Ford, PSA end tie-up on large diesel engines

TURIN -- Ford Motor Co. and PSA/Peugeot Citroen said they will end their partnership for joint development of large diesel engines.

Both companies said the move was not related to PSA's new alliance with General Motors Co.

The decision to develop larger diesel engines separately "was being discussed with PSA well before the GM-PSA announcement," a Ford spokesman told Automotive News Europe today. A PSA spokesman also said the decision "was not due to our alliance with GM."

A joint Ford-PSA statement said the two companies "have decided to independently develop and manufacture their larger diesel engines (2.0-liter and above) to meet their future needs as well as new regulations."

Light commercial vehicles built after 2015 will be the first to use large diesel engines developed and built separately, the companies said.

Ford said the cooperation with PSA will continue in medium displacement 1.4-liter to 1.6-liter diesels, which accounted for about 75 percent of the more than 20 million engines the two partners have built in the last 12 years.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20120405/COPY01/304059787#ixzz1rH3BLthw

TURIN -- Ford Motor Co. and PSA/Peugeot Citroen said they will end their partnership for joint development of large diesel engines.

Both companies said the move was not related to PSA's new alliance with General Motors Co.

The decision to develop larger diesel engines separately "was being discussed with PSA well before the GM-PSA announcement," a Ford spokesman told Automotive News Europe today. A PSA spokesman also said the decision "was not due to our alliance with GM."

A joint Ford-PSA statement said the two companies "have decided to independently develop and manufacture their larger diesel engines (2.0-liter and above) to meet their future needs as well as new regulations."

Light commercial vehicles built after 2015 will be the first to use large diesel engines developed and built separately, the companies said.

Ford said the cooperation with PSA will continue in medium displacement 1.4-liter to 1.6-liter diesels, which accounted for about 75 percent of the more than 20 million engines the two partners have built in the last 12 years.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20120405/COPY01/304059787#ixzz1rH3BLthw

1.4 liter is considered medium displacement? :headscratch:

PSA/Peugeot wouldn't be my first choice for co-developing large diesels anyway. I wonder if CAT is looking for a partner?

Cat has a partner in Navistar these days. Doubtful they will ever get back into highway engines themselves, and after the ACCERT debacle, Cat is not missed anyway.

IIRC, Ford Otosan Turkey produces a 9 liter diesel for their EU Cargo trucks. I believe it's an in-line 6.

http://www.ford.com....d-cargo/ecotorq

4a45baf6e9851414433639eff0781955.jpg

I wonder who produces the diesels for Jag and L-R? Is Ford still doing production, or is it Citroen-Peugeot? IIRC, L-R is buying the 4.4 V-8 from Ford. :)

I-4 and V6 diesels are all produced at Ford Dagenham.

The 9 liter diesel used in Cargo is actually a big upgrade on the original 7.3 I-6 Ecotorq diesel with CGI block.