2013-Nissan-Altima-slideshow

LoveTaurus

• 2 weeks later...

Those are some of the strangest press photos I've ever seen. On the Altima itself, the exterior looks like a step backwards from the current one in my opinion.

The styling makes me think they're chasing the bizarre wrinke/crease/character-line look of the Korean brands.

• 2 weeks later...

I rented a 2012 Altima for 5 days last week. This car had 1900 miles on it and it did not compare with my 2010 Fusion. Driving dynamics, interior, noise ( speaking of noise I thought the engine was low on oil as it ticked very loud until it was warmed up). I just dont see why this thing sells as well as it does.

I rented a 2012 Altima for 5 days last week. This car had 1900 miles on it and it did not compare with my 2010 Fusion. Driving dynamics, interior, noise ( speaking of noise I thought the engine was low on oil as it ticked very loud until it was warmed up). I just dont see why this thing sells as well as it does.

Altima is a few thousand cheaper than Fusion (comparing mid-level trims)

The Altima is selling well to rental car fleets, and those with lower than desired credit worthiness and attractive lease alternatives. Ironically, each person I know that has had one has had to dump it around 70K miles because it just became an unreliable nightmare...

I just dont see why this thing sells as well as it does.

Fourth generation Altima has a favorable combination of interior room, ride comfort, fuel economy, performance, and price. While I too prefer the Ford Fusion, the Altima is a decent choice among midsize sedans in the U.S. market.

Ironically, each person I know that has had one has had to dump it around 70K miles because it just became an unreliable nightmare...

What are some of the issues cited by your friends/acquaintances who previously owned fourth generation Altimas?

Not feeling it, and I'm a long time Nissan fan (not nearly as long as I've been a Ford fan). To me, it has followed the recent updates to the Maxima, which I'm not fond of.

From the front, it's not too bad, just a little bland. I really dislike the rear, as this is the section that has the most resemblence to the Maxima, which is simply unappealing. From the profile, the front fenders look too much like the new Mazada 6 wheel humps/arches, and the rear section like the Maxima. Those are two design elements that are a huge dislike. As for the interior, I like it. It's improved over the outgoing model, but I do not like that steering wheel design.

On the Altima itself, the exterior looks like a step backwards from the current one in my opinion.

Totally agree. The 2002-2012 models (yes that's 2 models 02-06 & 07-12) were much better styled.

I've driven my friends 2010 Altima a few times, as well as a 2010 or 2011 Fusion dealer rental, and must totally disagree. As for appeal factor, I like both vehicles, but prefer the overall design (inside & out) of the Altima. The one dislike on the exterior style of the Altima was the recently updated facsia (like the 2007-2009 front much better). The Altima felt much more planted and secure while driving. It was a little rougher of a ride though, which I'd attribute to the sports tuned suspension setup. The Fusion was a cushier ride, like a Camry of Accord. Both had decently good interiors, and think the Ford may have nudged the Altima just slightly in the quality of material used. Otherwise, the layout of the center stack, design of the steering wheel and gauges were much more appealing in the Altima than they were in the Fusion. As for performance, both were good vehicles, but I liked the Fusions 6spd auto over the Altima CVT. Prefered the Altima 2.5 over the Fusion 2.5 though, as the torque seemed stronger in the Altima, which did provide for a slight bit torque steer.

Not dogging the Fusion, or praising the Altima, as Iike both cars overall. I just think the Altima is a better overall vehicle.

Altima is a few thousand cheaper than Fusion (comparing mid-level trims)

Starting price for an Altima is $20,550, whereas a Fusion is $20,705. Heck, went to both Nissan and Ford sites and decked out each, including all options, not including accesories like floor mats, security system, etc and the prices broke down to $31,760 for the Fusion 3.5L AWD and $32,630 for the Altima. As for mid-level models, it really depends on which mid-level model you purchase and what accesories/options are included.

So we could always compare models and price, but all depends on equipment. It simply shows from the bottom end, the Altima really isn't that much cheaper (less than $200 difference), and on the top end the Altima is roughly $800 more. Price is simply not a real factor when comparing these two vehicles.

The Altima is selling well to rental car fleets, and those with lower than desired credit worthiness and attractive lease alternatives. Ironically, each person I know that has had one has had to dump it around 70K miles because it just became an unreliable nightmare...

My wife drives a 2004 Altima and it has roughly 120K miles on it now. No problems other than just installed a new alternator and about to install our 3rd set of struts. The alternator didn't go out, but you could hear the ball bearings scraping when turning the car off, so we knew it was on its way out. And for the struts, if you ride with my wife, you'll know the problem isn't the struts it's the way my wife drives. Only problems to date.

As for my friends 2010 Altima he hasn't reported any issues that I know of with it since purchase.

Edited by V8-X