2013 Escape Build and Price

Svtenthusiast, I'm the biggest ford fan you'll ever meet. I've never owed any vehicle that wasn't a ford family product. I understand that it is upgraded over the previous model but I'm comparing it to a brand new model of another make. I'm sure the escape will outsell the cx5 five to one but I still think its a better value.

Edited by tdubztx1

Production ends 4/27 in Claycomo, Missouri

The new plant in Louisville, Kentucky is where they used to make the last gen Explorer

Thanks, I knew they were transitioning to the former Explorer plant so it's good they get to keep one running to keep up inventory.

The cx5 has brand new sky active engines with get up to 35 mpg with 150 hp and 155 ft in of torque. It has 40.1 in headroom, 57.5 shoulder, 55.2 hip, and 41 leg? The escape has 39.9 head, 56 shoulder, 54.8 hip, and 43.1 leg. So if you think the cx5 is small, you might be surprised by the escape since it is smaller in every area except legroom. So same size basically and same features, it's still a few grand more. I'm sure the escape will have more power and better ride and probably similar mpg. The cx5 will probably have a more sporty feel. I guess it depends on what you like. If the price was about 2 thousand less id choose the escape in a heartbeat. That new Hyundai Santa fe they showed at the new York autos how looked pretty nice to. It will be interesting to see how much that is priced

I never compared the numbers, but it sure seemed smaller to me. I like the looks of the CX7 and CX9, it's the lack of design, detail and refinement in the interiors that turns me away from Mazda, that and I would never buy a foreign car over a Ford. The Escape will have more power, but I disagree on the sporty feel. With EPAS, torque vectoring control, MacPherson struts and multilink rear suspension, I think it will handle really well for an SUV, better than any others in the same class. I currently have a 2012 Focus and I'm aware it's a lighter, shorter vehicle designed for handling and not towing or hauling, but it also has all those suspension features and it is great to drive.

Edited by transitman

I never compared the numbers, but it sure seemed smaller to me. I like the looks of the CX7 and CX9, it's the lack of design, detail and refinement in the interiors that turns me away from Mazda, that and I would never buy a foreign car over a Ford. The Escape will have more power, but I disagree on the sporty feel. With EPAS, torque vectoring control, MacPherson struts and multilink rear suspension, I think it will handle really well for an SUV, better than any others in the same class. I currently have a 2012 Focus and I'm aware it's a lighter, shorter vehicle designed for handling and not towing or hauling, but it also has all those suspension features and it is great to drive.

I got to sit an a cx5 yesterday. There was plenty of room and I'm 6 2 240. You are right though the down fall of the cx5 is the interior. I liked all the features it had for the price but the quality of the interior isn't even as good as my mazda3. I can't wait to see what the escape looks like in person.

I priced out an se with the equipment package and my ford touch. It was a little over 27000. With a plan that will probably put it right where I want it to be. For that price though might as well bump it up to the sel.

Wish the fusion build and price would hurry up and come out. That would simplify things for me

"minimum" build for me is SE + MyFord Touch (AWD 1.6) - MSRP of $28.4... features/capabilities wise, it seems that i'd have to sell for around $26k to make it an equivalent of CX-5 Touring trim. CR-V is targetting slightly different segment (super thrifty!) - but it offers a lot of features good economics and great cargo space for around $23k (real life pricing)... and now the new Santa Fe... it's a very cramped field...

How do we know once a VIN has been assigned to an order? At this point, all I have is an order number and dealer number.

Ask your salesman to contact you once he has your VIN. I don't remember what it's called, but dealerships get a report with newly assigned VIN's every Thursday or Friday.

You would have to get it from your ordering dealer. I wouldn't start asking until after 5/10.

When I ordered mine the sales manager came by and congratulated me and said he'll see me at the end of April. That made me wonder later if they were going to order my Escape as part of the dealer allocation and not as a retail order. Has anyone heard of this happening or can dealerships order vehicles for customers this way?

When I ordered mine the sales manager came by and congratulated me and said he'll see me at the end of April. That made me wonder later if they were going to order my Escape as part of the dealer allocation and not as a retail order. Has anyone heard of this happening or can dealerships order vehicles for customers this way?

Our '08 Warriors in Pink Mustang was ordered this way, as a stock unit for the dealer rather than a customer order.

Our '08 Warriors in Pink Mustang was ordered this way, as a stock unit for the dealer rather than a customer order.

That encouraging. I said to him that retail orders don't begin until 5-10 and he didn't correct his statement. I guess I'm a preferred customer, I've ordered two new vehicles from this dealership in less than two years and traded in some cherry vehicles for them to make up the profit.

Yes, it can be ordered as stock. Only problem with dealers ordering as stock is those units are not eligible for price protection and rebates at time of order. Stock units will price as the window sticker shows and any current rebates at the time of delivery. I have seen price increases when they arrive, my Focus was $150 more than original. With the wierd pricing on the Titanium Escape (being such a better deal than the SEL) we didn't want to chance an order as stock and have an issue with pricing. I also figured what's another month to make sure everything is worked out the first month of production. That's why they don't schedule retails until a month later.

Yes, it can be ordered as stock. Only problem with dealers ordering as stock is those units are not eligible for price protection and rebates at time of order. Stock units will price as the window sticker shows and any current rebates at the time of delivery. I have seen price increases when they arrive, my Focus was $150 more than original. With the wierd pricing on the Titanium Escape (being such a better deal than the SEL) we didn't want to chance an order as stock and have an issue with pricing. I also figured what's another month to make sure everything is worked out the first month of production. That's why they don't schedule retails until a month later.

I got a price from the salesman and sales manager, which I suppose can change, but I also can refuse and go somewhere else if they try to pull a fast one. As much as I want it now, I'll wait for the price I want to pay. I'm confident that won't happen, this is a small family shop that's been selling cars since 1954. I know it hasn't been full production to this point, but a bunch of Escapes have been built and I think the kinks will be worked out when the first vehicle comes off the line, so I'm not worried about assembly quality issues. With any vehicle, my main concerns are the mechanical systems that are jobbed out, which Ford and the assembly plant have no control over.

Confirmed:

2.0 Ecoboost FWD 22/30

2.0 Ecoboost AWD 21/28

2.5 NA VCT 22/31

No numbers for the Ecoboost 1.6 engine.

I believe in Ford's press release they projected 33mpg highway for the 1.6 and something like 23-24mpg highway. I would bet they meet that number spot on or are very close. The EB 2.0 AWD fuel mileage numbers are pretty good. And I wish Ford would make the 2.5 available on other trim lines than just the base model for fleet. It's pretty much a bulletproof engine offering about same power as 1.6 EB and very decent fuel mileage.

I believe in Ford's press release they projected 33mpg highway for the 1.6 and something like 23-24mpg highway. I would bet they meet that number spot on or are very close. The EB 2.0 AWD fuel mileage numbers are pretty good. And I wish Ford would make the 2.5 available on other trim lines than just the base model for fleet. It's pretty much a bulletproof engine offering about same power as 1.6 EB and very decent fuel mileage.

Thats means it won't beat the Mazda CX-5...thats a little concerning. I was hopoing for 36mpg on the highway to make it the "class leader"