2013 Escape ordering guide released

Sad, but not surprising. The last Escape only had the manual on base xls models. Thats if you could even find one on the lot.

They were actually kinda fun to drive too, I was under the impression the 1.6 eco was going to be avail as a 6 speed manual....shame.....

Printing it up as we speak...I thought the eco 1.6 was going to be avail in FWD with a manual, sadly the ordering guide makes no mention of a manual trans even in the base S model with the 2.5 4 cylinder.....DAMMIT!

Uh-oh. I hope this isn't a bad omen for the next-generation Fusion. Ford's press release for that vehicle mentioned the availability of a 6-speed manual tranny with the 1.6T engine as well. :unsure:

This is not surprising because manuals are less fuel efficient in the modern era.

Manuals used to be more fuel efficient and autos were still around for those who wanted them! So why is it different now that things have switched. The only Ford that will be left with a stick soon will be the mustang. So sad!

Manuals used to be more fuel efficient and autos were still around for those who wanted them! So why is it different now that things have switched. The only Ford that will be left with a stick soon will be the mustang. So sad!

Simple. The reason the autos were available is because people were lazy/disabled/didn't know how to drive a manual. With new autos being more efficient there is no reason to offer a stick... many autos are quicker than their manual counterparts.

Simple. The reason the autos were available is because people were lazy/disabled/didn't know how to drive a manual. With new autos being more efficient there is no reason to offer a stick... many autos are quicker than their manual counterparts.

Not to mention the cost of emissions certification for a stick on top of the all of the design, development, and testing necessary. For the relatively few number of incremental sales brought in by offering a stick it just doesn't make business sense.

This is not surprising because manuals are less fuel efficient in the modern era.

Used to be that the manual trans offered one more gear than it's auto counterpart (in general). Now it is often the other way around, with the manual being a 5 speed and the auto being 6+. Is there many examples of the same number of gears where the manual trans is less efficient? Doesn't seem plausible when you're turning the mass of the tq converter and all of that extra weight/fluid, plus the slippage that occurs in lower gears before lockup. I don't believe a tq converter auto will ever be more efficient than a manual trans if they have the same number of gears, ratios, final drive, etc.

Standouts for me include:

Standard leather on SEL, partial leather on Titanium with full leather optional

2.0L ecoboost standard on Titanium, have to jump down to the SEL to get the 1.6L ecoboost

Trailer tow package deletes the hands free liftgate. Sensors do not operate with the trailer hitch in the way.

Only way to get HID headlamps is Titanium

Keyless door keypad now integrated into B pillar like taurus, explorer and is standard on SE and above.

MyFord Touch available on SE and higher, standard on Titanium

Alot of standard equipment at SE level.

I will be seeing the escape at the auto show today, looking forward to seeing it in person, will probably order one once Ford decides to open the order bank.

Engine Options:

Escape S: 2.5 Standard (no options)

Escape SE: 1.6EB Standard (2.0 EB Optional)

Escape SEL: 1.6EB Standard (2.0 EB Optional)

Escape Titanium: 2.0 EB Standard

Retail Series Mix:

S: 10%

SE: 60% (Wow!)

SEL: 17%

Titanium: 6%

It sounds like the 2.5L is the fleet special. I doubt many retail costumers are buying the S. So I'm assuming Ford has a good grip on 1.6EB production, right?

And yes, the Escape and Fusion sport the new touch-sensitive keypad.

Ford+Escape+032.jpg

Edited by BORG

I beg to differ, there is a reason. That being that there are people that want them. Efficiency is great but it is not like there is a 20% difference! I am more than willing to give up 1 or 2 mpg for a stick. And I get that the number of people who want sticks are dwindling and the number that will not buy a car they want because one is not available is far less still. I think it is a sad time and over the mext ten years i would not be surprised for the stick to disappear from the Fiesta and Focus. Hopefully it will stay in the Mustang forever. I will not buy an auto until I loose the ability to push in a clutch, and at that point I might as well let my wife drive.

• Like 2

wrong, they just dont fare as well in testing, real world can be entirely different. AND I can back that statement up, I have BOTH an Auto and Manual Fiesta......

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 2

As for the Stick, well maybe the Fusion and Focus are going to share the MT 1.6 EB?

I don't think I've ever seen a manual equipped Escape....much like a MT Focus Wagon back a couple years ago...

I certainly hope so, I understand Fords marketing strategy as a majority of people would be clueless, let alone dangerous being in a vehicle whos driving actually involved hands on, a thought process and co-ordination :stirpot: the continual dumbing down of the driving experience bothers the crap out of me, and I find it REFRESHING when someone comes in on one of Fords performance vehicles and proclaims " What?....no Automatic?????? " PRICELESS. I should be happy ford still caters to driving enthusiasts....

Edited by Deanh

It sounds like the 2.5L is the fleet special. I doubt many retail costumers are buying the S. So I'm assuming Ford has a good grip on 1.6EB production, right?

Thanks for the engine availability details. Is the 2.5L engine offering the same Mazda MZR based design that's standard on the current (2012 MY) Escape and Fusion? It's a very good unit, particularly when paired with a manual transmission - smooth, responsive, and fuel efficient.

Engine Options:

Escape S: 2.5 Standard (no options)

Escape SE: 1.6EB Standard (2.0 EB Optional)

Escape SEL: 1.6EB Standard (2.0 EB Optional)

Escape Titanium: 2.0 EB Standard

Retail Series Mix:

S: 10%

SE: 60% (Wow!)

SEL: 17%

Titanium: 6%

Wow, I wasn't expecting the retail grades to be Ecoboost only. That's a serious bet on consumer acceptance of the 1.6 turbo.

edit: retail sales mix add up to 93%... Does Ford expect 7% from some other model? Like mmm.... ST?

Edited by bzcat

In EPA testing.

Most people should still be able to get better real life MPG out of manual than automatic.

+1

Consumer Reports' evaluations confirm this. In most cases when both manual and automatic versions of a car were tested, the MT variant delivered better fuel economy and quicker acceleration.