S-Max spyshots in the US again

I don't know. After both CD4 plants are up to full speed, just Fusion and MKZ sedans will not be enough, they will need some variations to keep them going. New Edge, new Taurus, wagon, or MPV?

IMHO, Edge and Galaxy should turn into one vehicle. And one of GC-MAX or S-MAX should come to NA as minivan alternative.

IMHO, Edge and Galaxy should turn into one vehicle. And one of GC-MAX or S-MAX should come to NA as minivan alternative.

The Galaxy and S-Max are more or less the same vehicle (one has sliders vs doors)...I'd expect the S-Max to go away and be replaced by the Edge.

Ford scrapped the Grand C-Max in the US, possibly because they have other plans for a 3-row crossover.

Or this could be testing for the next Edge, in which case what's bolted to it doesn't matter...but that is a long wheel-base for an Edge.

Ford scrapped the Grand C-Max in the US, possibly because they have other plans for a 3-row crossover.

Or this could be testing for the next Edge, in which case what's bolted to it doesn't matter...but that is a long wheel-base for an Edge.

I would think Ford would offer a 3 row option Edge to differentiate it more from 2013 Escape and for those who like the looks of the Edge better than Explorer. The segment seems big enough and still growing to support Escape, 2 row and 3 row Edge, and Explorer. Arguably, the Edge is Ford's best looking CUV and could use another model like 3 row option.

I would think Ford would offer a 3 row option Edge to differentiate it more from 2013 Escape and for those who like the looks of the Edge better than Explorer. The segment seems big enough and still growing to support Escape, 2 row and 3 row Edge, and Explorer. Arguably, the Edge is Ford's best looking CUV and could use another model like 3 row option.

Giving the Edge 3 rows would differentiate it less from the Explorer though. It seems to be in the sweet spot right now as it is. Why mess with it?

The Edge has been geared to be a "Personal CUV", whereas the Explorer is geared more to a family-friendly, CUV, what makes the Edge successful is actually the lack of a 3rd row, and from the marketing of it, its geared to younger professionals who arent just ready for a family (or too smart to have one), just yet.

I would say these S-Max pictures look frumpy though, i would say it looks as if it's a 3rd world offering with the low beltline windows, and just frumpy pillars all around.

I'm all for new product though. If Ford wants to increase market share it'll be by adding more products and maybe a lifestyle vehicle here and there.

I think the main reason Ford cancelled the Grand C-Max is they wanted to have a single model that was all hybrid to try in some way to simulate what Toyota has done. Having an IC Grand C-Max would have confused the message.

On the Edge....Since the implementation of One Ford, we have been basically getting major refreshed versions of EAO product for North America. I don't have major issues with the products to date, but I have a huge problem with S-Max as a replacement for Edge. Instant failure IMO.

I have heard that the same argument raged inside Ford, but has been settled. EAO was pushing for and assumed a freshened S-Max, but North America dug in their heels and we will be getting a greater degree of change that befits a successor to a very successful Edge product. CD4-derived. So we might be seeing some Galaxy or S-Max mules, but I don't believe they are at all representative of the final product.

• Like 1

I have heard that the same argument raged inside Ford, but has been settled. EAO was pushing for and assumed a freshened S-Max, but North America dug in their heels and we will be getting a greater degree of change that befits a successor to a very successful Edge product. CD4-derived. So we might be seeing some Galaxy or S-Max mules, but I don't believe they are at all representative of the final product.

I was under the impression that Europe wanted an Edge type vehicle and was the development center for the next gen one. I never understood why the Galaxy and S-Max where so alike either...