2013 Escape ordering guide released

The tire sizes are passenger car sidewall widths, especially the 45 series tire on Titanium. Continental tires on all models, which they aren't a great tire. But with the sizes there aren't many replacement brands out there right now.

I love my Continentals All Season Performance tires on my Mustang!

Saw and sat in the new Escape at the auto show yesterday. Heard alot of good comments about the exterior styling, but some people commented it was small inside. I think it suffers the same as the Focus, where the dash makes it feel more cramped then it is.

They retained the SoundScreen front windshield from the previous model. The cloth/leather standard interior in the Titanium is nicer than expected. Still suprised the lower model SEL comes with standard full leather and it's option on Titanium, but it gives it a "sportier" look with the cloth I suppose.

Some of the pelimanary documentation from Ford said the grill shutters would'nt be on the 2.0L ecoboost, but the Titaniums there had the shutters, and it had the 2.0L since that engine is standard on Titanium.

The panaramic vista roof is very nice, and it doesn't have the middle roof pillar dividing it like in the edge and explorer. Very cool continuous opening.

The roof side rails are painted silver on Titanium, and black on all other models. This is one of the only visual apperance differences other than the 19" rims.

The wipers wipe from the center to the outside like the new Focus.

HID headlamps standard and exclusive to Titanium.

Standard 4 wheel disc brakes on all models.

Driver's knee airbag.

110 volt outlet at rear of console with cargo package option.

Hidden cubby hole in front of right rear seat and goes under passenger front seat for storage of small items. Nice touch.

None of them had the trailer tow package, I figure a low take rate since you can only get it on the 2.0L engine and it deletes the sensors for the hands free part of the liftgate on the higher trim levels.

Sony subwoofer is hidden behind left trim panel in cargo area.

BLIS system LED in mirrors like other Ford vehicles.

Keyless entry keypad on B-Pillar of drivers door is hidden better than other Ford's with this feature. You can usually see a slight bump on the others, but this one is really invisible when it's not lit.

Full power seat on driver's side, and power lumbar instead of knobs. No power anything on passenger seat at any trim level.

Nice cubbies beside driver and passenger seats for umbrellas.

Full lighted and dampened glove box! Ford has finally come full circle on this one!

Dislikes are:

The tire sizes are passenger car sidewall widths, especially the 45 series tire on Titanium. Continental tires on all models, which they aren't a great tire. But with the sizes there aren't many replacement brands out there right now.

You can't get the 1.6L ecoboost on Titanium

The floormats are the same puny size as in the Focus.

There isn't a driver footrest pad, just carpet.

You have to get the whole automated parking package to get the rear view camera. Should be standard on Titanium anyway.

Isn't much visual difference between SEL and Titanium.

But overall I really like the new Escape. I will probably be submitting my order as soon as they allow.

Thanks for the info! I'm a little puzzled by the mix of features Ford has decided to use on the high trim levels. Seems to me that Titanium should have standard full leather, back up camera, and power passenger seat. Any vehicles costing $30k+ at top trim level should have these standard! It seems the only real reason to get a Titanium over the SEL is for the HID's, unless you were really that hung up on the larger wheels.

In terms of the other things you mentioned, I could care less about active shutters on the 2.0L. In my opinion thats something you don't want to have fail in the closed position and since I live in FL with high temperatures most of the year, I don't see them closing very often anyway. I was also looking at that tire size for the Titanium and there aren't many options out there. It's making me reconsider whether or not AWD is worth it. I just want something that can keep from getting stuck on the beach and an occassional light off roading to get to a camping spot etc. but I don't see any tire in existance that could handle even those light duties. Hmm...

All that being said, otherwise I think its going to be a great vehicle and I'm looking forward to driving one myself!

Edited by Gator06

Thanks for the info! I'm a little puzzled by the mix of features Ford has decided to use on the high trim levels. Seems to me that Titanium should have standard full leather, back up camera, and power passenger seat. Any vehicles costing $30k+ at top trim level should have these standard! It seems the only real reason to get a Titanium over the SEL is for the HID's, unless you were really that hung up on the larger wheels.

I'm assuming that partial leather interior is something along the lines of the old SVT Focus seats, where the middles where cloth and the bosters where leather.

Ford-SVT_Focus_2002_1280x960_wallpaper_2f.jpg

Edited by silvrsvt

dont understand the need for a mix, and if the leather is on non wear parts why not sibstitute a Vynal look-alike?....

As I 'Built and Priced' a Escape on the US site, I think these are the 'Sport Leather' seats. The full leather seating looks better in the press pictures IMO.

dont understand the need for a mix, and if the leather is on non wear parts why not substitute a Vinyl look-alike?....

The leather IS on the wear sections: the side bolsters, most notably. I prefer cloth anyway. My old 95 SHO had a similar arrangement of cloth center/leather sides.

But the leather did show signs of wear as is normal. Vinyl bolsters would make sense.

Edited by timmm55

dont understand the need for a mix, and if the leather is on non wear parts why not sibstitute a Vynal look-alike?....

Probably because we hunted naugas to extinction back in the '70s. ;)

Dunno about you, but if I'm paying $30K+, I expect the leather to be real leather, not some cheap knock-off. I've done my time in vinyl seats; there's no comparison between it and leather.

Probably because we hunted naugas to extinction back in the '70s. ;)

Dunno about you, but if I'm paying $30K+, I expect the leather to be real leather, not some cheap knock-off. I've done my time in vinyl seats; there's no comparison between it and leather.

I had a lookalike substitute for leather in my Cooper, it was fine AND saved me $1000

My friend and I were at the show last week, and we enjoyed the Escape as a whole package. For me, it felt like an extension of being in my current Focus, albeit a bit higher and some things being a little more upright.

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I just don't like how in the cargo area (passenger side by the liftgate) there is that "pocket" of space between the load floor and where the actual floor of the rear is. It makes the load floor look like an afterthought and unfinished. Plus, I'm always thinking something might roll down in there.

After scanning through the build guide, I'm also surprised there's no "winter package" offering (at least) heated mirrors on the SE model. If you want those, you're looking at least an SEL or Titanium. It's a small thing, but for those of us in a winter climate, it does become useful. And I'm confused how you can get a rear floor mat deletion on the SEL but not on other models. Still, if my other car needs to be replaced, I'd be looking at an Escape as a replacement.

My friend and I were at the show last week, and we enjoyed the Escape as a whole package. For me, it felt like an extension of being in my current Focus, albeit a bit higher and some things being a little more upright.

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I just don't like how in the cargo area (passenger side by the liftgate) there is that "pocket" of space between the load floor and where the actual floor of the rear is. It makes the load floor look like an afterthought and unfinished. Plus, I'm always thinking something might roll down in there.

After scanning through the build guide, I'm also surprised there's no "winter package" offering (at least) heated mirrors on the SE model. If you want those, you're looking at least an SEL or Titanium. It's a small thing, but for those of us in a winter climate, it does become useful. And I'm confused how you can get a rear floor mat deletion on the SEL but not on other models. Still, if my other car needs to be replaced, I'd be looking at an Escape as a replacement.

I reread your post , disregard.

Edited by Hugh

After scanning through the build guide, I'm also surprised there's no "winter package" offering (at least) heated mirrors on the SE model. If you want those, you're looking at least an SEL or Titanium. It's a small thing, but for those of us in a winter climate, it does become useful.

Ford of Canada will probably look at that, in year 2, as a guess, after production 'settles down', and regional variants become feasible. :)

Well dealer went to put an order in for me and the order bank is not allowing the body type codes to be entered. We have not seen the order guides being released without the order bank being open. Deanh, are you seeing this at your dealer? Has anyone else been able to submit an order?

no inquiries yet, which is normal until the car starts getting advertised and has press...I'll get on the site and try a dummy order to see if there is a hiccup somewhere...

im still surprised that we are not seeing air conditioned seats on any of fords new models. The kia sportage and optima have this as an option. I was expecting this on the new upper trim escape and fusion. Now we know that is not going to happen, but I was disappointed to see that this would not even be an option on any of the lincolns. Hopefully the new mkz will surprise me.

im still surprised that we are not seeing air conditioned seats on any of fords new models. The kia sportage and optima have this as an option. I was expecting this on the new upper trim escape and fusion. Now we know that is not going to happen, but I was disappointed to see that this would not even be an option on any of the lincolns. Hopefully the new mkz will surprise me.

I'm pretty sure I saw front cooled seats on the Taurus Limited I spec'd out last week. Which would likely mean the MKS has it too.