2 on the pole @ Daytona

I'm glad we have the top 2 spots.....However, after watching the Toyotas virtually walk by the Fords in the shootout, when they wanted to at the end of the race, and especially Tony Stewart towards the end...he was way faster than any Ford...it makes me wonder if they are going to continue to dominate? The pole is nice but its only a lap or two. I'm hearing this also from other Ford fans. Waz up?

1st 2

4 of 5

6 of 9

9 of 16 and Ford has less than chevy in the race :hysterical:

Carl said Ford built the company the right way.

Ford = USA1

Shows some of the R&D that went into the NASCAR FR9 engine. With it's improved internal cooling from water and oil, it runs cooler than some others with grills blocked off like they do in qualifying. They can run more tape on nose for more down force. I noticed all the Chevy's were blowing steam out the over flow by the second lap of qualifying. Fords didn't do that. That may mean the Chevy's can't push car in front as many laps in race. Can hear the Chevy teams crying and moaning now.

Don't know how they will do in the actual race when grills are opened up more and they are not running noise to tail. We probably got a glimpse of that last night in shoot out.

Edited by Ralph Greene

Biffle had one of the strongest cars in the Shootout but he got shuffled to the back several times. I think the 500 could be different with more Fords near the front. Whatever the case may be I hope all the redneck Earnhardt fans are happy now that crashfest racing is back. Ford won both races at Daytona last year when power and better cooling were bigger factors. As anyone with half a brain could see last night pack racing is all about survival. :banghead:

• Like 3

I think they now get fuel injection this year. Lets face it, the France family sold out the true American race when they let the Toyotas in. I also throw a critical eye at those 2 knucklehead Waltrip brothers who promoted the Toyotas intro more than anyone else. I do notice attendance down since then, but unfortunately in today's new progressive society you're going to get "those people" that hate Ford and American products. Toyota also seems to get huge sponsors and tons of R&D . Also took some top Rousch guys away and that didn't help. Yesterday, Waltrip's Toyota (Clint Bowyer) was found to be illegal after post inspection...no big deal..they simply go to the back of Tony Stewart have problems...maybe Ford can win.

I miss those days when the #28 Davey Allison Havoline Ford was kicking butt (without restrictors) ! I also was a big fan of Dale Jarrett until he defected to Toyota.

Biffle had one of the strongest cars in the Shootout but he got shuffled to the back several times. I think the 500 could be different with more Fords near the front. Whatever the case may be I hope all the redneck Earnhardt fans are happy now that crashfest racing is back. Ford won both races at Daytona last year when power and better cooling were bigger factors. As anyone with half a brain could see last night pack racing is all about survival. :banghead:

• Like 2

I think they now get fuel injection this year. Lets face it, the France family sold out the true American race when they let the Toyotas in. I also throw a critical eye at those 2 knucklehead Waltrip brothers who promoted the Toyotas intro more than anyone else. I do notice attendance down since then, but unfortunately in today's new progressive society you're going to get "those people" that hate Ford and American products. Toyota also seems to get huge sponsors and tons of R&D . Also took some top Rousch guys away and that didn't help. Yesterday, Waltrip's Toyota (Clint Bowyer) was found to be illegal after post inspection...no big deal..they simply go to the back of Tony Stewart have problems...maybe Ford can win.

I miss those days when the #28 Davey Allison Havoline Ford was kicking butt (without restrictors) ! I also was a big fan of Dale Jarrett until he defected to Toyota.

My prediction for Daytona:

On last lap or next to last lap, about 25 front runners racing for win will take each other out in massive wreck, and Danica Patrick who ran in 30th place or worse for much of race and basically stayed out of trouble will win race as being one of few left standing with straight sheet metal. Then we will see 100 Go Daddy commercials over next month showing off Danica's curves. Danica almost did that at Belle Isle Indy race a few years ago when all the front runnners took themselves out on last lap and Danica came in second because she kept her race car in one piece. She would have won the race if she had actually raced a little more instead of her constant strategy of keeping out of trouble at all costs.

Winning Daytona is like winnning the lottery even if you have fastest race car as there is always massive wrecks late in the race and it comes down to whether you are in the wrong or right place when mayhem ensues. Look at the Bud shoot out with Gordon and Johnson in front most of race and then destroyed cars in next to last lap.

Winning Daytona is like winnning the lottery even if you have fastest race car as there is always massive wrecks late in the race and it comes down to whether you are in the wrong or right place when mayhem ensues. Look at the Bud shoot out with Gordon and Johnson in front most of race and then destroyed cars in next to last lap.

There is a fairly significant difference between this year and last. NASCAR made several changes to the cars to discourage the two car tandems we saw at all the restrictor plate races last year. That was supposedly because the "fans" didn't like tandem racing. In my opinion, what we have now is even worse since we are now back to the cars racing in huge packs waiting for someone to screw up sending half the field spinning into each other and the walls. I think there were several things that led to the changes. First and foremost was the fact that Dale Jr didn't like tandem racing because he wasn't very good at it and his fans are the most vocal. Tandem racing also favored the Fords because of the FR9's superior cooling and their ability to stay tucked in behind the front car for longer periods without overheating. This is somewhat related to the first since Dale Jr doesn't drive a Ford. Last but not least is the fact that too many fans want to see wrecks and pack racing is the best way to ensure that there will be plenty of that.

If less than half the field finishes the qualifying races on Thursday I hope NASCAR at least has the sense to increase the size of the rear spoiler before Sunday which would give the drivers more rear downforce and better control while also reducing the speeds and giving them a little more reaction time when things do go wrong. I can't imagine the car owners putting up with this crap for long. I have to believe one wrecked car is worth more than the minimum payout for making the race.

• Like 1

I am so against the France family buy in with Toyota that I only watch the replays on Speed Center after the race. Ford is ALWAYS outnumbered by the bigger Hendrick and Gibbs teams . I am still wondering how Tony Stewart just seems to rocket in front at will. Crazy man Bush struggles a little more, but also seems to power ahead. I would rather see a GM car win (if Ford doesn't) than to EVER see a Japanese car win. Toyota has huge financial backing with its teams. Only one thing is for sure...Michael Waltrip will cause a wreck! Go Edwards!

There is a fairly significant difference between this year and last. NASCAR made several changes to the cars to discourage the two car tandems we saw at all the restrictor plate races last year. That was supposedly because the "fans" didn't like tandem racing. In my opinion, what we have now is even worse since we are now back to the cars racing in huge packs waiting for someone to screw up sending half the field spinning into each other and the walls. I think there were several things that led to the changes. First and foremost was the fact that Dale Jr didn't like tandem racing because he wasn't very good at it and his fans are the most vocal. Tandem racing also favored the Fords because of the FR9's superior cooling and their ability to stay tucked in behind the front car for longer periods without overheating. This is somewhat related to the first since Dale Jr doesn't drive a Ford. Last but not least is the fact that too many fans want to see wrecks and pack racing is the best way to ensure that there will be plenty of that.

If less than half the field finishes the qualifying races on Thursday I hope NASCAR at least has the sense to increase the size of the rear spoiler before Sunday which would give the drivers more rear downforce and better control while also reducing the speeds and giving them a little more reaction time when things do go wrong. I can't imagine the car owners putting up with this crap for long. I have to believe one wrecked car is worth more than the minimum payout for making the race.

• Like 1

I am so against the France family buy in with Toyota that I only watch the replays on Speed Center after the race. Ford is ALWAYS outnumbered by the bigger Hendrick and Gibbs teams . I am still wondering how Tony Stewart just seems to rocket in front at will. Crazy man Bush struggles a little more, but also seems to power ahead. I would rather see a GM car win (if Ford doesn't) than to EVER see a Japanese car win. Toyota has huge financial backing with its teams. Only one thing is for sure...Michael Waltrip will cause a wreck! Go Edwards!

I've Been a "Ford guy" since the early 60s; with my first new Ford being a 1965 Fastback GT. I've also followed NASCAR for over four decades and had season tickets to several races for many years. I have often been frustrated with NASCAR's GM leaning ways. The Toyota thing hasn't bothered me at all as I see it helps nullify GM's favorite son status. I root for the Fords first (regardless of the driver); and then anything other than a GM entry. My Mark Martin stickers are gone from my F-150; and my Bill Elliot stand-up and his Goodyear Atlanta qualifying tire are history at my house.

• Like 1

I've Been a "Ford guy" since the early 60s; with my first new Ford being a 1965 Fastback GT. I've also followed NASCAR for over four decades and had season tickets to several races for many years. I have often been frustrated with NASCAR's GM leaning ways. The Toyota thing hasn't bothered me at all as I see it helps nullify GM's favorite son status. I root for the Fords first (regardless of the driver); and then anything other than a GM entry. My Mark Martin stickers are gone from my F-150; and my Bill Elliot stand-up and his Goodyear Atlanta qualifying tire are history at my house.

Man, you guys are a tough crowd!

I can't remember if it was Bud Moore or Leonard Wood who told the story about them going to NASCAR back in the seventies and asking for help with the rules so they could compete with the GM entries. All of the factories had pulled out by then and they were the only ones still running Fords and Mercurys. T'birds and Montegos were huge bricks at the time. NASCAR's response: "if you don't like the rules you can switch to GM".

BTW, I still have a $2 bill signed by Awesome Bill. Ironically, he finished second in the points to Darryl Waltrip the same year I had him autograph it. I think that was in 1985. I guess I jinxed him. :shades:

My Mark Martin stickers are gone from my F-150; and my Bill Elliot stand-up and his Goodyear Atlanta qualifying tire are history at my house.

I'd pass that off as good taste.

Neither Mark Martin nor Bill Elliott parted with Ford on any but the best of terms. I don't think anyone at Ford racing begrudges them for switching brands, given that Ford has pursued an incredibly conservative strategy in Nascar of late. There just wasn't room at Ford's three (count 'em three) teams for either Mark or Bill, and when they left, it was with mutual goodwill.

Mark was nudged out at Roush, and where was he going to go? Yates? Nope. Wood Bros? Nope. So, it's out of the Ford family in 2006 unless he wants to start his own team (I'm sure Ford would've supplied him).

Same way with Awesome Bill. He was wrapping up his own team (which ran Fords) and where was he going to go? Was Ford going to front Yates or Roush the money and personnel to add Bill Elliot to one of their teams? Nope. So where you gonna go? Wood Bros? Nope. So it's out of the Ford family.

I don't begrudge either of those guys. It's kind of like Ray Bourque asking for a trade to Colorado after 20 years in Boston. I don't think any reasonable person could resent a move like that.

"I don't begrudge either of those guys. It's kind of like Ray Bourque asking for a trade to Colorado after 20 years in Boston. I don't think any reasonable person could resent a move like that. "

I don't wish Bill nor Mark any ill will; nor do I consider them "bad guys" for leaving Ford, whatever the circumstances. However, my interest in NASCAR , as in other motorsports, is to enjoy Ford victories, primarily over GM entrants. When they leave the Ford camp, I have no desire to keep, nor display their items. You don't have to defend those guys to me. They are just not on my team anymore.

• Like 2

I'd pass that off as good taste.

Neither Mark Martin nor Bill Elliott parted with Ford on any but the best of terms. I don't think anyone at Ford racing begrudges them for switching brands, given that Ford has pursued an incredibly conservative strategy in Nascar of late. There just wasn't room at Ford's three (count 'em three) teams for either Mark or Bill, and when they left, it was with mutual goodwill.

Mark was nudged out at Roush, and where was he going to go? Yates? Nope. Wood Bros? Nope. So, it's out of the Ford family in 2006 unless he wants to start his own team (I'm sure Ford would've supplied him).

Same way with Awesome Bill. He was wrapping up his own team (which ran Fords) and where was he going to go? Was Ford going to front Yates or Roush the money and personnel to add Bill Elliot to one of their teams? Nope. So where you gonna go? Wood Bros? Nope. So it's out of the Ford family.

I don't begrudge either of those guys. It's kind of like Ray Bourque asking for a trade to Colorado after 20 years in Boston. I don't think any reasonable person could resent a move like that.

Revisionist much? Mark wanted to retire and then decided he wanted to run part-time. Need to go back and check dates and numbers.

Revisionist much? Mark wanted to retire and then decided he wanted to run part-time. Need to go back and check dates and numbers.

Mark said he wanted to retire. What somebody in the NASCAR circus says, and what the reality is, may or may not coincide. When ya got decals for headlights for a "stock" car, reality isn't Job 1. :)

Mark said he wanted to retire. What somebody in the NASCAR circus says, and what the reality is, may or may not coincide. When ya got decals for headlights for a "stock" car, reality isn't Job 1. :)

Call Mark a liar if you want but he said it and when there was no opening for a part-time ride he hooked up with a chevy and split the ride with Regan Smith. Then Hendrick signed him to a full time for 4 years and this year he is back to part-time with Waltrip. Figure it out for yourself.

What part of what I said conflicts with what you said?

Mark was effectively nudged out at Roush. They weren't going to run him part time with another driver so he went to a team that would do that.

What part of what I said conflicts with what you said?

Mark was effectively nudged out at Roush. They weren't going to run him part time with another driver so he went to a team that would do that.

How and who nudged him. He announced his retirement and Carl was brought up. All on Mark not Roush.