

Edited by theoldwizard

Some more tidbits: The EPA is suing Navistar for non-compliant emissions on 2010 engines. Some fleets are considering using class 7 tractors to save money and for better maneuverability in cities. I was watching "Exit Wounds" with Steven Segal circa late 90's I imagine, and spotted an F800(0) tandem axle dump, a C-series garbage truck and a C-series fire truck.

It looks like there will be a long wait for a US built F650/750

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2012/02/25/ford-to-boost-motor-production-in-cleveland-retain-avon-lake-jobs/

2014 is consistant with what I have been told. Still very curious to find out what sort of changes are going to be made to Ford's medium duty lineup one production moves to Avon Lake.

Question: Has Navistar made any official comments about the end of Blue Diamond?

Edited by 7Mary3

Question: Has Navistar made any official comments about the end of Blue Diamond?

Blue Diamond has been a very quiet company since its creation. Very few people within Ford even new it existed.

For example, I never heard this

In June 2009, (Navistar) increased its equity interest in its Blue Diamond Truck and Blue Diamond Parts joint ventures with Ford Motor Company to 75%.

I'll bet this was around the time that Navistar and Ford "buried the hatchet" (canceled all law suits and counter suits) regarding the 6.0L "fiasco".

Ford is still walloping Hino in class 6 and 7. Isuzu, Fuso and UD are each achieving only 1 percent of the 6 and 7 market!

Not sure abour UD, but Isuzu and Fuso do not build class 6 and 7 anymore. GM was building the Isuzu F series class 6 and 7 trucks, and when they stopped mediums the Isuzu's they were building were discontinued as well. Not sure what Isuzu's plans are at the moment, but I don't think they are going to be successful just selling NPR's.

Comparing the Ford F-650/750 to the class 6 and 7 Hino conventionals, Ford soundly beats the Hino on price. However, the Hino is a much better truck.

• 1 month later...

Let's just say Ford is serious about offering a full line of competitive medium duty trucks. Wouldn't it make sense to use the HN80 cab? Those cabs were manufactured by Mayflower, and I don't think the tooling is being used at the moment.........

Let's just say Ford is serious about offering a full line of competitive medium duty trucks. Wouldn't it make sense to use the HN80 cab? Those cabs were manufactured by Mayflower, and I don't think the tooling is being used at the moment.........

Interesting-who is Mayflower? Also I wonder if there was something in the sale to Daimler that would have precluded any use of HN-80 engineering. The no compete as I would see it would be a separate issue. As for HN-80..."hey Ford-you sold it-build whatever you want in 10 years but HN-80-we (Daimler) own it"

Also recognizing that good designs like the C series, R and B model Macks, Louisvilles had life spans of 30 years or so, do you think they would use a design that already had 17 years under its belt?

Presumably, it's Mayflower Moving. http://www.mayflower.com/moving/

Ah, no it isn't. Then again I should have checked a bit more carefully. The 'Mayflower' I was referring to was Mayflower Vehicle Systems, formerly known as Motor Panels, and today known as Commercial Vehicle Group:

http://www.cvgrp.com/en-us/Pages/default.aspx

Motor Panels goes way back, manufacturing cabs and other sheetmetal products for a number of different automotive companies. Probably best known for the Mack R series and many of the White cabs too. I think they were also building the 'Autocar' cab that Western Star used for so many years.

Edited by 7Mary3