Why no trucks smaller than F-150?

Many people buy motorcycles. Should Ford start selling those too?

The motoring enthusiast in me says, "Absolutely; it would be great to have Ford sell its own competitor to the Yamaha YZF-R1 and Honda CBR-1000RR."

The investor in me says, "No. Ford currently has to contend with many issues internal to the company itself as well others associated with the automotive industry and macroeconomic factors in general. It should resolve those before pursuing entry into the motorcycle market."

Edited by aneekr

Ah, Nick and Kirby-just won't go away huh? And for good reason. Yes 150 sales numbers are good. but conditions change. 23MPG in a150 is good-if you want or NEED a truck the size of the 150. Shot of my latest Ranger trip yesterday- two 44-18 x 20's with a set of heavy industrial grade tire chains. 225 miles at 20.3 mpg-combo highway, city, rural state roads. Just think what it would have been with an efficient engine vs. the 4.0??

bottom line as I see it, the 150 and 250 MUST end up with the same platform as they had 20 hyears ago. then there WILL be justification for something like T-6.

And PLEASE-no cheese box Transit Connect with a tin box in theback as my alternative truck. Every post on this thread has made valid points and you guys keep comiong back to.."get over it" and words to the effect that... "150 sells like hotcakes-therefore no need for anything else"...

That guys is TODAY's newspaper.

post-609-0-96346000-1339607795_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Bob - we'll give up when the idiots stop asking the same questions over and over and over.

It's never been a question of whether there is a market and whether some buyers want it.

It's always been a question of whether it's a smart INVESTMENT for Ford at this point in time given the current state of the pickup market and other projects that Ford is working on.

Surely you understand the market potential of a full sized truck that gets significantly better fuel mileage than current full sized pickups that can literally blow away the competition in a 2M unit market - versus a small truck that might represent an incremental improvement in a market that is only 300K at best.

Where would you spend your money?

Bob - we'll give up when the idiots stop asking the same questions over and over and over.

It's never been a question of whether there is a market and whether some buyers want it.

It's always been a question of whether it's a smart INVESTMENT for Ford at this point in time given the current state of the pickup market and other projects that Ford is working on.
No argument-I guess from my perspective, I see the overlap in 150/250 or should I say the ELIMINATION of that overlap would have to represent a huge savings that would free up funds for another class of vehicle-be it T-6 or whatever.

Surely you understand the market potential of a full sized truck that gets significantly better fuel mileage than current full sized pickups that can literally blow away the competition in a 2M unit market - versus a small truck that might represent an incremental improvement in a market that is only 300K at best.

Where would you spend your money?

Has anyone seriously considered the development costs that Ford is doing to try to keep the overweight F-150 competitive and in the 20+ mpg category? When does that investment turn into something that truly benefits the customer?

The only way this big truck delivers that kind of mileage is with 3.31 gears and 2WD and still wonder if anyone on this forum reads other forums? In case you haven't found the right one, go to F150forum.com/ and don't even have to go too far. Just check out the sticky threads.

Lots of likely good info there on what is wrong with the current F-150 and Ford's attitude toward fixing it. Like I said before, it's a lot of things. But frankly, I think it has a lot to do with trying to make a too small engine work into a mileage champ in an overweight vehicle for just the right people.

And, then they get told that combo is not really meant to tow anything - even a garden tractor!

Do some reading folks. This many people could not all be wrong.

Haven't got a clue where we go from here but at the moment - the current Ford truck climate is not good. And not the least bit convinced - as usual - that this forum has anyone on it that understands or worries about current/future truck offerings.

Just bottom line profits. Look at the history of big over confident companies that have turned a blind eye to the consumer before. It's not pretty.

Hmmm, the F150 forums I frequent seem to appreciate ALL of the engines, including the 3.7L "mileage champ". Sure, you have folks dogging on each engine, which is to be expected, but for the most part, owners are happy with the engine they have chosen.

And, just FYI, turning a blind eye to the consumer is not looking at bottom line profits. It will come back to bite you in the butt later. Ford gets this, especially with trucks. Are profits from the F-Series important? You dam right they are! Does Ford get there by forgetting about the customers? Ummm, no! Look at the sales over the last couple years, and you will see that Ford is giving the customer what they want. I'm sure that the next F150 will show that even more!

Has anyone seriously considered the development costs that Ford is doing to try to keep the overweight F-150 competitive and in the 20+ mpg category? When does that investment turn into something that truly benefits the customer?

The only way this big truck delivers that kind of mileage is with 3.31 gears and 2WD and still wonder if anyone on this forum reads other forums? In case you haven't found the right one, go to F150forum.com/ and don't even have to go too far. Just check out the sticky threads.

Lots of likely good info there on what is wrong with the current F-150 and Ford's attitude toward fixing it. Like I said before, it's a lot of things. But frankly, I think it has a lot to do with trying to make a too small engine work into a mileage champ in an overweight vehicle for just the right people.

And, then they get told that combo is not really meant to tow anything - even a garden tractor!

Do some reading folks. This many people could not all be wrong.

Haven't got a clue where we go from here but at the moment - the current Ford truck climate is not good. And not the least bit convinced - as usual - that this forum has anyone on it that understands or worries about current/future truck offerings.

Just bottom line profits. Look at the history of big over confident companies that have turned a blind eye to the consumer before. It's not pretty.

So you think Ford needs big changes to make a fuel efficient full sized truck? Great, because so does Ford. What do you think they've been working on all this time? It's not just gearing and engines, it's likely to be a game changer for fuel economy. My guess is it will be a smaller (but still full sized) quarter ton like the old F-100 with significantly lighter materials and maybe even a hybrid drivetrain of some kind (or at least a small ecoboost with start/stop).

I looked at f150forum.com and I only saw one thread reporting a shudder and that said it was fixed. The 3.5L EB is new to trucks and RWD - it will take a couple of years to get the kinks worked out.

Perhaps we understand what Ford is doing way better than you do. Not every decision is driven by bottom line profits. The new F150 is going to cost a bundle in development costs but it's necessary to ensure it stays competitive if gas prices go back up and with CAFE changes.

What you're basically saying is that Ford should build what YOU want regardless of whether it makes money and that's ridiculous. Would you work for free?

Just give it up. Can't argue reasonably with these people. Seriously doubt any of them has ever owned a truck or tried to use one for very long. I do suggest to them though a thought - again.

Get off this forum and read some of the other forums. Ford has a big problem or probably multiple problems with the little Eco-Boost engine in this application. Maybe the latest TSB just released will address some of it. No way to get around a likely properly designed engine, but way too limited development process in a too heavy application.

Ford also has a few other problems - granted less - with the 5.0 converted from car to truck engine. Time will tell.

And, lastly - the 6-speed tranny has been and still is a problem. Still hard to figure why the electronic power steering is a proper way to go with a more or less heavy duty truck. Not working very good either.

These folks can scream Ford hype for a long time and buyers still buy into it. For me, I'll wait until I can buy a fuel efficient Ford truck (one that stays fuel efficient beyond 20,000 miles) with some known reliability. And that reliabity thing is getting questionable. Not to speak of fuel economy if these trucks are used somewhere off the EPA scale with tiny rear gears, 2WD and at 55 mph. Ford seems to have surely nailed that combo for the EPA with this generation.

Will be waiting for sure for smaller and lighter. The 2015 truck pictures look interesting. Just a shame so much development costs went into the current F-150. And the T-6 was ignored for North America with what appears could have been great 6-cylinder options for it. The 3.7 V-6 as base and the 3.5 Eco as a big upgraded option for the T-6.

Let the F-150 run with the light duty 3.7 V-6 as base too and upgrade to the 5.0 light-duty V-8 and the 6.2 V-8 for heavier duty.

OK I'm dreaming again for what could have been.